• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What you always wanted to know about German, but never dared ask

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 245925

Unconfirmed Member
What do you mean? It's usually "kickern" for the verb or "Kickertisch" for the thing.

You Germans with your silly words, it's called "wuzln" and "Wuzltisch" in Austria. Also, you can "wuzl" a cigarette on a "Wuzltisch", but don't do it while you are "am wuzln", or you will lose.

ymmv

Banned
funny-pictures-german-language-meme-5.jpg

I not very fond of memes but this one is appropiate, there's a lot more

It's like germans join basic words to give meanings to things

That's the way all Germanic languages work. Anglosaxon English used to be like that too - till the Normans ruined it.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
Sitzpinkler (a man who urinates while sitting down)

wtf germans insult each other with this? I've been given the stink eye by so many german dudes for saying it's normal to piss standing up, followed by 'not at someones house it's not'

ymmv

Banned
I don't like how Germans think they own Schadenfreude. We have it in Swedish too: skadeglädje. Means exactly the same thing. So, yeah, take that!

Dutch: Leedvermaak. Same thing.

Almost all of those work in Swedish as well, translated 1:1. The two languages are rather closely related, I suppose! We make exactly the same sort of compound words/names for things.

Dutch too. As I said earlier, what English speakers find funny about German is common in all Germanic languages like Dutch, Afrikaans, Danish, Norwegian, Swedish ... But for some reason the English would rather use a Latin word than a compound.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Aren´t you the guys that even had to import their queen from us?!

Yep, and the lineage on the king's side goes back to a French guy in the 1800s. Our royal family has no connection to the old Swedish kings. Personally, I think that whole institution is a pointless and obsolete old relic that we don't need anymore (I'd rather have a president), but nothing will be done about that anytime soon.

No "Schadenfreude" yet?
GAF I am disappoint!

Came here to post this. I'm surprised it wasn't in the list either.

Where is schadenfreude?

It's been mentioned, but it's also been mentioned that it's not an exclusively German word at all, like many seem to think (probably because you've imported the German version). We have an exact equivalent in Swedish, as do many other Germanic languages.

Dutch: Leedvermaak. Same thing.

Dutch too. As I said earlier, what English speakers find funny about German is common in all Germanic languages like Dutch, Afrikaans, Danish, Norwegian, Swedish ... But for some reason the English would rather use a Latin word than a compound.

Yeah, very true.

as said above, blame the Normans :/

we have plenty of Germanic-type compounds we use in everyday English (teacup, airport/airplane, clockwork, headquarters, outgrow, sportsmanship, etc. etc.) but anything with more than two elements is generally reworded, hyphenated, or restructured.

we like exploiting our large lexicon!

We have "tohu-bohu" in french which is the same meaning as "tohuwabohu".
Didn't know it came from Hebrew.

The German in Rhineland (around Cologne and Düsseldorf) is heaviliy influenced by Jewish language becoming it's own new language "Yiddish".
For example Tinnef ("garbage").

It also got heavily influenced by French language e.g. "Mach mal keine Visimatenten" ("Don't make a fuss) or trottoir and portemonnaie.

Chariot

The German in Rhineland (around Cologne and Düsseldorf) is heaviliy influenced by Jewish language becoming it's own new language "Yiddish".
For example Tinnef ("garbage").

It also got heavily influenced by French language e.g. "Mach mal keine Visimatenten" ("Don't make a fuss) or trottoir and portemonnaie.
There was a time were you weren't cool when you didn't spoke french in europe.

halfbeast

Banned
many moons ago I watched one of those "who wants to be a millionaire" shows on austrian tv. one of the answers was "Brathendlfriedhof" (literal translation: fried chicken graveyard), which means stomach.

best word ever!

Hammer24

Banned
wtf germans insult each other with this? I've been given the stink eye by so many german dudes for saying it's normal to piss standing up, followed by 'not at someones house it's not'

The word implies, that you are weak, because you always do what a woman wants.
In reality, in a private setting (like f.i. at someones house) its considered rude to piss standing. But in public spaces (like f.i. in a restaurant) its expected.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom