• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What is your "Oh my god it's 5:42 am and I have to be at work at 7" game

neptunes

It happened to me once, and I was playing Ragnarok Online...well I wasn't scheduled for 7 but for 10 am and I got no sleep.

I was tired throughout my entire shift, yawning all over the place.

Hellraizah

I used to be like that with SOCOM when someday, I realized the game was utter garbage. Glad Rainbow Six 3 on Xbox opened my eyes.

Tribes

Back when that came out, I had to go to work at 6 am. I often stopped playing after 4 am. When I got home, I'd take a short nap and start playing again...

Damn that game had a grip on me.

There have been many.

Addicting - UT2K4 (just the demo!)

Enthralling - Morrowind, Neverwinter, Planescape Torment*, Crusader: No Remorse*, Jet Set Radio Future

Perfecting - Metal Slug 3, Street Fighter 3rd, Soul Calibur 2

* Indicates multiple days of non-sleep

DarienA

The black man everyone at Activision can agree on
A long, long time ago...in a galaxy far, far away... a game called Police Quest took my soul.....

Splinter Cell PT. Every night, me and siamesedreamer kill suckers and distribute teabags. I've played pretty late and paid a hefty price for it at work the next morning.

Previously, Quake 3 on DC, Halo, Castlevania SOTN and LOI, FF7, Twisted Metal 2, Doom, Rainbow Six 3 LIVE, Wild ARMS, Xenogears, and too many more to name.

... can't think of any in recent memory but it used to be predominantly PS and N64 games. Go figure. Getting older. Can't be arsed going to work (as opposed to school) and zonking out.

FFVII
Paper Mario
..etc
mostly RPGs too

WordofGod

Banned
Street Fighter 2 through Street Fighter 3 3rd Strike
Halo PC
Quake 3
Killer Insinct Arcade + KI SNES on Xband
Super Street Fighter 2 Xband

Wasteland...I played for hours and hours and hours...I had just gotten hired at Burger King when I was 16 and was in the middle of playing another new game through...I never made it to first-day orientation.

Diablo II...many, many late or 'sick' days at work.

bishoptl

Banstick Emeritus
Dune II and Sid Meier's Pirates on the Amiga.

I stayed on the computer for a 26-hour gaming marathon with just those two games back when I was much younger. :(

explodet

DarienA said:
A long, long time ago...in a galaxy far, far away... a game called Police Quest took my soul.....
Police Quest 2 was my first stay-up-late game - then I saved the game a millisecond after I started to fall into the sewer. I was... displeased.

Other games include Mega Man 3, Civilization II and III, one of the Ultimas - probably IV, Warcraft II with my college buddies, and a whole mess of others.

Most recent was Fire Emblem.

Volt

PES 3 and other football games like FIFA, LMA Manager etc..
Also : GBA strategy games -> Shining Force, Advance Wars 2, Fire Emblem, FFTA ...

I never been like that where it was that close to work. But I have lost track of time while playing. Recently: City of Heros, before that Counter Strike, before that FF7.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
Quake Team Fortress

At least back then, this is what I played. I don't have any such game at the present

teepo

asherons call

oh god :( fuck that game to hell. it ruined my life for years.

final fantasy 7, 9 and 10
diablo2
starcraft
warcraft3
mgs2
halo
zelda:ww
metroid prime

a shit load of games do this for me :(

Socreges

Banned
Winning Eleven 7 International J (and any game in the series up to this point)

It truly does bring new meaning to the phrase "just one more game". Especially with Master League where I see an acquisition of a new player being four games away and therefore continue to play, if only to have him join my team.

Still, it's not an addicting game. Like, with online games, there's something else going on there. With WE it's just such pure fun. I'll never grow tired of it - only to quit once WE8 rolls along.

Fire Emblem was also pretty brutal. I'd stay up till 5/6 am some nights.

firex

Starcraft, Warcraft 3, WOW, System Shock 2 (I once started a new game of this at about 9 pm one night and stayed up until 6 finishing it), Fire Emblem... If it's a strategy game or an RPG, or just has a really engrossing story/gameplay device, I get hooked.

Ranger X

Very rare it's happening for me but it did happen earlier this year when i began to play RollerCoasters Tycoon 2 (late to the party i know)

Pachinko

When I was younger , like in junior high school I'd stay up until 330 AM a few nights during the weekend to play final fantasy 3 on snes and chrono trigger as well.

Man, those were the days. Now I'm lucky to even play games for 10 hours in a week, Just don't have the time anymore... it's all spent staring at the internet now.

Buggy Loop

The original Rainbow 6 on PC, god i played so much online via mplayer :eek:
Tribes, was hooked an entire summer on that thing, every day, hours upon hours
EQ, does that need details? 34 hours camp for journeyman boots, thats just the tip of the iceberg ; ;

Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne. I've put a good 450 hours into the multiplayer since it's release a year ago, taking a four month break (October-January) in between almost daily playing. I lose track of time so easily while playing that damn game, and I always tell myself, "Just one more game..."

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
MMORPG's mostly, currently DAOC.

Anything by Black Isle, Blizzard and Bioware does it to me as well.

Top Bottom