• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Which member had the best exit on GAF Or: A Very Happy GAF History Lesson

Status
Not open for further replies.

AMUSIX

KaotikMind said:
And my favorite was the whole costanza rockband-age thing, it was a massacre. If I remember correctly Wrath2X got banned for some weird reason, what was it?

Just being honest, why not just ban the whole pony-gaf if that was the case.
The Rock Band thing happened before it was realized that simply banning micro-communities wouldn't be viable. It was before the Online forum was changed to the Community forum, which greatly benefited Pony Gaf, and gave them an 'out'.

Leunam

iKeepPlaying said:
Wollan? Well, because he was the only member that couldn't be banned. How can you ever compete against that?
Yeah, long time lurker

He has been banned before, actually.

FTH said:
PonyGAF didn't spam the Gaming forum? Are you dense?
No, just honest. Ponygaf was everywhere at some point.

AMUSIX said:
The Rock Band thing happened before it was realized that simply banning micro-communities wouldn't be viable. It was before the Online forum was changed to the Community forum, which greatly benefited Pony Gaf, and gave them an 'out'.

So what you are saying is that banning all those people was wrong and they should be unbanned? hmmmmm.....

Narag

iKeepPlaying said:
Wollan? Well, because he was the only member that couldn't be banned. How can you ever compete against that?
Yeah, long time lurker

His exit was anticlimactic. Some 360 news thread was posted, he hopped in to post unrelated PS3 stuff, he's banned, and they decide enough was enough so it was perma.

AMUSIX

KaotikMind said:

So what you are saying is that banning all those people was wrong and they should be unbanned? hmmmmm.....
all of them? Absolutely not. However, without going into specifics (because that's not what this thread is about) there were absolutely unjustified bans. But it's pointless to even discuss as noone likes to admit to having incorrect judgement.

daffy

Banned
KaotikMind said:
How does that make them worthy of being banned similarly to the Rock Band Platform? PonyGAF never spammed OT with pony news, they don't spam Gaming when pony games are announced, the two groups are so dissimilar that it doesn't make much sense to compare them.

elrechazao said:
RiskyChris has to be up there too .... months and months of white knighting, before a total meltdown of white hot knighting....

Was he the guy who had the hots for his teacher (posted pictures of her), or some other user?

Salsa

Green Scar said:

Awh, that was pretty much perfect. I dont know if he got banned by that, but the right course of action for me would be to check with the poster who got pissed on if he was mad at all, cause i would laugh my ass off if it was me. So good it should get a pass. I dont get to decide those things though :p

KaotikMind said:
Reading up Wrath got banned for inviting someone? Any more details available?
I think he was inviting Gaffers to another forum that Costanza had set up after the Rock Band clique had gotten taken out.

AMUSIX said:
all of them? Absolutely not. However, without going into specifics (because that's not what this thread is about) there were absolutely unjustified bans. But it's pointless to even discuss as noone likes to admit to having incorrect judgement.
I don't know how many of the Rock Band Clique got banned, but I remember entering there those last couple days and seeing Costanza and TheGreatDave encouraging almost open revolt. Those involved with that needed to go. Any collateral damage deserves to come back.

Edit: Also, there were those in that thread doing everything in their power to circumvent Evilore's decision to make all gaming news into its own thread. Don't know how many there were. I wasn't a member by that point.

AMUSIX

FTH said:
How does that make them worthy of being banned similarly to the Rock Band Platform? PonyGAF never spammed OT with pony news, they don't spam Gaming when pony games are announced, the two groups are so dissimilar that it doesn't make much sense to compare them.
It should be noted that a single GAF member went overboard and did the RB-related 'spamming', without any prompt from other members. To blame it on the entire RB thread is ridiculous.

As for the parallel to Pony-Gaf, the only one I could see is that there existed an insular micro-community, and that, while they didn't make a half-dozen pony-threads, they would constantly post their memes, gifs, and material into a huge number of existing, unrelated threads.

Salsa

Pony-GAF was walking a thin line IMO. Not for doing anything ban-worthy but just for the fact that i thought creating a micro-community inside the forum that wasnt game-related was bannable.

I think they're safe now that they've been moved to Community since it doesnt get much traffic at all.

AMUSIX

SalsaShark said:
I think they're safe now that they've been moved to Community since it doesnt get much traffic at all.
Well, technically, the third forum's focus was modified in order to avoid having to ban Pony Gaf and other similar communities. The only thing Rock Band did wrong in that sense was exist before the decision to create a 'safe haven' for communities was made.

daffy

Banned
AMUSIX said:
It should be noted that a single GAF member went overboard and did the RB-related 'spamming', without any prompt from other members. To blame it on the entire RB thread is ridiculous.

As for the parallel to Pony-Gaf, the only one I could see is that there existed an insular micro-community, and that, while they didn't make a half-dozen pony-threads, they would constantly post their memes, gifs, and material into a huge number of existing, unrelated threads.
They were also withholding RB update info and resistant to new members because they would make flippant comments in new topics, weren't they? I haven't read up on it outside of OT discussion.

And to be honest, I don't really see the difference between Pony memes and other memes like all my friends are dead and you are already dead etc. But whatever that's derail.

cookie-cutter.jpg
oedipus_pic.jpg

Beardz

elrechazao said:
RiskyChris has to be up there too .... months and months of white knighting, before a total meltdown of white hot knighting....

He was like a slow-mo train wreck.

CO_Andy

My memory's a bit fuzzy, but there was some sort of mass exodus by old members in one thread over the decline in quality in NeoGAF: Segata, Himuro, Aeana, Red Scarlet, and in a separate but under similar circumstance, Dragona.

The only two members who returned from this were Himuro and Aeana, and we know where Himuro's fat mouth landed him soon afterwards.

AMUSIX

FTH said:
They were also withholding RB update info and resistant to new members because they would make flippant comments in new topics, weren't they? I haven't read up on it outside of OT discussion.

And to be honest, I don't really see the difference between Pony memes and other memes like all my friends are dead and you are already dead etc. But whatever that's derail.
No, there was no withholding info. In fact, the RB OP was constantly being updated with things like DLC announcements, so that the info would be findable by anyone without having to dig through the mega thread.

Not sure how much time I have right now, but will try to type up a very short, succinct timeline of what happened.

FiRez

Socreges said:
olimario

Are you guys so green that you weren't even here to witness it?

I really wonder whatever happened to the guy.

Yes I remember that one, he's happily married I believe, his comment about the kirby's racing game still gets me

crowphoenix said:
I think he was inviting Gaffers to another forum that Costanza had set up after the Rock Band clique had gotten taken out.

I remember when that other forum got up he complained by saying he only invited few and never did it as revolting against GAF. And he only gave the link to those he knew wanted to join.

Too bad, he was good people. Him and a few others from then should be unbanned imo.

daffy

Banned
AMUSIX said:
No, there was no withholding info. In fact, the RB OP was constantly being updated with things like DLC announcements, so that the info would be findable by anyone without having to dig through the mega thread.

Not sure how much time I have right now, but will try to type up a very short, succinct timeline of what happened.
Okay thanks.
Patrick Bateman said:
But Kitsuné is Belgian or French.

I miss Crushed and Greatness Gone. :(
Yep. Its a French adaptation of a japanese word.

Requeim

CO_Andy said:
My memory's a bit fuzzy, but there was some sort of mass exodus by old members in one thread over the decline in quality in NeoGAF: Segata, Himuro, Aeana, Red Scarlet, and in a separate but under similar circumstance, Dragona.

The only two members who returned from this were Himuro and Aeana, and we know where Himuro's fat mouth landed him soon afterwards.

that sounds interesting :O

Wazzim

Banned
Yeah Himuro had a funny exit, it was so sudden lol.

EDIT: Blame Space got banned? Is it a perma ban or just for a couple of months?

Blackmage:

Accidentally posting a picture that states: once you go back you lose all respect of civilized people, then threatening the guy that claims he is going to tell the mods of the indecent by placing blame on him, and subsequently getting his pms screen-caped reminds of the beginning of that one episode of It's Always Sunny were they testify against Mac's dead.

Miss the guy; free Blackmage!

rvy

Banned
iKeepPlaying said:
Yeah, long time lurker
I always figured that MassiveAttack was the only one who couldn't be banned. So far, I think Wario64 is the one who stood the test of time.

Shurs said:
I thought Himuro's was sad, seeing as the initial point he made was spot on. Unfortunately, it ended up going too far, which led to the ban.

I thought his comments were spot on, actually. Maybe a bit harsh, but still pretty accurate.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom