• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Whats is yours the most "Japanese" game

(...)

Natsuiro High School
B8uzQmp.gif
I wasn't aware of this. The premise sounds so cheesy and hilariously over the top that I might check it out at some point.

Last edited:

Kupfer

Most Japanese games I own probably are

• Shenmue
  • Catherine
  • World of Horror
  • Fist of the North Star: Lost Paradise
  • Berserk and the Band of the Hawk

Ghost of Tsushima is set in Japan but not made by a Japanese studio and you can tell. It's still a great game but it lacks the vibes only native Japanese studios can offer. GoT is just another western game with western premises.

Last edited:
Steins Gate, Yakuza ?
Both have interesting premises but drown them in big piles of cringe, with repetitive ultra long winded and just garbage dialog and gameplay loops.

Japanese games are riddled with bad decisions, maybe just tone deaf plots for us, and it's no wonder their relevance declined when the west upped their story levels beginning in the 90s. With exceptions like Biohazard and Kojima stuff that are either just batshit insane and thus unique or not really Japanese just flavored a bit but certainly trying to be western compatible.

Still have this gem on my Wii (assuming it can still boot);
images

By far the most Japanese game I’ve ever bought.. But more in the ‘crazy game show’ kind of way.

I wish I could say Incredible Crisis, but sadly I never got around to getting my own copy, my best friend had it.

I'll say my OG imported copy of Tenchu.

Cho Aniki?

I really miss when Japan used to do these absurd, some times surreal, humor-focused/comedy-centric games. Serious Japanese games are all fine and dandy, but we're sorely lacking some of this these days. At least in visibility, if they're still to be found out there.

IAmRei

Feudal?
Sekiro, way of the samurai, samurai warrior, Tenchu, Goemon, Ao no Tengai.

No, i dont like tsushima at all.

NanaMiku

The developer actually learned how to grow rice
Japanese players used their Ministry of Agriculture website as walkthrough on how to grow rice in the game (it works)
Anime adaptation is coming and the studio is also learning how to grow rice

Duchess

Can I say Persona 4?

I just felt it oozed Japanese culture. A lot of the time it was so nice to just soak in the day-to-day goings on.

Chechack

Earth Defence Force series

imagine playing soldier thats fighting alien invasion with b grade humour and campy dialogue

Everyoje should play this series

The developer actually learned how to grow rice
Japanese players used their Ministry of Agriculture website as walkthrough on how to grow rice in the game (it works)
Anime adaptation is coming and the studio is also learning how to grow rice

There's also a short-ish manga:

What do you mean by this? A game taking place in Japan, or having japanese culture ties that wouldn't make sense made anywhere else?

I got one that fits both those: 1st place: Tokyo Jungle

Takes place in tokyo japan, and you play as different animals you unlock. You mate and take over territory. Its an amazing game, unfortunately, it's download only and locked away on PS3.
Sony never ported it to ps4 so we never got to play it and never got a sequel, that it so deserved.

There were a few other games on ps3 that were Japanese centric

tokyo-jungle-1658846504447.jpg
10-najbardziej-niedocenionych-gier-144258482422.jpg
\

Runner up: Noby Noby Boy: I mean come on ,... just look at the screenshot.

6a00e54f7ac65c88330105366790d4970c-800wi

You could say Yakuza and all that, but that's an easy way out, they are more take offs from GTA and shenmue respectively.

3rd place goes to: Devil Summoner 2: Raidou Kuzunoha vs. King Abaddon - the ps2 game I bought near the end of the lifetime. It came with a stuffed animal vampire thing. Was original awesome game. I never did get the first game though (should of both are worth tons of money. )

409493_front.jpg
devil_summoner_2_clip_image002_0001.jpg
Shin%20Megami%20Tensei%20-%20Devil%20Summoner%202%20-%20Raidou%20Kuzunoha%20vs.%20King%20Abaddon%20(2).jpg

Top Bottom