• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What's so great about Netflix She-Ra?

autoduelist

Good question. I guess it's different from your definition.

Wokeness implies it is infected by some variation of intersectionalism [power stacking of different demographics], critical race theory, and related psuedo-intellectual pursuits. It has elements of Marxism [and anti-capitalism] and postmodernism [truth is what you think it is] weaved tightly in.

The above factors lead directly to common themes - sexuality and the ever growing/changing list of lbgt letters is tied to power stacking and interscene warfare. Outrage and cancel culture ties into CRT because proponents are taught every thing is power, everything is racist, you just need to find it [if a barista serves you too slow, it is because they dislike serving you, too fast, because they want you gone] and if you can't find it it's becsuse you have internalized the racism. They are hyperfocused on obscure issues like transgenderism because it taps into many of the above - power stacking against lbg, but also post modernity, breaking down definitions, etc.

Thus, the example someone posted of a 'gay looking' character from some old episode of She Ra is immaterial. Little kids seeing that at the time were not sexualized. They did not see that as a gay call out even if some gay guy saw it and chuckled. Cartoons are often chock full of adult references and jokes, and this has never been much of an issue because they clearly were double entendres that went over kids heads.

A woke show is not that. Not only are they not trying to go over the kids head, the wokest would consider that homophobic or transphobic. Rather, the shows job would be to introduce sexuality to kids - to openly discuss sexuality and teach kids about woke gender topics like homosexuality or non-binary or transgenderism. The stated goal of many woke types is to literally end run the parent, to spread woke to children to help create their little communist utopia down the line.

This unending, humorless, ever more radicalized approach to content is why woke content often falls so flat. Why shows that 'go woke' feel so wooden, with dialog so obviously written to preach wokeness. Why a character visits a bakery for no reason, encounters some absurd, manufactured 'racist' event, only to justify beating the viewer over the head with some anti-racist message. The woke consider themselves preachers, and it's particularly reprehensible they want to preach to little kids.

Research James Lindsay [among others] for detailed breakdowns of all this. Wokeness is tightly intertwined with cancel culture, which is how it infects companies and institutions. Any not down with the program get cancelled, leaving a woke toilet of 'talent' creating increasingly radicalized content.

If this sounds crazy, don't blame me, they are fucking crazy.

The thing is, I don't have a problem with gay people, people of other skin colours, or people that feel they are born in the wrong body. Everybody should just be able to live in a way that makes them happy.

Very few people have any issue with this. The issue people have is with woke ideology. Critical race theory is race supremacy. Gender theory is leading to giving 8 year olds puberty blockers. The ideology is a toxic, highly contagious mind virus cocktail of bad ideas that actively and openly seek to break down society. This is why core principles like 2+2=4 are under attack.

Again, if this sounds crazy, don't blame me, blame the woke supremacists.

And I don't have a problem with shows that cater to these audiences.

Who does?
The issue is the audience for lesbian soap operas should not be 8 year old girls. I shouldn't have to be concerned if my 3 year old wants to watch My Little Ponies because a pony might go on a sudden diatribe about how wonderful it is to be gender fluid. My 6 year old shouldn't be told America is a slavocracy in the middle of, say, Transformers.

The issue is wokeness.

The problem I see is, when that stuff sips into my hetero male movies, and tries to make ME feel like I am wrong with my sex, skin color or general body image. And that's what the woke agenda tries to do.
Dividing us.

We should be better than that.

That is only the surface of woke. You are absolutely correct that intersectionalism and critical race theory seeks to divide. However, you underestimate their goals and reach.

But hey, forgetting all that, I would ask yourself why you are watching a sexualized cartoon aimed at prepubescent girls... and why doing so leads into a conversation about homosexuality, gender, and related topics. And if the answer is because 'it's good!' or 'because I like it', then again, I would counter by simply repeating, why are you watching a sexualized show aimed at prepubescent girls? This breakdown of norms is part of the woke agenda.

Let little girls be little girls. If the show is suddenly appealing to adults because it has some relatable agenda baked in, perhaps it is time for adults to let kids have their shows back, just as we need woke out of sports, games, politics, movies, tv, and everything else it touches.

Last edited:
Wokeness implies it is infected by some variation of intersectionalism [power stacking of different demographics], critical race theory, and related psuedo-intellectual pursuits. It has elements of Marxism [and anti-capitalism] and postmodernism [truth is what you think it is] weaved tightly in.

