• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What was your favorite game that year? 1993 edition. (56k)

Thought I had, is Super Mario All-stars the first incidence of a 'remaster' on consoles?

Anyway obviously gunstar heroes is the best game

EDIT: also road rash sucks

All-Stars might have been... that's an interesting question!

I remember tons of Atari/Genesis ones during the PS2 years. That Sonic Mega Collection. ^_^

Great year; lots of good games I'd love to pick like X-Wing, Flashback, Battletoads (GB), Star Fox (called Starwing here in the UK), Streets of Rage 2, etc. But in the end based on time spent with a game and my enduring fond memories of it, I'd have to give the nod to Zelda: Link's Awakening.

m00h

Banned
This was an amazing year! Majority of my all time favorites were released back then. DOOM, Streets of Rage II, Mortal Kombat, Road Rash II. One of the best years of my life 🙌

Gozert

Probably Link's Awakening, with Doom being a very close second. I also have fond memories of playing co-op Secret of Mana with my buddy.

Inspector Q

Some great games, but I have to go with Zombies Ate My Neighbors. What a fun and challenging game. The music in particular was really well done and memorable.

Jesus Christ this year. I didn't realize. I was going through the list and it was just impossible. Mortal Kombat, Doom, Dune, X-Wing, Street Fighter Turbo, Gunstar Heroes, Aladdin, Micro Machines, XCOM, ....

But then I saw it. No contest after all.

secret-of-mana-flammie.jpg

Secret of Mana is still GOAT JRPG imo.

I came to post this.

Secret of Mana is so unique and fantastic. I just couldn't pick any game over it that year.

My vote goes to Link's Awakening. It's weird to ponder, but this might be my favorite overall Zelda game. Just a superbly designed game with a surprisingly affecting story-line. (That ending!)

I honestly don't remember all of these games coming out within months of each other! Time really does move slower when you're a kid.

I just realized that a huge chunk of my childhood gaming memories came from 1993. GOD DAMN what a list!

Right!?

pirata

I was only three years old, but that doesn't mean I didn't enjoy me some video games! This is probably the earliest year I can remember, and is also probably the first time I ever played video games that were meant specifically for me and not my dad (he played more games than I did until the N64 came out). One of my earliest memories was getting these games for Christmas...I can't believe they're not listed in the OP!

Duck-Tales-2-NTSC-Nintendo-NES-Sealed-Re-Sealed-Brand-New-Box-Video-Game-1993.jpg
1865066-box_ka.png

Two fantastic late 8-bit platformers. Kirby's Adventure is probably my favorite NES game!

Samikaze

Back then I was only 6, but I remember pumping countless hours into Jurassic Park, Mortal Kombat, Road Rash 2, and X-men.

Looking back though, Doom takes it.

Sanctuary

SF2 Turbo
Secret of Mana
Starfox
Act Raiser 2
Dark Wizard (the music blew me away at the time)
Mortal Kombat
Flashback
The Lost Vikings

Arcades were still big in 1993. Samurai Shodown was easily my favorite.

256px-Shodownlogo.png

If arcade games count, then it would most likely be a three way tie between SSF2, Samurai Shodown and MK 2 for me. Those were all I played at the arcade (which I spent most of my time gaming wise).

rainz

Dune 2 - Genesis/Amiga
Blew me away at the time and lead to a love of RTS a bit before the golden age of them.

senahorse

I think I have to go with Doom, was simply amazing. I was astounded you could go up and down in the levels, verticality wasn't a common thing back then.

woopWOOP

Two fantastic late 8-bit platformers. Kirby's Adventure is probably my favorite NES game!
Oh damn, Ducktales 2 is '93 too? I totally have to give that a mention too then. That game felt so mysterious to me, because I couldn't read English back then (hell, read at all for that matter) so all the obvious clues the NPC's gave me went over my head and all the secrets I uncovered were through trial and error. I like how that game hid some of their more creative puzzles behind a secret wall (or a secret wall behind a secret wall) so you'd be wondering what the hell you had stumbled upon this time.

Also the OST is great, good old Capcom

spekkeh

Banned
I loved X-Wing, but Tie Fighter was better (at least for teenage edge lords like me). So I'm not too bothered not being able to give it that recognition.

I think I have to go with Doom, was simply amazing. I was astounded you could go up and down in the levels, verticality wasn't a common thing back then.
In FPS you mean? That genre was practically one year old though. Wolfenstein came out in 92.

Gozert

I loved X-Wing, but Tie Fighter was better (at least for teenage edge lords like me). So I'm not too bothered not being able to give it that recognition.

In FPS you mean? That genre was practically one year old though. Wolfenstein came out in 92.

Sort of. Wolfenstein did popularize the genre, but it was just a mod of Catacomb 3-D from 1991. And of course, there's games like Maze War and Spasim but I will admit those are almost entirely different genres.

Sort of. Wolfenstein did popularize the genre, but it was just a mod of Catacomb 3-D from 1991. And of course, there's games like Maze War and Spasim but I will admit those are almost entirely different genres.

Here's another: I remember the Golgo 13 first person segments, too!

They were terrible. >_>

I don't even fucking know...this year was absolutely insane and we didn't even know how good we had it. I was 10 at the time and was in serious game fever meltdown mode already.

Pretty much half that list and I'm not kidding.

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
Zelda: Link's Awakening; it is, next to Super Mario Bros. 3 the best 8bit game and it has amazing dungeon design. I even prefer it over ALttP.

literally 2 games I played out of that list. Super Mario All Stars and the GB Zelda. Loved both and didn't really play any other 93-minted games.

shandy706

No point in me posting my actual favorites in these threads. I basically copy the entire list and then just weed out the few I didn't like, then paste the list right back in.

Remove the Sega CD only stuff, and I've basically played everything else on there.

RMI

Banned
what a year.

DOOM probably takes the list for me, but Secret of Mana, X-Com, and Starfox rank highly.

Top Bottom