• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

When you find a new favorite band/artist, how do you typically explore their discography?

When you find a new favorite band/artist, how do you typically explore their discography?

• Start from their first album and move chronologically.

• Dive into their latest album and work backwards.

• Listen to their highest-rated album first.

• Listen to their most popular singles first.

• Randomly select albums or singles.

Results are only viewable after voting.

feynoob

Banned
Camila cabelo and sia.

For some reason, their voices makes the song alluring and relaxing to listen.

other honarable mentions

Last edited:

Winter John

Gold Member
Depends on how many albums. If they've put out a bunch I'll go on Metacritic and listen to the ones with the highest score then go downwards. If there's only a couple I'll just start with the first one

Last edited:

Pimpollo818

chronologically
make my own "hit list"
see what mass media considered to be the hits. be amused.

Last edited:

Outpost #31

If they have just 1 or 2 albums I'll check those out on youtube.

If it's more then 2 albums then i usually download their discography and load it up in Winamp.
Start with their earliest work and work my way up to their most recent release. If there's anything on there that i like i buy the album.

Even if it's only 2 songs or something i usually end up buying it for cheap on some marketplace anyway because i like to own physical copies of things.

Dark Star

I usually find music through youtube or spotify. for youtube it's music videos, singles, and even full albums. spotify playlists have introduced me to a lot as well.

I like listening to the entire discography after discovering the popular/hit songs from that artist/band. For metal bands I for sure like listening to each album in it's entirety starting from their first LP to their latest. For pop/rap music I don't dig too far honestly, usually the hit songs are the best songs.

If you want to understand how a band's sound has changed through the years, then you need to hear their evolution through albums, starting from the beginning.

obituary's first album

their 2023 release.

some bands have a really mixed bag discography in terms of quality/style, so in those cases I just listen to whatever I think I will like, and then check out the "filler" later.

Last edited:
Top Bottom