• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Which member had the best exit on GAF Or: A Very Happy GAF History Lesson

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mileena

Banned
Amir0x said:
Every so often as the forum grows Evilore says "maybe it's time to nominate some new mods." We mods/admins discuss amongst ourselves different members who represents aspects we think would make good mods. In the latest batch Minsc and EatChildren got a lot of mentions.
I nominate myself. I promise to shit on Heavy Rain every chance I get!

I've always wondered this but..

Most of the forums I've been Moderators would delete/Mod edit the unacceptable post and send a PM of warning to the member in question. Aside from the bans that come from inflammatory or hateful remarks, it seems that most of the bans come as a surprise to other readers as well as the member in question. From my perspective, a Mod has two options for e.g. when a member is being argumentative with another individual

1. Give him/her a short ban
2. Mod edit/delete the posts in question and send out a notice to those members.

But what seems to happen is the first option. Is this a policy mods follow or personal judgement? Do you guys make contact with members who step out of line?

CHEEZMO™

Obsidian fan
DennisK4 said:
Thats a fact.
PNoGQ.png

ampere

EviLore said:
#2 on the agenda is getting search back. Just gotta do some troublesome software updates beforehand.
Oh wow. Getting rid of animated avatars and the animated smiley must have really lessened the server load for this to be considered, eh?

I also don't think I got a single 500 this past E3. Avatars were off completely then though

xbhaskarx

Marius_ said:
siddx said:
he mentioned having hundreds of posters on ignore before becoming a mod, which made me question whether he had the patience and tolerance to be a mod. But as I said he could have been joking.
You mean this ?

I have a similarly long ignore list (there are lots of idiots on the internet, I'm not a mod so I don't have to deal with them)... siddx likes to draw conclusions about people based on the size of their ignore list, apparently: "You are very high strung individual, it must be quite difficult to be in close proximity with you."

EviLore said:
#2 on the agenda is getting search back. Just gotta do some troublesome software updates beforehand.

Please tell us #3 on the agenda is the return of :lols...

EviLore said:

I know you've mentioned your desire to get search back a few months ago. Is the pace of updates limited by time/available hands, money, or a bit of both?

EviLore said:
On top of that, it turned out that she had been letting her partner use her admin account and he had apparently been banning people himself for years, and when she finally decided to mention that this was taking place I had to either demod her or give him his own mod account. At the time I made the very wrong decision to go with the latter, because Dragona was an OG and I wanted to keep her around, and Lyre turned out to be one of the worst mods we've ever had (don't worry, Mike Works, you're still #1 in my heart). And then I noticed they *still* used their accounts interchangeably so there was no way to have accountability for their respective mod actions, so if I wanted to get rid of Lyre it would be pointless unless I got rid of both of them. I let them both go.
Calling me the worst mod ever is like calling Heath Ledger the worst guy in The Dark Knight.

I actually think I was a pretty damn good mod most of the time- I participated in a ton of threads and discussions when it came to ban-related stuff, and I was usually really good with communicating to people why they were banned and how long they were banned for, which I think is important.

The only problem is, when I wasn't being an ideal mod, I was probably a huge pain in the ass.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
I got banned and was reborn a mod.

Kind of like a phoenix.

Garjon

Cerebral Assassin said:
To be honest I don't post too often myself & it was a couple of years ago, the sad thing is we lost a few decent posters( & the football thread has recovered so its all good now), it was funny seeing all the juniors join up & moan that the thread was dead after they had to wait to be able to post in it, though.
Back to being the most consistently popular thread on GAF? I think it's definitely one of the most consistently good threads overall.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
ciaossu said:
Oh wow. Getting rid of animated avatars and the animated smiley must have really lessened the server load for this to be considered, eh?

I also don't think I got a single 500 this past E3. Avatars were off completely then though

No, had nothing to do with it. Avatars were hosted externally so they had no impact on server load, and smileys were irrelevant to server load.

Did a major hardware upgrade, that's what kept things running smoothly for E3. The avatars being hosted internally now is actually a huge server burden, but it's doable because of the server upgrades and preferable to external avatar hosting (which had a lot of problems, like chrome malware warnings and password popups and slower page loads and having to manually moderate people with >150KB avatars).

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
I think that GAF should implement a system of positive reinforcement to encourage quality posting. For every good post you make, you earn a GAF buck. Once you've acquired a certain amount of GAF bucks, it can be exchanged for goods and services like a free sub from Quizno's or whatever.

DBebm5 said:
I know you've mentioned your desire to get search back a few months ago. Is the pace of updates limited by time/available hands, money, or a bit of both?
If it's money then....GAF...let's all make a Paypal and pitch in. :D

Zeliard

Solo said:
The thing about bans is that they're never for what you expect they will be for. Like, I undoubtedly deserved all my bans in retrospect, but I dunno, there have been a great many times I've taken things way too far and I feel like a ban in imminent, and then it... just doesn't happen.

lol

Probably dangerous to admit this but I feel the same :p

I wonder if they keep some running tally of shit individual posters do, and then even after something that'd be otherwise minor, it's like "okay you need a break."

xbhaskarx

Is there any chance that GAF eventually gets a publicly visible ban notice system sort of like SomethingAwful?

I think people are naturally curious why others have been banned and if/when they will be back...

Snuggler said:
I think that GAF should implement a system of positive reinforcement to encourage quality posting. For every good post you make, you earn a GAF buck. Once you've acquired a certain amount of GAF bucks, it can be exchanged for goods and services like a free sub from Quizno's or whatever.

LOL, being able to rate comments up/down would be great though.
Not only would people be able to get feedback on their comments, but it would reduce this, ., iawtp, :lol, etc. comments that are apparently frowned upon for not furthering the discussion.

Snuggler said:

So does this mean we've seen Jeff's last goodbye?

Oh, Snuggler. You should have come over. It's not too late.

Solo

Snuggler said:

Activision should put out a new GAF each year.

GAF: Modern Trolling 2

Snuggler said:
I was always a fan of reputation systems on forums, even ones where you could only give positive feedback, but it was inevitably ruined by some fuckwits who saw it as a popularity contest.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom