• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Where did these online weirdos come from?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tams

I have a PHD!
I bet you do!

toy story cup GIF

p_xavier

Authorized Fister
Reset Era is basically what happened to society at large. Mental illness plus worthless humanities degrees in oppression, marxists infiltrating universities, it's just a big game using guillible people to make sure that the plebe doesn't affect the elite. But playing that game is dangerous, you put at risk of destroying countries and moral fabric.

How accurate this prediction was :

Reset Era is basically what happened to society at large. Mental illness plus worthless humanities degrees in oppression, marxists infiltrating universities, it's just a big game using guillible people to make sure that the plebe doesn't affect the elite. But playing that game is dangerous, you put at risk of destroying countries and moral fabric.

Prediction?... from 10 years ago?

Half of what he says is plain wrong (it is as if he has never been to a European country) and the other half is a transparant and dim whitted bitching about changes that have been occurring in western society for decades.

Divide and rule.... the working class being kept uneducated... this is not the conspiracy of marxists and the mentally ill but how all corrupt / exploitative govts, (any that have had power too long end up self serving) shit on their people to keep a grip on power.

I hate the cancel culture snowflakes but this guy is not a savant, he is a fucking tool.

p_xavier

Authorized Fister
Prediction?... from 10 years ago?

Half of what he says is plain wrong (it is as if he has never been to a European country) and the other half is a transparant and dim whitted bitching about changes that have been occurring in western society for decades.

Divide and rule.... the working class being kept uneducated... this is not the conspiracy of marxists and the mentally ill but how all corrupt / exploitative govts, (any that have had power too long end up self serving) shit on their people to keep a grip on power.

I hate the cancel culture snowflakes but this guy is not a savant, he is a fucking tool.
15, I find he's spot on. It goes into politics but the work done for the exploitative governments is exactly what was put in place in the points to destroy America, identity politics, racism as an heretic word etc.

15, I find he's spot on. It goes into politics but the work done for the exploitative governments is exactly what was put in place in the points to destroy America, identity politics, racism as an heretic word etc.

I hope this is not too political, this a my meandering thoughts on our systems and not party political. Just my views (and I am no expert on America).

It sounds "spot on" if you don't recognise the bullshit (I live in a bilingual country surrounded by bilingual countries, language itself is not divisive). Many cultures surround us and live with us. It is not an automatic threat to our way of life provided you do not treat foreigners differently (ie do not fast track them into social housing or give extra benefits) nor villify them or indeed your own population (labelling people racist) in order to stoke division or silence dissent.

From what I see, most people are not trying to "destroy America" but are complaining about inherent inequality brought about by the ruling class who shockingly complain "they" are the one under attack.

With any decline you will get crazies and virtue pricks moaning along with normal people, but by focusing attention on this abhorrent minority and giving them a megaphone they can divide you and delay the general populations realisation of the true cause of their problems. If successful they can scapegoat someone else entirely.

IMO an increasingly disatisfied people (both of foreign and domestic origin) is a symptom of western elite policy to drive down wages by flooding nations with cheap labour (or outsourcing labour entirely), attacking trade unions to remove the risk the labour market will find a fair price of labour (making earning a decent living increasingly hard or impossible) and a failure to invest in public infrastructure and public services making it sting twice as hard if you fail to earn your way away from the economic and social problems. It is the rot of greed by a few exploiting the many through a rigged system and is a problem as old as civilisation and not unique to America. A big problem is a lack of social mobility and opportunity (the American dream is a fantasy to most).

I think it is perhaps harshest for people working in the USA as you have sacrificed your manufacturing base in order to push an increasingly worthless dollar on the world as reserve currency so your establishment can keep printing themselves more money (another huge theft from the population) to the detriment of hard working families.

In my view, the best way to fix this is in USA (and also UK) is to remove your tired old elites from power, resolve your flawed currency (stop printing and back it with gold or other scarce asset), and start a capitalist type revolution that brings back market forces and price discovery (including in working class wages).

You had a good system once but it got fucked up by greed and tampering - as happens to most countries.

These crazy idiologies are a symptom of entropy and not the cause imo.

