• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Which member had the best exit on GAF Or: A Very Happy GAF History Lesson

Status
Not open for further replies.

jufonuk

not tag worthy
The closest I came to being banned was a Permanent Junior Member Status, (about Just dance 2 outselling MW2)
how do I (if ever) get to be a full member?

Zeliard

Snuggler said:
I think that GAF should implement a system of positive reinforcement to encourage quality posting. For every good post you make, you earn a GAF buck. Once you've acquired a certain amount of GAF bucks, it can be exchanged for goods and services like a free sub from Quizno's or whatever.

Other sites have reputation systems and such but I think it's a cool thing about GAF that everyone is sort of at the same level, at least after having attained full membership.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
Salazar said:
Bjork is a feature ?
To some yes.

No, but I didn't want to make my post all about bjork cause I was also curious about any new features that might possibly be in the pipeline.

EviLore said:
#2 on the agenda is getting search back. Just gotta do some troublesome software updates beforehand.
Spongebob-Happy-spongebob-squarepants-154897_338_432.jpg

Chinner

Banned
Snuggler said:
I think that GAF should implement a system of positive reinforcement to encourage quality posting. For every good post you make, you earn a GAF buck. Once you've acquired a certain amount of GAF bucks, it can be exchanged for goods and services like a free sub from Quizno's or whatever.
Nah, get enough GAF bucks and you can change other peoples avatars and tags.

siddx

Magnificent Eager Mighty Brilliantly Erect Registereduser
xbhaskarx said:
I have a similarly long ignore list (there are lots of idiots on the internet, I'm not a mod so I don't have to deal with them)... siddx likes to draw conclusions about people based on the size of their ignore list, apparently: "You are very high strung individual, it must be quite difficult to be in close proximity with you."

Please tell us #3 on the agenda is the return of :lols...

Well you are a high strung individual...so...

ampere

EviLore said:
No, had nothing to do with it. Avatars were hosted externally so they had no impact on server load, and smileys were irrelevant to server load.

Did a major hardware upgrade, that's what kept things running smoothly for E3. The avatars being hosted internally now is actually a huge server burden, but it's doable because of the server upgrades and preferable to external avatar hosting (which had a lot of problems, like chrome malware warnings and password popups and slower page loads and having to manually moderate people with >150KB avatars).
Ah. I think it was definitely a good decision to add the GAF hosted avatar feature to make it more user friendly to those unfamiliar with image hosting.

Is that what those password popups are from? I know the banner adds seem pretty innocuous, but I'd still get a login prompt for username and password occasionally when I visit certain threads.

Foliorum Viridum said:
I was always a fan of reputation systems on forums, even ones where you could only give positive feedback, but it was inevitably ruined by some fuckwits who saw it as a popularity contest.
I posted at the Cracked forums since 2005, and it became such a shitpile because I had a karma score lower than most others and thus wasn't worth responding to. Keep GAF the way it is in that regard.

xbhaskarx

siddx said:
Well you are a high strung individual...so...

I didn't say you were wrong!
But in response to your comment from that old thread, in real life I can avoid interacting with morons for the most part.

ConradCervantes said:
I posted at the Cracked forums since 2005, and it became such a shitpile because I had a karma score lower than most others and thus wasn't worth responding to. Keep GAF the way it is in that regard.

I don't know how that site works, but that wouldn't be a problem if the system was just +/- for individual comments and not assigning people a score or label based on their overall reputation.

kswiston

Wow Long thread. Took be a good 6 hours to get to the end.

It's crazy how many of these guys I recognize, remember talking to at some point, yet didn't realize that they had been banned for the last 1-2 years. A combination of time flying by, and there being so many other posters on this board.

I miss Segata and Ethered though.

Also, for the juniors reading, it is not hard to avoid being banned if you aren't a jerk or make an ass of yourself. A couple hours of attention is not worth risking your account.

Finally, I concur that Opiate, Nirolak, and Stump were great mod additions. I am sure Minsc will be great as well.

Narag

I miss the little green/yellow/red icons next to user names. I think that reputation fell into disuse but sometimes someone would drop a level and you knew their time would be up soon.

Varjet

Zeliard said:
Other sites have reputation systems and such but I think it's a cool thing about GAF that everyone is sort of at the same level, at least after having attained full membership.
That reminds me that I kinda miss the green squares next to our user names.

Esch

Banned
siddx said:
Speaking of tags, there are a few posters on here whose tags I came up with...which makes me proud and drunk with non existent power. I made some thread one day where I just spent the whole day assigning short descriptions to random posters until my brains melted and a few of those descriptions ended up as tags.

