• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I dont understand the people saying that gaming is dying or not fun anymore

Saber

Gold Member
I think there was a similar line of thinking about mobile gaming being the end of consoles or something decades ago as well.

I'm too busy waiting for Armored Core, Granblue fantasy, Rise of Roni and Stellar Blade.

Last edited:

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
If you're not a fan of multiplayer, I get it. You guys are getting firehosed with (safe) sequels.

If you are a fan of multiplayer, the next 2 - 3 years are the most exciting, interesting time in gaming since the transition from 2D to 3D.

Robb

Gold Member
Me neither, there’s so much (too much!) to play these days. I think it’s often just fatigue due to playing a lot of similar games that’s talking.

killatopak

There are still games I enjoy.

That said, I know I am not the target audience for majority of games released nowadays. It’s like holding on to your 80’s, 90’s and 2000’s action hero idols. They’re gone now. Tom Cruise makes a movie here and there but it isn’t the same anymore.

Yeah I know generations and tastes change but I can’t help but lament the direction it’s going towards. It’s not something I can learn to accept. It’s something I completely abhor and we’re going on a path where there might not even be alternatives at least mainstream wise.

It’s hard because this is something not even exclusive to games. Everything is analytics and data driven. Something formulated to milk you for what you’re worth. The passion is lost, the suits are in charge and voting with your wallet isn’t effective because what’s the point when majority of people have no integrity and only think of themselves.

One thing I am glad about is at least I was able to witness the golden age of gaming at least from my perspective. When passion and imagination was all that fueled the hearts of these developers. When publishers trusted them to do something crazy, something new. When you can escape to this imaginary world because the real one is driving you away. None of that exists today.

Drizzlehell

Banned
To me it's not about individual examples of good games that come out every so often, because of course we are still getting some of those and will continue to have them in the future (or at least I hope). IMO it's more about the general direction in which the industry is heading. A lot of it stagnated a lot in the last decade or so, publishers and developers have different priorities that are dictated by the demand, and I don't necessarily think it's for the better. It's about the overall monetization and "get-rich-quick" schemes that get worse with each passing year, the anti-customer practices, endless conga line of design-by-committee games that don't take risks anymore, lack of creativity, endless stream of remakes, remasters, or lazy sequels, bean counters being in control of everything while creative people are constantly getting the shaft, etc.

Even the games that are listed in the OP, even though I enjoyed some of them, I just don't have the motivation to revisit them anymore. In most cases, when a brand new game comes out these days, I will just play it once, I kinda shrug at it saying "eh, it was okay", and then move on to something else with, like, ZERO desire to play it again. I'm honestly having way more fun digging through the backlog of 10-20 year old games that I never played before, or simply replaying my old favorites that, unlike modern games, I am eager to revisit. And it's great because I constantly find something that's exciting, entertaining, and often even unique.

We really need some kind of a punk reneissance in gaming, where the power is taken away from corporate dickheads and put back in the hands of the creatives. People who do it for the love of art. You know, by gamers for gamers.

Last edited:

hinch7

Jaded gamers. They just like to bitch and moan about new, approaches to games. And stuck in past for expectations for newer titles. That or they're they type of people who instead of playing games and enjoying the hobby just love talking about the controversy surrounding them.

Granted we have horrible business models sneak into modern games, the quality of them have increased with added complexity in game design. And scope in newly released big budget titles. Then we have a plethora of great indies and all in between and so many platforms to choose from and play from all consumer budgets. With so many different form factors, you wouldn't fathom a decade and more ago.

Last edited:
I think it stems form an entier generation ( the 1st generation) coming into that age where they are just growning out of video games. Not all of them but its normal for people to change there interests as they get older. In addition, they have seen it all at this point so it would take something special to peak thier interests.

I have no facts or data to back this up, just what i have seen personally.

Last edited:

hemo memo

Gold Member
If you are sticking to AAA gaming then yeah no wonder. Play AA (ex Disco Elysium, Control, Prey, A Plague Tale: Innocence) and indies (ex Celeste, Hollow Knight, Undertale, Cuphead). The creativity is there as it is less risky and more experimental or Nintendo games as they love to experiment.

