• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Which console is better with VRR support?

Elginer

I own both a series X and PS5 and am upgrading to a MiniLED set that supports 2.1 features like 120hz and VRR but I only will have one input free for a console on that port (using the other for e-arc). Which console would you use for that input? Opinions and thoughts are appreciated.

Bojji

I own both a series X and PS5 and am upgrading to a MiniLED set that supports 2.1 features like 120hz and VRR but I only will have one input free for a console on that port (using the other for e-arc). Which console would you use for that input? Opinions and thoughts are appreciated.

You should buy something like this:

51d4cV02TnL._AC_UF1000,1000_QL80_.jpg

You want VRR and 120Hz support on both machines. But answering your question: Xbox has better VRR support with more range (40-120 while PS5 has 48-120) and Fressync and low framerate compensation but PS5 support is better than nothing and fixes framedrops in most games, 120Hz support allows to use high framerate modes and 40FPS modes.

Banjo64

cumsessed
From what I’ve briefly seen without looking too much in to it, Xbox has better implementation.

Whichever console has better games should go into the 2.1 port. The difference in multiplats will very rarely be decided by the tiny difference to VRR.

Bojji

Whichever console has better games should go into the 2.1 port. The difference in multiplats will very rarely be decided by the tiny difference to VRR.

It can change a lot of things, if game drops below 48FPS Xbox will still be "smooth" (without frametime stuttering) while PS5 will change to fixed refresh. That's why at this point Elden Ring for example is better on Xbox, it always runs in VRR window and even if it drops below 40FPS in 120Hz mode (console output) LFC will double frames and final result will still be acceptable. PS5 version OTOH runs fine most of the time but it can go outside VRR range in some locations.

Elginer

I use the Xbox mostly for multiplats and PlayStation for exclusives and RPGs. These splitters any good? Is it powered or is it like I had a crappy one with an actual switch I had to press.

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
You should buy something like this:

51d4cV02TnL._AC_UF1000,1000_QL80_.jpg

You want VRR and 120Hz support on both machines. But answering your question: Xbox has better VRR support with more range (40-120 while PS5 has 48-120) and Fressync and low framerate compensation but PS5 support is better than nothing and fixes framedrops in most games, 120Hz support allows to use high framerate modes and 40FPS modes.
It really triggers me that they are trying to plug those cables in upside down.

Banned
on xbox you can force 120hz on everything, which means your VRR window will go all the way down to 20fps.

playing Elden Ring on Xbox SX vs PS5 for example makes this ability stand out a lot.
on Xbox you will have a mostly smooth experience, while on PS5 you will have constant stutters.

the Series X also supports Freesync Premium which if your TV supports it can go down to 40hz, while the PS5 only supports VRR down to 48hz.

so even at 60hz, if you have the right TV, the Xbox's VRR is better

Last edited:

Bojji

I use the Xbox mostly for multiplats and PlayStation for exclusives and RPGs. These splitters any good? Is it powered or is it like I had a crappy one with an actual switch I had to press.

Right now i have one very close to what i found on Amazon (picture), it has USB cable to power it up (plugged into tv), it works flawlessly BUT i have to switch connections using button on the device. I had multi HDMI splitter that was detecting and switching inputs automatically (and with pilot!) but it was only HDMI 2.0 so useless for current gen machines.

It really triggers me that they are trying to plug those cables in upside down.

Hahaha, so typical 🤦

Last edited:

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Xbox's VRR is quote unquote better because it has a bigger range (40hz vs 48hz threshold on PS5)

gothmog

Gold Member
They both work well enough. The only crappy part is that you have to wait for things like DF analysis to know which one performs better. I was hoping that with VRR this wouldn't even be a concern.

Three

You might be better off plugging the PS5 into the HDMI2.1 port because the PS5 supports the 2.1 standard and range. Your TV might support 120hz freesync over your other ports. What TV do you have?

Last edited:

Banned
It's ~24hz on Xbox.

it is 20fps and 40hz

if you are set to 60hz, the lower end is 40fps if your TV supports it.
if you are set to 120hz. the lower end is 20fps... if your TV supports it.

if your TV only supports the now default 48hz to 60hz/120hz range, then the lower ends are 48fps and 24fps respectively.

FPS =/= hz

if your system is set to 120hz output, and the game runs at 35fps, your TV will run at 70hz (or 105hz if the game has a weird software based low framerate compensation, like Insomniac likes to use, that triples some frames instead of only doubling them)

Last edited:

analog_future

Resident Crybaby
it is 20fps and 40hz

if you are set to 60hz, the lower end is 40fps if your TV supports it.
if you are set to 120hz. the lower end is 20fps... if your TV supports it.

if your TV only supports the now default 48hz to 60hz/120hz range, then the lower ends are 48fps and 24fps respectively.

FPS =/= hz

if your system is set to 120hz output, and the game runs at 35fps, your TV will run at 70hz (or 105hz if the game has a weird software based low framerate compensation, like Insomniac likes to use, that triples some frames instead of only doubling them)

Yeah, I should’ve clarified that it uses LFC on a system level for as low as ~20fps VRR support whereas the PS5 does not support LFC on a system level so you’re stuck with a low end FPS that’s twice as high as Xbox.

It can change a lot of things, if game drops below 48FPS Xbox will still be "smooth" (without frametime stuttering) while PS5 will change to fixed refresh. That's why at this point Elden Ring for example is better on Xbox, it always runs in VRR window and even if it drops below 40FPS in 120Hz mode (console output) LFC will double frames and final result will still be acceptable. PS5 version OTOH runs fine most of the time but it can go outside VRR range in some locations.
Like I said. The number of games where that makes a difference is very few. I never notice a stutter in Elden Ring which holds over 48 almost continuously (ps4 version on PS5 locks 60). And Elden ring is a game that benefits greatly by the faster loading, and is better in other ways on the PS5.

Last edited:
Xbox 120 fps support is system level. On PS5 it's varies from game to game.

If your display supports 120 fps, you will benefit from low latency even if game is at 30 fps.

This is not strictly related to VRR, but good VRR is generally coupled with 120 fps.

Top Bottom