The above factors lead directly to common themes - sexuality and the ever growing/changing list of lbgt letters is tied to power stacking and interscene warfare. Outrage and cancel culture ties into CRT because proponents are taught every thing is power, everything is racist, you just need to find it [if a barista serves you too slow, it is because they dislike serving you, too fast, because they want you gone] and if you can't find it it's becsuse you have internalized the racism. They are hyperfocused on obscure issues like transgenderism because it taps into many of the above - power stacking against lbg, but also post modernity, breaking down definitions, etc.
Ok.
Imo not that far from my definition, just worded a lot more complicated..

Thus, the example someone posted of a 'gay looking' character from some old episode of She Ra is immaterial. Little kids seeing that at the time were not sexualized. They did not see that as a gay call out even if some gay guy saw it and chuckled. Cartoons are often chock full of adult references and jokes, and this has never been much of an issue because they clearly were double entendres that went over kids heads.
While that's not wrong, I don't get why you are so hung up about this, since I never stated that and even cleared up what my intention for posting that pic was.

Did you even read what I wrote there and want to discuss about that or do you just want to get some point across that has nothing to do with what I intended to say?

A woke show is not that. Not only are they not trying to go over the kids head, the wokest would consider that homophobic or transphobic. Rather, the shows job would be to introduce sexuality to kids - to openly discuss sexuality and teach kids about woke gender topics like homosexuality or non-binary or transgenderism. The stated goal of many woke types is to literally end run the parent, to spread woke to children to help create their little communist utopia down the line.
Might be, but In don't see how a glamouros Unicorn-Pegasus, a caring gay male parent couple or an alien creature that is bigender achieve that.

It's not like they are fucking on screen and putting dildos into their buttholes. Actually there are a lot of family values being shown in that show.

This unending, humorless, ever more radicalized approach to content is why woke content often falls so flat. Why shows that 'go woke' feel so wooden, with dialog so obviously written to preach wokeness. Why a character visits a bakery for no reason, encounters some absurd, manufactured 'racist' event, only to justify beating the viewer over the head with some anti-racist message. The woke consider themselves preachers, and it's particularly reprehensible they want to preach to little kids.
I don't see this happening in She-Ra.
Have you even seen the show?

Research James Lindsay [among others] for detailed breakdowns of all this. Wokeness is tightly intertwined with cancel culture, which is how it infects companies and institutions. Any not down with the program get cancelled, leaving a woke toilet of 'talent' creating increasingly radicalized content.

If this sounds crazy, don't blame me, they are fucking crazy.
You sound a bit scared.

Very few people have any issue with this. The issue people have is with woke ideology. Critical race theory is race supremacy. Gender theory is leading to giving 8 year olds puberty blockers. The ideology is a toxic, highly contagious mind virus cocktail of bad ideas that actively and openly seek to break down society. This is why core principles like 2+2=4 are under attack.

Again, if this sounds crazy, don't blame me, blame the woke supremacists.
I am with you on this, and am completely against things like puberty blockers.
Where we disagree is that a show that shows queer stuff as being okay is leading to completely lunatic bevahiour.
That's like saying Lethal Weapon or Hot Shots is responsible for gun violence.

Who does?
The issue is the audience for lesbian soap operas should not be 8 year old girls. I shouldn't have to be concerned if my 3 year old wants to watch My Little Ponies because a pony might go on a sudden diatribe about how wonderful it is to be gender fluid. My 6 year old shouldn't be told America is a slavocracy in the middle of, say, Transformers.

Yeah, because your 8 year old will suddenly turn gay just because he/she sees a same sex couple kissing... LOL.

But hey, forgetting all that, I would ask yourself why you are watching a sexualized cartoon aimed at prepubescent girls... and why doing so leads into a conversation about homosexuality, gender, and related topics.
Once again, this show isn't more "sexualized" than anything else where teenagers fall in love. Like The boy and the elven girl in "Dragon Prince" for instance.

They are not fucking on screen, and they are not telling me how vastly superior it is to be sucking dick as a man instead of vagina.

Also, not every relationship in this show is queer.

Sorry, but it's all in your head.

And if the answer is because 'it's good!' or 'because I like it', then again, I would counter by simply repeating, why are you watching a sexualized show aimed at prepubescent girls? This breakdown of norms is part of the woke agenda.
Sorry, but that's bullshit.
There are a lot of grown up men on this board who watch silly kiddo anime bullshit I would not touch with a ten foot pole.
(add/edit: I mean, we are discussing this on a GAMING FORUM! Just a generation back computer games were solely for children. My chain smoking whisky drinking chad father sneered at me for playing computer games instead of going outside and playing football.)

People just like different things.
And what's the "norm" has been changing since like ever. My father didn't understand a thing about what I thought was cool, and so it's partially for me and my sons.