Last edited:

Mistake

A lot of points were already covered, but I should add that people like to abuse terms of service as a power trip, and a good portion of the planet doesn’t have free speech

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member

In a way that's big bonus to people who are normal and go after whatever career they want by letting those weird people fester among themselves.

Although the media makes it look like weird people are taking over they aren't. Maybe in certain industries they love hiring odd people (tech seems to love it), but in most companies they dont.

So those weird people will always struggle to find a career unless they get lucky hooking into one that is gunning for progressive politics as part of their workforce.

Most places that have decent level jobs expect a certain amount of professionalism (looks and personality). Ok, maybe if Walmart is begging for seasonal workers they dont care if someone is odd and blue hair, but for most places you wont make it past the first screener interview.

I had a fun discussion about this with my buddy whos high up at a bank and I even suggested what if you got an awesome candidate but looks odd with tattoos and face piercings? He laughed and said no chance he'd get anything there no matter how smart the guy is. He's like "imagine the CEO is in a big meeting with this guy who looks like from a horror flick". And laughed.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
I went to Instagram and decided to take a look at their video reel. I saw a trend.

- Videos of people drawing way too much attention to themselves.
- Videos of minors being seductive. This is creepier than anything else just because who watches this or who wants to watch this?
- Videos of richer goods, vacation spots, and luxurious getaways with background music.

All of this streams over and over again. Someone could look at this stuff all day long if they wanted to. It makes me think that if someone looks at this all day long and then they have to go back to their own life. That they’re going to be coming off some sorta stimulated high. It isn’t fiction or science fiction either. It isn’t a bunch of 1’s and 0’s moving around. It’s like a big crash after the high wears off.

If you ask me social media pushes the kids to make videos of themselves being celebrities that they obviously aren’t. It makes people jealous of one another because they aren’t living the same life. It gives you insight into essentially nothing. It gave me a headache when I exited the app.

We already have mental illness as a global problem and giving them a platform like the internet doesn’t help that problem. I don’t feel like I get anything back from Instagram or TikTok. It’s showing me stuff that doesn’t exactly motivate me or something I should be watching in the first place.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
I went to Instagram and decided to take a look at their video reel. I saw a trend.

- Videos of people drawing way too much attention to themselves.
- Videos of minors being seductive. This is creepier than anything else just because who watches this or who wants to watch this?
- Videos of richer goods, vacation spots, and luxurious getaways with background music.

All of this streams over and over again. Someone could look at this stuff all day long if they wanted to. It makes me think that if someone looks at this all day long and then they have to go back to their own life. That they’re going to be coming off some sorta stimulated high. It isn’t fiction or science fiction either. It isn’t a bunch of 1’s and 0’s moving around. It’s like a big crash after the high wears off.

If you ask me social media pushes the kids to make videos of themselves being celebrities that they obviously aren’t. It makes people jealous of one another because they aren’t living the same life. It gives you insight into essentially nothing. It gave me a headache when I exited the app.

We already have mental illness as a global problem and giving them a platform like the internet doesn’t help that problem. I don’t feel like I get anything back from Instagram or TikTok. It’s showing me stuff that doesn’t exactly motivate me or something I should be watching in the first place.
100%.

To me the big difference between social media and old school media is twofold:

1. Social media of course is giant and spreads everywhere fast

2. You got a person associated with it making the video

If this was before the net, anyone could read magazines or watch tv shows about rich people, mansions, awesome cars, slick vacation spots around the world etc..... However these either werent associated with any specific person or it was about a rich and famous celeb who is already in their own universe. So even though everyone saw these awesome things compared to their shitty life, nobody cared.

But now (as you said), anyone could make these videos where every one of them tries to make it seem like their life is the coolest ever, when in reality half of them are probably fuck ups. I can go to my FB or Linkedin accounts right now and find nice look pics of friends. Looks like a good person and great family according to pics. Yet a bunch of them went through messy divorces and share child custody. You'll never see that on FB. Unless you know the person well, you wouldn't even know they split up.

