• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Where do you stand on No Man's Sky?

MikeyB

Just for the record: the other (alien) ships are members of a handful of alien factions who are at war with each other and who you can build relationship statuses with and enter dialogue with (they also have bases/towns on life-supporting planets), the game has a relatively deep RPG system in that it has a large skill tree with many options/upgrades for your guns, suit and ship, and apparently relatively customisable spaceships. We don't know about the story: it might be epic. It might not be.

The above has been "promised" in videos and in hands-on previews. Worth reading

But yeah, no teambased multiplayer action.

Have they promised aliens with daily schedules and complex interactions with each other (Oblivion)? Nope.

Have they promised a deep RPG system (I'm talking DnD 2nd and 3rd edition and PoE as deep)? Nope. They have shown unlockable skills and ship types.

Have they promised an epic story (Destiny)? Nope. They have said there is a reason for getting towards the center.

They have shown that there are aliens and they do have factions who rate you and attack each other. They have shown there are unlockable skills and ships. They have said there is a story. They haven't made huge claims about those things though - only that they are situated in this big galaxy they made.

I'm not bothered by people who don't like it. I'm bothered when people say that it is going to be a disappointment because Hello Games made bigger claims than they have. It's just factually wrong.

Shoeless

I am SO excited.
This is the game I've always wanted. Space exploration, land on planets, etc.

Day fucking 1. Also the devs seem like some of the nicest people ever. They really are pouring their love into this game.

I suppose in the end it really comes down to your own preference for this style of exploration gameplay. I'm one of those people that fell in the minority with Mass Effect 1, and was able to enjoy the Mako sequences despite the terrible controls. I've always enjoyed just wandering a game's world and exploring the sights, which is why games like No Man's Sky, and even the "virtual tourism" aspect of VR can appeal to me even without a lot of shooting.

I'm hoping that eventually NMS will be patched to take advantage of PS VR. If it does, that would make it a pretty mind blowing experience for "space explorers."

Im guessing there is a super massive black hole in the center of the galaxy that acts as a gateway/wormhole that shoots you into another galaxy that has even less limits within its algorithms and planets get more and more wacked out.

I know planets get wilder as you reach closer to the center but once you reach the center it brings you to the real crazy town.

I have heard the term universe used and galaxy so I am assuming there are multiple galaxies to explore. I dont think they stuck all those quintillion planets in just one galaxy.

Pretty much. I watched those videos back when they were originally uploading, and they are really frank and candid.

A lot of these guys are used to the way big companies handle their PR. They talk big, make bold promises, and if the game falls short of expectations, they roll on to the next big, impressive project and go back to talking big and making bold promises on their next title.

The thing is, indie developers don't have that luxury. They can't let failed expectations roll off of their backs and move on to the next project, because there will literally be no next project if they fail to deliver on the current one.

Hello Games isn't owned by Sony. They are a 12 person team, who have been working on this game for four years. It is nearing completion, and they made sure to only talk about features that they'd realistically be able to implement in the game. Once the procedural algortihms were sorted out, they were able to grow the game out. Most of the features present in the game were talked about years ago, with the most recent revelations about the game revealed earlier this year (before E3), was that there were alien languages to learn by interacting with monoliths scattered throughout the galaxy. Other features like equipment/ship/armor upgrades were known ages ago.

An indie team can't afford to bullshit you. Their reputation depends on them being able to deliver what they promise. Sony, Microsoft, Nintendo, EA, Activision, etc, etc, can afford to lie to us all they want, because they more than likely have enough other cool looking projects to make us forgive a misstep or broken promise. Believe me, as a huge fan of the Fable series, I know all about the feel of smoke being blown up my ass.

Sean Murray and Hello Games can't afford to boast like a Carnival Barker. They can't afford to deceive and fool us by making claims they can't back. Because they know if they do, Hello Games' rep is ruined. That could have financial ramifications if word of broken promises spread and people don't purchase the game. Look at what happened to Lionhead. I loved the Fable games (Well, 1 was great, 2 was disappointing, 3 had fun co-op that me and my wife would play all of the time, but it still didn't capture the joy and charm of the first Fable), and where is Lionhead now? How is Molyneux regarded now?

People in the gaming industry aren't making games to get one over on you. They aren't setting out to make terrible, mediocre games. I know, because I work in the gaming industry. We do it because we have a love and passion for gaming, and want to make cool games that we, ourselves, would like to play as well. If Sean was guarded about No Man's Sky early on, it was because he didn't want to over-promise on a game he already knew his 12 person team would have to break themselves to pull off. He only revealed features when he knew they could do it and it was implemented successfully. If the game falls short, it certainly wasn't because they were trying to disappoint people or con them. Indy devs really can't risk their livelihoods on fucking over the fanbase.
Basically. It's something I've said a few times regarding indie devs. They don't have a safety net like the big publishers do. They don't have another multi-million-sold franchise that is assured to do well if their current project is broken, or is a bomb, or ruins their reputation. A game does badly and it can quite possibly be your last game. You lie about your game, pull a scam, whatever, and your reputation is done.

The indie scene tends to be very transparent and without much bullshit, because they can't afford to pull bullshit with their games when their livelihood and futures are literally on the line

Figboy79

Aftershock LA
Basically. It's something I've said a few times regarding indie devs. They don't have a safety net like the big publishers do. They don't have another multi-million-sold franchise that is assured to do well if their current project is broken, or is a bomb, or ruins their reputation. A game does badly and it can quite possibly be your last game. You lie about your game, pull a scam, whatever, and your reputation is done.

The indie scene tends to be very transparent and without much bullshit, because they can't afford to pull bullshit with their games when their livelihood and futures are literally on the line

Exactly. People are treating Hello Games and Sean Murray with the suspicion they do an Activision or EA. They can't afford to play the Game of Thrones with our wallets, guys.

I have heard the term universe used and galaxy so I am assuming there are multiple galaxies to explore. I dont think they stuck all those quintillion planets in just one galaxy.

Sean's been asked about that in interviews before, and he didn't want to spoil anything, but basically said, "You start out in one galaxy. There are others." So yeah, I think it's reasonable to guess that the endgame opens up to a different galaxy. New Galaxy+, so to speak. All he's said about the endgame content is that "things will open up once you reach the center"...

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
Exactly. People are treating Hello Games and Sean Murray with the suspicion they do an Activision or EA. They can't afford to play the Game of Thrones with our wallets, guys.

Honestly, I think most people who are being skeptical are just people who simply can't see the appeal of this type of game and think their must be something more. They don't see how people could spend a ton of hours with a game they'd get bored of within a couple of hours as they aren't into exploring, gathering, crafting etc. And as such, they don't understand why it's gotten so much coverage, when other games in similar niches like Elite Dangerous didn't. Add in that Sony money hatted it on console, and all the console war nonsense that goes on, and that's where you get the backlash and trolling.

SomTervo

One thing I've never seen NMS being mistaken for though, is a Sim, as I was not talking about details of flight model/ UI/ commands, but of "activities" and scope (although on that last one NMS has Elite beat by a wide margin).

That's what it sounded like you were doing? Suggesting NMS is a sim like Elite and Frontier.

But as noted here:

Nah, the original Elite and Elite II: Frontier are pretty close to NMS - I'd argue NMS is actually more a successor to them in content & approach than Dangerous, which is pretty heavy space sim control-wise.

Definitely not like Eve though, other than looking like a massive time-sink :)

Perhaps I'm grossly misremembering those games.

I'm hungry for anything sci fi that is set in space and has actual space battles. So is everyone else, as demonstrated by the 100 million plus given to Star Citizen for nothing more than hopes and dreams. Will this be the Firefly-esque space crew game I've always wanted? No. But perhaps, in time, something like that could happen if games like this do well. Again it's hopes and dreams, but hell with it. I'm 275 bucks into Star Citizen, might as well buy into the dream completely.

Figboy79

Aftershock LA
The funny thing for me concerning this game is that I had the reverse reaction to the game when it was first announced.

I thought it looked really cool when it was revealed at the Sony event years back, but I was skeptical about the scope and scale, and how they'd make the game interesting. Over the past few years, and reading all of the interviews, watching the gameplay walkthroughs, and reading all of the hands on previews of the game, and tech videos explaining how they were pulling off their ambitious plans, I became more interested and excited for the game.

Each showing of the game made me more confident that I was getting what was on the tin. They never over-reached in terms of promising features. They could have easily tried to sell their game to more people by claiming it would have all of the buzzwords and bells and whistles that the big studios throw about when vying for our dollars, but they didn't. The always maintained that their game was niche. That they'd like to expand on it, but being a small team, they were putting in what they felt were compelling systems that would ideally keep players engaged. Trading. Raiding. Exploration. Upgrading tools/equipment/spaceships. Cataloging alien species. They could have made promises of delivering multiplayer, pvp, quests, mini-games, whatever. But they didn't. Their messaging has always been simple and straight forward. Being coy isn't misdirection. Sean wanted to preserve as much of the mystery of the game as possible, but in this day and age, that really doesn't seem possible.

Gamers want complete blowouts and lets plays. I imagine the console/pc screenshot threads for this game are going to be really fun. Especially because of the different procedural planets and species players will run across. I don't even think you'd have to worry so much about spoiler tags in an NMS thread, because the odds of people coming across your particular planet are so damn slim. I have no doubt that their procedural algorithm system they've developed will create some truly unique things. The various videos going in depth into that system has convinced me. This isn't going to be like buzzword "Radiant AI," or some other mysterious sounding, easily trademarked phrase that fans will repeat ad nauseum in every thread about the game. They've stated their plans with the game, showed us how they pulled it off, and have been letting us see how the systems work together for months now. Their time to convince you has passed. If it isn't up your alley, that's fine, but Sean and Hello Games have done their job.

120v

i found it a little odd when this game was announced and so many people went apeshit. looks like one of those games that could go either way. definitely need to see some reviews first but i'm bullish on its prospects

I'm waiting on reviews/impressions once people have played for several hours. But if it turns out well, I'm super ready to drop some money on this one!

Even if the game ultimately ends up being flawed and not really engaging long term, I'll still likely pick it up once there is a good sale to support the developers and encourage games with interesting concepts like this one.

DayEnder

It already sold 170,000 preorders in North America alone

Assuming it's all base $60 versions, that's $10,000,000

I don't think it's going to bomb

The game is made by around 10 people...even if each employee is making $100,000 per year (which is a high estimate) for 3-4 years that's ~$4 million. Add on another $1 million for technology (PCs, servers, licensing, etc.). Even with marketing, manufacturing, and distribution they will break even very quickly. Pre-orders alone might cover everything before the first copy/digital download is in the hands of consumers.

Definitely not going to bomb.

Edit: I'm one of the 170,000 NA pre-orders.

OmegaDL50

So you've never talked shit about a terrible game? I doubt there are more than a handful of games ever released where everyone involved didn't actually work hard to make the best game they could.

I would give the developers far more credit than you. I don't think they are so fragile that they'd read the post you quoted, slump their shoulders and spiral into a deep depression because some random asshole on a forum, who's never played the game, thinks it won't be good.

There is a difference is saying the game isn't going to be good, and saying the people working on the game are trying to sham people.

Like seriously people honestly believe Sean Murray or Hello Games is trying intentionally deceive or provide misleading info (The definition of sham)

How to fuck do people justify this sort of stance? What impression or confirmation of any sort has given credibility of the notion that the Hello Games is delivering No Man's Sky as some sort of "sham"?

Figboy79

Aftershock LA
I can't even begin to speculate on how well the game will be received. I'd have told you that the Wii was going to be a failure before launch, and I'd have told you the Wii U would be a success. Not Wii level success, but a very nice success for Nintendo.

This is why I don't pretend to know shit about how the market is going to react to a game.

I love Heavy Rain, and even Sony was expecting the game to sell around 200,000 units. It ended up selling somewhere around 2 million.

I don't know what Sony and Hello Games thinks No Man's Sky is going to do, but I know I couldn't tell you if it's going to do 100,000 or 1 million. We can only speak for ourselves, and not the millions of gamers out there who may find themselves interested in this game. I just know it appeals to me. And since I'm me, and no one else is, I couldn't care less if some shmoe working at the box factory likes the game or not. As long as I do, I'm happy.

Full disclosure: I really like The Order 1886. I thought it was a cool game with a cheap ending. It wasn't a flawless or groundbreaking game, but I enjoyed it. I'd have bought a sequel day one because the premise and gameplay had potential.

Something tells me No Man's Sky will not be anything like the Order.

OuterLimits

It already sold 170,000 preorders in North America alone

Assuming it's all base $60 versions, that's $10,000,000

I don't think it's going to bomb

That's good. Only thing that could really hurt it is if the game gets really bad review scores before release. I don't know if the game will even have early reviews though.

OmegaDL50

One credit to the playability of this game is though that folks that got actual hands on play time with the preview build did leave with a positive impression.

Key point: Folks that actually PLAYED this game, while in a unfinished state were positive.

If the game had issues with playability, I wouldn't definitely think the folks that played that early build would have shared their negative findings, no?

Video footage and trailers and tons of interviews can only do so much. It is a much different experience when the controller is your own hands. I think the significance of playable build not having an overly negative impression and was actually positive is something that should not be simply brushed aside for the folks that simply just go and say "Looks boring" "Doesn't look fun"

I would think the hands-on playable impressions would at least count for something.

I understand some folks who are skeptical. Nothing wrong with this, perfectly fine to be cautious.

Having a REALISTIC outlook is far more preferable to all of the posts that simply just go on and say "NMS is a sham" "This is going fail" "It's going to bomb" and many other ultimately pointless drive bys that don't substantiate reasons for making such claims.

Copper

Has cool art and currently rocking it as a wallpaper. Not really sure what to think of this game. I'll wait and see.

sonny4p

There are plenty of games I'm not interested in and can still tell what its going to play like for the most part.
I cant tell what this game is about after seeing all the trailers for it. Maybe I'm just hoping for more because if thats all then this game will suck. That would be sad because who doesn't want to be immersed in space game.

Elandyll

Banned
That's what it sounded like you were doing? Suggesting NMS is a sim like Elite and Frontier.

But as noted here:

Perhaps I'm grossly misremembering those games.
No, I played Frontier Elite and Elite II extensively back in the days (Amiga), as well as Elite Dangerous a bit recently, and NMS never looked like a Sim.
The comparison is about a procedurally generated universe (Frontier II, as grounbreaking as it was in a way, was obviously much smaller) with planets and stars obeying gravitational princip!es and day/night cycles (you couldn't land or get out of tne ship in Frontier), a sandbox universe with exploration, credits to be made via commerce or piracy or being a good cop/ merc type, no narrative to speak of beside what's "there" and relations between factions/ planets, ship upgrades bought at space stations...

Even with such a barren template (relatively speaking, Elite II was about 400kb big I think) I played that game for unkempt hours.

I'm a bit scared thinking about what time I'll spend in NMS frankly.

cool_dude

Banned
100% in this camp, especially the wading through a sea of generic garbage factor.

The aesthetics are beautiful and I wish there was anything about this gameplay wise that pointed towards anything promising for my tastes, but alas I see nothing but utter boredom. What they've shown isn't the kind of exploration I'm remotely interested in for reasons better stated by the poster I've quoted.

As it stands, it's No Man's Buy for me.

Yup.

Unicorn

Maybe this is the problem. Frontier Elite II had the same sense of scale back in 1993 but not that many people put up a fuss about it.

I guess it's because this is the first time a space simulator is being 1) built to have accessible mainstream controls, and 2) released on a mainstream console in North America. A lot of this confusion is because it's being advertised to people who've never played Elite.

What if that planned Super NES version of the original Elite had actually been made? What if they'd tried to do a PS1 port of Elite II or Elite III? In light of this it's a bit odd that the Xbox One version of Elite Dangerous has mostly flown under the radar.

I hade some shareware homebrew version of the Original Elite on GBA that was emulating a modded ZX Spectrum version of the game. It had a UI scrollable with L and R on GBA and that was actually my first time playing Elite and it blew my mind in the mid 2000's, especially in the context that it originally came out in the 80's. It held up 20+ years later. If they had had that on SNES in the 90's perspective on space games would probably be a lot different today.

I'm baffled by the lack of Elite comparisons in general. The fact that people not know what to do when they simply need to see Elite, a 30 year old franchise, to understand the basic concept.

It looks like the kind of game I will play for a few hours and then grow immensely bored with. Will probably buy it a year after launch when there's a Plus sale offering it for $7 or so.

Mr.Sword

I will buy it when they announce VR support. The game has potential to be an infinite exploration sandbox for VR users. But on 2D? I dont see the appeal personally.

RedSwirl

I hade some shareware homebrew version of the Original Elite on GBA that was emulating a modded ZX Spectrum version of the game. It had a UI scrollable with L and R on GBA and that was actually my first time playing Elite and it blew my mind in the mid 2000's, especially in the context that it originally came out in the 80's. It held up 20+ years later. If they had had that on SNES in the 90's perspective on space games would probably be a lot different today.

I'm baffled by the lack of Elite comparisons in general. The fact that people not know what to do when they simply need to see Elite, a 30 year old franchise, to understand the basic concept.

https://www.unseen64.net/2010/09/09/elite-snes-mega-drive-gameboy-cancelled/

The SNES version of Elite was probably going to be even better than that. From what I understand it was to be based on the Amiga version which was the most advanced version of the original Elite. It had full-color polygonal objects and types of NPCs that weren't in the earlier 8-bit versions. Actual screenshots of the SNES version basically look like Star Fox 1. There were also attempts to bring it to the Genesis and Game Boy.

There actually was a Europe-only NES version which is what I played on an emulator. Ian Bell considers it the best 8-bit version. I prefer it because it has more accessible controls than the computer versions.

Daft Souls had a really good discussion about the game, since one of the hosts got to play the game in that recent press event
Starts around 36 minutes: www.coolghosts.net/cool-stuff/2016/3/7/daft-souls-72-stardew-valley-no-mans-sky
They also talk about how the game is specifically designed around keeping you moving, and how that push to keep the player moving informs so many aspects of the game, from why crafting is all about upgrading yourself and your gear and not for establishing a home base, why there aren't seasons, etc.
Also talks about how she got lost in a massive cave system on the planet she was on, and how the rarity of life makes discovering life really exciting

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
I am the guy who loved vanilla console version Skyrim and loved trekking on foot from Solitude to Whiterun and checking out whatever caught my interest and just getting lost in the atmosphere.

I'm perfectly fine exploring planets or new systems, cataloging new lifeforms and other points of interest while collecting upgrades for my ship, basically a more involved Mako exploration from Mass Effect. The idea of hoping in my spacecraft and jetting to the next planet to see what I can see is all I really want.

I do hope they have a handful of scripted or programmed inhabited and civilized planets to visit. These warring alien factions have to come from somewhere and I'd like to visit that somewhere, even if the planets are not as fully realized as the PG ones.

I know there is some minor terraforming in the game based on videos, but I've seen a few people say this game is like Space Minecraft with base building and shit like that. I hope not.

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
14 people work at No Man's Sky ...

Sean Murray (God) created a Universe with 13 other people (Jesus and his 12 disciples)...

giphy.gif

SomTervo

Daft Souls had a really good discussion about the game, since one of the hosts got to play the game in that recent press event
Starts around 36 minutes: www.coolghosts.net/cool-stuff/2016/3/7/daft-souls-72-stardew-valley-no-mans-sky
They also talk about how the game is specifically designed around keeping you moving, and how that push to keep the player moving informs so many aspects of the game, from why crafting is all about upgrading yourself and your gear and not for establishing a home base, why there aren't seasons, etc.
Also talks about how she got lost in a massive cave system on the planet she was on, and how the rarity of life makes discovering life really exciting

The bolded is really important, and people won't get it without playing the game or reading texts about it.

You won't be able to just walk around and see the sights. It's not a walking simulator.

If you try to hang out and progress in a relaxed, casual fashion, you will die. Unless you literally just stand still or stay on one planet/in empty space, in which case you're basically not playing the game.

Mifec

Gonna see how it turns out then if it's good buy it on GoG. They deserve my support at full price simply for selling it DRM free if the game is all they promised it would be.

SomTervo

Well, there are these:
Uoctez2.gif

I always forget something awesome they've shown us

Giant animals confirmed

Imagine the ramifications that has for being closer to the center of the galaxy...

People are totally going to find giant fucking spiders

It is going to be awful

I am going to nope off that planet immediately if I happen to find them

Top Bottom