• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What Is Your Comfort Game?

We all have a game we keep going back to once in a while that just makes us feel good, feels like “home”. I was wondering what yours is?

Mine is The Legend Of Zelda Ocarina Of Time. That opening with the piano music, hyrule field, kokiri forest. I LOVE IT.

Nj5j1hu.jpg

A close 2nd and 3rd is Majoras Mask and Wind Waker (I LOVE the Zelda series). I think a big part is the music. The island music in the beginning of Wind Waker, sailing theme, and the town theme song in Majoras Mask all make me feel cozy and good. Its almost like watching your favorite sitcom at night when you get home with the characters you love. Same feeling.

11C0job.jpg

LrSQyBe.jpg

Last edited:

Kenneth Haight

Gold Member
GT7 at the moment although I haven’t played it in a while. Cosy chilling in the cafe and making your collection. It’s just a very simple and elegant game but pulled off with style and passion. They keep adding cars and tracks as time goes on also. Absolutely love it.

Also a worthy mention is the spyro trilogy from a few years ago. Brings me back to being a kid and simpler times.

Edit: can I also please add Civilisation 6, this game is a pure delight even on PS5 with a controller. So cosy.

Last edited:

reinking

Gold Member
It is hard for me to go back to single player games. I do go back to World of Warcraft now and then.

DelireMan7

nvd5Nsj.jpg

It always feels good to visit Lordran again. Meeting again its charming NPCs, listening their cryptic dialogs, exploring again these so familiar areas...

I love hearing the ambient sound of bonfires.

And then Firelink shrine theme... This place is so relaxing ! Pure magic.

Going back to Dark Souls is like a nostalgia trip. It's like finding again my childhood bedroom where I felt so well and protected.

Mr Hyde

nvd5Nsj.jpg

It always feels good to visit Lordran again. Meeting again its charming NPCs, listening their cryptic dialogs, exploring again these so familiar areas...

Going back to Dark Souls is like a nostalgia trip. It's like finding again my childhood bedroom where I felt so well and protected.

This! Dark Souls (and the entire trilogy in fact) is my top comfort games. It's just a magical feeling going out on an adventure in these games. The first one is still the GOAT. Praise the comfort!

ReBurn

Gold Member
Currently it's Tetris Effect Connected on Quest 2. Some headphones and the darkness of the game and it's very relaxing.

Kenneth Haight

Gold Member
nvd5Nsj.jpg

Super cosy this time of year with the bonfires and it being really cold outside now. I am chasing the plat as we speak, only a few trophies left.

Music is impeccable

nvd5Nsj.jpg

I’ve been wanting to try a DS game for the first time actually (thinking about starting with Elden Ring tbh) I wonder if the Dark Souls remake gives that same cozy feeling as the original or not?

Last edited:

DelireMan7

I’ve been wanting to try a DS game for the first time actually (thinking about starting with Elden Ring tbh) I wonder if the Dark Souls remake gives that same cozy feeling as the original or not?
The remaster is pretty much the same that the OG. Just slightly better visually and smoother. Other than that, it's the same game.

I can't recommend it enough.

Elden Ring is very good but too big in my opinion. Too much stuff everywhere that dilutes the good thing.
I also recommend it but it's a different approach.

For a more cosy one, I would go for Dark Souls.

DelireMan7

We all have a game we keep going back to once in a while that just makes us feel good, feels like “home”. I was wondering what yours is?

Mine is The Legend Of Zelda Ocarina Of Time. That opening with the piano music, hyrule field, kokiri forest. I LOVE IT.

Nj5j1hu.jpg

A close 2nd and 3rd is Majoras Mask and Wind Waker (I LOVE the Zelda series). I think a big part is the music. The island music in the beginning of Wind Waker, sailing theme, and the town theme song in Majoras Mask all make me feel cozy and good. Its almost like watching your favorite sitcom at night when you get home with the characters you love. Same feeling.

11C0job.jpg

LrSQyBe.jpg
I play recently OoT for the first time. Loved it. I understand your feeling.

I also want to do Majora's Mask and Wind Waker. The latter looks really promising to me

rolandss

GT7 at the moment although I haven’t played it in a while. Cosy chilling in the cafe and making your collection. It’s just a very simple and elegant game but pulled off with style and passion. They keep adding cars and tracks as time goes on also. Absolutely love it.

Also a worthy mention is the spyro trilogy from a few years ago. Brings me back to being a kid and simpler times.
GT7 for me also. It’s the one I keep going back to. Copped a lot of hate but I’m really loving it. I’ve made my “irl car” in the game and nothing better than doing time attacks on a bunch of circuits with it.

DaGwaphics

Similar to @ BennyBlanco BennyBlanco I'll do a skirmish in AO3. With my other go to games being the latest Forza Horizon or Madden if I'm not interested in moving forward with whatever game I'm working on.

Last edited:
The remaster is pretty much the same that the OG. Just slightly better visually and smoother. Other than that, it's the same game.

I can't recommend it enough.

Elden Ring is very good but too big in my opinion. Too much stuff everywhere that dilutes the good thing.
I also recommend it but it's a different approach.

For a more cosy one, I would go for Dark Souls.
You know what, I completely mixed up Dark Souls with Demon Souls. When I mentioned the remake I was thinking of the PS5 Demon Souls remake. Completely different game right?

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
FUEL
Just drive around, roam around, watch the views. Love it.
Also vampire survivors this year. Usually got some rogue like for podcasts. In previous years it was spelunky1,2, enter the gungeon, binding of isaac

Last edited:
Whenever I’m down, stuff is going bad, or I’m in between games, my go to is Stardew Valley; live the life I wish I could actually live. Hits me in a way that no other game can.

DelireMan7

You know what, I completely mixed up Dark Souls with Demon Souls. When I mentioned the remake I was thinking of the PS5 Demon Souls remake. Completely different game right?
Ha ha.

I like a bit less Demon's Souls. The Hub is really cosy but the rest is pretty brutal. Still worth a play if you like the Souls to see where all the magic started.
The remake is the same game with really nice graphics which change a bit the mood. The rest is mostly unchanged (stiff controls included).

Dark Souls is the successor of Demon's Souls and outclass it in all domain in my opinion.

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
VVWc.gif

Comfy.

No, as far as I know they fucked up the lighting and some areas look straight up bad or almost bugged.

Best ways to play Dark Souls are the Prepare to Die Edition on PC and the remaster on Switch, since that one kept the old lighting system.

Last edited:

kingwingin

Not so much a game but the ps4 dashboard music.

My mental state spiraled out of control right after the ps4 launch. I spent weeks just just laying on my floor with it playing in the background.

I still do it to this day. It's both haunting and calming.

Skyfox

It's Dirt 5 right now.

In the past it's been Wipeout and Mirrors edge catalyst, I spent countless hours on Ridge Racer PSP, Daytona USA 2017, Tony Hawks, Resident Evil 2 Remake.

Grildon Tundy

Gold Member
Edit, since my response had already been addressed.

Dead Space 2 is mine. I went from returning this game before my rental period was over back in 2011 because my nerves couldn't handle it to replaying it every year. I find comfort in "mastery" of the super-polished gameplay and in the linearity. This game is the perfect length, imo.

220px-Dead_Space_2_Box_Art.jpg

Last edited:
Not so much a game but the ps4 dashboard music.

My mental state spiraled out of control right after the ps4 launch. I spent weeks just just laying on my floor with it playing in the background.

I still do it to this day. It's both haunting and calming.
It’s weird that the PS4 still feels ‘new’ to me but the menu music takes me back to a very specific time in my life that feels like an era ago.

Last edited:

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
Lately it’s been Vampire Savior 2 because it’s my fix after a busy morning. The characters are great and there’s no real commitment with time. Anakaris is also a great character.

1-FE38-E52-9-A77-4-F37-A4-D3-04-BF7-E9-A66-B8.webp

SF Kosmo

Al Jazeera Special Reporter
I have a few comfort games, mostly short replayable stuff.

Space Channel 5 Part 2
Rez
Space Harrier
Out of this World
Fantasy Zone
Gridrunner++

Top Bottom