• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Which modern games have a great singleplayer campaign *and* great separate multiplayer?

kicker

Banned
Basically a game that would make you say 'This is an excellent game' both in singleplayer and multiplayer modes. Co-op campaigns don't count as a separate multiplayer mode for this

In the past, a large portion of singleplayer games came packaged with multiplayer modes that were almost as much if not more fun than the main campaign. Nowadays we have to pick one or the other.

Only one that comes to mind for me is unironically Call of Duty (great might be a stretch for the campaign, but eh)

T4keD0wN

Great singleplayer and multiplayer? Sorry, sounds like thats asking for way too much nowadays if coop doesnt count.

Cant really think of anything besides a few NeatherRealm games, Titanfall 2 and Age of empires.

Feels like things are dire when Warcraft 3 Reforged is unironically one of the best things i can think of.

Games have gotten so expensive to make that only titles on the scale of Call of Duty can have the financial and human resources to make both a single and multiplayer mode with that kind of ambition.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
G.O.A.T.

dance-uncharted.gif

FritzJ92

Halo Infinite eventually became that, but not at first.

I'd like to also include Forza Horizon 5, Returnal (unless co-op doesn't count), Elden Ring, COD, Borderlands, and GTA V of course.
Edit: Mario Kart, Smash Bros, and Splatoon.

Last edited:

MetalRain

XCOM 2 has excellent campaign and I guess somewhat interesting multiplayer, players really play it differently than AI.

Alebrije

TLOU1....its Multiplayer is great saddly is abandoned by ND and full of cheaters.

Last edited:

TheAssist

I'd say Ghost of Tsushima.

Played it for 50 hours in single player and another 50 in multiplayer. I was actually sad when they made the multiplayer easier, because the combat was so fun that I enjoyed the incredible difficulty on some maps.
Also, really fun in coop as well.
It actually made me purchase PS Online.

Yoshi97

I kinda disagree with COD, its single player is pretty meh imo, at least if you compare it to past fps games like half life, halo, goldneye etc. Splatoon is the only modern thing that really comes to mind. It's pretty embaressing imo that a game like goldeneye (a 1997 game) has a great single player and multiplayer but modern devs can't do it now (especially in the fps genre).

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
Halo 2 in the master chief collection. Halo 2 IMO remains the greatest non-single player only shooter and best non-RPG shooter in existence all these years later. I include it in modern because it was redone in the master chief collection. It looks gorgeous, it still plays incredibly great. It’s one of the GOAT games and as far as I’m concerned it’s the GOAT shooter. The campaign is amazing, the multiplayer is a ton of fun.

Last edited:
Probably doesn't count and some will disagree....but Mass Effect 3.
This eventually became my favorite game of the trilogy and the multi-player is why. Lots of fun and one of the better implementations of horde mode I've ever played.

To answer the OP I'm gonna say Doom 2016.

Last edited:
Top Bottom