• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Where do we go from here PlayStation Nation?

Where do we go? I'm going to Horizon Forbidden West in February, that's where I'm going. People need to relax and play the games.

Tired Dj Khaled GIF by TikTok

God of War Ragnarok towards the end of this year as well :)

tommib

Where do we go? I'm going to Horizon Forbidden West in February, that's where I'm going. People need to relax and play the games.

Word.

I do think Sony is fucked in the future but this is going to be a glorious year with Elden Ring and GT7.

Let’s enjoy the goodness, Ponyland!

Last edited:

vpance

This should light a fire under Sony's ass. If it's by striking back with acquisitions of their own then they better be interesting ones. Buying Ubi or whatever would be meh.

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member

God of War Ragnarok towards the end of this year as well :)
And GT7

PS will be fine and if something goes to one platform either join or miss out, I personally am a gamer and will play anywhere the games are that I enjoy

Nitty_Grimes

Made a crappy phPBB forum once ... once.
I am sad kretos and bryank didnt live to see this travesty. Imagine the meltdowns.

TBH, I havent seen a single meltdown yet. Or even a big gloat post from team xbox. Everyone has reacted way too adult about this and I hate it.
There’s been a couple of deleted threads.

Neo_game

Yeah, no, that's utter nonsense. Respectfully, of course.
The situation as we stand: With this one move, any dream Sony may have had to ever be to the top dog again is dead...burried for good!
Now, the focus for them would be...well, to survive. To stay viable and make money. They need to acquire at least Square and Capcom, imo...Not to get back at MS, because the Activision deal dwarves them, but to make sure they do not get acquired by Satya...That would be the final blow. Sony may have to shell out 20 billions, sucks for them, but they will have to get that deal sealed.
In the absence of the possibility to do so, go for Capcom and Kadokawa...Anything less and Sony turns to.publishing instead.
Not a fan of either condolidation, or streaming, but this is the beginning of a new age.

I know what you mean. But I am not sure Microsoft is interested in Japanese devs and may be Government of Japan have some restriction on western companies ? SO those games will be on PS5 anyways.

Many here probably do not rate COD much but after 2023 since they cannot bundle PS5 with it they need to consider some other shooter as replacement. The best thing to do is hire best minds from from IW, Sledgehammer, may be Dice etc and build their own team to make FPS games.

Aranea

I play games on multiple platforms so a couple of IP's going exclusive to certain platforms doesn't affect me. That said perhaps this is a wake up call to Sony for some of the weird decisions they have made over the course of the past years. Begin by being less restrictive with Japanese devs as many of them have gone to the Switch due to those censorship policy, Sony begun implementing after moving to California. Continue to create more first party titles and try to keep the huge third party developers happy such as Square Enix, Capcom just to name a few.

Microsoft obviously won't stop here from the looks of it but again it doesn't affect me as i don't play on just one platform.

Elog

For the first time in ages MS and Sony will actually compete properly with each other. Prior to this MS was not even close (regardless of what some people stated). I actually find this interesting - prior to this Sony had close to monopoly on having the best games together with Nintendo.

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
This should light a fire under Sony's ass. If it's by striking back with acquisitions of their own then they better be interesting ones. Buying Ubi or whatever would be meh.
They need to simply announce a big $1 billion investment in their first party studios.

Make THREE Naughty Dog teams. Go on a hiring spree. 500 people each. They are based out of LA. EVERYONE is in LA. Respawn, Infinity Ward, Crystal Dynamics, Insomniac, Sony Santa Monica. It really shouldnt be too hard to poach talent from local companies. Enough with this preserving studio culture nonsense. This is not a mom and pop shop anymore. it's literally a billion dollar business.

Activision has three studios making cod every 3 years resulting in a new cod with MP, COOP and SP every single year. That is what Naughty Dog, SSM, Insomniac, GG and Sucker Punch should all be doing. 3 teams, all on 3 year cycles. 500 people each. 5 AAA exclusives a year. I dont ever want to hear how Sucker Punch and Sony Bend made their games in 6 years because they only had 100 employees.

Ubisoft and Activision have had 1000 man teams for over a decade now. Thats what it takes. Thats why they became a $70 billion company. You have to invest in talent. One game every five years like what PD, GG, Sucker Punch, Sony Bend and SSM are doing is ridiculously incompetent.

RJMacready73

Simps for Amouranth
tbh all the games i really want to play are on the Sony, apart from Elder Scrolls 6 & Starfield, i've no interest in anything from Acti/Blizz as my wow playing days are long over but there's no denying that a lot of casuals out there love themselves some COD and when it goes exclusive to Xbox you could see quite a number of Sony fans buying up 2nd boxes just to play it.. smart move tbh but for me personally, i prefer the output of Sonys 1st party devs over any other dev out there

Kiraly

Nintendo relying on first party works because their pipeline consists of a lot of relatively cheaper productions that are able to pad out a calendar. Obviously those kinds of games are not what PlayStation customers seek and it's impossible for Sony to sustain a similar reliance on first party when its customers expect multi-million dollar productions.

