• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What you always wanted to know about German, but never dared ask

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lach

One thing I continuously witness and almost makes me burst everytime is when a german person speaks english uses "to become" as a translation for "bekommen (to get)".

"I'm sorry, I've not become your email"

Why are germans so grumpy?

And why do Germans pick their nose in public? (I experienced this personally while living in Germany)

Randam

Why couldn't you guys come up with a own name for kindergarten?

And why do you use rucksack?

And btw.: cellphone is could handy here.

El Topo

One thing I continuously witness and almost makes me burst everytime is when a german person speaks english uses "to become" as a translation for "bekommen (to get)".

Lach net drüber.

Hammer24

Banned
And why do Germans pick their nose in public? (I experienced this personally while living in Germany)

The Other White Meat!
No seriously, its gross, and I would say not exactly wide spread.

That's actually one of the first big hurdles in learning English. The words sound so alike, its hard to fathom there is a totally different meaning.

Hammer24

Banned
Where have you been in germany?

Grumpy germans? You sure been visiting an "altersheim" I guess :D

Depends on the region. Where I´m at, people stare at their feet all the time, never looking you in the eye - probably just to avoid a greeting.
My current working theory is, they got their chins stapled to their breastbones.

Where have you been in germany?

Grumpy germans? You sure been visiting an "altersheim" I guess :D

quqhXGA.gif

And I was just joking about the grumpy german thing. Its just an unfortunate stereotype thats developed. But it was overcast almost all year when I lived there and I was pretty sure I was depressed as a result. I need my vitamin D.

MonkeyChime

Neo Member
7. Treppenwitz (Staircase joke)

Wiki

L'esprit de l'escalier or l'esprit d'escalier ("staircase wit") is a French term used in English that describes the predicament of thinking of the perfect retort too late.

Vuze

3. Kummerspeck (Grief bacon)
When a relationship ends or during other times of sadness, anger, or worry, it’s common to put on a few pounds of Kummerspeck. What it means is the excess weight put on by emotional overeating. So when you find yourself on the couch watching ”Bridget Jones’ Diary” with a tub of ice cream, you are in fact feeding your grief bacon.

6. Torschlusspanik (Closing-gate panic)
As people get older, some find themselves worrying about roads not taken or milestones they meant to achieve by a certain age but haven’t. Torschlusspanik is the feeling of urgency to accomplish them before some imaginary gate closes and “it’s all too late.” It’s mostly used for those who sense their biological clock is running out and feel the need to settle with a partner or have children immediately.

11. Backpfeifengesicht (Slap face)
Have you ever heard the joke “Some people just need a high five – in the face – with a chair?” Backpfeifengesicht kind of goes in the same direction. It describes someone who you feel needs a slap in the face. Disclaimer: we’re telling you this for informational purposes only and do not in any way condone violence.

I've never heard those in my whole life lol

Nice thread!

A brother of mine will be moving to Germany soon. I'll definitely tell him about these.
I'm also possibly going to start using "swinehound" as an insult now.

FuuRe

funny-pictures-german-language-meme-5.jpg

I not very fond of memes but this one is appropiate, there's a lot more

It's like germans join basic words to give meanings to things

I'm no german nor do i know to speak anything german besides ja, nein, drucken, kopieren and abbrechen so my assumption is probably wrong

The picture is not fair, imo. The languages above are very close to each other (Through history). I'm sure finnish guys have a funny word for science as well.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
I don't like how Germans think they own Schadenfreude. We have it in Swedish too: skadeglädje. Means exactly the same thing. So, yeah, take that!

Almost all of those work in Swedish as well, translated 1:1. The two languages are rather closely related, I suppose! We make exactly the same sort of compound words/names for things.

Kyougar

It's like germans join basic words to give meanings to things

I'm no german nor do i know to speak anything german besides ja, nein, drucken, kopieren and abbrechen so my assumption is probably wrong

These memes are funny but not accurate. "Naturwissenschaften" is a softer Word natively then "Science" is in english

also, someone already did the "I think I spider" joke :(

Hammer24

Banned

*right-click, save-as*

I don't like how Germans think they own Schadenfreude. We have it in Swedish too: skadeglädje. Means exactly the same thing. So, yeah, take that!
Almost all of those work in Swedish as well, translated 1:1. The two languages are rather closely related, I suppose! We make exactly the same sort of compound words/names for things.

Aren´t you the guys that even had to import their queen from us?!

They are only until they do something unspeakably bad, then they´ll always be seen as German! ;-P

It's wrong. Naturwissenschaften = natural sciences. Not that much longer.

Also in reply to the animal names. I like how literal a lot of the German language is. Naturwissenschaft for example literally means nature knowledge creation

Fritz

Germans are a not grumpy, they are "einsilbig". And not more or less so than their neighbors. I think it's a climate thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom