• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Where's the Kena marketing? Its out in 2 days.

Extending video game review embargo's citing "spoilers" doesn't sit right with me at all. Geez huge movies have critic screenings, fan screenings well in advance. Just shows a lack of confidence in the game. But let's see! Maybe it will review well!

Push Square said they received review copies today. Maybe the game is 4-6 hours long, which is fine.

I saw one YouTuber mention that the game was 8-10 hours to complete the story but double that if you do all the side-quests and take time to explore. It's a linear game and NOT open world (thank goodness!) but the level design is "wide" so there's things to discover, including 100 different Rots (the cute little black creatures that assist Kena during combat).

I've no idea where people have got this 2-6 hours game length from?

Personally, I am very much looking forward to this as it is exactly the kind of thing that I enjoy: a third-person narrative-focused exploration/combat game with some light puzzles and an immersive, beautiful world to experience. Looks very promising. I've already pre-loaded the PS4 and PS5 versions on my PS5 (the PS4 version is just to see how it compares with the current gen version before I uninstall it). I bought Lost in Random over the weekend on PS5, another low-key Indie game with zero promotion that cost just £24.99 and that game is excellent so far. I'm hoping that Kena: Bridge of Spirits is of a similar quality to that game.

Last edited:

zkorejo

I will be looking out for the reviews. This game grabbed my attention from the very first reveal trailer. I really hope it's good.

Withnail

It was a mistake for the maker's of Kena not to release a physical version at launch. It sends a message that the game isn't worthy of one.

Yes because I'm sure there's a queue of people offering to give this unproven indie dev $1M to do a print run lol

Championed during the list wars for first year releases it was counted as a first party game.
Now that it might struggle on metacritic they're dropping it faster than a hot potato.
😂
I might pick it up when it hits $10 AUD.

Last edited:

Withnail

But what about all those other unproven indie devs who have physical copies of their games released though?
Which ones? Genuine question. As an indie dev you either sell the rights to the game to a publisher (if you can find one who believes in the game) or you do something like Limited Run Games where you take payment in advance. This is self-published and I'm pretty sure they don't have the capital for print run.

PJX

Which ones? Genuine question. As an indie dev you either sell the rights to the game to a publisher (if you can find one who believes in the game) or you do something like Limited Run Games where you take payment in advance. This is self-published and I'm pretty sure they don't have the capital for print run.
Monster Crown by Studio Aurum
Kaze and the Wild Mask by PixelHive
Blasphemous by The Game Kitchen

Just to name a few. Those three were unproven studios who had physical copies of their game printed. There are more but at the moment they don't come to mind.

SkylineRKR

Championed during the list wars for first year releases it was counted as a first party game.
Now that it might struggle on metacritic they're dropping it faster than a hot potato.
😂
I might pick it up when it hits $10 AUD.

To be fair I dropped it when it was delayed the first time. It looked like a decent little game when the PS5 was just out but I had my fix with Psychonauts 2 and have yet to play Rift Apart. I doubt Kena is as good as those.

Arun1910

Looks very charming.
This is why I'll pick it up regardless for the £33 price point.

I love the aesthetic, it looks charming, combat looks decent enough, world looks nice to explore. As long as the story is good no matter how short then I'll know I'll have a good Time. Its nice to have a break from 15+ or even 100+ hour experiences sometimes.

DonJorginho

Banned
This debunks the complete falsehood that keys were not going out until today.
This is the tribeca preview build, this is what all the journos played for their previews.

Review codes have been going out for weeks, Gene Park was asked by the devs if he wanted one 2 weeks back.

Saber

Gold Member
I don't remember the last time this game was showed. If it wasn't for this thread I wouldn't even know it will release soon. Tbh, I didn't even knew it was an indie.

Never though this was going to be a big deal and the visuals didn't catch me at all(kinda goofy and Disney style if I remember right). I remember saying would give a chance once they showed more gameplay videos...but since then nothing. I'm still unnconvinced this has any worth value to me.

Last edited:

Banjo64

cumsessed

8-10 hours to finish. 12 to 100%

Sounds good to me. Way better than Deathloop.

AptRigidAvians-max-1mb.gif

I am baffled as to why there is so little promotion for this game? It is genuinely astounding that this game is hours away from release yet none of the major sites have even previewed it!

Are the publishers to blame for this? Epic?

How can you expect a game to sell if there is no pre-release build up for the game?

I do not believe the lack of interest is due to the quality of the game either as this looks really promising from what little footage I've been able to find on YouTube (which is where I would have expected there to have been a lot of pre-release coverage but, nope, there is barely anything and most sites have been recycling the same footage as others).

engstra

I feel like people on here have way too high expectations from this game. Don't get me wrong I'm excited to check it out but we know that it's going to be a smaller experience which is reflected in its price. Why would they need to market the game? It's already been shown in a few showcases etc. I was good with the first showing, didn't need to see more.

skit_data

I feel like people on here have way too high expectations from this game. Don't get me wrong I'm excited to check it out but we know that it's going to be a smaller experience which is reflected in its price. Why would they need to market the game? It's already been shown in a few showcases etc. I was good with the first showing, didn't need to see more.
I agree to an extent. I see people hyping this up a bit much. I think it might be a good game, and it looks very nice visually but it’s not like the second coming of Christ or something. It’s a third party indie game with a semi PS exclusivity deal. That’s all.

Last edited:

Arun1910

Really? Way too high? The majority of people here seem to think High 70's or low 80s. That seems completely reasonable to me.

Why would they need to Market... uh, to sell? It's been pretty under the radar since the delay, so whether you're good with the first showing or not, the marketing has slowed down and could impact the game.

That said, it is a small indie studio so it's not like they'd go all out anyway.

engstra

Really? Way too high? The majority of people here seem to think High 70's or low 80s. That seems completely reasonable to me.

Why would they need to Market... uh, to sell? It's been pretty under the radar since the delay, so whether you're good with the first showing or not, the marketing has slowed down and could impact the game.

That said, it is a small indie studio so it's not like they'd go all out anyway.
I didn't mean in terms of rating, rather what people's expectations of what the game is. Quite a few people in this thread have already reacted to talk of the game being a shorter experience. When the game was first shown people were portraying it as a big exclusive and system seller.
The game looks neat and I'll be picking it up but it's hard to argue that the game is that.

Arun1910

I didn't mean in terms of rating, rather what people's expectations of what the game is. Quite a few people in this thread have already reacted to talk of the game being a shorter experience. When the game was first shown people were portraying it as a big exclusive and system seller.
The game looks neat and I'll be picking it up but it's hard to argue that the game is that.
I just took those people as Trolls, not sure why anyone would have thought it was a System Seller to be honest, not to say it's bad, but it's not like it's out to do anything nuts.

Withnail

Monster Crown by Studio Aurum
Kaze and the Wild Mask by PixelHive
Blasphemous by The Game Kitchen

Just to name a few. Those three were unproven studios who had physical copies of their game printed. There are more but at the moment they don't come to mind.

All three of those have third party publishers, which was the original point. Publishing a physical copy requires a large amount of up-front capital which isn't available to most indies.

Anyway Kena is now getting a physical version published by Maximum Games.

M.W.

From a tweet posted earlier today

I'm playing #KenaBridgeofSpirits! Here are my first impressions:

- Best indie ever produced in history (at least for me);
- Stunning visuals;
- BRUTAL use of the SSD;
- Fabulous soundtrack;
- Super fluid combat and gameplay;
- Pixar movie level title

Last edited:
Top Bottom