Let little girls be little girls. If the show is suddenly appealing to adults because it has some relatable agenda baked in, perhaps it is time for adults to let kids have their shows back, just as we need woke out of sports, games, politics, movies, tv, and everything else it touches.
The problem I see with your view is, that it is so completely out of touch with modern realities that this will never happen.
You basically want the 50ies and the nuclear family back.

You are just the other side of the divide.

Last edited:

autoduelist

The problem I see with your view is, that it is so completely out of touch with modern realities that this will never happen.
You basically want the 50ies and the nuclear family back.

You are just the other side of the divide.

If that's what you got out of my post, go back to watching sexualized kid cartoons.

If that's what you got out of my post, go back to watching sexualized kid cartoons.
If that's what you got out of my post, then go back not reading replies.

(add/edit: Mate, I expected more of you than running away from a discussion. :messenger_neutral: )

Last edited:

autoduelist

If that's what you got out of my post, then go back not reading replies.

(add/edit: Mate, I expected more of you than running away from a discussion. :messenger_neutral: )

Why? I give a long description of wokeness, pointing out the intent of the idealogy, and joke that it sounds crazy [because it does], but is well documented... and you get that I am 'scared' out of that. Huh?

Your basic argument consists of wanting your guy movies to stay the same...
"The problem I see is, when that stuff sips into my hetero male movies"
but then suddenly don't care when the same "stuff lips into" shows marketed to my daughter because.... you want to watch them?

You admit "There are a lot of grown up men on this board who watch silly kiddo anime bullshit I would not touch with a ten foot pole." but call "bullshit" when I call you out for watching a sexualized cartoon marketed to 8 year old girls. How about we call out both? Why is any 30 year old watching something made for 'kiddos' unless they have them? I am sorry if calling out your habits is now taboo in 2020, but that is not my problem, and you don't seem to mind calling out others, so....

You tell me I want life in "50ies" in response to me saying "let little girls be little girls". What? How am i supposed to read that? Where did I even suggest that?

You state "Also, not every relationship in this show is queer." as if that proves something. So what? Why is sexual preference in a kid cartoon at all? That's the issue, not what percent. 'Only a little sexual preference is mentioned' is about the same as a 'mostly peaceful' riot. We have seen an absolute avalanche of woke media come at us for years... I don't want a second of it in kid's shows.

Given all the above examples, where have you given me any reason to stay in this 'discussion'? You want me to be okay that the show marketed to my daughter has baked in ideology because you like to watch it too.

I was not 'running away' from the conversation. I was being kind. It was late, and I decided not to excoriate your post, position, and viewing choices or point out the wild inconsistencies in your stance based on whether it's '[your] hetero male movies' or a kid show for girls. Those inconsistencies, plus the other examples above, indicated this discussion had no future so I was going to let it slide.

Last edited:

Fbh

Just looking at images it seems to be full of the stuff that the weird cartoon obsessed woke crowd loves (diverse cast, LGBT stuff, overweight characters, etc).

Haven't watched it though.
Voltron on Netflix was great though (the earlier seasons more than the newer ones):

Nah thanks, i'm just rewatching the original saint seya with jap dub for the first time (always watched with italian voices).

Guess you've also had your fill of gay cartoon stuff.
BXKQUYZSYFEEVMUHKXD6H3WRAM.jpg

GymWolf

Just looking at images it seems to be full of the stuff that the weird cartoon obsessed woke crowd loves (diverse cast, LGBT stuff, overweight characters, etc).

Haven't watched it though.
Voltron on Netflix was great though (the earlier seasons more than the newer ones):

Guess you've also had your fill of gay cartoon stuff.
BXKQUYZSYFEEVMUHKXD6H3WRAM.jpg
Oh absolutely 🕺

Also the jap va completely change the various knights, the italian voices are complete crap in term of characterization.

The dragon with italian voice was a week bitch while in jap he is a badass, even andromeda is far more badass.

Carna

Banned
The character design is vomit inducing, where did these people go to school for working in animation?

Azzurri

I found it to be generic and very underwhelming when I watched the first season. And I can't stand the animation, I could have done better.

Now, the Dragon Prince on the other hand is WAY better.

Fbh

This is a badly doctored image. There is no gay relationship in Saint Seiya.
Lol calm down man, it's a joke.

There's no gay relationships but still...this is literally a scene from the show:
C3HFTGX3A5GU3EFLHNPFFCN634.jpg

Compared to other popular anime back then (at least here in Latin America) Saint Seiya definitely had a higher number of effeminate characters.

