• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What was your favourite old school gaming magazines?

UnNamed

Banned
c-vg-08-il-dizionario-dei-videogiochi.jpg

Roberts

UK version of PC Gamer, because that was the only gaming magazine you could buy in my neck of the woods way back in the 90's. When traveling abroad, I would buy PC Zone - it's cool to see now that Charlie Brooker has gone a long way since being a game journalist. I kind of stoped reading gaming magazines is 00's except for getting occasional edition of XOM (Xbox magazine) here and then.

Xplainin

Banned
ST Format was my first regular buy - I don’t remember buying anything for my Amstrad CPC464 but ST Format got me really looking at games and being more aware of what was coming.

They also got me into programming properly with cover disks with STOS and GFA basic on them and things like the Bitmap Brothers doing Assembler tutorials, where previously I’d mucked about on my Amstrad (I’d have been about 8 so my code wasn’t hugely sophisticated but it wasn’t bad for my age).

I have a thread the ST Format Challenge https://www.neogaf.com/threads/the-st-format-challenge.1533843/ for anyone interested in that kind of thing.

Once I got my first PC in 1996 I stopped getting magazines for a while but eventually settled on PC Zone. It was awesome. Helped by amazing games coming out with incredible frequency in the late 90s the magazine had wonderful writing and that 90s edge that’s missing today.

To anyone on this thread, I recommend going to archive.org as they have a huge selection of old gaming magazines.
I.had an Amstrad 464 as well.
Do you remember buying those books that had all the game codes in them and you had to type out the whole thing and see if your game would run, or try and find the mistakes you had made typing them in.

H

hariseldon

Unconfirmed Member
I.had an Amstrad 464 as well.
Do you remember buying those books that had all the game codes in them and you had to type out the whole thing and see if your game would run, or try and find the mistakes you had made typing them in.

Yeah I remember them though I don’t remember what the magazines were. I used to get them running but then be pissed off with some aspect and end up updating the code to make it better (which in those days means typing it all out again). Born to be a programmer!

Handy Fake

Shout out to Amiga Format as well. Great magazine and some excellent giveaway disks on the cover. Remember getting Vista, Deluxe Paint and all sorts.

Hudo

GameStar (German Magazine) From 1998 to like 2008, or so. After that, it went downhill, IMHO. Nowadays, I wouldn't trust any of their reviews, overall.

Type_Raver

Gamefan and Super Play, closely followed by EGM. Didn't have access to Nintendo Power in Australia, but we had Nintendo Aus Mag though it was rather ordinary. NEXT and Edge had nice a nice premium feel but the with a price to match here as well. Shame I checked out 99% of my mags all those years ago, and only have a couple left.

Top Bottom