Just look at that social media couple killed not long ago. If you go strictly by their pics of them driving around the country, they look like the happiest care free couple ever. Turns out the guy is a nutcase and killed her and killed himself.

Last edited:

The_hunter

Mainstream adoption of the internet and smartphones. Ten years ago not everyone used the internet, now everyone uses the internet. I also blame the monitization of the internet, patreon, youtube, onlyfans. Less people tend to do things because of genuine interest or as a hobby, and more do it as a career.

Everyone is connected to the internet, so major forums or social media tend to be a place where people dump their IRL frustrations. I don't remember people being so angry over literally everything, even in a hobby space such as gaming. You only really saw that on facebook in the mid 2010's.

I went to an old youtube video of mine from 10 years ago and the comments were all positive and people talking about the games and being encouraging, you don't see it really anymore.

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended
Some of y'all are attacking the symptoms... 6502 6502 and another were attacking the root causes... That goes beyond "those people are mentally ill and I'm of course talking about the liberals and university elites! I'm going to ignore the others who are dividing this country and blame it all on those libs... "

That's what it sounds like to me, at least. Sure a lot of those who describe themselves as liberals or progressives have some crazy contingents but so do those who call themselves conservatives. Neither side of the crazy aisle are representative of the whole of their side.

As I said... There's crazies of all ideologies and until we get our heads out of our anuses and recognize what the ROOT causes of all these ailments are, we'll never get anywhere.

They have always been here. Primarily made up of lost young people, and wasted life older people.

The real issue is that the adults have stopped telling them ’no’.

p_xavier

Authorized Fister
I had a fun discussion about this with my buddy whos high up at a bank and I even suggested what if you got an awesome candidate but looks odd with tattoos and face piercings? He laughed and said no chance he'd get anything there no matter how smart the guy is. He's like "imagine the CEO is in a big meeting with this guy who looks like from a horror flick". And laughed.
Ah, I'm full of tattoos and piercings and my boss has many too. Depends on how you pull it off I guess. I usually remove my septum at work though my arm tattoo sleeve shows.

Last edited:

p_xavier

Authorized Fister
I hope this is not too political, this a my meandering thoughts on our systems and not party political. Just my views (and I am no expert on America).

It sounds "spot on" if you don't recognise the bullshit (I live in a bilingual country surrounded by bilingual countries, language itself is not divisive). Many cultures surround us and live with us. It is not an automatic threat to our way of life provided you do not treat foreigners differently (ie do not fast track them into social housing or give extra benefits) nor villify them or indeed your own population (labelling people racist) in order to stoke division or silence dissent.

From what I see, most people are not trying to "destroy America" but are complaining about inherent inequality brought about by the ruling class who shockingly complain "they" are the one under attack.

With any decline you will get crazies and virtue pricks moaning along with normal people, but by focusing attention on this abhorrent minority and giving them a megaphone they can divide you and delay the general populations realisation of the true cause of their problems. If successful they can scapegoat someone else entirely.

IMO an increasingly disatisfied people (both of foreign and domestic origin) is a symptom of western elite policy to drive down wages by flooding nations with cheap labour (or outsourcing labour entirely), attacking trade unions to remove the risk the labour market will find a fair price of labour (making earning a decent living increasingly hard or impossible) and a failure to invest in public infrastructure and public services making it sting twice as hard if you fail to earn your way away from the economic and social problems. It is the rot of greed by a few exploiting the many through a rigged system and is a problem as old as civilisation and not unique to America. A big problem is a lack of social mobility and opportunity (the American dream is a fantasy to most).

I think it is perhaps harshest for people working in the USA as you have sacrificed your manufacturing base in order to push an increasingly worthless dollar on the world as reserve currency so your establishment can keep printing themselves more money (another huge theft from the population) to the detriment of hard working families.

In my view, the best way to fix this is in USA (and also UK) is to remove your tired old elites from power, resolve your flawed currency (stop printing and back it with gold or other scarce asset), and start a capitalist type revolution that brings back market forces and price discovery (including in working class wages).

You had a good system once but it got fucked up by greed and tampering - as happens to most countries.

Great take but I live in Canada and I see it every day how multiculturalism make ghettos and how Francophones and Anglophones basically live like two foreign nations that don't care about each other. Belgium is the best example of two nations hating esch other but the statu quo is still there.

I agree about your view on elite power structures.

Last edited:

RAÏSanÏa

Great take but I live in Canada and I see it every day how multiculturalism make ghettos and how Francophones and Anglophones basically live like two foreign nations that don't care about each other. Belgium is the best example of two nations hating esch other but the statu quo is still there.

How does multiculturalism create ghettos? That isn't my experience in BC. Maybe the problem is provincial management. There is a problem with how housing development is handled at various levels of government, but that isn't a product of multiculturalism.

Puncheur

Shot

This is so spot on. I myself am at the demoralised stage. I am completly resigned to the idiots taking control in the short medium term. The rot is in every public institution here in the UK.
Can you believe that we live in a society where it is now offensive to describe what a woman is! I have read reports of doctors being uneasy of announcing the sex of a baby at birth for fear of causung offence! The police arrest gender theoy critical feminists for posting biological fact on twitter.
We live in a fantasy world where feelings and 'lived experience' are overwhelming fact and reality.
The only hope is Islam will slowly take over. I say this seriously.
Social media is the worst thing to have happened to the west, permanently outraged cretins now have a megaphone and the ability to unite, and news media amplifies them as journalism has debasd itself to being nothing more than reporting on what's trending on twitter.
I'm deeply cynical and pessimistic about where we're headed.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member

How does multiculturalism create ghettos? That isn't my experience in BC. Maybe the problem is provincial management. There is a problem with how housing development is handled at various levels of government, but that isn't a product of multiculturalism.
I don't know anything about Belgium, so I cant comment on that country.

Living in Toronto GTA, multiculturalism creates areas that skew to certain demographics. I'm no Vancouver expert, but been there enough to see and know an area like Richmond is heavy in Chinese and Surrey is heavy in Indian. Toronto is the same. Markham and Scarborough is heavy Chinese, Brampton is heavy Indian. The further you go away from the core (and closer you are to Lake Ontario), the higher it skews to White people. Drive half an hour away from downtown and it's probably 95% White people. Any area that has water involved (Lake Ontario, cottage country, or small residential areas near camping and skiing resorts) always seems skewed to White people.

The ghetto parts in Toronto focus heavy on Jane/Finch area, and it seems Chinatown downtown is forever dingy. But then go to Asian areas in Markham and it's decent like your usual suburban strip mall kind of vibe (like Richmond BC). It seems no matter which Canadian city I go to and walk around the main Chinatown hub, it's always grimy. Vancouver and Montreal included. Not sure what American Chinatowns are like.

As for English vs French in Canada, I dont think they hate each other. Just the language laws. English hate how Quebec prioritizes French over English, and French hate how English has naturally taken over the globe so they feel threatened French culture will disappear. Go to any main city in any country and you can probably get by with English so they got a point. English is such a dominant language, I'd bet any money an English speaking person in a foreign country would try to push his English to get by and probably make do vs. learning the local language a bit. While there is no way in hell a foreigner would get a similar response by trying to get by in Japanese hoping the English locals would know or care enough to adjust.

GTA has a good sense of housing development. Not in terms of quantity as we have a shortage here driving up prices. But in terms of not having trashy ghetto neighbourhoods like you see in the US where you can get blocks of desolate areas which looks like hardly anyone even lives there. The city is smart enough to spread out low income apartments (handled by gov) so it's not concentrated. Concentration is what makes a ghetto. The buildings wont look like snazzy condos, but they can look totally fine like an average apartment building. Some of them you wouldnt even tell. One of them is near my parent's slick neighbourhood a few blocks away. Driving by it, you'd never know it's a low income unit.

Last edited:

RAÏSanÏa

I don't know anything about Belgium, so I cant comment on that country.

Living in Toronto GTA, multiculturalism creates areas that skew to certain demographics. I'm no Vancouver expert, but been there enough to see and know an area like Richmond is heavy in Chinese and Surrey is heavy in Indian. Toronto is the same. Markham and Scarborough is heavy Chinese, Brampton is heavy Indian. The further you go away from the core (and closer you are to Lake Ontario), the higher it skews to White people. Drive half an hour away from downtown and it's probably 95% White people. Any area that has water involved (Lake Ontario, cottage country, or small residential areas near camping and skiing resorts) always seems skewed to White people.

The ghetto parts in Toronto focus heavy on Jane/Finch area, and it seems Chinatown downtown is forever dingy. But then go to Asian areas in Markham and it's decent like your usual suburban strip mall kind of vibe (like Richmond BC). It seems no matter which Canadian city I go to and walk around the main Chinatown hub, it's always grimy. Vancouver and Montreal included. Not sure what American Chinatowns are like.
Surrey and Richmond are hardly ghettos, although they do have their problems like all urban areas. Many of older Chinatowns have historical foundations with segregation, exploitation and addiction from the early days. Although the early Chinatowns seemed more about segregation, later when multiculturalism was adopted conditions improved in some of these areas. Where areas haven't improved there are many other entrenched problems than the neighborhoods being Chinese.

Last edited:

Cattlyst

Fascinating discussion. I remember the world before everyone had internet access in their pockets. I may be wearing rose tinted spectacles, but I don’t recall this constant background hum of outrage/hysteria permeating all of existence back then. It’s now like most people are constantly trying to be the next sensation or break the next big scandal for their shot at internet fame. It’s all gone wrong. Someone mentioned this earlier but I really feel for younger folks who were born into this craziness, never not having social media and the negativity it brings with it.

The first cancel culture incident I was confronted with was r/the_donald which banned everyone who didn't shill for Trump. 🤷‍♂️ I agree that debate on the internet is pretty dead. Every place is an echo chamber because it's so much more pleasant to have an environment that reinforces your beliefs. At the end of the day, most people don't enjoy confrontation and they sure as fuck don't enjoy having their views challenged and I doubt many of you guys are an exception to be frank. Personally, I've unsubbed from almost all circlejerky subreddits and communities that I was a part of, but whenever I enter hostile territory, I'm basically instantly classified as a troll or whatever, because it's so unfathomable that someone would actually enjoy fighting on the internet. I cannot stand communities that agree with me.

Scotty W

Gold Member
This is so spot on. I myself am at the demoralised stage. I am completly resigned to the idiots taking control in the short medium term. The rot is in every public institution here in the UK.
Can you believe that we live in a society where it is now offensive to describe what a woman is! I have read reports of doctors being uneasy of announcing the sex of a baby at birth for fear of causung offence! The police arrest gender theoy critical feminists for posting biological fact on twitter.
We live in a fantasy world where feelings and 'lived experience' are overwhelming fact and reality.
The only hope is Islam will slowly take over. I say this seriously.
Social media is the worst thing to have happened to the west, permanently outraged cretins now have a megaphone and the ability to unite, and news media amplifies them as journalism has debasd itself to being nothing more than reporting on what's trending on twitter.
I'm deeply cynical and pessimistic about where we're headed.
I don’t think Islam could solve or improve this mess. Just like liberalism and Christianity it too is susceptible to Marxist heresies.

I think the feeling of chaos gives rise to an intense desire for order, which is often an overcompensation. Naziism, as well as Japanese and Italian fascism were in large part reactions to chaos caused by communism. But clearly, they end up creating their own brand of chaos.

A reaction to this chaos is coming.

I believe what you say about gender in the uk. In Canada, if a child wants to transition, and you do anything other than affirm their gender, you can go to prison. This is the wedge that effectively overthrows free speech, by the way.

I am hopeful that if the Trudeau government collapses, the conservatives will defund our mass media. But even then, we have an entire generation of kids who are just fucking wrecked, allergic to critical thinking in an emotional death spiral.

I think, love him or hate him, Jordan Peterson has some good advice: “The most dangerous thing you can do is be useful.”

Regarding what you say about “lived experience” James Lindsay makes the killer observation that your lived experience is just an interpretation. I would recommend checking out his youtube channel called New Discourses.

