• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Where are the platformers?

Odoul

I know it's early but I haven't much at all in the way of platformers for 360 or PS3. The closest I can think of is Kameo. The super violent realistic stuff's going about the way I expected. But I'd love to see what nextgen Ratchet and Clank or Banjo would look like.

I wish Kameo and Conker had switched places personally.

Varian

Only reason I can think of is that platformers won't attract early adopters, glorified racing and FPS tech demos will

AniHawk

Reilly said:
I think it's pretty much given we'll see a R&C, J&D, and Mario game next gen.

R&C = shooter now
Jak stopped being a platformer after the first, turning into a weird hybrid of action and shit.

Besides, ND and Insomniac will prolly sell the franchises and start anew.

I want to see another Sly Cooper! I just finally started getting into it. The levels are short, and so is the game. But whats there is FANTASTIC quality. Id love to see an X360 (yeah right) or a PS3 (more likely) sequel. Maybe with a bit more focus on stealth to, although seriously I feel they could not change the current formula at all, just provide more content... and it would still turn out great.

Tarazet

I hope Double Fine does a platformer next-gen and positions it better in the market.. Psychonauts is one of the best games of this generation, but it has sold far too little.

Reilly

AniHawk said:
R&C = shooter now
Jak stopped being a platformer after the first, turning into a weird hybrid of action and shit.

Well, maybe with the new technology they can expand the series for the better. I think the days of Mario 64 are over. I mean with games like Halo, God of War, and Devil May Cry, developers will want to add some sort of shooting/action element to their game.

Perhaps Sly Cooper will be the only exception if they make one for PS3.

Speevy

Banned
sonarrat said:
I hope Double Fine does a platformer next-gen and positions it better in the market.. Psychonauts is one of the best games of this generation, but it has sold far too little.

You are correct.

Bebpo

Banned
AniHawk said:
R&C = shooter now

Jak II still has more platforming than many platformers. Plus Jak II platforming > Jak I platforming.

AniHawk

Bebpo said:
Jak II still has more platforming than many platformers. Plus Jak II platforming > Jak I platforming.

Jak II had nice platforming, but there were only about three instances that I really remember. The rest was racing, shooting, pretending to be GTA, and pretending to be THPS.

Oracle Dragon said:
I want to see another Sly Cooper! I just finally started getting into it. The levels are short, and so is the game. But whats there is FANTASTIC quality. Id love to see an X360 (yeah right) or a PS3 (more likely) sequel. Maybe with a bit more focus on stealth to, although seriously I feel they could not change the current formula at all, just provide more content... and it would still turn out great.

The first Sly rocked, the second was just ok. I really hope they can improve on the 3rd that is coming out this fall.

Platformers are my fav genre so I hope we see some good stuff early on next gen. I hope ND and Insomniac develop some new platforming franchises, but I would like to see Sly continued. Also, I would love to see another Psychnauts or Oddworld. Of course we'll have our Sonics and Marios (Thanks to the DS in 2D as well as the 3D on the home front. Total sweetness.). What I am really curious about is what platformers are scheduled to be released on the PSP. Are Medieval, Death Jr., and Daxter platformers (Sorry, I haven't read much on 'em yet.)? That reminds me, I'd like to see a Clank game on the PSP as well.

puck1337

sonarrat said:
Psychonauts would have done far better at the beginning of a generation when people are more accepting of new things. I don't think they needed to do anything different other than that.

Mario 128 for Revolution :D

In all honesty though, I think the traditional 3D platformer is a dying breed. I popped in Mario Sunshine after playing a lot of Mario 64 on the DS and was surprised to feel that it felt like a series of minigames other than the mini platform levels. Push watermelons, shoot balloons, etc.

Tarazet

puck1337 said:
Psychonauts would have done far better at the beginning of a generation when people are more accepting of new things. I don't think they needed to do anything different other than that.

Well, personally, just from seeing it on store shelves I had no idea what it was. And from the name, I thought it was just another generic supernatural/stealth/shmup/typical Xbox game. Syphon Filter, Splinter Cell, Psi-Ops, Psychonauts.. it didn't quite click with me. So it wasn't until I saw the video clip on Gamespot that I even knew what it was.

Where are the platformers?

7-taps.jpg

*Taps*

I enjoyed Maximo--both of 'em--more than Jak, Ratchet, Sly, or Mario this gen. I think they both did okay, in the shadow of all the bigger games, so I expect Capcom has the team working on another.

SKOPE

Varian said:
Only reason I can think of is that platformers won't attract early adopters, glorified racing and FPS tech demos will
Unless they have Mario or Sonic in the title.

Top Bottom