• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What's your favorite Call of Duty single-player campaign

What is your favorite Call of Duty single-player campaign?

• Call of Duty (2003)

Votes: 4 2.5%
  • Call of Duty 2 (2005)

Votes: 7 4.5%
  • Call of Duty 3 (2006)

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare (2007)

Votes: 48 30.6%
  • Call of Duty: World at War (2008)

Votes: 6 3.8%
  • Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 (2009)

Votes: 22 14.0%
  • Call of Duty: Black Ops (2010)

Votes: 21 13.4%
  • Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 (2011)

Votes: 3 1.9%
  • Call of Duty: Black Ops II (2012)

Votes: 9 5.7%
  • Call of Duty: Ghosts (2013)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare (2014)

Votes: 3 1.9%
  • Call of Duty: Black Ops III (2015)

• Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare (2016)

Votes: 21 13.4%
  • Call of Duty: WWII (2017)

• Call of Duty: Black Ops 4 (2018)

• Call of Duty: Modern Warfare (2019)

• Call of Duty: Black Ops Cold War (2020)

• Call of Duty: Vanguard (2021)

• Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 (2022)

• Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 (2023)

Votes: 2 1.3%

• Total voters

Kupfer

Call of Duty 2 and it's not really close
It had its moments, but at the same time, respawning enemies whose position you had to push, auto-regenerative health and grenade spam were introduced.
On the one hand, this laid the foundation for all 20ish other CoDs, but on the other, it threw the gameplay legacy of the first game (and United Offensive) out the window.

CoD 2003 is more unique in that way than any other CoD.

But I guess for most players the series opened up with Modern Warfare on the consoles. This was something else which people had not seen before. Probably many people here voted for MW 2007 didn't even play CoD 1, 2 & 3.

Last edited:

Grildon Tundy

Gold Member
Surprised no one called me out for having Black Ops IV on the poll.

What would've been worse for MWIII 2023: having the campaign it does or not including a campaign at all?

//DEVIL//

MW4 on ps360.

The one with the Nuke.

Which one of the MW recent gsmes has that story ? 2019 ?

Also, which of the new one has that airport stage ? The one I think was called no Russia or something I forgot. The one They kill everyone in the airport

Last edited:
nZ15Pfr.gif

YVZ1cXr.jpg

twilo99

How much of the player base actually cares about the campaign? I’ve been playing CoD for about 7 years and I haven’t touched a single campaign

Grildon Tundy

Gold Member
How much of the player base actually cares about the campaign? I’ve been playing CoD for about 7 years and I haven’t touched a single campaign
Hard to say. This is from 2018, so things could have changed since then. It says 30-40% of people finished the campaigns on average.

I put hundreds of hours into the COD multi-player, but I'll still play each campaign through once.

Up to 50% play the single player campaign, depending on the year. In general, Activision knows what they are doing, they have never dropped the single player campaign unlike for example Battlefield and it's because they know people expect it and play it.

Hard to say. This is from 2018, so things could have changed since then. It says 30-40% of people finished the campaigns on average.

I put hundreds of hours into the COD multi-player, but I'll still play each campaign through once.
I'm going to say the number is probably higher the last couple years with the early access for the campaign. By finishing the campaign you actually unlock four operators, a weapon blueprint, and some other items to use in MP, Warzone and Zombies. They did the same thing last year and to me this is no different than grinding camos or whatever other unlocks people work towards. This is a smart marketing strategy by Activision for sure. Call it FOMO or OCD people will grind the SP whether they enjoy it or not just to get the unlocks.

Last edited:
Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare, but it's such a close contest between this and it's sequel 2 years later, for me.

From the level design, to gunplay and game design, to that fucking ending putting a bullet into Zakhaev's head finally after missing him in All Ghillied Up, and to top it all of the fucking 'Mile High Club' mission and achievement on Veteran, is just the icing on the cake. Chef's kiss.

MW2 follows the same formula, but the with the betrayal of the resident scumbag, Shepherd replacing Zakhaev, and sets up a little underwhelming Makarov as the big bad in MW3. Almost same gameplay, new set of weapons, great level design again, great visuals for it's time, fantastic pacing again.

But, Jesus Christ, the one thing that MW2 is clearly superior to MW1, in everything, every goddamn level in this game is just amplified by that fucking GODLIKE score by Hans Zimmer, like HOLY SHIT. Just listen to this banger alone. The greatest opening and ending to a CoD game, EVER.

I still choose MW1 (2007), just by a whisker, but love them both equally.

Honorable mentions are World at War and it's sequels, BLOPS & BLOPS II, which are fantastic in their own right.

Filben

Story-wise, Black Ops 1 because it felt like a thriller and not another generic military story. Didn't see that twist coming.

In terms of set pieces, I still like Call of Duty 1 and of course MW1.

Top Bottom