• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What is the worst game that has stolen 40+ hours of your life?

ReBurn

Gold Member
If a game doesn't hook me in the first couple of hours I usually drop it. That said I probably spent more than 400 hours playing ET on Atari 2600 and I believe if it had been named anything else it would have been just fine for the time.

3liteDragon

I like to torture myself.

IMG_6546.png

ChoosableOne

ChoosableAll
Diablo 3

Gta 5
Horizon Zero Dawn
Fallout 3
God of war 3
Uncharted 1, 4
Persona 3, 4
The longest journey
Planescape Torment
Quake 4
Doom 3

+
------------
600 hours wasted. I could've save the world but... nah...

Neolombax

Destiny 2

MiLrla9.png

Honestly quite surprised its reached these numbers. Sometimes I don't know why I do it anymore. Sometimes its to just finish off the battle pass. Its no longer about the loot. I'm pretty comfortable with the weapons I have, they're pretty deadly in most scenarios for PVE and PVP. I guess I just want to see this story through, cant wait for the final expansion and lay this to rest.

Muffdraul

Immortals Fenyx Rising. It was like a barely 10 hour game somehow stretched into at least 40, probably a lot more. It wasn't the worst game ever, but definitely one of those cases where I was ready for it to be over waaaaaaaaaay before it finally ended. Any talk of it being a great game or "better than BotW" or even "better than Assassins Creed" instantly makes me go o_O

Gp1

It's all about the journey guys! :D

That said, my easy pick recently was Starfield.

I fell for that "hey after 30 hours it gets good!"

Last edited:

Cashon

Banned
Well, I took the approach of good ‘bad’ rather than just bad ‘bad’ game.

If you spend 40 hours on something, it has to be doing something right.

And I spent that time mainly jumping off buildings and shooting people in the nuts.
I actually quite enjoyed Crackdown 3. I don't think there's really anything bad about it, if you judge it for what it is (the story would be the weakest point). I always felt like it was called a bad game because of the initial "cloud destruction!" reveal rather than what actually released.

Brigandier

As a huge MGS fan the only game that really falls into this bracket is The Phantom Pain.... I kept going thinking the story was going to pick up and there was going to be some epic MGS type moments.

Instead I got a game where side quests and mission areas were reused and it felt cheap, the enemy ai was thick as pig shit (enemies can't see you in broad daylight running at them with a rocket launcher unless 20 metres away) and the very little story that was there was shallow as a puddle of piss.

The cutscenes of all the important relevant to the series and lore were relegated to tapes, Really....

Then that ending ROFL.

Mikado

Gold Member
Final Fantasy XII

VObCnIO.png

It's a turd of a game that for some reason ate up over 80 hours of my life.
The game had no soul and told one of the worst Final Fantasy stories in the franchise's history complete with a cast of idiots.

It must be awful to be born without a sense of taste; I couldn't imagine what it's like "lollipop_disappointed:

Still, we all have our challenges and kudos to you for living your best life despite your disability :messenger_heart:

Humdinger

I'd have to say it was Two Worlds, back in 2007. A low-quality Euro-jank RPG if there ever was one. For whatever perverse reason, I was in the mood for that sort of thing back then, and so I voluntarily subjected myself to it.

I have to say, though, I had a bunch of laughs at how bad it was. It was one of those "so bad it's good" games -- or, if not "good," exactly, then at least entertaining.

Kataploom

Gold Member
Not 40+ hours but first god of war was a pain to go through, I passed first three hours or so and then were kinda decent except for that part in the ship where you move a box which was a pain due to horrible collision detections.

Then bigger enemies had to be executed with QTE with random inputs which I hated, but could have overcome by just failing and trying again... If it wasn't for the horrible collision detections to make the QTE prompt come out.

Then hades trial or whatever it's called and those fucking collision detections randomly falling in the thin paths section. I literally fell without moving or just jumping in place because that failed 7 times out of 10.

Then collision detections being shit in the another box that you had to move and mount before some spikes came from the floor. Then more enemies with random QTEs where the prompt never appeared sure to stupid collision detections. Then Hell's blades collisions again being shit.

Ffs that game was a chore to go through and I only lasted because it was supposed to be around 9 hours max but that shit felt like hundreds.

It was a shame because while the combat was dumb and easy it was shiny and level design was great imo.

A.Romero

Just wanted to say that it is a great question, OP.

I can't think of any because I seldom play something for that long, specially if it's bad.

T-0800

I'm going to say Halo 4. If it was called anything but Halo no one would care about it. It isn't terrible and it is worth playing if you like the series it's just not very good when compared with what came before it.

Rudius

Sometimes we see these negative Steam reviews with hundreds of hours spent playing a game. Those reviews are funny, but it got me thinking. Have you ever just kept playing a game you didn't like for 40+ hours because you felt like you had to finish it? The one that really sticks out to me is:

Final Fantasy XII

VObCnIO.png

It's a turd of a game that for some reason ate up over 80 hours of my life. I just kept it playing it because I was determined to kill all the giant tortoises. The game had no soul and told one of the worst Final Fantasy stories in the franchise's history complete with a cast of idiots. Fortunately, Lost Odyssey came out fairly soon after and gave me my Gooch fix.
I could never finish XII, despite liking FFX a lot. It felt like a chore after some dozens of hours.

Jedi0608

Does destiny 2 count? I put in about 100 hours which is nothing compared to the (yes) thousands of hours of OG Destiny. At least it only took me a couple days worth of playtime to realize that game was a sinking ship.

