• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Where may one find out the potential dates for Sony's next major event? (Updated Poll)

when???

• Total voters
PR under Jim Ryan has been pretty bad. I'm not sure if that is complacency or incompetence really.
I prefer the silence and surprise drops in their SoP's than the constant drivel (and often outright lies) from Microsoft and other companies.

Though I can't believe they haven't had their e3 style show yet. I would have thought that GoW would get a SoP in the next few weeks and their big showcase by the end of sept.

yurinka

PR under Jim Ryan has been pretty bad. I'm not sure if that is complacency or incompetence really.
Fake news.

Looking at gaming revenue, or console and game sales, or marketing metrics like demand or engagement, or social media numbers , they tell us that the PR under Jim Ryan achieved the best numbers in these and other areas that are representative of its results (unlike the opinion of a few guys from forums) than any console maker CEO ever achieved.

They release more big exclusives per year than the other ones, and also promoted additional stuff like the new PS Plus or PSVR2, so they focused their marketing on these short term releases. They didn't have to focus on promoting distant releases because they had many short term stuff to promote.

Their sales, engagement and demand metrics are stronger than ever and can't sell more consoles because they are supply constrained. Meaning that it's wiser to save hype bullets for later, once they have way more consoles available so supply and demand get more balanced again and have less announced stuff to be promoted.

Topher

Gold Member
Fake news.

Looking at gaming revenue, or console and game sales, or marketing metrics like demand or engagement, or social media numbers , they tell us that the PR under Jim Ryan achieved the best numbers in these and other areas that are representative of its results (unlike the opinion of a few guys from forums) than any console maker CEO ever achieved.

They release more big exclusives per year than the other ones, and also promoted additional stuff like the new PS Plus or PSVR2, so they focused their marketing on these short term releases. They didn't have to focus on promoting distant releases because they had many short term stuff to promote.

Their sales, engagement and demand metrics are stronger than ever and can't sell more consoles because they are supply constrained. Meaning that it's wiser to save hype bullets for later, once they have way more consoles available so supply and demand get more balanced again and have less announced stuff to be promoted.

All that tells us is that PlayStation is strong enough a brand to survive Jim Ryan's nonsense. That much I'm thankful for. But if you want to believe public relations under Jim Ryan has been great then that's up to you.

yurinka

All that tells us is that PlayStation is strong enough a brand to survive Jim Ryan's nonsense. That much I'm thankful for. But if you want to believe public relations under Jim Ryan has been great then that's up to you.
What his results (on PR, marketing related and beyond) tell us is that he's achieving gaming history (positive) records in a lot of areas.

These are facts based on objective, factual public market data. They aren't my personal opinion.

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
What his results (on PR, marketing related and beyond) tell us is that he's achieving gaming history (positive) records in a lot of areas.

These are facts based on objective, factual public market data. They aren't my personal opinion.

That's fine, but that is not what I'm talking about. Its crap like somehow forgetting that Horizon Forbidden West was to be a free upgrade, the way he handled Japan Studio, PS5 price hike, all the crappy States of Play. There's more I'm not thinking of, but obviously Jim Ryan is a good business man and I'm not saying otherwise. He just sucks at public relations. And yes, that is my personal opinion.

Last edited:

Gudji

Yeah, ive loved their recent games, but in terms of getting people excited for their upcoming line up, it definitely feels as if they have taken a que from the Nintendo school of complacency
Next step for sony: they pull a nintendo with a HZD remaster for 80$. :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Fredrik

That's fine, but that is not what I'm talking about. Its crap like somehow forgetting that Horizon Forbidden West was to be a free upgrade, the way he handle Japan Studio, PS5 price hike, all the crappy States of Play. There's more I'm not thinking of, but obviously Jim Ryan is a good business man and I'm not saying otherwise. He just sucks at public relations. And yes, that is my personal opinion.
The price increase comes from increased component prices, can’t blame Jim for doing that. I’m working in the electronics manufacturning industry, prices are increasing on almost everything, and manufacturers are hoarding components to secure production for years making supply even worse, it’s a mess. I think we’ll see more moves like that. MS could side-step it because they’re rich and sneaky, likely taking the loss just to get a pricing advantage.

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
The price increase comes from increased component prices, can’t blame Jim for doing that. I’m working in the electronics manufacturning industry, prices are increasing on almost everything, and manufacturers are hoarding components to secure production for years making supply even worse, it’s a mess. I think we’ll see more moves like that. MS could side-step it because they’re rich and sneaky, likely taking the loss just to get a pricing advantage.

Which Sony handed to them on a silver platter. I think it was a stupid PR move even if it was justified in an economic sense. Sometimes you are better off in the long run to take the loss.

Fredrik

Which Sony handed to them on a silver platter. I think it was a stupid PR move even if it was justified in an economic sense. Sometimes you are better off in the long run to take the loss.
It depends if you can take the loss, they’re very likely seeing increased costs in all their hardware segments. MS aren’t as invested in hardware so they aren’t as affected by the component supply issues, plus they’re awfully rich.
Sony could’ve timed it better though, should’ve released a new revision with a bigger SSD and new design or something.

Last edited:

NovaSe7en

They don't need one, and neither do we.

Announce the games when they're ready. Post a trailer on YouTube when you actually have something to show.

Literally the same thing, minus all the smoke and mirrors, lies, and deception.

Fredrik

They don't need one, and neither do we.

Announce the games when they're ready. Post a trailer on YouTube when you actually have something to show.

Literally the same thing, minus all the smoke and mirrors, lies, and deception.
Yeah this is my thought as well and I think they’ve had a decent year already. I’m sure they’ll show more about what’s coming next year - next year.

yurinka

That's fine, but that is not what I'm talking about. Its crap like somehow forgetting that Horizon Forbidden West was to be a free upgrade, the way he handled Japan Studio, PS5 price hike, all the crappy States of Play. There's more I'm not thinking of, but obviously Jim Ryan is a good business man and I'm not saying otherwise. He just sucks at public relations. And yes, that is my personal opinion.
Most of these things are minor details that most players or inversors didn't care about and didn't even noticed them. For other ones you're blaming him when they are not related to him and other ones are mentioned as negative when they are positive.

Yes, the Horizon thing happened: forgot they mentioned that was going to be free and later rectified.

Regarding Japan Studio: after doing it in Europe and USA, they moved their 2nd party Japanese publishing team from inside an internal development studio to their own office.

They also put them in charge not only of 2nd party Japanese externally developed games but expanded their area to also put them in charge of 2nd party games developed in the rest of Asia.

Now instead of reporting to a local internally development studio they are part of the global XDEV team so they are coordinated with the other Sony global 2nd party teams and help each other, optimizing their work and being more effective. And they are growing their team. So there is nothing negative here, it's positive. They also unified their marketing teams under a global team and are doing a more effective and powerful work.

Regarding their internally development part: after decades and dozens of games they weren't able to ship a single hit in sales. They were very unproductive with money pits like The Last Guardian, which needed help from external teams to ship it. They produced turds like Knack and lost many talented devs who left the studio way before this restructuring. In basically any other company, they would have shut it down many years ago.

Here what Sony did was to restructure it merging the different development teams into their most successful and productive one: Team Asobi, whose leadership was promoted to lead the studio because they clearly needed a management change and fire some old bosses and unproductive folks. Now without the 2nd party part and all internal dev teams merged in to Team Asobi, Team Asobi was the one left so they also rebranded the studio to Team Asobi, which also would help them restart the studio. They are also growing.

I think it's also a positive change that we'll appreaciate in the future: a team that will be more productive releasing better games (more like Astro and less like Knack) and faster (more like Astro and less than TLG) than before.

The PS5 hike is not related to them: the inflation skyrocketed, the dolar vs yen highly fucks them and the prices of the components or shipments skyrocketed. The cost of making a shipping a PS5 in the last year or so skyrocket way beyond the price increase they applied. And same happen with anything shippable or from companies from outside USA, this is why we also saw price increases in PC GPU carts, Meta VR headset, smarphones and a ton of other things from companies who weren't selling pretty overpriced products with a big profit margin (like Nintendo) and that were interested on having a profitable business. The PS5 price increase didn't happened because 'Jimbo is evil and greedy' or because 'Sony is arrogant'. It was something they needed to do and looking at the insane demand and super quick sell outs something that won't affect them at all.