Everyone made fun of that back then while still loving the show.

Last edited:
I was not 'running away' from the conversation. I was being kind.
LOL, yeah, like all people are scared of your superior discussion skills. I get it. : D
So, then thanks for being kind...

It was late, and I decided not to excoriate your post, position, and viewing choices or point out the wild inconsistencies in your stance based on whether it's '[your] hetero male movies' or a kid show for girls. Those inconsistencies, plus the other examples above, indicated this discussion had no future so I was going to let it slide.
And yet here you go with your little passive aggressive post.
You are man of principles I see.

Why? I give a long description of wokeness, pointing out the intent of the idealogy, and joke that it sounds crazy [because it does], but is well documented... and you get that I am 'scared' out of that. Huh?
After a bit thinking about your words, I think you are simply scared of gays.
Problem is, not everything that's gay is woke.

By setting this equal you are doing "Anti Woke" a disservice.

Your basic argument consists of wanting your guy movies to stay the same...
"The problem I see is, when that stuff sips into my hetero male movies"
but then suddenly don't care when the same "stuff lips into" shows marketed to my daughter because.... you want to watch them?

LOL, I couldn't care less about watching "She-Ra" or not, mate.
It's just that I don't feel as threatened as you are by two girls having a harmless romance without any sexual innuendo with each other.

Also, like i said before, this show is clearly marketed to a gay audience which is very clear after the first 10 minutes. You as a parent should be checking everything your child sees, anyway.

That's what I do at least before I let my son watch something.

And that clear direction makes this thing "non woke" in my eyes.
YMMV.

You admit "There are a lot of grown up men on this board who watch silly kiddo anime bullshit I would not touch with a ten foot pole." but call "bullshit" when I call you out for watching a sexualized cartoon marketed to 8 year old girls.
Give me an example how She-Ra is "sexualized".
Also, if that harmless romances they are showing would be hetero based, would that be "non sexualized" for you?
That excludes a lot of Disney movies and even fucking Shrek, for gods sake.

How about we call out both? Why is any 30 year old watching something made for 'kiddos' unless they have them? I am sorry if calling out your habits is now taboo in 2020, but that is not my problem, and you don't seem to mind calling out others, so....
LOL again. "My habits" is rich.. haha.

I played with Masters of the Universe toys as a kid in the early 80ies, and hated the Filmation stuff because I thought it was gay. Gave the first episode of She-Ra a try, and liked what I saw. Yeah, it's gay as fuck, but I sincerely think it's better made than the old show.
I usually don't watch any kids stuff except when I check what my sons watch.

You tell me I want life in "50ies" in response to me saying "let little girls be little girls". What? How am i supposed to read that? Where did I even suggest that?
Well, your idea that we can turn back the clock by resetting kids TV to something that was that way like 50 years ago.

Even when I was a child in the early 80ies this ship had sailed, dude.

You state "Also, not every relationship in this show is queer." as if that proves something. So what? Why is sexual preference in a kid cartoon at all? That's the issue, not what percent. 'Only a little sexual preference is mentioned' is about the same as a 'mostly peaceful' riot. We have seen an absolute avalanche of woke media come at us for years... I don't want a second of it in kid's shows.
So you'd forbid Shrek and Snow White as well, and sexual preference being shown there or are you just that scared of gay sexual preference being shown?

Given all the above examples, where have you given me any reason to stay in this 'discussion'? You want me to be okay that the show marketed to my daughter has baked in ideology because you like to watch it too.
A shit I do. You do you and whatever you feel is right for you as a parent of your daughter. And by no means you should let everything marketed to your kids going through to them.

But that's parent's 101.

I just make a point here what's woke and what is not woke in my opinion.

Peace out.

Lol calm down man, it's a joke.

There's no gay relationships but still...this is literally a scene from the show:
C3HFTGX3A5GU3EFLHNPFFCN634.jpg

Compared to other popular anima back then (at least here in Latin America) Saint Seiya definitely had a higher number of effeminate characters.

Everyone made fun of that back then while still loving the show.
Odd that I cannot remember this at all. When was this? I recall Shun being effeminate and the Pisces knight.

Fbh

Odd that I cannot remember this at all. When was this? I recall Shun being effeminate and the Pisces knight.

It's after the first fight between Hyoga and Camus.
Camus freezes Hyoga, later the other bronze saints free him but he is still unresponsive and Shun stays behind to "warm him up with his body heat and cosmo"

(Spanish dub, it's the first that shows up on youtube)

Apparently the whole scene was way more normal in the manga. He just holds him in his arms.
Not sure why they made it like that in the anime.

Top Bottom