• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Which 2020 games do you plan on going in blind (i.e. media blackout)

Kazza

While it's great having sites like Gaf and Youtube providing all the information one could possibly need, there's something to be said for trying to avoid all pre-release information and game footage in order to really experience everything for the first time first hand. Gaffers of a certain vintage will remember this as the norm, with the only information available about a game being that gleamed from a few blurry screenshots, a two page magazine review, or a glance at the back of the box. While this could lead to some unwise purchases (I'm sure all of us have a story to tell), you can't deny that there was something special about sticking in your cartridge and experiencing the gameplay and music for the very first time.

One of the best gaming memories I have is plugging the first Sonic into my Megadrive and playing through Green Hill Zone for the very first time. Sure, there was a lot of pre-release magazine hype for the game, but that was mere blurry photos and text. Actually seeing it in action for the very first time on my own console was something else altogether! Other memories including hearing that great Yuzo Koshiro soundtrack for the first time at the Streets of Rage opening titles screen and getting my head hacked off by that chainsaw bloke in Resident Evil 4 (I was trying to conserve ammo by only using the pistol and knife - what a mistake that was, that dude needs a sniper or shotgun bullet to the head!).

green-hill-zone-gif-3.gif
resident-evil-4-gif-7.gif
giphy.gif

For 2020, I'm going to try to avoid any more news and footage of Cyberpunk 2077 and Streets of Rage 4. I've seen enough of both already and trust the devs enough to be confident of them both being great games. While it's true that SoR4 isn't exactly a story-based game with spoilers to avoid, I still want my first experience of listening to the music and seeing the new levels to be when I actually sit down to play the game.

Of course, getting hyped and soaking up all the pre-release info you can is a whole other pleasure in and of itself, and I will be doing exactly that with all my other anticipated releases for the year, but I think it's always good to reserve one or two games for experiencing fresh and first hand.

Anyone else have similar plans for this year?

Last edited:

Vawn

Banned
I'll look at final scores, but I won't read impressions beyond that for certain games that I know I'll buy day one no matter what. Right now those games are Final Fantasy VII and Resident Evil 3.

There's others I would be shocked if they got bad review, but if for some insane reason they actually turned out poor, I guess I wouldn't bother. Stuff like Cyberpunk and Breath of the Wild 2.

Last edited:

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Gamers kinda do research, hardcore gamers put games that want on their radar and concentrate on their favorites.

Ghosts of Tsushima. I've seen enough to know I want to play it. I'm not paying very close attention to the other games coming out this year so it's difficult to say what else might qualify, but definitely Ghost of Tsushima.

Kazza

Right now those games are Final Fantasy VII and Resident Evil 3.

With REmake 2 being so good, I can't imagine them dropping the ball with 3 (unless they decide to put their C Team on the job while their A team works on RE8). FF7 is a little bit more risky imo, as it hasn't had the smoothest of developments.

Kazza

Ghosts of Tsushima. I've seen enough to know I want to play it. I'm not paying very close attention to the other games coming out this year so it's difficult to say what else might qualify, but definitely Ghost of Tsushima.

That looks amazing, and it would be on my list too, if I had actually had a PS4 :lollipop_sad_relieved:. Since any PC releasewould be at least a couple of years away (if at all), I'll probably have to experience the game via Youtube videos (unless Sony puts the PS4 on sale for $150 at some point).

Kazza

All games on Gamepass I play blind and so far I am very pleasantly surprised by what I have played

I've been doing that with a lot of my Humble Bundle indie games. They're often games that I have never heard of and would never have thought of buying, so it's a pleasant surprise when one of two turn out to be really good.

I've been doing that with a lot of my Humble Bundle indie games. They're often games that I have never heard of and would never have thought of buying, so it's a pleasant surprise when one of two turn out to be really good.

Operencia : the fallen sun, is the game that has surprised me the most. Very charming, very fun and full of well-thought out puzzles.

I'll fondly remember that game for the rest of my memory.

Kazza

Operencia : the fallen sun, is the game that has surprised me the most. Very charming, very fun and full of well-thought out puzzles.

I'll fondly remember that game for the rest of my memory.

Looks like it's coming to Steam later this year, I might give it a try.

I used to think that having so many Humble Bundle games would just clog up the backlog, but now I reserve one day a month just to try them all out for at least half an hour. If I don't like them then fine, as far as I'm concerned that 30 minutes deletes them from the backlog, plus there are always one or two which come up trumps.

RE3. Never played the og and the only thing I know about it is that there is a thing called nemesis. Loved the 2nd one from last year and this will probably be the only new game I get this year.

Pejo

Gold Member
Nioh 2 and Elden Ring probably. I'm really looking forward to Ori too, but it's more of a visual storytelling style so going in blind isn't really a big deal. I do like being surprised by set pieces though, so probably won't read too much on it to be safe.

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
Once I'm sold on a game, I don't watch/read anything other than maybe a pre-release hype trailer.

For 2020, that means Doom, Ori, Elden Ring, RE3, Cyberpunk, The Last of Us 2, Ghost of Tsushima and Dying Light 2 (hopefully).

Last edited:

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
Elden Ring (if that’s 2020). I’d rather hide in a cave than watch a review.

I think anything I’ve already preordered. NiOh 2 and etc. I hate the “critic” perspective sometimes. It makes me feel like we have started from Step 1 or that we are all novices.

I’m hyped for RE3R, FF7R, DOOM Eternal, and etc. I don’t need a critic number or opinion. I’ve already played and considered what my pros/cons are. I consider reviews to either add to my excitement or take my joy away.

How many times can you consider what another person says when you’re excited for something? If you know what you want then get it.

You know what sucks? Seeing a bunch of stuff or hearing it like i just woke up from a deep sleep. I don’t have to know everything for RE3. The new stuff is why I’m buying it too. I know what was there over 15 years ago. The new stuff is what I want to see. Not from some media outlet.

Last edited:

Bkdk

It will be some games that I don’t really care too much but on my list to buy to try when on sale: Yakuza: like a dragon, elden ring, romance of three kingdoms 14, YS IX.

I'm avoiding Doom Eternal and RE3 to go in fresh as possible. I'll also avoid BotW2 assuming it comes out this year. Might stay away from No More Heroes 3 as well, don't want my Suda dick jokes spoiled for me in a trailer.

lachesis

Last of us 2, Re3 and FF7 definitely. Persona 5S and Animal Crossing most likely. And probably Shenmue 3 DLC too.

Banned
almost every game. everyone should do that honestly, games are way more fun that way. If you can easily judge which games you will absolutely like then don't watch anything more about them than you absolutely have to.

I watch maybe 1 trailer and tiny snipits of gameplay, that's it.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
For now RE3remake, just like I do with most survival horror games. With FFVIIRemake I still need to see how the combat works as for Last of Us 2 and Ghost of Tsushima, I need to some decent length pure gameplay footage before going media blackout.

Might stay away from No More Heroes 3
I need to do that as well, I never got the chance to play first two games I'm still hoping in upcoming direct they announce the port for Switch before 3rd game comes out.

jts

...hate me...
Just Animal Crossing so far. 3DS version is my most played game on that console by far so yeah. No need for more info or footage just want the release.

Final Fantasy VII! ... Oh wait, I played through this a couple of times already 😐

I won't read any reviews of TLoU 2 for sure... Nor anything else really, not even here, so if you want to spoil me just put something in the title of your threads!

I bet this time Joel will say "you know Ellie we really are the last of us".

Joe T.

giphy.gif

FFVII Remake and Halo Infinite are as close as I get to sight unseen purchases, but both studios have trampled on my trust/expectations.

Even Grand Theft Auto is no longer a sure thing for me and Rockstar's work on that franchise has my utmost admiration, not that VI is going to land this year anyway.

kiphalfton

Dragon Ball Z Kakarot

I am not going in completely blind, since I've watched a couple game trailers... but nothing watching the show will have already spoiled.

Try to avoid reviews too.

Top Bottom