• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What Is Your Comfort Game?

GeekyDad

Shin Megami Tensei IV and Animal Crossing are probably two of the easiest games for me to come back to. Probably just a collection of games I've been collecting over the years. I think that's why I'm so discerning about what I let me pallet taste these days. I need comfort more than ever I think. FFT A2 and Tactics Ogre are also go-to comfort games, of course.

BGE-cover.jpg

Age_of_Empires_Coverart.jpg

26477-homeworld-2-windows-front-cover.jpg

73105-chasm-the-rift-dos-front-cover.jpg

32427-gladius-playstation-2-front-cover.jpg

14781-bloody-roar-3-playstation-2-front-cover.jpg

28704-quake-ii-windows-front-cover.jpg

360959-baldur-s-gate-dark-alliance-playstation-2-manual.jpg

578872-ssx-tricky-playstation-2-front-cover.png

No_one_lives_forever_video_game_PC_cover_scan.jpg

18324-timesplitters-playstation-2-front-cover.jpg

51FJZMEGENL.jpg

Parasite_Eve_Coverart.png

Super-Smash-Bros-cover.jpg

The_Guy_Game.jpg

nush

Lately it’s been Vampire Savior 2 because it’s my fix after a busy morning. The characters are great and there’s no real commitment with time. Anakaris is also a great character.

1-FE38-E52-9-A77-4-F37-A4-D3-04-BF7-E9-A66-B8.webp

What's been added to Vampire Savior 2 over the original? I want to buy that Capcom fighting collection but the only part of it I want is Red Earth so it's a hard sell for me. VS2 is the only other game I've not played.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
What's been added to Vampire Savior 2 over the original? I want to buy that Capcom fighting collection but the only part of it I want is Red Earth so it's a hard sell for me. VS2 is the only other game I've not played.
Not a lot. I can’t spot any differences between this and Darkstalkers 3.

skit_data

there's something about DS1 + 2 that is so relaxing. sure the game is challenging but like you say there is something cozy about it. it's very comforting and relaxing.
Yeah, I don’t know how many hours I’ve spent in Firelink Shrine and Majula thinking about where to go next or simply reading item descriptions and planning how to build/rebuild the character. Everything accompanied by the music which is *chefs kiss*.
I think the music in Firelink in DS3 is a little too intrusive and ”too much”, much like the overall tempo and design of the game (still love it but not as much).

Holammer

That would be Symphony of the Night, played it completion many times. But also arcade games from the 84-94 range which I consider a golden age of sorts. If I boot up MAME I'm 100% going to play some Black Tiger, Super Contra and other games from that period.

I will never stop evangelizing for Black Tiger, it's a lost Capcom game because it never saw console ports.

Lupin25

Stray was a pretty chill game.

It’s gotta be Animal Crossing, Stardew Valley, The Sims, Age of Mythology… Games like those for me.

Andrenicks

Neo Member
Final Fantasy VIII, i can stay hours running in the Balamb Garden Just to hear the music.

Metal Gear Solid saga

Kingdom Hearts 2

Star Craft 1/2

Tams

Mini Ninjas.

96EB27D799A79A9EF02E1D19403EC0D472A511F2

Age of Empires II, Age of Empires III (yes, I do like it), Age of Mythology, Pokémon Gold and Sapphire, Okami, and Sleeping Dogs too.

I'd say 'A Short Hike' but once you're done with it, you're done with it.

Last edited:

Banjo64

cumsessed
Gotta say, they’re all Nintendo games from my childhood.

OOT, Banjo-Kazooie & Pokémon Emerald have endless replay-ability for me. I can also replay Majora’s Mask, Banjo-Tooie & Pokémon Fire Red, Goldeneye, Mario 64 and Perfect Dark regularly.

engstra

Okami and ICO are two games I've replayed at least once on every console generation. ICO is pretty much a perfect game.
Also Pokemon Snap!

Fuz

Banned
That would be Symphony of the Night, played it completion many times. But also arcade games from the 84-94 range which I consider a golden age of sorts. If I boot up MAME I'm 100% going to play some Black Tiger, Super Contra and other games from that period.

I will never stop evangelizing for Black Tiger, it's a lost Capcom game because it never saw console ports.

Black Tiger is one of the greatest arcade games of all times. I have no idea why it is so overlooked. It's amazing.

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
Gotta say, they’re all Nintendo games from my childhood.

OOT, Banjo-Kazooie & Pokémon Emerald have endless replay-ability for me. I can also replay Majora’s Mask, Banjo-Tooie & Pokémon Fire Red, Goldeneye, Mario 64 and Perfect Dark regularly.
N64 might not have a lot of games, but those that are there are all fun, comfy and very replayable.

As a kid I could turn on my bro's N64 and just play whatever and I would have fun. 20 years later and it's the same thing.

I'd like to add Jet Force Gemini to your list, love that one.

Usually it's Fallout 3 and New Vegas both. Each offers a different mood when I feel like checking into another world. Still discovering little things after an insane amount of play time in both games is a bonus.

Lately though it's been Farming Simulator 22. Yeah I know. The game has a lot of big picture focus now and you need to do some planning ahead to really min max your farm. Definitely a chill experience.

ocarina of time and uncharted 2. i always get the urge to replay them every now and then.ocarina reminds me of my childhood and uncharted reminds me of early adulthood and all the fun that comes with it.

Rocket League.

Always enjoy a game, it's the only MP game I play, and it never gets old.

If we're talking more retro then C64 games like Monty on the Run or Megadrive stuff like Sonic The Hedgehog.

Last edited:
There are many and they happen to be some of my favorite games of all time.

Halo: CE
Ocarina of Time
Paper Mario
Pokemon R/B and G/S
Resident Evil 4
Legend of Dragoon
Shadow of the Colossus

AndrewRyan

Two of mine are Rage 2 for mindless shooting and Darksiders 3 for mindless melee. There are much better games out there but I've worn a groove in them. Uninstall them from time to time to force myself to play other games, lol.

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
HONi1O1.jpg

Feel like I’ve played this game a million times. It’s the perfect comfort game. It’s short, has several choices of recruitable characters, has tons of abilities and item creation to play with, and the combat is kinda mindless and spammy.

Jigsaah

Gold Member
Every once in a while I go back and play through Phantom Dust's campaign/8 hour tutorial. If I'm lucky I'll find a few folks who wanna play tag team pvp. Almost 20 years since it first came out, still my all time favorite.

Nowadays though, when I just wanna chill? I load up some Star Citizen. For it to be an unfinished game it's just a nice experience where you go anywhere, do anything. I usually sit in discord watching my friends stream a game on one screen, and go mining or bounty hunting on SC. Do that enough and I eventually get to the point where I can buy a nice shiny new ship to try another of Star Citizen's not yet fully fleshed out gameplay loops.

Last edited:
My favourite games are Elden Ring and BotW but they are too big games to just play for comfort unless I feel about playing them specifically but the ones I replay the most because they comfort me are...

Resident Evil 4
Earthbound
Final Fantasy IV( I still think it's the most epic one in the series)
Splinter Cell Chaos Theory

Top Bottom