• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What was your favorite game that year? 1993 edition. (56k)

Previous Threads:

What was your favorite game that year? 1997 edition.
What was your favorite game that year? 2007 edition.
What was your favorite game that year? 2011 edition.

I've had a lot of fun putting this series together and have loved the responses! For this one, I'm going waaaayyy back to the SNES/Genesis era. Game Boy, PC, and Sega CD were all in the mix.

Remember for stuff like Aladdin and Jurassic Park, the versions of the game were quite different!

Unlisted games start on this page.

1993 games

ActRaiser 2 (SNES)
Adventure Island II: Aliens in Paradise (GB)
Alien 3 (SNES)
Arcus 1-2-3 (SCD)

YBH0C3r.png

Batman Returns (SNES, SCD)
Battletoads in Battlemaniacs (SNES)
Battletoads in Ragnarok's World (GB)
Betrayal at Krondor (PC)
Bill Walsh College Football (GEN)
Brutal: Paws of Fury (SCD)
Bubsy in: Claws Encounters of the Furred King (SNES)
Call of Cthulhu: Shadow of the Comet (PC)
Chiki Chiki Boys (GEN)
Choujikuu Yousai Macross: Scrambled Valkyrie (SNES)
ClayFighter (SNES)
Cool Spot (SNES)
Dark Wizard (SCD)

Disney's Aladdin (SNES, GEN)
Doom (PC)
Dragon's Lair (SNES)

Dr. Robotnik's Mean Bean Machine (GEN)
Dune (SCD)
Dune: The Battle for Arrakis (GEN)

Ecco the Dolphin (SCD)
Elemental Master (GEN)
Eliminate Down (GEN)
Eric the Unready (PC)
E.V.O.: Search for Eden (SNES)
F1 Pole Position (SNES)
FIFA International Soccer (GEN)
Final Fight CD (SCD)
Formula One (GEN)
Freddy Pharkas: Frontier Pharmacist (PC)
Gabriel Knight: Sins of the Fathers (PC)
Gateway II: Homeworld (PC)
Gauntlet IV (GEN)
Goblins Quest 3 (PC)
God of Thunder (PC)

Gunstar Heroes (GEN)
International Sensible Soccer - Limited Edition: World Champions (GEN)
James Pond 3: Operation Starfish (GEN)

Jungle Strike (GEN)
Jurassic Park (GEN, SNES)
Kid Dracula (GB)
King's Quest VI: Heir Today, Gone Tomorrow (PC)
King Salmon: The Big Catch (GEN)
Leisure Suit Larry 6: Shape Up or Slip Out! (PC)
Lemmings 2: The Tribes (PC)

Lethal Enforcers (GEN, SCD)
Madden NFL '94 (SNES, GEN

Maniac Mansion: Day of the Tentacle (PC)
Mega Man IV (GB)
Metal Combat: Falcon's Revenge (SNES)
Microcosm (SCD)
Micro Machines (GEN)

Mortal Kombat (SNES, GEN)
Mutant League Football (GEN)
Myst (PC)
NBA Jam (GEN)
NHL '94 (SNES, GEN, SCD)
Nigel Mansell's World Championship Racing (SNES)
Out of This World (GEN)
Pepper's Adventures in Time (PC)

Pirates! Gold (GEN, PC)
Pocky & Rocky (SNES)

Prince of Persia (GEN)
Ranger X (GEN)
Road Avenger (SCD)
Road Rash (SCD)

Road Rash II (GEN)
Robo Aleste (SCD)
Rock 'N Roll Racing (SNES)
Rocket Knight Adventures (GEN)
Rolling Thunder 3 (GEN)
Romancing Sa-Ga 2 (SNES)
Run Saber (SNES)
Sam & Max Hit the Road (PC)

Secret of Mana (SNES)
Shinobi III: Return of the Ninja Master (GEN)
Simon the Sorcerer (PC)
Snake Rattle 'n' Roll (GEN)
Soldiers of Fortune (GEN)

Sonic CD (SCD)
Sorcerer (PC)
Space Quest V: The Next Mutation (PC)

Splatterhouse 3 (GEN)
Star Fox (SNES)
Street Fighter II: Special Champion Edition (GEN)
Street Fighter II Turbo (SNES, GEN)
Sunset Riders (SNES)

Super Mario All-Stars (SNES)
Super Star Wars: The Empire Strikes Back (SNES)
Super Turrican (SNES)
Tecmo Super NBA Basketball (SNES)
Tetris 2 (GB)
The Addams Family: Pugsley's Scavenger Hunt (SNES)
The Adventures of Willy Beamish (SCD)
The Amazing Spider-Man vs. The Kingpin (SCD)
The Immortal (GEN)

The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening (GB)
The Lost Vikings (SNES)
The Terminator (SCD)
Time Gal (SCD)
Tiny Toon Adventures: Buster's Hidden Treasure (GEN)
Two Tribes: Populous II (GEN)
Veil of Darkness (PC)
Wiz 'n' Liz: The Frantic Wabbit Rescue (GEN)
WWF Royal Rumble (SNES)
X-COM: UFO Defense (PC)

X-Men (GEN)
X-Wing
Yoshi's Safari (SNES)

Zombies Ate My Neighbors (SNES, GEN)

Doom, so hard.

I still remember my father bringing home the discs, saying he'd gone in on this game with a bunch of coworkers, and had heard it was pretty cool.

He didn't know the half of it. 11 year old me was blown away by all this cool Satanic shit and awesome metal music and blood and guts.

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
Arcades were still big in 1993. Samurai Shodown was easily my favorite.

256px-Shodownlogo.png

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
Fuuuuuck.

This one is hard. Like, damn. I kept scrolling down that list and seeing different game after game that could be it. I just don't know. And I thought the choice would be easy one I saw Aladdin. But no, Rocket Knight Adventures, Sonic CD, Gunstar Heroes, Streets of Rage 2 and Shinobi 3 all just happened to release that year as well. Damn.

Micro Machines was 93 as well? Jesus. What a goddamn year.

redcrayon

My favourites at the time were Zelda: Links Awakening, Streets of Rage 2 and Secret of Mana. I still play the first two on a regular basis now. Zelda LA gets my pick.

Kaji AF16

Cadillacs & Dinosaurs (Arcade).

Honorable Mentions:
Doom (PC).
Ecco the Dolphin (Mega Drive).
Jurassic Park (Mega Drive).
Mortal Kombat 2 (Arcade).
Shinobi 3 (Mega Drive).
Streets of Rage 2 (Mega Drive).
X-Men (Mega Drive).

Great year. By then, I was 10-11 years old and videogames had become a very important part of my life.

mnemonicj

Man I used to play the crap out Street Fighter 2 and Mortal Kombat on my SNES with my brother because SNES > Genesis.

Street Fighter was definitely my favorite.

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
I actually have fond memories of Jurassic Park for Mega Drive. But at the same time I cant remember anything specific. Been a loooooong time. I just remember enjoying it. People who have more clear memories of it, is the game actually good?

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
SO many classics. Gotta go with X-Wing though, one of my favourite games of all time and easily among my fondest gaming memories.

Aladdin, FIFA and Street Fighter 2 SCE on the Mega Drive were also fucking brilliant.

Man I used to play the crap out Street Fighter 2 and Mortal Kombat on my SNES with my brother because SNES > Genesis.

Not when it comes to Mortal Kombat.

I actually have fond memories of Jurassic Park for Mega Drive. But at the same time I cant remember anything specific. Been a loooooong time. I just remember enjoying it. People who have more clear memories of it, is the game actually good?

I remember using the cheat for infinite ammo and all weapons and I'd play the velociraptor final boss battle and attack them like hell without realizing that attacking them isn't how you beat them. xD~~

RaginRoss

I'm going to say X-Wing. Really close for me between that and Super Mario All Stars (SNES was my first console so that was my first experience of all those games on there).

robotrock

Banned
When I saw DOOM on there I was gonna click the post button but then I scrolled down and saw everything else.

Yeah wow 1993 was incredible for video games

Jacknapes

Back then, it was Aladdin. That's mostly all i played in 93, trying to get past that Magic carpet escape level for weeks, if not months.

MrBadger

Streets of Rage 2 for one of the greatest soundtracks of all time. Also some of the best visuals on the system. The urban atmosphere in this game is unmatched. And the whole game feels like a journey set in one night, with the faint sun rise in the background of the final boss fight. It's a small thing but I love the sense of progression between stages.

364931-streets-of-rage-2-genesis-screenshot-stage-8-skate-is-break.gif

Also a big fan of the good version of Aladdin. The one that's fun to play, as opposed to the one that plays like crap but everyone loves because of the Disney animators and the sword.

thejesu

Neo Member
Wow, great year for videogaming.

I would pick... Flashback. I didn't play Another World at the time so it leaved strong memories in me.

JamboGT

I didn't really have a home console that had games coming out at this point, still had my Master System, 1993 for me games wise was mostly Virtua Racing in the arcades and then maybe being amazed at Ridge Racer!

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
When I saw DOOM on there I was gonna click the post button but then I scrolled down and saw everything else.

Yeah wow 1993 was incredible for video games
Yeah, it's like, you think you have an answer then you scroll and see somethi g else. Then something else. Then something else. Then something else etc. Looking at that list has me thinking 93 must be one of the best years ever. It has to be.

spekkeh

Banned
Jesus Christ this year. I didn't realize. I was going through the list and it was just impossible. Mortal Kombat, Doom, Dune, X-Wing, Street Fighter Turbo, Gunstar Heroes, Aladdin, Micro Machines, XCOM, ....

But then I saw it. No contest after all.

secret-of-mana-flammie.jpg

Secret of Mana is still GOAT JRPG imo.

TheMoon

easy mode

Link's Awakening

weak overall year though. and people were giving 2009 shit for being week lol.

What a year in gaming!

No contest for me though. It is still in my top 10 GOAT list...

FLASHBACK

If I played the Sega CD version at the time, I probably would have said, "Oh man, the cutscenes are 3D! And there's voice-acting! Amazing!" Now, the voice-acting sounds like stuff I did when I created some Starcraft maps back in the day. xD~~

BTW, for those of you who played Myst back then, did you get the red pages or the blue ones? One of my friends learned a life lesson from the game.

I could never get that far, and my brother, my dad and I triple-teamed it and tried our best. I probably would have gotten the blue pages.

About that friend. This is what he did:

"I played Myst right around its release, so I was 10, or just about to be. Most of the puzzles were too hard for me, but I would ask my dad for help who was further along and I would also read the notes that my dad took in the journal that they supplied with the game.

By the time I got to the end, I chose the blue book. I felt bad for Achenar. He seemed like a tortured soul by his brother, but otherwise good. So I freed him, and then was blown away by his betrayal. When I told my dad I expected that he too must have suffered the same fate; Achenar was obviously a good man in need of help. But my father had not make the same mistake, and in response, he just kind of smiled and told me I was too trusting. That ending of Myst and my father's response stuck with me. I decided from then on that I would be more careful and skeptical of people's supposed good nature. I also remember feeling lucky that I learned that lesson from a video game, rather than life."

Pretty interesting take!

Malawhur

I am gonna go with Aladdin although I have to say that there are few games I played from this list.
NBA Jam and Mortal Kombat were also great.

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
easy mode

Link's Awakening

weak overall year though. and people were giving 2009 shit for being week lol.
What the hell do you consider a strong year?

This actually makes me really interested in the future 16 bit years topics. There cant be a better year than this in that era. There cant be.

PsionBolt

Mega Man X came out in December '93 in Japan! It technically counts!

Honourable mention to Cybernator. Nearly every game I've ever played goes into one of two categories: "beaten" or "dropped". Cybernator is one of very few that lands in the "on hold" category. I'll beat it someday, I swear!

Top Bottom