In addition, there are a huge number of Thomas Sowell books on youtube which are a very potent antidote to decades of Leftist propaganda. Check out Cultures and Conquests.

Ultimately, though, I have no idea what to say about social media.

While I agree with you about how the elites use their power to secure and enhance inequality, I don't think this can be the cause of the current 'online weirdos' that we're talking about.

I live in the UK so I'm mainly going to talk about that but I think the assessment works in other countries as well, most notably the US.

In the late 1800s working class people frequently lived in a state of absolute destitution. There was widespread child labour and pregnant women often had to work in coal mines and factories. As a result, many of them gave birth while at work causing their babies to die almost instantly. This lowered the average life expectancy to around 18 in many industrial towns and cities. We also had work houses which were effectively concentration camps for the poor. Disease was widespread and the Thames was an open sewer. People would defecate in buckets and throw it out of their windows. It was illegal for a man to have consensual sex with another man but legal for him to rape his wife. The age of consent was 13. Britain still had an empire and the First World War was on the horizon.

Conditions were clearly far worse than they are today and yet the movements that grew up to resist the situation were far more rational, stoic and noble.

Feminists fought for votes for women and the right for women to testify against their husbands in court. They did not scream and cry because a video game character had body armor they didn't approve of.

Gay men fought to have their sexuality decriminalised and LGB people campaigned to stop their preferences being classified as a mental illness. There was no widespread LGBTQIA2++ movement trying to get children to take hormones or pressuring lesbians to suck lady dick.

The Labour Party and the trades union movement achieved better conditions for working class people and built the NHS. They did not claim that a man can have a uterus or that flying the Union Flag is literally fascism.

In short, I can't agree that what we see now is a symptom of the problems that the UK / Western World has to deal with today.

As a side note, I do agree with you and DeafTourette DeafTourette that there are plenty of online crazies on the right (QAnnon, Bill Gates invented covid, English Defense League, microscopic increase in taxes = LITERALLY COMMUNISM!!!1!!!!11!, etc.) but they seem to make up a far bigger proportion of the left than they do of the right. They are also far more keen to silence anyone who disagrees with them.

RAÏSanÏa

I believe what you say about gender in the uk. In Canada, if a child wants to transition, and you do anything other than affirm their gender, you can go to prison. This is the wedge that effectively overthrows free speech, by the way.
Has a human rights tribunal ever imprisoned someone in Canada?

am hopeful that if the Trudeau government collapses, the conservatives will defund our mass media. But even then, we have an entire generation of kids who are just fucking wrecked, allergic to critical thinking in an emotional death spiral.
Corporate news is more easily manipulated.

On the subject of gender laws, here's an informative article by Canadian government funded news that can be used for critical thinking regarding many aspects of your post.

The bill sparked a national debate, but actually brought federal laws up to date with already-established provincial human rights code

There was a recent case in BC where there was a fine levied.

Last edited:

Scotty W

Gold Member
Has a human rights tribunal ever imprisoned someone in Canada?

Yes

Corporate news is more easily manipulated having a lack of oversight for objectivity.

Corporate news in Canada is broken. Literally 99% of journalists have taken money from the federal government.

RAÏSanÏa

Yes

Corporate news in Canada is broken. Literally 99% of journalists have taken money from the federal government.

That was for violating a publication ban regarding a minor, not a human rights violation.

And Rebel news seems to service the source of the money it gets.

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Surrey and Richmond are hardly ghettos, although they do have their problems like all urban areas. Many of older Chinatowns have historical foundations with segregation, exploitation and addiction from the early days. Although the early Chinatowns seemed more about segregation, later when multiculturalism was adopted conditions improved in some of these areas. Where areas haven't improved there are many other entrenched problems than the neighborhoods being Chinese.
Never said they were ghettos. Just saying demographics often skew together. And whatever comes out of it may be ghetto-ish.

I don't really believe Chinatowns being slummy due to the points you made as that kind of stuff was eons ago. As you know Richmond BC and Markham ON are very similar that they are both heavy in Asians, but those places are nice suburb stores and restaurants. Clean. While downtown Chinatowns always seem dusty and dirty.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom