• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Which Final Fantasy Pixel Remasters game should I play?

The ones I haven't completed are: FFIII, FFV and FFVI. Which of these are you guys' favorites, and why? No spoilers, please.

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
All of those are good. V is my favorite of those, it has a really cool job system and a more lighthearted feel.

VI is excellent as well. Very story/character driven with a large cast of characters each with their own unique ability. Also god tier soundtrack.

III is good but really old school. Save that one for last.

I'm leaning towards VI right now. From what I understand (which might be completely off base) V has a better job system and customization, but is more of a grind, while VI has better character depth and development, along with a better story?

As far as III goes, I'm thinking of playing the DS version sometime down the road.

skit_data

I'm gonna dive into VI as I played it years ago and know it's great.
I've heard good things about IV too but haven't played it myself. Probably gonna buy the Pixel Remaster collection later this month because it's never going on sale anyway.

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
I'm leaning towards VI right now. From what I understand (which might be completely off base) V has a better job system and customization, but is more of a grind, while VI has better character depth and development, along with a better story?

As far as III goes, I'm thinking of playing the DS version sometime down the road.
I think that’s about right. VI was the game that made me fall in love with Final Fantasy back in the day. It felt so far ahead of the rest of the genre. Definitely the precursor to the “golden era” PSX JRPGs of the 90s. Very strong story, characters, and atmosphere.

V is more like a quirky under-appreciated gem with lots of OP character builds and ability combinations to experiment with and lots of replay value. Endearing cast of characters and plenty of comic relief.

Can’t go wrong either way, you should definitely play them both

Fuz

Banned
VI and it's not even close
Busch Beer GIF by Busch

I, II, III, IV, V and VI

Before I would not have recommended II, but I found the tweaks make it much more playable than before.

I think every Final Fantasy game is good to great with the exceptions of VIII and XV.

Last edited:
IV, consistently great game. Being a classic, there's stuff in it that in retrospect is quite tropey and cliche, but I don't think those things make it any less great.

V, godlike chemistry between the main characters, fun gameplay.
Must play.

VI, quite ambitious, full of content, and a must play.

I personally didn't like it, but beyond my personal experience, it's excellent, specially for its time.

fallingdove

VI is my favorite Final Fantasy game of all time but I was a little disappointed in the Pixel remaster. Tera’s marshmallows on a stick walking animation, the sprite size change from battle to non-battle, the decision to make the overworld mode 7 at all times, the 3D opera scene. VI felt like the least pure of the pixel remasters and my high expectations weren't met due to some of the changes/distractions.

4 is my recommendation. Square always seems to do a decent job with 4 remakes. For the most part, I liked what they did here.

mopspear

I wanted to mention that 1 and 3 stutter really badly on PC and Switch respectively, when walking (less so when running) but for whatever reason, I just got 4 on PS5 and while the scrolling isn't super smooth, it's consistent and doesn't drive me crazy.

Top Bottom