Yep. EXCEPT THAT I WON THAT FIGHT

Salazar

Chinner said:
Nah, get enough GAF bucks and you can change other peoples avatars and tags.

But people would concentrate their posting in forms liable to earn GAF bucks, and the diversity of GAF's discourse would plummet.

And then some posters, probably first on the OT (we drive innnovation, motherfuckers), would contract others to post on their account and earn them GAF bucks while they slept.

DMeisterJ

Banned
This thread is life being in a room where a bunch of high school graduates talk about the good old times, but you don't really have a clue as to what is going on because you went to a different school.

Corto

kswiston said:
Wow Long thread. Took be a good 6 hours to get to the end.

It's crazy how many of these guys I recognize, remember talking to at some point, yet didn't realize that they had been banned for the last 1-2 years. A combination of time flying by, and there being so many other posters on this board.

I miss Segata and Ethered though.

Also, for the juniors reading, it is not hard to avoid being banned if you aren't a jerk or make an ass of yourself. A couple hours of attention is not worth risking your account.

Finally, I concur that Opiate, Nirolak, and Stump were great mod additions. I am sure Minsc will be great as well.

Minsc is a gentleman. The definition of moderation.

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member
Varjet said:
That reminds me that I kinda miss the green squares next to our user names.

for about a year I thought it was there to indicate if the user was online or not

I'm so ashamed.

edit: I'm the meat in a mod sandwich. ujelly, Chinner?

Amir0x

Banned
Segata ragequit because people were jumping on him for being negative about DKC2. Ridiculous fanboys who hate negativity make Amir0x mad

xbhaskarx

Salazar said:
And then some posters, probably first on the OT (we drive innnovation, motherfuckers), would contract others to post on their account and earn them GAF bucks while they slept.

But on the positive side that could provide employment to millions of people in developing countries.

DMeisterJ said:
This thread is life being in a room where a bunch of high school graduates talk about the good old times, but you don't really have a clue as to what is going on because you went to a different school.

It's more like (for me) going to a school, hearing about various people but they move up to college, and then when you get to college you see them again or find out what they did

ha

Chinner

Banned
Salazar said:
But people would concentrate their posting in forms liable to earn GAF bucks, and the diversity of GAF's discourse would plummet.

MMO GAF sounds pretty good to me.

Seanspeed

Banned
Snuggler said:
21k9zb9.jpg

Zeliard

CruxisMana said:
I imagine this thread will make an interesting read again in a couple of years time to see who survived.

Half the names will be faded out.

Who decided to add the ghost touch for banned people, btw? Pretty effective. Permed members look like ghostly apparitions.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
TacticalFox88 said:
Damn, didn't know THIS many people hated Dragona. :/
Some of it was questionable at best. There was always a lot of collateral damage in women/sexual orientation threads with her. Where anything that remotely could be took the wrong way, resulted in an axe.

While at the same time, many of the bans were justified. Most of them come from when a thread turned into the Carnival of Stupid with her going in there and cleaning up. Followed by the, Well I didn't deserve it.

Solo said:
The thing about bans is that they're never for what you expect they will be for. Like, I undoubtedly deserved all my bans in retrospect, but I dunno, there have been a great many times I've taken things way too far and I feel like a ban in imminent, and then it... just doesn't happen.

lol
My only ban was for thread whining. 100% deserved, but it's not what I ever expected I'd get ban for. I always figured it would come from something on gaming side. Which I'm sure I've been close to on multiple occasions, but took the hint I received from a mod a while back.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
To respond to the original question, a junior member named fartblast got permed in 2008 for using the f-homophobic-slur. Here's the post.

Why is that the best exit on GAF?

Because even though the mod who banned him didn't know at the time and I guess thought he was just banning a random junior, fartblast had been banned 20 times previous, making him the most banned user of all time.

TacticalFox88 said:
If it's money then....GAF...let's all make a Paypal and pitch in. :D

Hey, GAF is essentially a small business startup, and startups need money, just sayin'...

(have startups on the brain at the moment)

(This is too offtopic for this awesome thread)

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Stumpokapow said:
Because even though the mod who banned him didn't know at the time and I guess thought he was just banning a random junior, fartblast had been banned 20 times previous, making him the most banned user of all time.

Damn, so he's probably posting under another name right now.

Reveal yourself, Fartblast 2.0.

Zeliard

Stumpokapow said:
To respond to the original question, a junior member named fartblast got permed in 2008 for using the f-homophobic-slur. Here's the post.

Most banned user of all time, demonstrably greatest user name of all time, somebody call Guinness.

Stumpokapow said:

A true cockroach.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom