• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy VII Rebirth | Spoiler Thread

Just beat the game around 79 hr. (no side quest) while everything else is so good story telling is so confuse a lot like the original Remake with multiverse and whispers shit.

At least give me save between final boss fight, what a freaking non-stop, ch.13 is like never ending.

I dated with those 3 guys LOL.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Finished.
Loved it in the beginning, Disliked it in the end... even hated it. Switching to easy helped a bit. Some random thoughts:

Story:
-Multiverses bullshit. Aerith is dead.... but she isn't. They show you preventing her death, then they show her dead, then they show the whole team being sad, then they show aerith being there but only cloud sees her.... LIKE WTF. Way to ruin all the story impact.
-Zack part was good in the principle but it also makes no sense as above. He is Aeriths real boyfriend but from another dimmension.. but she remembers him from this one. Like what the hell.
-You have to fight sephiroth agian at the end. Just as in remake. huge 10 stage fight with phases and stupid forms sephiroth takes. All for nothing. You beat the shit out of him and you don't even get him "ouch I am out"... he laughs and goes away. The fight could just as well never happened.
-It should've been a retelling/remake. Not this bullshitification again. Holy hell... you killed whispers in remake and now there are 2 whispers. Good and bad. It's so obvious.
-Why is Cloud seeing aerith in the end?
-Why is her materia empty?
-Why does he have the black materia/sephiroth materia ?
-Why is Tifa sad ? Because aerith dies? Can't cloud tell her about multiverses ?!
-I understand they have to set up weapons but it should go somewhere.... next 4-5 years is a long wait

Gameplay:
-Normal is WAY too difficult near the end, in last 2 chapters. Especially when it comes to super sponge bosses. Easy is as it should be... easy. but there should be something inbetween.
-UI kinda sucks. Browsing through materia and spells suck.
-Parrying sucks ass. you either can't see when to parry or when you click the parry button, nothing happens. you are animation locked most of time. And if you miss your parry, bosses can lock you in 10 hit stun.
-Repetitive open worlds. I welcomed grasslands, junon and so on but it started to get very repetitive and tiring in Coral. I was skipping stuff later
-Mini games galore. Costa del sol is minigames relax time... but you go to mini-games relax time again right after in golden saucer... and again...

Graphics/music:
-Good graphics, great art. The CGI at the end and bits in the middle show you how far we have to go.
-Music is fantastic although Remake had more memorable tracks obviously. They go a bit overboard with everything in rebirth

In summary. Too long, too bloated, story is a bs mess and that would be fine but it absolutely ruins it and all the subtlety. Nothing has any impact now. Best emotional moment for me was seeing Barret crying after him seeing Jessie play. Short, tiny moment showing him holding his hand over his eyes and sapping. THAT WAS GREAT and I had a tear too. But Aerith "death" didn't do anything for me. I liked Zack parts too with somber music and apocalypse doom and gloom... untile they showed that there are TON of universes... eh... one would be more than enough. Focus on uniting the team!

In comparison to other recent FF:
-XV - Story had poor pacing and tumbled along the way but I loved the characters, I grew attached to them, to the world and the ending was amazing. Simply amazing.
-Remake - story was fantastic and simple as it should be minus the flashbacks and terrible "universe ending" fight again.
-FF16 - consistent. We get a fresh playing field, establish rules of the world and don't break em! We have powers, we fight against huge enemy, the ending is earned. Leaves one question open which is good. ONE quesiton. that's good.
and rebirth is overbloated nostalgia trip that plays on nostalgia emptions, bullshitifies the story and ultimately, destroys it

Belthazar

I kinda liked the ending and how they handled it in how it kept me guessing almost up to the very end if Aerith died or not. It did kinda diminish the impact of her death when you figure it out tho, but it was still very well done and the last battle being just Cloud and get was a nice send-off. I also like the implication that Cloud is getting even more

I'll take a break before going after Gilgamesh and finishing the combat simulator, 88 hours was a lot and I'm kinda tired of it. Will play something shorter and very different to palate cleanse.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
-It should've been a retelling/remake. Not this bullshitification again.
Hard disagree here. I know I might be in the minority, but I liked the fact that Remake and Rebirth were essentially a 90% retelling/remake with 10% new story stuff ("bullshitification", I guess). I like that Remake / Rebirth writers know that the majority of their players will have played the original game, and that these entries expand on the universe instead of just telling the exact same story we've played dozens of times.

Yes, it made Aerith's death not as impactful as the original game - but we all knew it was coming anyway, it was never going to have the same impact as it did the first time we played the game on the PS1. Now, we maybe get to see more of her in the next game - which is great because we've all been wondering for 27 years how cool it would be if Aerith survives (or could be resurrected). It also kept me guessing right up to the very end what was actually happening, something that would be impossible with a 1:1 remake.

I also hope that Zack comes back as a playable character / party member in part 3, which would also be literally impossible without said "bullshitification". He's a great character, and it was fun to follow his brief adventures in Midgar in this game. Having some of his signature Crisis Core moves in the final battle was dope as hell. I really like this take on the Zack / Cloud dynamic duo, and it really showcased how different their personalities are. All big fun.

Vincent wasn't even a playable character in this game, and he already had more story and personality than he did in the original game. Can't wait for more of that as well. This is also something that wouldn't exist in a 1:1 remake of the original.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Hard disagree here. I know I might be in the minority, but I liked the fact that Remake and Rebirth were essentially a 90% retelling/remake with 10% new story stuff ("bullshitification", I guess). I like that Remake / Rebirth writers know that the majority of their players will have played the original game, and that these entries expand on the universe instead of just telling the exact same story we've played dozens of times.

Yes, it made Aerith's death not as impactful as the original game - but we all knew it was coming anyway, it was never going to have the same impact as it did the first time we played the game on the PS1. Now, we maybe get to see more of her in the next game - which is great because we've all been wondering for 27 years how cool it would be if Aerith survives (or could be resurrected). It also kept me guessing right up to the very end what was actually happening, something that would be impossible with a 1:1 remake.

I also hope that Zack comes back as a playable character / party member in part 3, which would also be literally impossible without said "bullshitification". He's a great character, and it was fun to follow his brief adventures in Midgar in this game. Having some of his signature Crisis Core moves in the final battle was dope as hell. I really like this take on the Zack / Cloud dynamic duo, and it really showcased how different their personalities are. All big fun.

Vincent wasn't even a playable character in this game, and he already had more story and personality than he did in the original game. Can't wait for more of that as well. This is also something that wouldn't exist in a 1:1 remake of the original.
Zack parts were fantastic. Somber in tone and he is a cool character.
But as for the rest of your post, I also wanted it to be different at first but they went overboard. They kingdom hearted it man :p
Anyway. There is still ff16 for the likes of me. Complete, rather simple story but very impactful.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member

I used all his moves, limit, and synergy attacks just because it was such a short window of gameplay with him.

When Cloud hit the Masamune, that sorta killed any emotions for that particular scene. They showed blood and it was more confusing than anything else. I do wonder if Cloud could have kissed Aerith if he could fight with her. lol I don’t get what happen to the black materia when Cloud threw it on his sword. It just absorbed into it.

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
When Cloud hit the Masamune, that sorta killed any emotions for that particular scene. They showed blood and it was more confusing than anything else. I do wonder if Cloud could have kissed Aerith if he could fight with her. lol I don’t get what happen to the black materia when Cloud threw it on his sword. It just absorbed into it.
Pretty sure the materia is a reflection of Cloud's repressed emotions like pain, spite, resentment and rage. Pretty much inserted into the Sword. Sephiroth already has the Black Materia so now 2 actually exist. Wouldn't surprise me is Part 3 ends up using both to cancel each other out. Seph summons Meteor but Cloud also summons Meteor to collide with the other Meteor.

Of course this 2nd "Meteor" Materia could just be a way to explain Cloud being able to use Meteorain in Part 3. If he gets it at all.

As for the Masamune bit. Cloud created another timeline. And only he is able to see the results of that.

Madflavor

I always knew they were going to horribly botch her death scene. I just didn't know they were gonna do....that.

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
I always knew they were going to horribly botch her death scene. I just didn't know they were gonna do....that.
There is pretty much no emotional impact whatsoever with her death in this iteration IMO. Even if you ignore the button prompts the scene in Rebirth still plays out the same. The illusion of choice.

Much prefer Jenova's retort about the Promised Land and heading north and Cloud's anger over her death and the sense of grief he had on display before turning his rage on the Jenova fight shortly afterwards.

And there is no iconic Lake scene either where Aerith's body is taken by the lake. In the OG the party individually mourn her passing before the Lake scene commences. It's never really clear what Cloud does with the body.

What is clear is Cloud is kind of inbetween two realities. The rest of the party is not. It's similar how Branded from BERSERK could see demons and the supernatural when normal denizens could not. Unlike BERSERK though Cloud doesn't have some kind of curse that draws demons, monsters or spirits to him. Unless of course that's what will happen with the new Black Materia he has in his possession.

SCB3

There is still ff16 for the likes of me. Complete, rather simple story but very impactful.
Well most of it, I still never understood how Jill comes back at the end of that game when they made it seem like she died

Anyway I liked what they did with the ending, 27 years and we've all wanted to bring Aerith back to life for Disc 2 and 3, remember those Gameshark codes to do that?

I have a bit of side content to do over time I think, I did beat the game on Normal fairly easily but some of those side bosses are looking spicy

Mattdaddy

Gold Member
Man finally finished it last night, fantastic game what a ride. Im sad it's over.

Im not sure what to think about the ending. I hated it while it was happening because it was so fucking confusing.

Its like Cloud clearly parries Sephiroth's dive bomb. We see Masamune get deflected into the ground... then all of a sudden she's covered in blood and dead? But then theres no blood and Cloud is talking to her? But then there is blood again and shes dead. Then she's appearing helping with the final fight.

Just a whole lot of wtf. I felt like I should have been emotionally reacting to the story either way but had no idea how to react cause I had no clue what was going on.

Now that I've had time to digest it.... I hate it less. I probably need to watch a youtube video on it but my conclusion is that:

- In that whole final sequence Cloud is getting images/memories from all these different timelines that are occurring because they challenged fate or whatever. Which is why moment to moment it almost seems nonsensical.
- Cloud does parry Sephiroth and save Aerith in a certain timeline... but he's also seeing images from another timeline where Sephiroth kills her
- Aerith seems to be aware of the situation in all timelines, and gives Cloud the white materia from the doomed timeline to take back in the timeline we've been playing. (Still a little lost on why her materia lost its whiteness in the main timeline) (btw I did love that scene/shot in the church of her having a moment with Cloud then pushing him through the portal as Sephiroth enters the Church in the background).
- The Aerith from a timeline where she lives comes in to help Cloud in the final stand against Sephiroth (cause she says something like "I saw what you did back there, thank you." Referring to the fact Cloud saved her and allowed her to live in other realities.
- After the dust settles, we carry on the main game in a timeline where Sephiroth killed her... but because Cloud saved her in another timeline he's able to somehow communicate with her force ghost from that other timeline. But its only him and Aerith that can see each other. Although Red does seem to sense her also.

I mean... thats a lot of wtf. Not even sure if its correct that was just my take away 12 hours later.

Im trying to remember this is part 2 of 3 and theres still lots of story to tell. Maybe they can wrap it up and bring it home in a satisfactory way... but seems like they created kind of a narrative mess. I dont want to be confused and playing in multiple different timelines all throughout game 3 lol.

So I dunno. Ill give it 9/10. Phenomal game, loved it, loved the characters, loved the combat, loved the bikinis, loved story until the end.

-1 point for making me feel like I need to Youtube the ending and the Chicken coop rescue side mission. Worst side mission ever.

Last edited:
Man finally finished it last night, fantastic game what a ride. Im sad it's over.

Im not sure what to think about the ending. I hated it while it was happening because it was so fucking confusing.

Its like Cloud clearly parries Sephiroth's dive bomb. We see Masamune get deflected into the ground... then all of a sudden she's covered in blood and dead? But then theres no blood and Cloud is talking to her? But then there is blood again and shes dead. Then she's appearing helping with the final fight.

Just a whole lot of wtf. I felt like I should have been emotionally reacting to the story either way but had no idea how to react cause I had no clue what was going on.

Now that I've had time to digest it.... I hate it less. I probably need to watch a youtube video on it but my conclusion is that:

- In that whole final sequence Cloud is getting images/memories from all these different timelines that are occurring because they challenged fate or whatever. Which is why moment to moment it almost seems nonsensical.
- Cloud does parry Sephiroth and save Aerith in a certain timeline... but he's also seeing images from another timeline where Sephiroth kills her
- Aerith seems to be aware of the situation in all timelines, and gives Cloud the white materia from the doomed timeline to take back in the timeline we've been playing. (Still a little lost on why her materia lost its whiteness in the main timeline) (btw I did love that scene/shot in the church of her having a moment with Cloud then pushing him through the portal as Sephiroth enters the Church in the background).
- The Aerith from a timeline where she lives comes in to help Cloud in the final stand against Sephiroth (cause she says something like "I saw what you did back there, thank you." Referring to the fact Cloud saved her and allowed her to live in other realities.
- After the dust settles, we carry on the main game in a timeline where Sephiroth killed her... but because Cloud saved her in another timeline he's able to somehow communicate with her force ghost from that other timeline. But its only him and Aerith that can see each other. Although Red does seem to sense her also.

I mean... thats a lot of wtf. Not even sure if its correct that was just my take away 12 hours later.

Im trying to remember this is part 2 of 3 and theres still lots of story to tell. Maybe they can wrap it up and bring it home in a satisfactory way... but seems like they created kind of a narrative mess. I dont want to be confused and playing in multiple different timelines all throughout game 3 lol.

So I dunno. Ill give it 9/10. Phenomal game, loved it, loved the characters, loved the combat, loved the bikinis, loved story until the end.

-1 point for making me feel like I need to Youtube the ending and the Chicken coop rescue side mission. Worst side mission ever.
Lol.. the chicken side quest is god awful but I love the ending of it.

It's kinda complicated.

a-simple-chart-to-explain-what-happened-in-rebirth-v0-vze1w0ldtonc1.png
I looked at this and started to become physically nauseous.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
this encapsulates some of my feelings about the game

mini games, open world, all bloat.
Story? destroyed and rid of all the impact because of multiverses.
Combat? too much going on, it was simpler in remake and simpler is better.

Mattdaddy

Gold Member
I didn't mind the Ubisoft towers at first just because I was enjoying the gameplay a lot... but they definitely started to grate on me about the time I hit the Corel region. If I wasnt OCD about side content I would have started skipping it.

Would for sure love a little more variety/efficiency with the side content on the next one.

And I forgot to mention the Moogle houses or whatever. My god they turned those into weird teddy bear abominations with the most obnoxious side quests lol.

But still overall as just the sum of all its parts, this was highly enjoyable for me. I think my pros and cons for this would be very similar to FF16.

Great characters, fun combat, awesome world, great main story (up till the ending weirdness and multiverse confusion), all of which is strong enough to carry the came to greatness despite some pretty obnoxious side content at times.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
I didn't mind the Ubisoft towers at first just because I was enjoying the gameplay a lot... but they definitely started to grate on me about the time I hit the Corel region. If I wasnt OCD about side content I would have started skipping it.

Would for sure love a little more variety/efficiency with the side content on the next one.

And I forgot to mention the Moogle houses or whatever. My god they turned those into weird teddy bear abominations with the most obnoxious side quests lol.

But still overall as just the sum of all its parts, this was highly enjoyable for me. I think my pros and cons for this would be very similar to FF16.

Great characters, fun combat, awesome world, great main story (up till the ending weirdness and multiverse confusion), all of which is strong enough to carry the came to greatness despite some pretty obnoxious side content at times.
I think 16 is overall a better package. Still a bit bloated but overall better paced, better combat and better graphics.
Story is no contest since ff16 establishes the world, characters, the main plot and resolves everything. All in 50 hours.
Rebirth ruins good plot with multiverse crap and overbloats the game.

I mean, I sound too negative because I am disappointed. I honestly think XV and XVI got too much hate and rebirth is getting too much love. It's a good game but it bothers me what it did to story.
I finished it, it was not that bad... but I wished it finished hours earlier when it was still enjoyable.
Remake also botched the ending but for the most part it was more impactful than rebirth

Mattdaddy

Gold Member
I think 16 is overall a better package. Still a bit bloated but overall better paced, better combat and better graphics.
Story is no contest since ff16 establishes the world, characters, the main plot and resolves everything. All in 50 hours.
Rebirth ruins good plot with multiverse crap and overbloats the game.

I mean, I sound too negative because I am disappointed. I honestly think XV and XVI got too much hate and rebirth is getting too much love. It's a good game but it bothers me what it did to story.
I finished it, it was not that bad... but I wished it finished hours earlier when it was still enjoyable.
Remake also botched the ending but for the most part it was more impactful than rebirth

Yeah I thought 16 was awesome. I think it gets way too much hate. And plus it get bonus points for not requiring a wiki or a diagram to figure out whats happening lol.

Honestly 16 and Rebirth were probably my favorite 2 pieces of FF content since.... god I dont even know. A long time. I didnt hate 15 but for some reason it didnt really do much for me, it was just kinda there.

I think Rebirth is getting bonus points with me, just because its FF7. Which isnt fair, but that game just carries so much positive real estate in my gaming brain lol. It was just so much fun to get to run through that world again with those characters and a modern gaming facelift.

If I had never played the original and came in as a complete blank slate, I might be less forgiving on all the time warp alternate reality insanity.

I can overlook a lot of it for rebirth since it didnt really kick into overdrive until the very end... most of the game was pretty straightforward. But fuck me if we end up bouncing between multiple timelines a whole bunch in game 3 its gonna suck ass.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Yeah I thought 16 was awesome. I think it gets way too much hate. And plus it get bonus points for not requiring a wiki or a diagram to figure out whats happening lol.

Honestly 16 and Rebirth were probably my favorite 2 pieces of FF content since.... god I dont even know. A long time. I didnt hate 15 but for some reason it didnt really do much for me, it was just kinda there.

I think Rebirth is getting bonus points with me, just because its FF7. Which isnt fair, but that game just carries so much positive real estate in my gaming brain lol. It was just so much fun to get to run through that world again with those characters and a modern gaming facelift.

If I had never played the original and came in as a complete blank slate, I might be less forgiving on all the time warp alternate reality insanity.

I can overlook a lot of it for rebirth since it didnt really kick into overdrive until the very end... most of the game was pretty straightforward. But fuck me if we end up bouncing between multiple timelines a whole bunch in game 3 its gonna suck ass.
Dude that active pause lore in 16 is a GENIOUS idea.
Wish rebirth had that. But on the other hand, no explanation will help rebirth mess lol
again - I love the characters, music and visuals of rebirth... i just grew tired of combat and story got too messy. It needed to be more... elegant ?

Last edited:
Just finished the game, and I have the same feelings as I did when I first finished Remake: loved the game when it stuck to the script, but when it deviates it mostly makes me want to throw up. The last two chapters of this game are absolutely atrocious. If you thought Temple of the Ancients overstayed its welcome in the original, hoo boy... and why exactly do we need a 12-stage final boss fight? The actual final boss of OG FF7 had just two stages (arguably three) ffs. These devs have no idea what the word brevity means.

Or subtlety for that matter. In OG FF7, when the game wanted to show us Sephiroth's fearsome might, all we needed was this image and one box of text:
FFVII-MidgarZolom_Death.jpg

Nope, turns out in Rebirth he has an anime battle underwater with Midgarsormr.

Ugh.

I still loved most of the game but like I said, the last few hours really left a bad taste in my mouth.

Just finished the game, and I have the same feelings as I did when I first finished Remake: loved the game when it stuck to the script, but when it deviates it mostly makes me want to throw up. The last two chapters of this game are absolutely atrocious. If you thought Temple of the Ancients overstayed its welcome in the original, hoo boy... and why exactly do we need a 12-stage final boss fight? The actual final boss of OG FF7 had just two stages (arguably three) ffs. These devs have no idea what the word brevity means.

Or subtlety for that matter. In OG FF7, when the game wanted to show us Sephiroth's fearsome might, all we needed was this image and one box of text:
FFVII-MidgarZolom_Death.jpg

Nope, turns out in Rebirth he has an anime battle underwater with Midgarsormr.

Ugh.

I still loved most of the game but like I said, the last few hours really left a bad taste in my mouth.
All facts.

Just finished the game myself.

Pros: Loved the production values in this game. Technical problems aside, the game can be extremely beautiful and gave me a great sense of globetrotting adventure. Walking around with a huge party feels great. Loved the music and all the alternate versions. This game has so much “one-time” things that feels ridiculous, and while Remake had like 3-4 big set piece scenarios, this game has like 10+.

Cons: While I loved adventuring with the party, why are they so quiet? Other games have nailed the random banter in open world. Also, one time they started talking, I walked too far actívate something and the conversation stopped. It was annoying, specially so when it is so sparse. GTA V on PS3 fixed this issue, and not sure how this isn’t standard yet. A quick “well, as I was saying…” and continue where it stopped.

The story is a mess. Give me crimes, war and eco-terrorism all day. The moment it bleeds into timelines and metaphysics, it stops working.

There’s an issue with the brightness. I’m playing on a LG C2 OLED and sometimes the dark areas look too dark and the bright areas look too bright. Like with HDR, isn’t that supposed to not happen? Where you can be indoors and outside looks like in real life because there’s enough bits to portray all the colors?

I’m looking forward to the Platinum. Seems they improved on the options after finishing the game so it’s more easier to see stuff you missed. However, the latest patch broke a side quest (the G-Bike Party Animal) and for now I’ll just stop and wait for a fix (is the only side quest I’m missing). To then grind the rest.

I’m hoping at least Part 3 ends the game in a state where you can enjoy an epilogue and have you play the same world until you grind platinum and stop. Maybe give us a grindy Rebuild Sector 7 quest or something. I hate the whole “use the menu to go back in time to an old chapter to play the game” it doesn’t feel right narratively. FFXVI also sucks at this. The game ends, but if you want to play more you continue from right before the final boss. I think most games do this anyways, so might not be something that ever happens.

Most animations take forever. Actually, a lot of stuff feels long for no reason. They need an editor to trim the fat in some stuff. The world traversal feels bad, like Cloud jumps when he wants and lands where he wants and it doesn’t have weight. Gongaga in particular sucks with the mushrooms too, since they don’t follow any logic other than “try it and see where the devs scripted it to land”.

Summons need to have a bigger role. They feel so pointless with the story. I don’t mean that every FF has to portray Summons like FFXVI, but at least give them a real space in the world. The VR stuff sucks.

I have more thoughts but this are the immediate ones that come to mind an hour after seeing credits.

Edit: forgot to add Cid. Look how the massacred my boy… Doesn’t feel like him. He needs to more rude and if no cigarettes, at least give him a toothpick!

Last edited:
Just beat it....... that ending SUCKED

They really learned nothing from the last game. Buncha whispers forming into random shit in a completely inconvenient and overextended fight.

On the positive though, I love Zack being alive keep that shit up. And I loooved like 90% of the minigames, most of the game was a blast to play. Might go for the platinum, will have to see how hardcore it is

Killjoy-NL

They fucked the ending.

Why the hell did Cloud block Sephiroth's sword and then they still let Aerith die?
Completely took the impact away from the scene.
Such a moronic decision.

They also should've kept the scene in the game where Cloud releases Aerith's body in the water...

Other than that, I loved the game, but it should've been shorter.
Too many forced sections, especially the Loveless nonsense and the Zack/Biggs parts.

They did an amazing job bringing the game to life though.

Last edited:
Too many forced sections, especially the Loveless nonsense and the Zack/Biggs parts.
Holy shit for real, every time they flashed back to zack I'd get hype for some gameplay but I'd take 2 steps then get a lame ass cutscene and back to cloud.

That reminds me the trials everyone goes through at the end was also dumb, everyone's backstory already got its own section earlier in the game. So to force everyone to get another long cutscene essentially repeating the same shit was lame. I ended up skipping the last 2 or 3 cause it was so obvious what was gonnah play out

Neff

After hearing the ending was shit I half-expected Genesis to show up, murder the entire cast, and start reading poetry.

Had absolutely zero problem with what we got.

The ending was definitely the worst part of the game by far.

Red's voice and alt-Biggs moping around feeling sorry for himself.

Yay another multiverse to explore.

While I loved Rebirth as a whole, the ending is really stupid. Even for Square Enix standards. A shoehorned multiverse to bring everyone back just for them make every character "alive" again. And I bet by the end of part 3, which let's be honest, will absolutely be called "REUNION", they'll all survive and will live.
Isn't the re-release of Crisis Core already called Reunion? They won't repeat the same title.

belmarduk

I don't understand.

Is Aerith a ghost or is Cloud mentally ill? The rest of the party is clearly grieving. I never played the original but I just don't know what to think!

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
I don't understand.

Is Aerith a ghost or is Cloud mentally ill? The rest of the party is clearly grieving. I never played the original but I just don't know what to think!

Aerith is present there in some form, Red sensed her at the end. Best guess I can make is that she's essentially a multi-dimensional being but only Cloud can perceive her existence in their dimension/world at that time.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
How they get a Mindflayer from BG3 into this game?
Mindflayers were in the original NES / Famicom game in 1990. This was before Wizards of the Coast had the copyright on Dungeons and Dragons, and before they started suing everyone for doing anything they didn't like. Back then, TSR ran Dungeons and Dragons, and they were generally pretty chill with stuff like this.

mind-flayer.jpg

Interestingly enough, beholders were in the original as well - but for the western release they had to change them to "Evil Eye" and even change the image so it looked less like a beholder.

Mindflayers were in the original NES / Famicom game in 1990. This was before Wizards of the Coast had the copyright on Dungeons and Dragons, and before they started suing everyone for doing anything they didn't like. Back then, TSR ran Dungeons and Dragons, and they were generally pretty chill with stuff like this.

mind-flayer.jpg

Interestingly enough, beholders were in the original as well - but for the western release they had to change them to "Evil Eye" and even change the image so it looked less like a beholder.
Mind Flayers were even in Demon's Souls.

Elios83

Just finished the game and it was a truly fantastic ride.
The multiverse stuff is basically adding a layer of depth to the original story.