I don’t think people think “gaming is dying”. It’s just that the tech isn’t progressing at the rate that it use to which has been disappointing to see.

Also there is less variety and releases for AAA games now compared to in the past.

Codes 208

For aome people its just a hobby and like any hobby, if your heart isnt in it anymore it gets boring. I have a friend whos been burnt out on gaming lately because nearly all big AAA games we play, theyve all turned into shitty gaas or have just fallen off in general

Gaming has never been in better shape, quite honestly.

In the 80's and 90's, gaming was very expensive with relatively limited choice. B-games were awful, for the most part. When people complain today, they're usually complaining about AAA-games and the rampant monetisation. Now we have almost limitless indie titles and excellent quality B-games, all for very reasonable RRP, there are also constant sales going on where you can buy amazing titles for ludicrous prices; gamers have never had it better.

Last edited:

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
I don’t think we get better JRPG’s these days, but I absolutely love what From Software has created. I’m in a perfect spot because I’d rather play classic RPG’s over and over again than play one that’s just new. There’s things like gameplay tech that’s easier to implement than it was years ago. It’s hard to find the difference between a passionate project or one that came together because they had the right tools to use. I miss the old school shooters and RPGs. Shooters these days are a mix bag. I’d rather replay Half-Life 2 than wait for something to be better. Seeing open world sandbox games is great, but that’s also not everything.

I’m also not an esports, MOBA, or battle royal fan. That also cuts me down to size. I am super excited about these remakes/reboots. I can’t wait for Elden Ring DLC. So idk. I don’t want to go back, but I also don’t think we should forget about the past either.

kunonabi

I really only enjoy asymmetrical horror games these days on a regular basis. Every now and then something else will catch my eye but most things typically don't interest me much. Nintendo's painfully mediocre output on the switch has a lot to to do with that but I don't think any company is really putting out stuff consistently that I find appealing.

Jigsaah

Gold Member
Except some political stuff in some games and greedy tactics by some companies gaming has never been more fun and creative

We have big releases like

Baldur's gate 3 - big rpg with alot of choice and consequence , alot of freedom when it comes to gameplay , alot of interesting characters , everything you could want in an rpg

Legend of zelda TOTK - another game with alot of gameplay freedom that stimulates your creativity , if you think of a solution its probably is a posibility

Star wars Jedi survivor - sure the game has optimization problems but the game itself is amazing , it improves everything from the prequel

Starfield - another huge rpg , from the looks of it they improved the rpg mechanics from fallout 4 , no more dialog wheel with answers like "yes , no , maybe "

Armored core 6 - sure the graphics are nothing special but the combat looks amazing and the costumization options of the mech is insane

Resident Evil 4 remake - ive never played the original so for me this game was a new experience and it was amazing

And then we have smaller games but very good too like Entrophy center , Viewfinder , Five nights at freddie's security breach , amnesia the bunker , dark light , dredge , age of wonders 4

You would have to be very picky to not find anything fun to play
Are you saying, that people are saying games are dying when they haven't even come out yet?

Not fun anymore...I mean to each their own but people pay too close attention to numbers and care too much about what other people think and/or are doing in these games.

Everybody's trying to follow trends and watching the latest LegacyKillaHD video and getting sour on games.

Yes Microtransactions suck. Yes, big companies being pushed ever farther to find new ways to monetize sucks. Yep I'm pretty old now by gamer's standards and maybe I'm just too long in the tooth to appreciate some of the games these whipper snappers are enjoying these days.

But understand at the same time....as gamers...WE ARE SPOILED ROTTEN. Gaming is awesome, never been better. I agree whole heartedly. I guess I could have led with that statement.

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
I don’t think people think “gaming is dying”. It’s just that the tech isn’t progressing at the rate that it use to which has been disappointing to see.

Also there is less variety and releases for AAA games now compared to in the past.
Well said. Great games are still being released (I played 2 games I’d rate 10/10 this year) but there is just nothing groundbreaking being released and I miss that. We’ve seen it all, no matter how good it is.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
This year is good but recent few years been slow outside of very few good titles each year.
but it's picking up

Fuz

Banned
gaming has never been more fun and creative
Season 4 No GIF by The Office

nbkicker

Im coming upto 50 and been gaming since i was 10, think ive owned every console or handheld ever made since the nes came out, and i can honestly say the last few yrs of gaming has been dire, highlight for me was ps2/gamecube era of gaming, ill admit there is still odd title coming out now like re4 etc and sf6 that keeps me happy, but now started to find myself going into the emulation route and visting past titles from arcades to ps3. Dont think i could name 5 titles that i no are in development that im excited or looking forward to

Griffon

I have so many games to play on my Steam library yet I still buy new ones. Gaming is at it's absolute best, perhaps some of you guys should look elsewhere than in AAA console games.

Last edited:
I think the real complaint is with AAA blockbuster titles. Which 20 years ago didn’t exist. Even the biggest releases back then would be by today’s standards A or AA. So there was a lot more variety and different types of games back then as publishers was able to take risks. I think it was COD modern warfare and GTAIV that were the first by today standards AAA titles.

Nowadays the major publishers are all blockbuster focused, so it’s all sequels with high production value focused on what is marketable to casuals. Most of the niche games are only showing up on steam. If you’re a console gamers you are stuck with mostly the major publishers and their AAA games, and the pickings are slim.

Gaming is big enough for different types of gamers to enjoy it. Seems like a lot of people are disappointed with the aaa stuff in general. That doesn't mean they don't like once-in-a-lifetime games like Starfield and TotK, it just means they are sick of samey open world games that come out once a year etc.

There's still a ton of amazing games being made, but we all don't have to like the cookie-cutter formula of lazy devs that pump out annual clone games.

kiunchbb

www.dictionary.com
You're just young, as you get older, you experienced almost everything, it doesn't help that game design all follows the same mechanic to appeal to the masses. Those are all great games you listed, but we all played similar games before, just with older graphics.

The last time I really had a fresh experience is with Bloodborne, 13th Sentinel, and for some dumb reason Honkai Starrail.

MagnesD3

Gaming is big enough for different types of gamers to enjoy it. Seems like a lot of people are disappointed with the aaa stuff in general. That doesn't mean they don't like once-in-a-lifetime games like Starfield and TotK, it just means they are sick of samey open world games that come out once a year etc.

There's still a ton of amazing games being made, but we all don't have to like the cookie-cutter formula of lazy devs that pump out annual clone games.
Id argue Totk isnt a once a lifetime release its literally a good version of BotW. It did take a life time to release though.

There's no better time to be a gamer then right now.
You have interesting and fun new stuff coming out, and a SHITLOAD of beautiful older games to play from the PS1/2/3, GameCube, Nintendo DS, so on, generations to check out.

If you are not happy with the current state of gaming, for whatever reasons that may be, you can always go back to the past. Lots of games waiting to be discovered by you.

Last edited:

samoilaaa

You're just young, as you get older, you experienced almost everything, it doesn't help that game design all follows the same mechanic to appeal to the masses. Those are all great games you listed, but we all played similar games before, just with older graphics.

The last time I really had a fresh experience is with Bloodborne, 13th Sentinel, and for some dumb reason Honkai Starrail.
im 33 years old and gaming since i was around 7 , i think i have enough experience

Krathoon

Part of the problem with modern gaming is that it requires a large time investment.

Games used to be smaller and easier to get through.

People do have lives, you know.

WoJ

I think gaming has higher highs and lower lows today than previous generations. The crappy business practices, reliance on remakes and remasters, monetization/GAAS crap, releasing broken games that are basically getting people to pay $70 to beta test all suck. Plus we've seen homogenization of genres and certain genres really die out or become shells of themselves (arcade racers come to mind). There's lack of creativity in certain spaces too. Production costs have led to increased dev times and it makes it harder for new IPs and AA games to succeed due to unrealistic sales targets due to said production costs.

But despite all the bad listed above there's a ton of variety out there, and quality too. Third person story driven games are at an all time high. There's lots of variety in the indie space. There are amazing AAA games that create experiences I could only dream of as a kid.

Simply put, despite all the bad in the industry, the good that we get keeps it a pretty amazing. At least for me.

SSfox

All subjective. Gaming are still awesome as always. But gotta say Western gaming industry have degraded quite significally and slowly since mid PS4One gen.

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
Gaming isn't dying. Start playing the actual games instead of walking simulator visual novel one and done movie press A for Awesome mobile game that plays itself for $70.

ITT: The jaded vs the non-jaded.

2023 is bursting at the seams with video games and yet some people here will seriously look you in the eye and say that they can't find anything to play.

At least with music you have a semi-valid reason to say that you can't find anything to play(as your favorite music genre as a kid isn't as popular and is more hard to find). However with gaming though, there's still a large number of video games, old and new, that are easily findable, purchasable, and playable through places like GoG, Steam, etc.

oji-san

Banned
Gaming today is great and i have a ton of fun but i think it was way better 15 years ago, still.. some of the best games i played are from couple of years ago so i'm satisfied.😊

MagnesD3

ITT: The jaded vs the non-jaded.

2023 is bursting at the seams with video games and yet some people here will seriously look you in the eye and say that they can't find anything to play.

At least with music you have a semi-valid reason to say that you can't find anything to play(as your favorite music genre as a kid isn't as popular and is more hard to find). However with gaming though, there's still a large number of video games, old and new, that are easily findable, purchasable, and playable through places like GoG, Steam, etc.
This year I has Armored Core 6 and Street fighter 6. ToTK has been fun even if its not what I want from Zelda but thats kinda it. No 3d platformers, no incredible new RPG that appeals, no big new IPs, nothing crazy from most old ips (that im into at least, I bet Baldur'sGate 3 will be a big deal), Ninetndo is meh, PS/Xbox lineups are busts.

I got a couple games this year but I wish there was more to look forward to. Shadow of the Erdtree and AC6 are all I have left to be excited for.

Last edited:

nkarafo

Gaming is alive and bigger than ever.

It's much less fun for me though. To the point where i play retro games almost exclusively.

KXVXII9X

You have to judge these things with context, compared to other games on the market there wasn't anything like metal gear solid, half life or ocarina of Time. That's not to say today's games aren't good it's just the strides aren't as big anymore. I always think about the leap from Star Fox to Star Fox 64.You went from simple game with primitive polygons to a highly detailed fully textured game in 4 years. This is not even mentioning the gameplay refinements/level design, the fact it was fully voice acted or the rumble pack. New things seem to be coming at a higher rate back then. I honestly believe they're still a lot of good ideas that are untapped , but there isn't really an incentive to try anything different.
Couldn't agree more. You explained it better than I could.

Batiman

Banned
Gaming usually dies for me every summer. I usually read outside or do other shit. Gaming is more of a rainy day, winter thing. The summers are too short here to be playing games. I get back all into gaming when the weather starts to turn to shit. That’s like 70% of the year.

It is dying, indie games are the saving grace though. AAA games are movie games and have barely any gameplay, only low standard sheeps will say gaming is good or better than ever. Corny people that are mad that missed out on snes/ps1/ps2 and even the 360 will use cringe cliches that only "old" people are complaining. It cant possibly be the truth, these sheep that want to fit in and like something just because its the latest or newest will tell you that.

Last edited:
This year I has Armored Core 6 and Street fighter 6. ToTK has been fun even if its not what I want from Zelda but thats kinda it. No 3d platformers, no incredible new RPG that appeals, no big new IPs, nothing crazy from most old ips (that im into at least, I bet Baldur'sGate 3 will be a big deal), Ninetndo is meh, PS/Xbox lineups are busts.

I got a couple games this year but I wish there was more to look forward to. Shadow of the Erdtree and AC6 are all I have left to be excited for.
You're doing the thing that a lot of people here seem to be doing when it comes to new releases: Setting very strict limitations on what you'll decide to play and then blaming the gaming industry for everything not meeting your specific parameters. The reason I can tell this is because you've said 'No incredible new RPG that appeals' and 'no big new IPs'.

Objectively, that's not true at all. So why make your personal preference an objective fact?

Top Bottom