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
Most of these things are minor details that most players or inversors didn't care about and didn't even noticed them. For other ones you're blaming him when they are not related to him and other ones are mentioned as negative when they are positive.

Not going through all that. We disagree. It's fine.

vivftp

*looks around*

Yes there is still ample reason to believe that PlayStation will have a showcase sooner rather than later. I'll just quote myself from a recent post:

1. We know a Helldivers 2 trailer has been prepared as of a few weeks ago, and a brief snippet of the trailer was made by Dusk Golem and found its way onto the internet. It didn't show up at Gamescom, the State of Play or TGS. This is a first party SIE game being made by Arrowhead and Sony typically reveals their games at a showcase with very few exceptions (ie. Horizon CotM and TLOU Part 1). This could indicate the trailer was made for an upcoming showcase

2. Yoshida has stated he expects the next FF16 trailer to come out in October. Sony obviously has strong ties ties to this game and it usually shows up at their events. This was recently reiterated by Yoshida.

3. PSVR2 is launching early 2023 and has yet to get a release date and price. So far they've been mirroring its info release pretty closely to the 2020 info release of the PS5, meaning a price/date at a showcase would be the next step, along with the rest of its launch lineup since all we've gotten so far are "sneak peaks".

4. Atlus has advised there will be no new game announcements at their concert in October. Some seem to believe this could mean a reveal at a PS showcase instead.

5. Kojima has been editing something lately. It wasn't something for Gamescom or TGS. It could maybe be related to his podcast? Or he could be editing a trailer for a PS Showcase. It would seem a bit early for him to be editing a trailer for TGA. We have a leak of Death Stranding 2 being a thing, and we know KojiPro are working on multiple projects, so this could be one of 'em.

6. Sony's about to end the marketing cycle for their last game announced back in 2020, and nothing else they've announced has a definitive release date (Spider-Man 2, Wolverine, Horizon CotM, TLOU MP). The pandemic pushed back their marketing/releases, so that's to be expected, but they'll have to get their next wave of marketing done sooner rather than later. Spider-Man 2 is launching in 2023 and so far we only have a teaser video from last years showcase, for example. We know that 2 unannounced live service games are going to launch this fiscal year (by March 31, 2023), and those haven't been revealed yet. Helldivers 2 s likely one of them, at least.

7. Precedent. Sony's held a September showcase the past 2 years, and while we got the September SoP, we haven't gotten their showcase yet. Holding a showcase in October would still fit the pattern.

8. Sony's first party content has been suspiciously absent from their June and September State of Plays, which almost entirely focused on third parties with only a couple of already announced first party games sprinkled in. The mere fact that they've held them back tells us that they're saving them for something, which would have to be a showcase. We know they've got over 25 titles in development so they could potentially have a LOT of titles to show us that're releasing in 2023 and 2024.

It's coming folks, just a wee bit longer :)

bitbydeath

Gold Member
They have a much slower 1st party pipeline this time around.
Steve Brule What GIF

bitbydeath

Gold Member
*looks around*

Yes there is still ample reason to believe that PlayStation will have a showcase sooner rather than later. I'll just quote myself from a recent post:

1. We know a Helldivers 2 trailer has been prepared as of a few weeks ago, and a brief snippet of the trailer was made by Dusk Golem and found its way onto the internet. It didn't show up at Gamescom, the State of Play or TGS. This is a first party SIE game being made by Arrowhead and Sony typically reveals their games at a showcase with very few exceptions (ie. Horizon CotM and TLOU Part 1). This could indicate the trailer was made for an upcoming showcase

2. Yoshida has stated he expects the next FF16 trailer to come out in October. Sony obviously has strong ties ties to this game and it usually shows up at their events. This was recently reiterated by Yoshida.

3. PSVR2 is launching early 2023 and has yet to get a release date and price. So far they've been mirroring its info release pretty closely to the 2020 info release of the PS5, meaning a price/date at a showcase would be the next step, along with the rest of its launch lineup since all we've gotten so far are "sneak peaks".

4. Atlus has advised there will be no new game announcements at their concert in October. Some seem to believe this could mean a reveal at a PS showcase instead.

5. Kojima has been editing something lately. It wasn't something for Gamescom or TGS. It could maybe be related to his podcast? Or he could be editing a trailer for a PS Showcase. It would seem a bit early for him to be editing a trailer for TGA. We have a leak of Death Stranding 2 being a thing, and we know KojiPro are working on multiple projects, so this could be one of 'em.

6. Sony's about to end the marketing cycle for their last game announced back in 2020, and nothing else they've announced has a definitive release date (Spider-Man 2, Wolverine, Horizon CotM, TLOU MP). The pandemic pushed back their marketing/releases, so that's to be expected, but they'll have to get their next wave of marketing done sooner rather than later. Spider-Man 2 is launching in 2023 and so far we only have a teaser video from last years showcase, for example. We know that 2 unannounced live service games are going to launch this fiscal year (by March 31, 2023), and those haven't been revealed yet. Helldivers 2 s likely one of them, at least.

7. Precedent. Sony's held a September showcase the past 2 years, and while we got the September SoP, we haven't gotten their showcase yet. Holding a showcase in October would still fit the pattern.

8. Sony's first party content has been suspiciously absent from their June and September State of Plays, which almost entirely focused on third parties with only a couple of already announced first party games sprinkled in. The mere fact that they've held them back tells us that they're saving them for something, which would have to be a showcase. We know they've got over 25 titles in development so they could potentially have a LOT of titles to show us that're releasing in 2023 and 2024.

Can add Bend to the list too for the October event. (Shamelessly stolen from the previous page)

*looks around*

Also the two GAAS titles that were announced for release before the end of this current fiscal year, helldivers is one of them. We don’t know the other

vivftp

Can add Bend to the list too for the October event. (Shamelessly stolen from the previous page)

Well we know that Bend was working on a new Uncharted entry in collaboration with Naughty Dog up until early 2021 when they asked to work on their own original project. I guess it depends on what stage that project was at in early 2021. If pre-production had already been worked out and they were ready to jump into full production, then maybe that project could be ready by 2024 and they'd be ready to do an early teaser this year.

I'm gonna hold off on expecting anything from Bend this year, unless they decide to pull a Wolverine and announce the project early to get ahead of leaks and attract more talent to work on their game.

On a sidenote, I'm speculating that the Uncharted game that Bend is no longer working on got brought back in-house to Naughty Dog and now that TLOU Part 1 has shipped, Shaun Escayg will be heading up that game. Shaun was the director of UC Lost Legacy, and his return to Naughty Dog suspiciously happened just after Bend was taken off of the Uncharted game. I think they've been doing a year of pre-production on it while finishing up TLOU Part 1, and now they're free to move into full production on Uncharted. We know from Neil that ND are working on more projects than ever before, so I think we'll be seeing TLOU MP, Uncharted and the big new IP that Neil's working on. Some smaller projects too like TLOU2 Director's Cut which has been rumored.

vivftp

Also the two GAAS titles that were announced for release before the end of this current fiscal year, helldivers is one of them. We don’t know the other

Yup, that was in #6 :D

My guess is Helldivers 2 and TLOU MP. I think for TLOU MP they'll try to time it to come out closer to when the HBO series will drop, and they'll have a very short announce to release window, which is why we won't get more info until 2023.

nocsi

*looks around*

So Atlus dumped Persona 3/4/5 onto all the platforms only to turn around and announce Persona 6 (exclusive?) to PS5? Typical Atlus, knows how to ruffle people's feathers

Yup, that was in #6 :D

My guess is Helldivers 2 and TLOU MP. I think for TLOU MP they'll try to time it to come out closer to when the HBO series will drop, and they'll have a very short announce to release window, which is why we won't get more info until 2023.

TLOU MP, PSVR2, Helldivers 2, Forspoken, FF16, and Spider-man 2 would be a pretty good year for PS5, all next gen games too.

ZehDon

It depends if you can take the loss, they’re very likely seeing increased costs in all their hardware segments. MS aren’t as invested in hardware so they aren’t as affected by the component supply issues, plus they’re awfully rich.
Sony could’ve timed it better though, should’ve released a new revision with a bigger SSD and new design or something.
As some have pointed out, Sony are currently seeing record profits. The PS5 has also undergone at two heat-sink revisions to decrease the manufacturing cost. That they only increased the price in certain regions tells me it was all about maintaining that record profit and not about Sony being unable to absorb it. Sony wanted to offset maintaining the hardware cost in their - and their competitor's - biggest region by charging their smaller regions more, effectively balancing it out. Meanwhile, literally everyone else just absorbed the cost across the board. Sony is taking advantage of its industry leading position - it doesn't have to absorb the cost, so it won't, it'll just charge certain consumers more and continue posting record profits.

bitbydeath

Gold Member
Well we know that Bend was working on a new Uncharted entry in collaboration with Naughty Dog up until early 2021 when they asked to work on their own original project. I guess it depends on what stage that project was at in early 2021. If pre-production had already been worked out and they were ready to jump into full production, then maybe that project could be ready by 2024 and they'd be ready to do an early teaser this year.

I'm gonna hold off on expecting anything from Bend this year, unless they decide to pull a Wolverine and announce the project early to get ahead of leaks and attract more talent to work on their game.

On a sidenote, I'm speculating that the Uncharted game that Bend is no longer working on got brought back in-house to Naughty Dog and now that TLOU Part 1 has shipped, Shaun Escayg will be heading up that game. Shaun was the director of UC Lost Legacy, and his return to Naughty Dog suspiciously happened just after Bend was taken off of the Uncharted game. I think they've been doing a year of pre-production on it while finishing up TLOU Part 1, and now they're free to move into full production on Uncharted. We know from Neil that ND are working on more projects than ever before, so I think we'll be seeing TLOU MP, Uncharted and the big new IP that Neil's working on. Some smaller projects too like TLOU2 Director's Cut which has been rumored.
We know they started working on a new open world game back in 2019.

https://twistedvoxel.com/sony-bend-studio-next-project/

Last year we found out it has vehicles.

https://www.psu.com/news/sony-bends-new-game-features-vehicles-and-open-world-reveals-job-listing/

Last edited:

vivftp

So Atlus dumped Persona 3/4/5 onto all the platforms only to turn around and announce Persona 6 (exclusive?) to PS5? Typical Atlus, knows how to ruffle people's feathers

No one said anything about Persona 6 being an exclusive (timed or otherwise), but it's certainly not outside the realm of possibility. Even if it's multi-platform at launch Sony could have still secured an announcement at their showase much like they've secured announcements of plenty of other third party titles for their SOP's this year.

TLOU MP, PSVR2, Helldivers 2, Forspoken, FF16, and Spider-man 2 would be a pretty good year for PS5, all next gen games too.

Add to that the entire PSVR2 launch lineup and whatever else releases throughout 2023.

Since TLOU2 Director's Cut is rumored I would guess that could release next year as well to get ahead of the second season of the TLOU HBO series.

FF7 Rebirth has a very slim chance of making it to 2023, but even if it doesn't it should launch in FY23

All of that is before we even have a showcase to see what else they've got to reveal. 2023's gonna be a huge year for SIE. Couple that with more PlayStation Production projects and possibly shipping upwards of ~30 million PS5's (if rumors are to be believed) then it could be a monster of a year.

nocsi

No one said anything about Persona 6 being an exclusive (timed or otherwise), but it's certainly not outside the realm of possibility. Even if it's multi-platform at launch Sony could have still secured an announcement at their showase much like they've secured announcements of plenty of other third party titles for their SOP's this year.

Add to that the entire PSVR2 launch lineup and whatever else releases throughout 2023.

Since TLOU2 Director's Cut is rumored I would guess that could release next year as well to get ahead of the second season of the TLOU HBO series.

FF7 Rebirth has a very slim chance of making it to 2023, but even if it doesn't it should launch in FY23

All of that is before we even have a showcase to see what else they've got to reveal. 2023's gonna be a huge year for SIE. Couple that with more PlayStation Production projects and possibly shipping upwards of ~30 million PS5's (if rumors are to be believed) then it could be a monster of a year.
I don't think this would be like the Microsoft announcement where Persona 3/4/5 multiplatform was announced and it turns out its coming to Switch/PS5 as well. No one said anything about Persona 6 being exclusive cause its not even announced yet, but it's an implied thing given its history on the platform. I'm guessing timed exclusive until it hits other platforms

LordCBH

Hello, my name is Jim Sony. It is with great regert that I inform you all that the upcoming showcase has been delayed to 2/31/2023. Thank you for your patience. Please be excited.
Thanks for the money,
Jim Sony

I'd love to see more stuff too but if they don't have enough content ready to show yet what's the point of having a showcase?

I'd love to see more stuff too but if they don't have enough content ready to show yet what's the point of having a showcase?

Who knows what they have ready? No one knew they were making Rise of The Ronin and people swore for months that god of war ragnarok wasn’t gonna make 2022.

No one really has a clue as to what goes on at Sony. They could announce a showcase tomorrow with a bunch of new games and no one would have known. Even the Snitch was wrong about the last State of Play being only japanese indies.

No hints about Tekken 8, Ishin, Rise of Ronin, Stellar Blade, or a GoW trailer (until SMS started tweeting it and even then people still doubt it was gonna be shown”

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
2019 they were working on a days gone 2 pitch which was rejected after 6 months.

they spent all of 2020 working on an Uncharted pitch which got so much meddling from ND that they said fuck it and cancelled it. The only moved to their new IP last year in March.

EyhwkN_WYAANsy5

I would not expect anything from Bend in just 1.5 years of dev time when SSM, GG, ND, KojiPro have literally taken years for the new IPs with no reveal. Hell, even Sucker Punch started dev on their next game in July of 2020, a good 9 months before Bend moved on to the new IP pitch. BP released DS remake in November of 2020 so even they are due before Bend. The studio is also much smaller compared to all the other Sony studios.

Look, we expected a bunch of Sony games last year. They have been hiring all these MP devs for years and we got nothing except for a Spiderman teaser and literally a CG reveal for Wolverine from the only studio thats been productive this gen. Everyone else was just wasting time making cross gen games that clearly took resources away from the new next gen IPs. Does anyone really believe that Cory who left GOW to work on a new IP in 2018 has a big enough team to do anything productive when they are struggling to launch this game on time? a year long delay likely means everyone from Corys team was pulled into the GOW team. Thats the only explanation for why we havent seen even a reveal of his game that started dev 4.5 years ago. The same amount of time it took him to develop AND release the GOW remake.

Just be glad if we get a MGS remake announcement from BP, some gameplay teaser for Wolverine, and a spiderman 2 gameplay demo. ND has already punted Factions reveal to next year. SSM is too busy with GOW to work on a reveal for Corys new IP and GG just got done with HFW and are wasting more time working on cross gen DLC for some bizarre reason. If there is an october show then only BP and Insomniac are going to be there with next gen games. Maybe Sucker Punch but they also took 6 years to launch GoT so they are just as slow as Bend, SSM, GG, PD and CD project.

bitbydeath

Gold Member
2019 they were working on a days gone 2 pitch which was rejected after 6 months.

they spent all of 2020 working on an Uncharted pitch which got so much meddling from ND that they said fuck it and cancelled it. The only moved to their new IP last year in March.

EyhwkN_WYAANsy5

I would not expect anything from Bend in just 1.5 years of dev time when SSM, GG, ND, KojiPro have literally taken years for the new IPs with no reveal. Hell, even Sucker Punch started dev on their next game in July of 2020, a good 9 months before Bend moved on to the new IP pitch. BP released DS remake in November of 2020 so even they are due before Bend. The studio is also much smaller compared to all the other Sony studios.

