• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What PS1 hidden gems would you recommend?

BatSu

maxresdefault.jpg

Esppiral

Tail Concerto.
Bust a groove 1 and 2
Bishi Bashi special
Um jammer Lammy

Edit: Jade cocoon!

Oh I love the PlayStation ❤

Last edited:

Cato

Banned
music to my ears! if ur lucky enough to have a vita it's on the psone list

Just ordered a copy from Japan. 16AUD with free shipping on ebay.
It will look nice on my ps1 bookshelf :)

I do have a vita but I mostly play PSP games on it (it is on CFW).

Ps1 games I play mostly on a real ps1 but I use a PSIO and run the ripped games off an SD card.
(these laser caddies are not gonna last forever)
((I have two original ps1 and one slim with the lcd thing you could connect to it. I love playstation!))

Last edited:

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
This is a hidden gem for sure, .. Gamera 2000 ! Basically the psx's Panzer Dragoon but with gamera and ultra cheesy cutscenes, i just love this game :)

Oh, I forgot this existed. Time to get it. It looks like it plays tighter than Omega Boost (don't say no)!

If someone can help me I've been looking for this game for years. I actually don't remember much about it at all, but my friend rented it and when we were kids. I guess it was like a creepy demon Hunter sort of game.it was very dark with monsters like silent Hill, but it wasn't silent Hill.

The main part I remember is when you walk into a dining room and a monster falls from the ceiling by the large dining room table.. I've always wanted to know what that game was, but I was never allowed to play because my parents wouldn't let me play mature games at that time

molasar

Banned
If someone can help me I've been looking for this game for years. I actually don't remember much about it at all, but my friend rented it and when we were kids. I guess it was like a creepy demon Hunter sort of game.it was very dark with monsters like silent Hill, but it wasn't silent Hill.

The main part I remember is when you walk into a dining room and a monster falls from the ceiling by the large dining room table.. I've always wanted to know what that game was, but I was never allowed to play because my parents wouldn't let me play mature games at that time

Check Nightmare Creatures, Nightmare Creatures II, Shadow Man, Evil Dead: Hail to the King, Alone in the Dark: One Eyed Jack's Revenge or Alone in the Dark: The New Nightmare.

Last edited:

Tomma19

Neo Member
BTW lets talk some real shit for a second.

I play a ton of FPS games on high difficulty modes. I could not beat Alien Resurrection on NORMAL difficulty.

"oh well its just hard cuz of PS1 contro-"

No. It supports dual analog AND IT EVEN SUPPORTS MOUSELOOK NATIVELY (yes the ps1 had a mouse)

This game will fuck you.

The sadness that this brings up.....it's was originally a 3rd person game but was changed midway into development (long after previews, articles and footage had come out ).

Check Nightmare Creatures, Nightmare Creatures II, Shadow Man, Evil Dead: Hail to the King, Alone in the Dark: One Eyed Jack's Revenge or Alone in the Dark: The New Nightmare.
I really can't be too sure if my memory of the game is off, but nightmare creatures 2 looks very similar. There was even a scene from that video that showed a monster stepping off of a table. Thank you for all these suggestions. It's a shame I was never able to play many of these. That evil Dead game looked so badass

Slateee

Neo Member
Just ordered a copy from Japan. 16AUD with free shipping on ebay.
It will look nice on my ps1 bookshelf :)

I do have a vita but I mostly play PSP games on it (it is on CFW).

Ps1 games I play mostly on a real ps1 but I use a PSIO and run the ripped games off an SD card.
(these laser caddies are not gonna last forever)
((I have two original ps1 and one slim with the lcd thing you could connect to it. I love playstation!))
how is the PSIO? it really is my dream come true! I'm about to order one myself

Cato

Banned
how is the PSIO? it really is my dream come true! I'm about to order one myself

The PSIO is fantastic. I have not encountered a single game myself that did not work perfectly.
The UI is pretty basic but does its job well.
A small handful of titles appears to not work yet, but they are working on it and there are regular firmware updates.
I don't have any of those games that are not yet perfectly supported. But have a look at their forums
to see how development is going on:

I would absolutely recommend it. You will not regret it.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Does Gamera 2000 have a save function or is it a do the whole game or nothing deal? Save state doesn't work in RetroArch/BeetleHW and while there's a load game thing in the menu I can't find a save when playing, you'd think it'd let you save inbetween levels. Oh well, I'll play when I can finish it.

Last edited:

Slateee

Neo Member
Does Gamera 2000 have a save function or is it a do the whole game or nothing deal? Save state doesn't work in RetroArch/BeetleHW and while there's a load game thing in the menu I can't find a save when playing, you'd think it'd let you save inbetween levels. Oh well, I'll play when I can finish it.
I haven't played it yet myself but had this same problem with another import PS1 game b.l.u.e. legend of water!

SpiceRacz

Sounds like Alone in The Dark: The New Nightmare.

Rescue shot, who ended up being infamous because of the pokemon ps1 fake game lol

I loved it, tons of humour and fun

Digimon World 2, still the best DW nowadays

The mummy, sort of Syphon filter meets tomb raider

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Not a bad game. Looks better than it played. But for pure smooth 60 fps gameplay in a fighting games, DW wasn't bad.

Compared to Tekken and SF, I think I remember this game as shallow in number of moves. And the hit detection was wonky. Music can be anything from awesome to cringy.

But can't deny the slick visuals for the time.

Last edited:

Aion002

Vanguard Bandits

I love this game, it's Final Fantasy Tactics with mechas + fantasy anime from 80s and 90s.

Evil Zone

I played so much, it's such fun fighting game with a varied cast of fighters inspired in animes/ tokusatsu.

Destrega

I also enjoyed this game a lot, really different at the time and fun.

Last edited:

Fox Mulder

dang, this thread is crazy. so much stuff ive never heard of. Been throwing together a retropie during the quarantine and ps1 works pretty great.

H4ze

Maybe someone said it here before, but I would say:

Silent Bomber

What a great and unique game, still very playable today on original hardware.

Azelover

Titanic was called the Ship of Dreams, and it was. It really was.
BTW lets talk some real shit for a second.

I play a ton of FPS games on high difficulty modes. I could not beat Alien Resurrection on NORMAL difficulty.

"oh well its just hard cuz of PS1 contro-"

No. It supports dual analog AND IT EVEN SUPPORTS MOUSELOOK NATIVELY (yes the ps1 had a mouse)

This game will fuck you.

That looks quite good for a PS1 game..

xrnzaaas

I really enjoyed playing Spider even though I'm not a "fan" of spiders irl and I usually dislike them in games like Skyrim. Definitely a different game from most of the other PS1 platformers.

Last edited:

D.Final

Banned

I really enjoyed playing Spider even though I'm not a "fan" of spiders irl and I usually dislike them in games like Skyrim. Definitely a different game from most of the other PS1 platformers.

Spiders!
Spiders everywhere

Black Ops Entertainment's (Treasures of the Deep guys) Agile Warrior: F-111X. Not a great flight combat sim but it features 2-players cooperative play, one player being the gunner and other the pilot (ala Star Fox Zero).

209356-agile-warrior-f-111x-playstation-back-cover.png
Back when textured 3-D environments were still a feature worth pointing out on the back of the box of your game.

Silvawuff

I'd recommend Croc, Tomba, Brave Fencer Musashi, Legend of Mana, FFVII, FFIX, Legend of Legaia, Klonoa: Door to Phantomile, Tail Concerto, and Granstream Saga. A bet at least half of these aged really badly so ymmv.

Last edited:

Cato

Banned
The PSIO is fantastic. I have not encountered a single game myself that did not work perfectly.
The UI is pretty basic but does its job well.
A small handful of titles appears to not work yet, but they are working on it and there are regular firmware updates.
I don't have any of those games that are not yet perfectly supported. But have a look at their forums
to see how development is going on:

I would absolutely recommend it. You will not regret it.

Just ordered another PS1 from ebay and a PSIO from the cybdyn guys.
With PS1 and PSIO you can never have too many of them.

Anyone that is into playing PS1 on genuine HW should take a good look at the PSIO.
It is an amazing piece of kit.
(Still waiting for some Japaneese games that I ordered. Covid has messed up my international PS1 game purchases big time.)

Last edited:

teezzy

Banned
Chocobo's Dungeon 2 my favorite PS1 dungeon crawler, and arguably my favorite PS1 FF game.

One Piece Mansion initially this puzzle game feels fairly obtuse... but once it clicks - dear lord. Defines hidden gem for me

Swagman Another gem I never hear anyone talking about. Swagman is like if Tom Burton designed a game after playing too much Links Awakening and Star Tropics

This is a really good list dude. :messenger_sunglasses:

Top Bottom