• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What Made Amnesia: The Dark Descent One Hell of A Game?

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

The few years after the early 2000’s before the 2010’s was not a great time for horror games. SIlent Hill and Resident Evil were making games that paled in comparison to their earlier entries, and most of the oxygen of the gaming world was being sucked up by Mass Effect 2 and others.

Great games, sure, but the horror community was still largely relying on old classics from over ten years ago and mediocre modern ones that were largely just rehashing the same ideas and not even doing them justice most of the time. It was a dark time. I

t wouldn’t last too long though. By most accounts, the horror genre of video games was almost single-handedly revived by a little-known PC game called Amnesia: The Dark Descent from Frictional Games. It didn’t happen all at once though. There were a lot of reasons why the game had such a meteoric rise to the level of popularity it’s at now.

Stuart360

Its not a great game imo, its an alright game.
It came at a time when streaming was really taking off, and a lot of big streamers focused in on this game for some reason, and all their over acting scared antics really made the game seem like a must have, in the eyes of viewers.
Its a game built on the bad acting of streamers and Youtubers.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Its not a great game imo, its an alright game.
It came at a time when streaming was really taking off, and a lot of big streamers focused in on this game for some reason, and all their over acting scared antics really made the game seem like a must have, in the eyes of viewers.
Its a game built on the bad acting of streamers and Youtubers.
We’re done here

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
I don’t get why people enjoyed it so much. It wasn’t scary and it made me feel like there were a lot more skittish, attention seeking gamers than anything else.

It's an enjoyable game. A good story, atmospheric, fun puzzles and genuinely scary. It came from an indie dev at a time when the triple A industry had all but abandoned horror games. It also helped define a huge youtuber/streamers careers so they and their audiences are forever imprinted on it.
I don’t get why people enjoyed it so much. It wasn’t scary and it made me feel like there were a lot more skittish, attention seeking gamers than anything else.
I mean I can sit here and say Resident Evil is trash, doesn't mean anything. The game has already spoke for itself and is beloved to this day by people playing it by themselves without audiences. You are just typical gamer trash who thinks something is popular and therefore must be for drooling idiots. Go outside more.

You need to play the game with the lights off and good headphones to really appreciate it. Amnesia was scary because of its sound design, thick atmosphere and some genuinely frightening moments like watching the monster run at you or bumping into one of the ceiling lights and seeing a bunch of bugs move smoothly across the screen before they fade out. I also liked how the visuals distort as you lose sanity and need to replenish it. I managed to complete it but throughout the entire game I felt genuine anxiety and fear whenever I entered a new area. To me at least it felt fresh being in first-person as I normally played third-person survival horror. That said, if the game was third-person, I don't think I would have been scared as much but I would definitely recommend it.

Last edited:

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
It's an enjoyable game. A good story, atmospheric, fun puzzles and genuinely scary. It came from an indie dev at a time when the triple A industry had all but abandoned horror games. It also helped define a huge youtuber/streamers careers so they and their audiences are forever imprinted on it.

I mean I can sit here and say Resident Evil is trash, doesn't mean anything. The game has already spoke for itself and is beloved to this day by people playing it by themselves without audiences. You are just typical gamer trash who thinks something is popular and therefore must be for drooling idiots. Go outside more.
It’s spoken for by a different crowd. A crowd that I’m never around to talk games with. I can think it’s not scary because I feel it isn’t. You don’t think a lot of streamers aren’t faking it? Did I call you trash?

I have tried playing it multiple times. I even bought the sequel. It was a very tedious walk to try and figure things out. When something happened, it didn’t feel scary. It felt like they tried being clever, but it never hit that mark for me. That’s about when I uninstalled it. It didn’t captivate me or make me want to return. I’ve played older and newer horror and this one is one I would just not care to play again.

Last edited:

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Nooblets who only hear about games from streamers judging a game they don't know shit about, lol. Everyone in the know was looking forward to it, it was following Penumbra and was obviously not a cash in on some fad, since it helped create that and lesser knock offs followed. The story did kind of disappoint me past the first half but the game was solid throughout. I just don't like what they did with later games. Instead of evolving mechanically, like introduce things the Penumbra series had, make it more systems and gameplay driven like say, a horror themed Thief or immersive sim in general they went after the direction of their knock offs. Also, how cool would an Echo Night remake or sequel with the Amnesia engine be?! When I first played it I thought it'd be awesome for a Thief game too with all its light and dark and leaning etc. Like you know, it's not some AAA stuff but nobody would give an AAA budget to such games, Amnesia was modest but super cool and well done.

Last edited:

Korranator

I'm actually playing it right now for the 1st time. Just made it to the prison level, so far I'm not really impressed. Maybe because I played the Penumbra series, and Soma before it, and I'm already used to the type of games Fractional makes, so I kinda know know what to expect or what is probably coming next. It's kinda of predictable. Although, I really am liking the atmosphere, but it's really not very scary at all.

Last edited:

iHaunter

It's a 6/10 game IMHO. Was mostly a dry spill of that genre for a while, it was one of the few games around doing what it did. It's an above-average game, but it's indie quality shows.

Top Bottom