Destiny 2, buy new DLC and getting some mates who we used to D1 and early D2 raid with to buy it. Only for us all to be so fucking sick of the grind for high level content we never even played it together, shit takes weeks to level through. Fucking dumb. Last D2 DLC I buy, that's for sure. If Marathon is anything like that goodbye Bungie, you have lost your way. Get back to the cool shit like D1 raids and open events but let matchmaking and LFGs drive it, not fucking grinding and RNG.

Generic

Sometimes we see these negative Steam reviews with hundreds of hours spent playing a game. Those reviews are funny, but it got me thinking. Have you ever just kept playing a game you didn't like for 40+ hours because you felt like you had to finish it? The one that really sticks out to me is:

Final Fantasy XII

VObCnIO.png

It's a turd of a game that for some reason ate up over 80 hours of my life. I just kept it playing it because I was determined to kill all the giant tortoises. The game had no soul and told one of the worst Final Fantasy stories in the franchise's history complete with a cast of idiots. Fortunately, Lost Odyssey came out fairly soon after and gave me my Gooch fix.
Same. Also Okami, which is basically a 40 hours long walking simulator.

These games made me learn to NOT trust gaming hype.

RDR2. One of the worst gameplay experiences in one of the best packages ever. It's hilarious how wide the gulf between game design and presentation is.

It somehow took me close to 40 hours to admit that I thought the game was just fucking terrible to play because I loved looking at it and being in its world.

I've also never played a game like Doom Eternal. It's like I hate-played thrpugh an entire game and I have no idea why I did that in hindsight. Just to shit on it by myself on the couch?

Last edited:

El Muerto

Assassins Creedy Origins and Odyssey. As someone who played every AC game (including psp and ds versions), Odyssey and Origins were an absolute slog. But i felt compelled to beat them as i beat every game in the series. I still have a copy of Valhalla sealed, owned it for 2 years and i really dont feel like playing it.

RaduN

Elden Ring. I spent a total of around 65 hours in it before deciding that I was done with it. I had never played any of the other From Soft Souls games prior, so I was enjoying the game for what it was... For the first 40 hours or so. And then the game just kept going and going and I realized that I wasn't even halfway through.
But the gameplay didn't feel rewarding at all after a while. I didn't feel like I was finding anything worthwhile, the story wasn't interesting (or comprehensible), and, at times, it felt like I was playing a PS3 game or something.

It's not a bad game, but I generally don't spend too much time in games I don't really enjoy, so it's still the worst game I spent more than 40 hours playing.
This ^ word for word.

Also, while not really 40 hours, The Last Us 2. The game overstayed its welcome for way too damn long. I eventualy did finish it though, but with the please be over already mindset.

Edit: How could i forget FFXV. Such a fucking disaster.

Last edited:

poodaddy

I don't think it's a bad game but if I really thought about how many hours I've put into Solitaire despite having literally thousands of games in my backlog, I would probably get kinda bummed out.

saintjules

Why would you play something more than 1-2 hours if it was bad?

I said that once to someone on here who didn't like Starfield after 40 hours. They said that you can't determine a game is bad in 2 hours.

I mean 40 hours is like a few games worth of time if they aren't rpgs. Wild.

Too Human

For some reason, I expected this game to get good and I forced myself to find out that it never does. I then had a friend who guilted me into playing it all the way through again in co-op so he could also eventually find out it was shit. He was also addicted to achievements, so I stuck around for chasing those, too. Never again. Against.

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
Why the fuck would you play a game for 40+ hours if it’s bad?

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
Instead of thinking of a single player game, name a multiplayer game that you've sank 40 hours into and regretted it when it was all said and done.
I rarely play MP games. The only ones I can remember playing for a long time are:
  • COD MW (og) | 50+ hours
  • COD MW 2 (og) | 100+ hours
  • Titanfall 2 | ~60 hours
  • Star Wars Battlefront 2 | ~110 hours
  • Rocket League | 660+ hours
No regrets about playing any of these. Had a blast in all of them.

I tried other MP games: Destiny 2, Apex Legends, COD MW (new), Vampire Masquerade, etc. but quit only after a few hours in all of them as I wasn't enjoying them. Same principle. So no regrets either way :)

belmarduk

Final Fantasy XII

VObCnIO.png

Wow. That's one effeminate looking dude.
Also, why would you want to kill giant tortoises? I get that they were enemy tortoises but giant tortoises are awesome. I'd like to go to the Galápagos Islands one day and see them.

I rarely play MP games. The only ones I can remember playing for a long time are:
  • COD MW (og) | 50+ hours
  • COD MW 2 (og) | 100+ hours
  • Titanfall 2 | ~60 hours
  • Star Wars Battlefront 2 | ~110 hours
  • Rocket League | 660+ hours
No regrets about playing any of these. Had a blast in all of them.

I tried other MP games: Destiny 2, Apex Legends, COD MW (new), Vampire Masquerade, etc. but quit only after a few hours in all of them as I wasn't enjoying them. Same principle. So no regrets either way :)
Not even mp games. I don't have that much time for games anymore...
So you’ve had a perfect record since childhood? I might have enjoyed some games as a child but even I can admit some of them were just average or shitty games back then because I had nothing else to play at the time.

Last edited:

ryzen1

100% Starfield.
Since I paid a shit ton of money for the premium edition. I felt like I had to torture myself for several hours before giving up.

Last edited:

killatopak

Clash of Clan.

I tried really hard because everybody, my friends, classmates, co-workers and their dogs used to play it.

It was the beginning of my villain saga against GAAS.

Top Bottom