• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Where do we go from here PlayStation Nation?

to the hardcore like us, it wont matter much because we hate call of duty right? when was the last time any of you guys played call of duty? microsoft will gain millions of customers from this move though.there are millions of casuals who buy a playstation just to play call of duty. sony will lose all of them if microsoft make it exclusive to xbox in the future but personally how does it really affect any of you who havent played call of dty since the ps3 days?

Last edited:
Yeah I feel kind of numb to it too. Bethesda was a shock to the system, but I did expect more acquisitions after Zenimax. Back then, I am pretty sure I got myself banned from era for suggesting MS buy Take2 or Activision in a thread about who they should buy next. I said something else that triggered a bunch of people that I wont repeat here lmao but everyone was on edge back then so I dont blame them for reporting me enmasse.

I have zero sympathy for Jim. It was reported he forced Phil's hand because after Deathloop, FF7, FF16, Forspoken and Ghostwire tokyo, he was trying to go get Starfield as a timed exclusive. I think it was Imran Khan from Gamespot. Jim shouldve been doubling down on his amazing first party that won 3 consecutive GOTY awards from 2018-2020 but he instead wasted money on buying timed exclusives.
The thing is...MS now has like 30 studios if not more...Sony has like 17 and some of these are support studios.

With all this shock of "omg they will lose COD" i didn't even think about this fact.

At the end of the day this is the reality:

Xbox:

Xbox-Game-Studios-1024x694.jpg

Sony:

sony-revela-que-17-subsidiarias-da-playstation-studios-estao-trabalhando-em-jogos-para-ps5-ps4-e-ps-vr-2-065231.webp

I mean...it's kinda sad really.

Last edited:

ANIMAL1975

We're fucked lads. At this point nothing is off the table. EA, Take-Two, Square, Sega, hell even Nintendo probably isn't safe.

I've done my best to support Jim through these difficult times but It's clear Uncle Phil isn't just out for blood. I refuse to be in the cross-fire. It's time for me to retire from the PlayStation Nation

Godspeed

awkward bro hug GIF

Good Bye bro Ass...

What the fuck is up with this sub? Playstation Nation is fine, relax. lol jesus no one died.
No one died but.... something inside dies a little bro.

Last edited:

Banjo64

cumsessed
to the hardcore like us, it wont matter much because we hate call of duty right? when was the last time any of you guys played call of duty?
I think their whole company is trash to be honest. I’d probably dabble with a game or 2 of CoD when they hit Game Pass day one, but that’s it. The best thing about Acti was Toys For Bob and Vicarious Visions and they fucking killed both studios. Twats.

Will be nice to get the back catalogue on Game Pass though; Modern Warfare trilogy, Spyro, Crash, Crash 4, Crash racing, Tony Hawks, Diablo etc. I’d play some of that stuff.

Airbus Jr

Banned
lol I stopped being a PS fan a long time ago so this only pleases me. Feel bad for my fellow blue rats though. You guys have had a rough few years.

Hopefully this will light a fire under Sony's ass and they will go back to the PS3 era Sony and just focus on creating the best next gen games possible. I was only a casual Sony fan in the PS2 era but once I saw Uncharted, KZ2, Infamous and GOW3 running on the PS3, I became a full air-conditioner.

So there is hope, but Jimbo has to go. Releasing three cross gen games this year, no next gen only first party games, and only 1 next year is NOT the way to win hearts and minds, let alone wars against Microsoft. Hopefully, this brings about a shakeup at Sony.
Sorry but why are you attacking sony here

Sony or Nintendo have no answer to this ( Microsoft big money)

They cant do anything about this

Last edited:

Boglin

I think people have been seemingly more mature because this news is simply too big for their biases to slant. It is what it is.

ByWatterson

They have to attempt a big purchase, no doubt. The smartest move would be EA, so as to maintain dominance in Europe with soccer games.

But I don't think they have the cash.

Not trying to be apocalyptic, but this could be the beginning of a very long end for Playstation.

Lognor

Banned
Sorry, but you are mistaken.

i0Wk9Xl.png
So historically more than half of those sales are from Nintendo franchises. More than half! Out of hundreds of developers making games for the Switch more than half of the games sold are from one publisher - Nintendo. Uhhh yeah, they'll be fine. And drill down into those numbers more and tell me how many sales are from large third parties that MS might go after. Probably not a significant number. Indies thrive on Switch.

Again, Nintendo would be fine. Sony, not so much.

Sosokrates

Report me if I continue to console war
The thing is...MS now has like 30 studios if not more...Sony has like 17 and some of these are support studios.

With all this shock of "omg they will lose COD" i didn't even think about this fact.

Xbox:

Sony:

sony-revela-que-17-subsidiarias-da-playstation-studios-estao-trabalhando-em-jogos-para-ps5-ps4-e-ps-vr-2-065231.webp

Would you be so kind to say the source of the pic with the xbox studios, thanks.

Hendrick's

If only my penis was as big as my GamerScore!
If Microsoft gets its hands on Capcom, Squaresoft or From software, I'll say Sony is in big, big trouble.
I'd say they already are.

PlayStation​

Rank2021 Top 20 Games (Physical and Full Game Digital for publishers in the Digital Leader Panel) ranked on dollar salesPublisher
1Call of Duty: VanguardActivision Blizzard (Corp)
2Madden NFL 22Electronic Arts
3Call of Duty: Black Ops: Cold WarActivision

I think their whole company is trash to be honest. I’d probably dabble with a game or 2 of CoD when they hit Game Pass day one, but that’s it. The best thing about Acti was Toys For Bob and Vicarious Visions and they fucking killed both studios. Twats.

Will be nice to get the back catalogue on Game Pass though; Modern Warfare trilogy, Spyro, Crash, Crash 4, Crash racing, Tony Hawks, Diablo etc. I’d play some of that stuff.

yeah they are quite shitty but atleast some good games have been published by them recently like sekiro and crash bandicoot. EA and ubisoft are way worse imo. when was the last time they published anything half decent? not that being the best of a bad bunch means much but still, i always put activision ahead of EA and ubisoft.

Matsuchezz

Time to buy an xbox as a second console.
Or MS just can buy Sony already and we get everything on game pass! That would be de sweetest deal of gaming!

Last edited:

GymWolf

This is what you get for giving me crossgen shit 2 years (if not more) into the lifespan of a new console, take that jimbo.

At least now they have a real excuse to be a bunch of greedy cunts and maximize profits.

Funny thing is that i don't give much of a fuck about most of bethesda and activision games.

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes

Xbox:

Sony:

Yep. The way I look at it, Sony only has 6 AAA studios.

- Sony Santa Monica
- Naughty Dog
- Sony Bend
- Sucker Punch
- Guerrilla Games
- Insomniac

PD only makes racing games so cant expect much more from them. Sony shouldve pulled a Playground Games and given them a second team to work on a non-racing game.

The problem is a lot of those GOTY producing studios are very unproductive. ND and Insomniac can get a game out every 2-3 years but GG, SP, SB and SSM take 5-6 years to release games. Thats an entire generation. They NEED multiple teams. They NEED to be bigger. They simply cannot take 5 years to make last gen sequels anymore.

Something has to change over at Sony. Housemarquee, Bluepoint acquistitions and the Astrobot studio formation is a good first start, but now they need a CoD of their own every year, and I just dont see any of their studios developing one anytime soon with the small workforce they have already busy working on last gen games.

Had they kept Zipper, Incognito and continued to invest in MP games like KZ, Socom, MAG and Resistance, they wouldve been in a much better place to combat this move from MS, but they pigeonholed themselves into making single player cinematic games and lost all of that talent from the exceptional Warhawk, KZ2, Resistance 2 and MAG teams. Who knows how long it will take them to start those teams up again. Who knows if they will ever even come close to CoD. I dont think Factions will do much to combat CoD either. It was always more of a cult classic.

Bragr

Banned
I'm so happy that Nintendo has carved their own way with their own franchises, they would never sell no matter what. I'm feeling safe.

But you Playstation guys are about to get dominated in a few years, Xbox is gonna have 1-2 major big exclusives on a monthly basis while Playstation will only have 3-4 a year.

Lognor

Banned
to the hardcore like us, it wont matter much because we hate call of duty right? when was the last time any of you guys played call of duty? microsoft will gain millions of customers from this move though.there are millions of casuals who buy a playstation just to play call of duty. sony will lose all of them if microsoft make it exclusive to xbox in the future but personally how does it really affect any of you who havent played call of dty since the ps3 days?
You know the hardcore is a small fraction of the overall games market, right? Casuals rule the day and by MS buying the most casual of all franchises, a shit ton of people are going to move from the PS ecosystem to the Xbox ecosystem.

I think the only thing super-duper relevant at the moment from them is probably Warzone, it seems to have most of the mindshare for COD stuff, I do like me some Starcraft though, that, I'd play for sure.

iHaunter

We're fucked lads. At this point nothing is off the table. EA, Take-Two, Square, Sega, hell even Nintendo probably isn't safe.

I've done my best to support Jim through these difficult times but It's clear Uncle Phil isn't just out for blood. I refuse to be in the cross-fire. It's time for me to retire from the PlayStation Nation

Godspeed
Most of the games Microsoft bought are shit. Outside of COD, most of the games are failing or poorly reviewed. This was a desperation move.

I don't do the console war stuff as I own ps5/pc/oculus/series x/switch/switch oled and soon a steamdeck lol....But nah bro this is bigger than big.

I don't think people get that the causal audience will BUY Xbox consoles just to play Call of Duty especially if the new ones from Infinity Ward and Treyarch ends up being good.

Outside of GTA, COD is one of the other few IP's left that can move console sells. Its that big

Last edited:

Sosokrates

Report me if I continue to console war
What this aquisition indicates to me is the difference in stratagy Microsoft are implementing.
Microsoft want to be the mass market gaming device, not only on the console market but also in PC and cloud, they dont want to only sell 100 million consoles, they want a billion people to play there games.

Sony is not doing this same strategy, they are happy with the 100million console installbase and they do this by appealing to the hardcore and more niche gamer, we are already seeing this with them pushing inovation with the dualsense and appealing to the hardcore with VR.
I predict they will continue to aquire devs of similar size to there recent aquisitions.
When your going up against huge franchises they will do what they did early in the PS4 gen and do a large indie initiative. Playstation has always been known for artistic indie games, like flower. So I expect aquisitions and deals for indies like playdead + thatgamecompany along with a marketing push around this.
This might seem a bit different to sonys recent focus on 3rd party mega blockbusters like call of duty and fortnite and they will still continue that, but this indie initiative is easy and cheap to implement.
Playstation will cater to its hardcore fans.
Because playing the same game as Microsoft is just not financialy possible for them.

Last edited:

JimRyanGOAT

Sony cant win this war tbh

Just put Gamepass onto Playstation

Microsoft isnt going to stop with Activision, I predict by 2025 another 2-3 massive acquisitions while Sony stays paying money for games nobody cares about like Deathloop

Withnail

Sony isn't going to compete with this so forget that. Just play the games and stop worrying about console wars, that shit is over now.

TheTony316

Nintendo doesnt port their games to PC.

They are big because they are a closed eco system. You cant play switch games on the Wii U. You can play PS5 games on the PS4.

?

You can't? Unless you're talking about cross-gen games which i bet will be the same with Switch and Switch 2 for a while. xD

sncvsrtoip

Its not that on this forum anybody waited for new cod with excitation but for sure its massive bomb as its still one if not best selling game every year, still 70 bilions seems like ridiculous amount, (wonder why didn't they buy take two as gta seems to be much bigger title). Sony is just not financialy on same level and can't compete with such aquisitions and if they somehow manage to acuire studios like capcom, konami, namco, square I would be suprised.

JimRyanGOAT

Can Sony buy take two? Or square enix? They need to get this to happen. If Microsoft makes call of duty exclusive that will wipe out a huge part of PlayStation’s gaming base.

Take Two is stupid, Microsoft already bought all the major companies imo, except EA & Ubisoft.

Take Two only has GTA, why pay so much money for a game that comes out every decade

And with every major key player leaving after Rockstar after RDR2, Rockstar might not even be the same

Last edited:

FunkMiller

Gold Member
Sony still don’t need to go on a massive publisher spending spree…

…but they sure as shit need to start concentrating on the fucking Ps5, instead of all this cross gen, PC fuckery - which may be a short term gain, but will fuck ‘em long term when their flagship console sells less.

Big boy trousers time for Jim. No more fucking about and resting on your ass, thinking you have a captive audience. 70 billion just fucked that out of the sky.

Last edited:

twilo99

Xbox:

Sony:

Sad? Its actually impressive how much quality Sony puts out from these studios.. very efficient and much cheaper.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Its not that on this forum anybody waited for new cod with excitation but for sure its massive bomb as its still one if not best selling game every year, still 70 bilions seems like ridiculous amount, (wonder why didn't they buy take two as gta seems to be much bigger title). Sony is just not financialy on same level and can't compete with such aquisitions and if they somehow manage to acuire studios like capcom, konami, namco, square I would be suprised.
I read today in the NPD 2021 report that COD has been the best selling title for the last 13 years. That means 2007 was the last time a non-COD game sold more.

In addition, the 1st and the 3rd spots were taken by this year and last year's CODs. These games have insane legs.

GTA hasnt seen a sequel in 9 years. Take2 said not to expect anything till 2025. So between the years of 2013 and 2025, Activision wouldve released 12 COD games. 1 GTA every 12 years doesnt sound like a good investment, does it?

I am surprised they didnt go for Nintendo. It's only $10 billion more in market cap compared to Activision. Nintendo probably didnt want to sell, but I think $100 billion for Nintendo wouldve been possible for Microsoft who have $137 billion cash on hand, and with some clever accounting they would probably use that to write off billions in taxes for the next 5-10 years.

?

You can't? Unless you're talking about cross-gen games which i bet will be the same with Switch and Switch 2 for a while. xD
Yes, i was talking about the three cross gen games they are releasing this year. the last cross gen game Nintendo released was Zelda at launch. That year Arms, Splatoon 2, and Mario Odyssey never showed up on the Wii U despite the console specs being very similar to the switch. Since then they have completely deserted the Wii U, the 3ds and seen Switch flourish.

Last edited:

FunkMiller

Gold Member
My best games and IP's are still on PS, so we're going nowhere. Now Sony needs to stop timed exclusives and start/reboot their own IP's.

The best thing about this acquisition could be making Sony start to fucking make an effort again. Let's face it, all the cross gen and PC stuff, along with the shitty way they've been developing their services, have all come about because they thought MS weren't going to challenge them in the console space.

They ain't gonna be thinking like that anymore.

Banjo64

cumsessed
Nintendo is thriving with first party support only. Sony would be fine with just first party support.
Simply not true. Nintendo sell hardware at a profit and move first party software at a rate Sony can only dream of, at full price. Not to mention Sony’s spiralling development costs compared to Nintendo.

A large percentage of revenue for PlayStation comes from their 30% cut of these massive games like TES, Fallout and CoD that sell more than their own first party in most cases. Also a lot of people are paying for PS Plus subs for FIFA and CoD alone.

TheTony316

Yes, i was talking about the three cross gen games they are releasing this year. the last cross gen game Nintendo released was Zelda at launch. That year Arms, Splatoon 2, and Mario Odyssey never showed up on the Wii U despite the console specs being very similar to the switch. Since then they have completely deserted the Wii U, the 3ds and seen Switch flourish.

But the Wii U was a flop. There was no reason to support it any longer. I don't think they'll do the same with the Switch. I bet most first party games will be on Switch and Switch 2 for the first couple of years.

Last edited:

Sanepar

Xbox:

Sony:

It is not sad.

Sony is being stupid last 2 years and will pay the price.

Timed exclusives instead of expanded fp

Crap wired VR with oy 15 studios who makes fp games and 2 support studios.

They are fucked and Japa gov probably will not let they buy jap publishers or sell playstation as a whole.

They will need to make a JV with Google/Amazon/Disney/Apple. But they will need muscles to survive if they want to survive.

Cod is 25 million sales per year every year. Plus Blizzard games and a lot of good franchises inside Activision.

Last edited:
Top Bottom