HTK

Banned
Well I have a PC and PlayStation so I guess I'll remain on PC and PlayStation, however I need to upgrade my PC and hardware is still in shambles with pricing. :(

RJMacready73

Simps for Amouranth
They need to simply announce a big $1 billion investment in their first party studios.

Make THREE Naughty Dog teams. Go on a hiring spree. 500 people each. They are based out of LA. EVERYONE is in LA. Respawn, Infinity Ward, Crystal Dynamics, Insomniac, Sony Santa Monica. It really shouldnt be too hard to poach talent from local companies. Enough with this preserving studio culture nonsense. This is not a mom and pop shop anymore. it's literally a billion dollar business.

Activision has three studios making cod every 3 years resulting in a new cod with MP, COOP and SP every single year. That is what Naughty Dog, SSM, Insomniac, GG and Sucker Punch should all be doing. 3 teams, all on 3 year cycles. 500 people each. 5 AAA exclusives a year. I dont ever want to hear how Sucker Punch and Sony Bend made their games in 6 years because they only had 100 employees.

Ubisoft and Activision have had 1000 man teams for over a decade now. Thats what it takes. Thats why they became a $70 billion company. You have to invest in talent. One game every five years like what PD, GG, Sucker Punch, Sony Bend and SSM are doing is ridiculously incompetent.
this man business's

We're fucked lads. At this point nothing is off the table. EA, Take-Two, Square, Sega, hell even Nintendo probably isn't safe.

I've done my best to support Jim through these difficult times but It's clear Uncle Phil isn't just out for blood. I refuse to be in the cross-fire. It's time for me to retire from the PlayStation Nation

Godspeed
Still needs to get past all the regulatory bodies, aka make sure this isn't a monopoly move. But something tells me this will be approved. I think the regulators don't view the purely video game makers the same as the hardware & video game makers. As long as MS doesn't try to pick up Sony/Playstation or Nintendo, I don't think they'll consider it a monopoly move. But... I think another purchase of one of those listed will start raising eyebrows like "hey, wait a minute..."

Like Xbox, never liked Microsoft as a company. Never liked their business practices. (Yes, you can like one and not the other. I like PS, but I think Sony runs their other "arms" like crap)

I wonder what part this purchase will play in the metaverse 🤔 Everyone seems to be going in hard rn

Last edited:

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
The obvious answer is GTA 6 exclusivity. ... Take Two more specifically

They need to bite the bullet and get that shit done somehow.

Other than that,

- Triple down on your coziness with Marvel Games, get more Marvel IPs. Spiderman and Wolvering is huge, get Thor, Punisher, etc.
- Keep buying Insomniac style studios, have them pump out more quality games like Insomniac
- Make your current studios much bigger. Beef up Santa Monica, Naughty Dog, etc

- Sell Playstation entirely to Apple, buy EA, Nintendo, etc :messenger_grinning_sweat:

Last edited:
Well the Activision situation just gives me more justification to buy a gaming PC.

ISoon MS will buy CD Projekt Red and FromSoftware. That's it then. Playstation will be just first and second party machine.

Banjo64

cumsessed
Nintendo relying on first party works because their pipeline consists of a lot of relatively cheaper productions that are able to pad out a calendar. Obviously those kinds of games are not what PlayStation customers seek and it's impossible for Sony to sustain a similar reliance on first party when its customers expect multi-million dollar productions.
The thing is though is that people loved Sony’s ‘cheaper productions’ - games like Puppeteer, ICO, Journey - they should have backed/invested in those studios to the hilt.

SlimySnake

The obvious answer is GTA 6 exclusivity. ... Take Two more specifically

They need to bite the bullet and get that shit done somehow.

Other than that,

- Triple down on your coziness with Marvel Games, get more Marvel IPs. Spiderman and Wolvering is huge, get Thor, Punisher, etc.
- Keep buying Insomniac style studios, have them pump out more quality games like Insomniac
- Make your current studios much bigger. Beef up Santa Monica, Naughty Dog, etc

- Sell Playstation entirely to Apple, buy EA, Nintendo, etc :messenger_grinning_sweat:
They cant outbid MS.

And Rockstar hasnt released a GTA game in 9 years. They wont be ready until 2025 at the latest. Really not worth spending a half a billion or more on one game every 10 years when CoD wouldve come out with 10 games in the same time span.

I like your other three suggestions.

Elios83

It's a huge acquisition that obviously is going to change the playing field.
Not that I'm a fan of the trend of huge companies becoming more and more dominant leaving little space to alternatives.
Whenever that happens in the long run consumers have lost with poor options and high prices.

I think that Sony will act on two fronts, one is consolidating on their own so that they can continue to stay a strong viable option, Nintendo has no COD and they're dominanting the market atm. But they can't just continue buying small studios that they trust in this climate.
They will need to open their pockets and secure smaller publishers they believe are truly important to them. They can't afford 70 billions probably but they totally could afford Square, Capcom, From Software.
The second front is that eventually they'll start looking into partnerships with Microsoft on certain things so they'll start making deals to not lose certain key games. These companies are not run by fanboys but people looking at business opportunities. See the cloud deal between them that no one expected.
It will be interesting to see the strategies and reactions from all players involved in the industry.

Last edited:

Loxus

Maybe that Sony to buy Take-Two rumour back in 2019 may resurface again.

Though, not possible.
I can see that deal finally being finalized this year after being delayed by Covid.

Even though denied by both Sony and Take-Two. Sony buying Take-Two is a good idea I can think as to why Microsoft would drop 70 billion on Gaming.

leo-j

Can Sony buy take two? Or square enix? They need to get this to happen. If Microsoft makes call of duty exclusive that will wipe out a huge part of PlayStation’s gaming base.

OverHeat

« generous god »

Though, not possible.
I can see that deal finally being finalized this year after being delayed by Covid.

Even though denied by both Sony and Take-Two. Sony buying Take-Two is a good idea I can think as to why Microsoft would drop 70 billion on Gaming.
MS would just out bid them.

vpance

If Microsoft gets its hands on Capcom, Squaresoft or From software, I'll say Sony is in big, big trouble.

Though, not possible.

People say they can't fight fire with fire vs MS in acquisitions, but at the same time if they don't even try then MS is free to slowly gobble up more and more pubs over the next couple years. It's like a very necessary defensive move at this point.

I am sad kretos and bryank didnt live to see this travesty. Imagine the meltdowns.

TBH, I havent seen a single meltdown yet. Or even a big gloat post from team xbox. Everyone has reacted way too adult about this and I hate it.
Maybe people just don't care that much anymore. The industry is changing so fast all the time that it's just "been there, done that" by now.

Twitter is the usual cesspool but in general forums are being civilized about this.

Plus, in the end, people play games...not acquisitions. Sony may or not react but meanwhile, they will keep releasing their games.

That said...i wouldn't like to be Jim today...i can only imagine all the meetings are Sony today, lmao.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
MS will surely decrease Activision support long term on PS systems. Just a matter of which games and when.

So to make up for lost sales, it'll make Sony either buy EA or T2. Or release more PC ports for fast sales.

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member

No reason to gloat because most xbox gamers dont really care. And gamers as a whole are smart enough to know whether it's bethesda or Activision, you can always game on PC anyway. So there's always a back up option if someone isnt an Xbox gamer. And since these games dont come out to Nintendo systems except for maybe a crappy 3 year old port, I dont think the average Switch gamer cares at all.

It's not like Minecraft or Bethesda game support was dropped off from Nintendo or PS systems, so it shows whatever is existing Microsoft will still keep it humming. I dont see existing Activision games dropping off from other platforms either any time soon.

The biggest cheering is probably from GP subbers because these Activision games will probably shift over at some point like Bethesda games. But for any traditional gamers who always buy discs or digital copies, why would they give a fuck if some subbers get it in the future? They never cared about GP subbers getting games before, so I dont see why they'd suddenly care today because it's Activision.

SlimySnake

Maybe people just don't care that much anymore. The industry is changing so fast all the time that it's just "been there, done that" by now.

Twitter is the usual cesspool but in general forums are being civilized about this.

Plus, in the end, people play games...not acquisitions. Sony may or not react but meanwhile, they will keep releasing their games.

That said...i wouldn't like to be Jim today...i can only imagine all the meetings are Sony today, lmao.
Yeah I feel kind of numb to it too. Bethesda was a shock to the system, but I did expect more acquisitions after Zenimax. Back then, I am pretty sure I got myself banned from era for suggesting MS buy Take2 or Activision in a thread about who they should buy next. I said something else that triggered a bunch of people that I wont repeat here lmao but everyone was on edge back then so I dont blame them for reporting me enmasse.

I have zero sympathy for Jim. It was reported he forced Phil's hand because after Deathloop, FF7, FF16, Forspoken and Ghostwire tokyo, he was trying to go get Starfield as a timed exclusive. I think it was Imran Khan from Gamespot. Jim shouldve been doubling down on his amazing first party that won 3 consecutive GOTY awards from 2018-2020 but he instead wasted money on buying timed exclusives.

KAL2006

Banned
I'm leaning into going PC now. I'm still not going to make big decisions yet especially with chip shortage and PC prices. I will continue to finish off my PS5/4 backlog without making any digital purchases. Once the big Xbox exclusive drop which will take a while the I will transition into PC and sell off my PS5. Hopefully by then we get a better idea of PS games coming to PC even if it's 2 year time exclusive to PS5 I don't mind, as well as being able to get a gaming PC that's at least no more than £1k.

KAL2006

Banned

Very true and no matter how popular God of War and Uncharted are. Nothing is big as Pokémon and Mario.

Airbus Jr

Banned
I already say this but i will repeat it again

The best aproach for sony for this is by making more first party studio

Nintendo aswell

Also slight adjustment need to be done there into Playstation and Nintendo cos both are affected by this Xbox monopoly

Ps rellied to much on cod its time to make their own fps game bring killzone amd resistance back

Be creative

Last edited:
Top Bottom