Look, we expected a bunch of Sony games last year. They have been hiring all these MP devs for years and we got nothing except for a Spiderman teaser and literally a CG reveal for Wolverine from the only studio thats been productive this gen. Everyone else was just wasting time making cross gen games that clearly took resources away from the new next gen IPs. Does anyone really believe that Cory who left GOW to work on a new IP in 2018 has a big enough team to do anything productive when they are struggling to launch this game on time? a year long delay likely means everyone from Corys team was pulled into the GOW team. Thats the only explanation for why we havent seen even a reveal of his game that started dev 4.5 years ago. The same amount of time it took him to develop AND release the GOW remake.

Just be glad if we get a MGS remake announcement from BP, some gameplay teaser for Wolverine, and a spiderman 2 gameplay demo. ND has already punted Factions reveal to next year. SSM is too busy with GOW to work on a reveal for Corys new IP and GG just got done with HFW and are wasting more time working on cross gen DLC for some bizarre reason. If there is an october show then only BP and Insomniac are going to be there with next gen games. Maybe Sucker Punch but they also took 6 years to launch GoT so they are just as slow as Bend, SSM, GG, PD and CD project.
I wouldn’t trust the rumours, the job advertisements are the real deal.

NeoLed

Is showcase really important for our enjoyment of gaming? I don't remember seeing any showcases on PS2 & PS3 generations. And PS2 was lauded as the golden gen

Matsuchezz

Sony does not need any show case. They keep releasing great games I want to play. My mind is set to not expect any show from them but maybe a reveal at the games awards and that is it! I just hope it is a cool game.

Sony does not need any show case. They keep releasing great games I want to play. My mind is set to not expect any show from them but maybe a reveal at the games awards and that is it! I just hope it is a cool game.

I just cant see sony not officially unveiling its 2023 or any parts of its 2024 line up this year. Its almost like they have an obligation to have a pipeline for the upcoming year to talk about. When they talk to investors they aren’t just gonna be like yeah, so for 2023 we don’t really know what we’re doing yet, but i think we got some games to port.

Like naw they are gonna have to eventually announce a line up of games even targeting fiscal year 2023 so that they can tell investors how they’re planning on generating revenue.

I also just don’t see them doing a big gaming showcase in the beginning of the year, no one does that. If its not this month its next fall again

I also wouldn’t be mad if they just stuck with the SoP naming if they’re all as good as the past two have been. Give me 20 good minutes of first party and big 3rd party titles and im satisfied. I dont need a whole big long show filled with stuff like rainbow six and radio head exhibit.

Announce two or 3 GAAS/multiplayer titles, new spider-man 2 trailer, FF16, like 3 more first party titles, and a few more 3rd party titles like some new high budget indies from Annapurna or Devolver and a release date for Little Devil Inside. Oh, and the PSVR2 date and price and line up

Last edited:

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Is showcase really important for our enjoyment of gaming? I don't remember seeing any showcases on PS2 & PS3 generations. And PS2 was lauded as the golden gen
That's because we had E3, GC &TGS every year
And then Playstation Meeting was added to the mix
Now we have State of Play and random PC announcements

Last edited:

vivftp

I think we’ll 100% get some type of showcase this month. They need to announce the price of PSVR2 and I’d be surprised if they do it via a tweet.

Yup, they've been pacing the info release of PSVR2 to match the release of info with the PS5 back in 2020. We got the CES reveal, a spec/appearance reveal after, some games in the Summer and the next step is a Fall reveal at a showcase. No doubt PSVR2 was originally meant to launch holiday 2022, but got pushed back due to pandemic delays on the hardware and/or software.

If Sony are aiming to ship record consoles and record VR headset numbers next year (record for Sony) then you can bet your ass they're gonna begin the next wave of marketing for their games sooner rather than later now that God of War is about to drop. PSVR2 pre-orders need to begin, and they want that marketing buzz about their lineup to be on everyones mind as they continue to ramp up console production and begin to flood the market.

So October 6, 13, 20 or 27th are the dates to keep an eye on. We can likely rule out the 6th as they seem to like giving a weeks heads-up on bigger events. The 13th gets my vote.

Top Bottom