• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What's your favorite Call of Duty single-player campaign

What is your favorite Call of Duty single-player campaign?

• Call of Duty (2003)

Votes: 4 2.5%
  • Call of Duty 2 (2005)

Votes: 7 4.5%
  • Call of Duty 3 (2006)

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare (2007)

Votes: 48 30.6%
  • Call of Duty: World at War (2008)

Votes: 6 3.8%
  • Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 (2009)

Votes: 22 14.0%
  • Call of Duty: Black Ops (2010)

Votes: 21 13.4%
  • Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 (2011)

Votes: 3 1.9%
  • Call of Duty: Black Ops II (2012)

Votes: 9 5.7%
  • Call of Duty: Ghosts (2013)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare (2014)

Votes: 3 1.9%
  • Call of Duty: Black Ops III (2015)

• Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare (2016)

Votes: 21 13.4%
  • Call of Duty: WWII (2017)

• Call of Duty: Black Ops 4 (2018)

• Call of Duty: Modern Warfare (2019)

• Call of Duty: Black Ops Cold War (2020)

• Call of Duty: Vanguard (2021)

• Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 (2022)

• Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 (2023)

Votes: 2 1.3%

• Total voters

Grildon Tundy

Gold Member
And why? Curious what the NEOGAF rank would be after voting.

This thread brought to you by my disappointment in Modern Warfare 3 2023's campaign and replaying Infinite Warfare, which is my new favorite.

Grildon Tundy

Gold Member
Whoops, I meant to post in the Gaming section. I messaged the mods to see if they can help move it.

Last edited:

Zuzu

My favourite ones are Modern Warfare (original), Black Ops 2, Advanced Warfare and Infinite Warfare.

Modern Warfare OG had the most wow factor for me at the time. There was nothing else like it. It was a revolution in cinematic linear fps games. But I think Black Ops 2 might just be a little better. It’s villain was the best in the series because he had genuine depth to his character, the gameplay was really refined and the moral choices you got to make throughout the campaign were well done.

Drizzlehell

Banned
The original Modern Warfare 2.

I prefer it over MW1 because it's such an epic and bombastic action game that feel like I'm playing through a Michael Bay movie. And I mean the early Michael Bay when he was still good, like The Rock and Armageddon. It's a game that always makes me go like this at several points throughout the campaign:
woo-yea-baby-woo.gif

ungalo

Modern Warfare 1 definitely. It was the most impactful when it came out and it's definitely part of the rebirth of the franchise, it wasn't just because of multiplayer.

WW2 was just too safe and it tackled modern conflict very well.

Music and atmosphere were incredible, most scenes have a lot of weight.

Killjoy-NL

COD4 MW, but only because it was the first COD I ever played.

Did finish campaigns for MW 2 and 3, but really couldn't care less.

Did buy BLOP2, WW2 and the latest MW2, but didn't bother playing the sp campaign and neither will play the campaign of MW3.

Last edited:

BigLee74

MW 2019 - awful. MW2 2022 - even worse.

Infinite warfare, Black Ops 1 & 2, Cold War, original MW - all great.

Let’s not speak about Black Ops 3…

Last edited:

Aion002

I used to love CoD single-player campaigns. For me the best one is Infinite Warfare, while the worst is Black Ops 3.

I hated Black Ops 3 campaing so much that I stopped buying CoD games until MW2 (2022) and I only bought it because of the mp, I didn't even downloaded the sp.

BLOPS is the most fun campaign, IMO. But I'm a sucker for unreliable narrators and historical fiction.

All of the original MW games and COD2 deserve a shout out, but also tally me on the fan side of both Infinite Warfare and BLOPS 3.

Roronoa Zoro

Gold Member
4 had so much hype and was the last time the single player was the focus before the Mp blew up

That first mission on the ship was immediately "Oh shit...this is amazing" and then the helicopters going into the city and the sniper mission and the AC130 and so many other just freaking amazing moments

Grildon Tundy

Gold Member
Call of Duty: Modern Warfare (2007) and Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 (2009) were the ones I was most blown away by at the time of release.

But because of Neogaf's buzz around Infinite Warfare, I went back to it, and it's my new favorite. If that game had been released as a spin-off or a separate IP (call it "Deleted: Imminent Void" or something vaguely sci-fi like that), it would've been better received, and we'd probably have a sequel to it by now.

It's the most immersive campaign. The first few missions as Reyes are basically a "one-shot" with no cuts to other locations or times: You're in his shoes from the meeting with your commanding officer, walk down to check out Fleet Week, watch a terrorist attack, fight through the city to your ship, fly into space, space combat, dock on a carrier in space, walk to your captain's quarters, pick the next mission, walk to your ship to start the next mission...amazing.

it still looks great, too. Other than when you get too close to textures does it look any more aged to my eyes than Modern Warfare 3 (2023), and Infinite Warfare came out in 2016.

Grildon Tundy

Gold Member
At 75 votes, here's the % of most-favorite COD campaigns by developer:

Infinity Ward: 72%
Treyarch: 26%
Sledgehammer Games: 3%

Holammer

BO2's story is bonkers, but I replayed it a few times to see the branching paths.
I did enjoy the MW trilogy and shamefully I haven't played Infinite at all, and I pre-ordered it! Never even played the MP.

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
So, I’ve never played a CoD game before, but I think I’d enjoy the campaigns. I don’t want a long campaign, though. Something between 4-8 hours max. What would be a good (and ideally cheap) one to start with?

Modern Warfare 1 and then World at War's co-op campaign. I haven't played one all the way through since BO2 though, so I don't have a great library to pick from.

I did play the Infinite Warfare one with a buddy's family-share account on Steam, but I didn't finish it, but I thought it was ok and didn't understand the vitriol it had at the time. If Activision would sell it, I'd have bought the Infinite Warfare campaign for like $10 if that was available to play it again. Even some of the other CoD games probably have some campaigns I'd enjoy at least 1 playthrough of, but I won't pay full price for less than half the game(if even that at this point) and have been fine skipping the series altogether.

Last edited:

Grildon Tundy

Gold Member
So, I’ve never played a CoD game before, but I think I’d enjoy the campaigns. I don’t want a long campaign, though. Something between 4-8 hours max. What would be a good (and ideally cheap) one to start with?
Infinite Warfare if you want the best campaign (in my opinion). I bought it for $4 at a second-hand store.

But if you want to play the one where COD campaigns became what they are today, play Modern Warfare 2007 or its remaster.

And, you could go by the rankings on the poll for this thread--Neogaf has good taste.

All of the campaigns are around that 4-8 hour length; some site I just Googled said that Black Ops 3 has the longest campaign of all of them at 9 hours.

Top Bottom