• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What Made Wolfenstein 2: The New Colossus One Hell of A Game

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

With two fantastic main line games and a handful of high quality DLC expansions, Wolfenstein has proven that it's back with a vengeance and has carved out a nice, sizable audience for itself with its new games. Of those two mainline games though, I think most could probably agree that the second one is by far the better of the two.

While there was nothing demonstrably wrong with the first one, in fact it was rather good for what it was, Wolfenstein 2: The New Colossus just knocked everything out of the park so much more that it's hard to not regard it as the superior of the two. So today let's take a closer look at it and see exactly why it hit so hard and continues to stand as an example of what all other first person shooters should try to meet at least in terms of overall quality.

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
Rpi4aoh.jpg

Naaaaaaaaah... Wofenstein:TNO was WAAAAAAAAAAY better than TNC.

The story was better, the gameplay, in particular, was WAAAAY better. You could actually employ different approaches in the first game. In the TNC stealth was virtually impossible due to enemies inexplicably spotting you through walls and other such dumb and poorly designed/tested AI shenanigans.

I never finished New Colossus. I dunno, played through both previous games not too far before NC, but NC just didn't hit like I thought it would. Maybe it was too much though, playing so many of them in such close proximity.

Return to Castle Wolfenstein still best Wolfenstein.

Last edited:
S

Shodan09

Unconfirmed Member
But it was kind of crap and nowhere near as good as the the first.

elliot5

I recently played through TNO on Xbox after it got added to game pass. Was kind of a mistake to play that on controller lol. By the end of it I was getting a little annoyed either with the controls or the encounters and was just trying to speed through it. I enjoyed the story though.

I'll be playing TNC on PC soon-ish. It looks like a good time. I know New Blood gets a bad rap, but I may end up giving that a spin anyway.

Trogdor1123

I turned it off after you save the people in New York (I think). It was just so poorly written.

I can get over all the sjw stuff but the fact that a woman we just picked up and had never heard of before instantly becomes the leader of the entire cell and has everyone's complete devotion was too much.

Gun play was fantastic though.

Last edited:

PooBone

For what it's worth, I thought The New Colossus was way better than any of the other recent Wolfenstein's.

I got bored during one of the hideout "story" sections and never went back. It wasn't bad, just too narrative heavy. It's a Wolfenstein game for fuck's sake, just let me shoot nazis.
I do remember it making my Pro shriek like a banshee during some segments.

Hugare

Its worse than the first one in almost very way except graphics

I enjoyed the first one, but it was saved by its story. Gunplay felt mediocre. How combat is designed around healthpacks is really shitty for a game where you should feel powerful like in Doom.

What REALLY pissed me off was sound mixing. Its the worst that Ive ever experienced. Cutscene sounds are great, but when it transitions to gameplay it becomes muffled like you are hearing the game underwater. Its jarring, horrible and affects the game's presentation greatly, since it relies so much on shooting.

Since it was such an obvious flaw, Machine Games certainly would correct it in the sequel, right? Nope. They fucked up the sound yet again. Despite even changing engines.

New Colossus had a worst story, worst level design, just as bad gameplay ...
So I gave up half way through.

Shame, because the universe that they've created is awesome, and I love the cutscenes direction

kyussman

I feel like I'm taking crazy pills as TNO was the better game(not by a huge amount,but still),and I thought that was the general view.
I love the Wolfenstein franchise so they are all very enjoyable to me,but TNC was certainly a slight step down from TNO.

Top Bottom