One thing is not clear to me though.
If Zack arrives in Midgar with ill Cloud after the events of the original remake and other people like Biggs already knew Cloud it means that in that timeline there are two Clouds and one went missing.
It is stated clearly that multiple dimensions can overlap and characters could end up in different dimensions, this happens to Zack during the final fight and maybe Biggs is the one from the original timeline transported to the timeline where Zack and ill Cloud were transported as well, so he could be the only one knowing Cloud and the rest of Avalanche did their stuff without Cloud in that timeline but at the beginning of the game I recall that it ie stated than an ex soldier was among the terrorists so something doesn't add up, there's a missing Cloud in the Zack timeline.

What do you think?

Last edited:

SkylineRKR

Just finished the game and it was a truly fantastic ride.
The multiverse stuff is basically adding a layer of depth to the original story.

One thing is not clear to me though.
If Zack arrives in Midgar with ill Cloud after the events of the original remake and other people like Biggs already knew Cloud it means that in that timeline there are two Clouds and one went missing.
It is stated clearly that multiple dimensions can overlap and characters could end up in different dimensions, this happens to Zack during the final fight and maybe Biggs is the one from the original timeline transported to the timeline where Zack and ill Cloud were transported as well, so he could be the only one knowing Cloud and the rest of Avalanche did their stuff without Cloud in that timeline but at the beginning of the game I recall that it ie stated than an ex soldier was among the terrorists so something doesn't add up, there's a missing Cloud in the Zack timeline.

What do you think?

Yes Biggs is transported. He says so himself, he was dying at the plate and fought alongside a Cloud being an Avalanche merc. Zack however is with a mako poisoned Cloud that never woken up yet, let alone joined Avalanche.

As for Ex-Soldier being mentioned, this is because the split in timelines happened after the Whisper Harbinger was defeated. This created a multiverse. And one of them wipes out the party. Cloud has to be somewhere in this other timeline as well, since we see Aerith and Red XIII in the chopper. And they would've never been a part of this raid without Cloud. The news reports one missing person; an Ex-Soldier with a buster sword. This can't be about Zack, he wasn't in Midgar, not a part of Avalanche and long dead before the whispers were offed.

So yes, there should be a missing Cloud, or he's being overwritten by comatose Cloud because of the interfering timeline happening. He might be warped away like Biggs.

Last edited:

Go_Ly_Dow

Just finished the game and that was a ridiculous ride.

Overall it's probably up there with the most spectacular JRPGs and games I've played. The highs were incredible and I can't believe how much they packed into to this game with so much detail, variety and with a quality more spectacular than the CGI we got in Advent Children, in game. I mean I'm not even a fan of that movie really, but always respected the production values and never imagined we'd be playing FF7 to a better standard to that.

Chapter 13, the Temple of the Ancients was my fav segment of the game. It had some of the most suspense and series of epic sequences I've experienced.. They were firing on all cylinders there and the art direction was beautiful and emotions were high.

I clocked in 82 hours at the end and will be going back to the game to clear all the main sidequests and a few other things.

The ending I am still unpacking in my mind and I just wish the final part could be out already. :pie_lcry:

Last edited:

TwinB242

Game was too long to the point where it just became exhausting. I gave up at the end because I got to the very last phase of the very last boss, and then decided to call it a night and next time I booted it up I realized that I wasted an hour and a half for nothing and had to do the entire climax over again.....

It was still mostly a great time but I did prefer the leaner and more tightly placed original. 80+ hours is just excessive for this kind of game.

Finally finished it, loved it so much. Sure the open world stuff is very repetitive, but no one forces you to do everything. I had a blast the whole game and am sad that it’s over and the waiting time for part 3 will be very long. I just hope we get some kind of DLC like the Yuffie chapter to at least sweeten the waiting time a little bit.

Not a fan of the ending however, it seems they keep the original story intact, which is a good thing, but because Cloud can see alternate realities or is not ready to let go, it just confused people what is actually happening and take away all the emotions. However, it is hard to judge really until we see how everything plays out.

Top Bottom