• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What potential Sony hardware development has you the most excited this year?

What potential Sony hardware development has you the most excited this year?

• PS5 Pro launch

• PS5 Price Drop

• PSVR2 Price Drop

• Pulse Elite Wireless Headset

• PS Portal Cloud Support

Results are only viewable after voting.
What are you looking forward to from Sony from a hardware perspective?

Not much on the poll outside of the Pulse Elite has been officially announced, but I'm fairly confident that most of these things will happen this year.

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
PS5 Pro, easily.

Not excited about a price drop on the base console or PSVR 2, I don't really care, but I am curious to see if it helps.

The Pro launch. I doubt a price drop will happen with sales as strong as they are.

I don't think sales are nearly as strong as you might think. They're definitely behind where they wanted to be at this point thanks to the pandemic and the red hot demand has largely cooled off.

With the Switch 2, there will be some general competition for dollars, euros, and yen moving forward that could really impact the PS5 sales or more importantly the sales trajectory.

I'm pretty sure we'll see a price drop when the PS5 Pro launches.

Daneel Elijah

Gold Member
PS5 Pro means hopefully a great Not E3 with games to sell it better. And a price cut for the PS5 would be nice. The rest don't really matter. PS VR 2 needs games more than a price cut, and a Pro will be one of the best helps it will get as new customers may decide to go all in. The rest are just bonus and are or will be sold out anyway.

MikeM

PS5 Pro. I want it now alongside my PC because masterrace needs its little console homie on tren and dbol.

Rainbow Intensifies GIF by CORSAIR

Last edited:
PS5 Pro, easily.

Not excited about a price drop on the base console or PSVR 2, I don't really care, but I am curious to see if it helps.

The PSVR2 is so over priced compared to its competition, I think unless Sony is actually giving up on it, that it will get a pretty serious price cut just like the first one did.

In February, it'll have it's 1 year anniversary. The PSVR didn't last a full year before getting a price cut.

I'm picturing a 400-dollar bundle without sense controllers bundled with Gran Turismo 7 and another bundled with RE4 with the sense controller for 450 dollars.

Maybe we'll see something around the launch of the Pro with enhancements to GT7 and RE4's VR modes when using the PS5 Pro.

Last edited:
I chose PS5 price drop & PS5 Pro.

PS5 Price Drop: By Fall, PS5 will be 4 years old, and at the halfway point of its lifecycle most likely. Unlike the PS4, which never got a Super Slim, I think Sony will definitely want a Super Slim for the PS5 at some point, so they'll have to eventually work on getting a lower price on the new PS5 model, especially if the Pro is launching late this year. I'm thinking by this Fall, they'll drop the price for the non-disc PS5 to $349, and the disc model to $449.

Those will be the new official prices, but for Black Friday in particular they might do promo sales of $299 and $399, respectively, to combat the Switch 2's release and bump install base even more ahead of GTA6.

PS5 Pro: I think this is coming Fall 2024, and they'll probably do $549 for the discless version, $599 for the disc model. The reason they'll probably not do $499 for the discless model is because 1: it's a higher-end product and, 2: it makes the $449 PS5 Disc look like a bad value comparatively (only $50 more for a significant performance upgrade? Nah 😂).

Also while GTA6 is 2025, I actually think it's a Q1 2025 release, which is why a Q4 2024 release for PS5 Pro would make some sense (otherwise 2025 would probably be a better release window). GTA6 doesn't need the holidays in order to sell big: it'll sell and be evergreen no matter the time of year they drop it. In fact releasing it earlier would probably mean more sales in the long-term.

Plus, Take-Two know how important the holidays are for most other publishers; they don't need the Christmas shopping season nearly as much as other releases and I'm sure Sony probably have some games planned for Q4 2024 that could use the breathing room. Even COD could use the breathing room; I couldn't picture it doing well releasing at the same time as GTA6. Considering MS spent $69 billion in large part for that IP, they'd probably not want the first release under their ownership getting completely overshadowed by a GTA6 backed in a marketing deal with Sony. And this is probably one of those instances where these types of companies would actually arrange release schedules around one another :/

Company wants money from you. Those that want it will get it, those that don't won't.

Its a wild concept, I know.

Why make any revision at all? Why make the PS5 smaller, thinner?

Yeah the "Pro makes no sense" talk in itself makes no sense. It's a supercharged PS5 being sold at a nice profit from Day 1 for console gamers who want more power & performance out of their PS5 games. And, I'd imagine, PSVR2 as well similar to how PS4 Pro helped improve PSVR titles.

It's not replacing the regular PS5 and the regular PS5 isn't going to "hold back" the PS5 Pro the way it can be argued the Series S has been holding back the Series X.

Last edited:
None....I don't own a 4k tv. PS5 is plenty powerful, I could care less about that. I am more concerned about switch 2.

Unless Sony revive backwards compatibility, or make a handheld that plays vita/psp/ps1/ps2/ps3 games...then nothing.
I own a ps5, I own a XBsX, I own an oled switch, Own a quest 2, own psClassic, own ps2, own a wii, own 3060ti equipped pc, own a steam link.

I am all set for hardware, but would love something like the 60gb ps3 that could play old disc titles. Who am I kidding, will have to eventually just buy a used ps3 to play those old games.

Price drop if i have to choose. If mine ever breaks, I: don't want to have to spend $500 again. Also 500 is too much for any console.

Last edited:
There is no PS5 Pro. It only exist among those who like talking about specs.
Seriously what would this even do? They aren't even putting out much to begin with. Everything looks good now, there isn't any "jumps in gfx" any more. Id rather new games or reboots of old games like resistance , uncharted, warhawk, socom, infamous and killzone.... -toxic masculinity oh my.... (it would be wonderful!)

people with too much money just want to spend to make their lives meaningful.

Last edited:

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Nothing, I'm not tech geek enough to care about any of this, I just want Sony put out more interesting first party games but those days is looooong gone.

Edmund

I want a pro and every game on it to run at 120 fps. I tried Gran Turismo 7 at 120hz mode and going back to 60 fps mode felt so sluggish.

Kdad

Just got a PS5, I've learned since PSP to not bother with their extras. I wouldn't mind test driving an Afeela EV :)

Baki

What are you looking forward to from Sony from a hardware perspective?

Not much on the poll outside of the Pulse Elite has been officially announced, but I'm fairly confident that most of these things will happen this year.
PSP2.

I’m sure Sony will release a handheld.

Astray

Gold Member
I think they'll release a handheld, but there's no chance it happens next year.
I said something similar when the discussion was about Xbox consoles ending, but I don't think that audiences will just immediately trust Sony again with handhelds again, especially when Nintendo has been such a stalwart in the space, plus Valve possibly increasing its presence now both with new devices AND via 3rd party devices that use Steam OS (LINK).

Unless there's some sort of crossbuy program going on to reduce initial consumer risk, I don't think we will see a PSP successor any time soon.

I said something similar when the discussion was about Xbox consoles ending, but I don't think that audiences will just immediately trust Sony again with handhelds again, especially when Nintendo has been such a stalwart in the space, plus Valve possibly increasing its presence now both with new devices AND via 3rd party devices that use Steam OS (LINK).

Unless there's some sort of crossbuy program going on to reduce initial consumer risk, I don't think we will see a PSP successor any time soon.

I'm convinced they will release a for profit PS5 handheld when the time comes. It'll run PS5 games and cross gen games with PS6. There will be nothing to trust or not trust.

Shin-Ra

PSVR2 price drop would only have great value combined with at least 3 new, Astro Bot/Moss/Gangs of London quality games. Realistically they’d need a lot more to have confidence the hardware’s supported.

Last edited:

[Sigma]

Well, im on the hunt for some new gaming head phones so technically the Pulse Elite Wireless Headset. But off tops, they look like they're going to have build quality issues. I tried the Pulse Explores, I wasn't impressed that much. Felt like they are severely overpriced. They're not that comfortable to me neither.

KungFucius

King Snowflake
Seriously what would this even do? They aren't even putting out much to begin with. Everything looks good now, there isn't any "jumps in gfx" any more. Id rather new games or reboots of old games like resistance , uncharted, warhawk, socom, infamous and killzone.... -toxic masculinity oh my.... (it would be wonderful!)

people with too much money just want to spend to make their lives meaningful.
It would cost millions to develop, sell 14 million total and bring in no net positive revenue compared to doing nothing. It will also add to the development cost to all games on the platform, including old ones that now need a pro patch.

Baki

I think they'll release a handheld, but there's no chance it happens next year.
I can’t wait that long. They need to launch something based off the Z2 extreme to keep me happy. Native PS4 library support and ports of PS5 and XBS and Switch 2 games.

Woopah

A price drop, and a bundle with some sort of great game (Ghost of Tsushima 2 would be great, but probably too early for that).

Top Bottom