• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why is GAF so popular?

There are some advantages/disadvantages to each game board.

Gamefaqs is the easiest to register with, so that allows for a high member volume, but you'll get ass-hats left and right. Not to mention 12 yr. olds.

However, gamefaqs is the best place for GAME SPECIFIC boards. If I want the best return volume on lets say a DMC3 combo video I want to post up, DMC3 gamefaq boards would be the best place.

IGN boards really don't have much of anything...although sometimes you can get some fast news from Jeremy or Ivan who post at the PS2 gen (Insider) boards.

GAF is easy to work with. Two forums (games, and OT) it's quite simple. None of this "PS2 board" "PS2 Online board" "PS2 onilne w/56K board" "PS2 online with braodband board" split ups that so many other forums seem to have.

GAF could be a much much much better place though...if they get rid of that damn laugh "emoticon"....>.>....<.<.... :lol

Gek54

C- Warrior said:
GAF could be a much much much better place though...if they get rid of that damn laugh "emoticon"....>.>....<.<.... :lol

People would still use 'LOLOLOL' , what is the difference?

shpankey

not an idiot
i come for the news... i stay (and stay and stay and stay) for the comedy, which is pure gold at gaf.

_Angelus_

Banned
I like this forum for the news and rumor speculation,thats about it.

I seriously miss the old PSX Nation forum from the late 90's,Dimension-S for the Sega stuff, and Daves Sega Saturn board where everyone spoke about multiple consoles back in the day.

MetalAlien

Banned
At one point in time the NGO forums were the nexus of the entire internet (well the people there thought so).. Then there was GAF... it was the loud neighbor with 50 cars parked out front with maybe 4 of those having car alarms going off..

Then NGO died, GAF lives on...

I like it because not only do you get to see some truely powerful trolls fight it out, but you can see programmers and engineers fight it out too.... love it. AND the fact you can get 5 replies before the page reloads and sends you back to the forum after you have submited a new topic.

the_geche

And whatever happened to Terrapin? He was cool. Someone should make a GAF old school reunion thread.
Yea can somebody answer this? I remember it was his trolling that led me to join GAF way back in 98....

Chiggs

Gold Member
Amir0x said:
GOOGLEINDUSTRY.jpg

Ah, so this is an example of your italic wit, eh, Amir0x? I like it... it's good.

My personal reason for making this forum my main source of news back in the day, DennisDuckFat, whose antics amused me to no end. Also, the megaton made this forum the place of legends.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
I found the forum last summer for the first time, based on a link on Kevin Gifford's video-fenky and a couple mentions of it on some message board for my old college. Then I saw a lot of insiders post here and there were lots of interesting posts about obscure games and people who loved games, with a reasonable level of maturity, so that kept me back.

I found out about this forum was back in 2001, because it's the only gaming website that our high school filters didn't pick up. I think the first thread I viewed was an MGS2 thread where dark10x was arguing with someone about the graphics or something don't remember exactly. Couldn't post until this year though, finally got a non-freemail account, yay!

SpeedingUptoStop

will totally Facebook friend you! *giggle* *LOL*
I think it's so popular because of it's strict submission process. This forum's got a lot of restrictions to go through before you actually post here, which keeps the spammers and asshole's out, which makes it a much more enjoyable place to post at because it keeps the idiots at a minimum. It's the perfect forum set up, simplicity over style (only 3 emoticons?! There's not many forums out there with so little.) And of course, no forum is great with out the posters. The ones here are much more diverse than any other forums I know of. Plus, everybody's got a connection to something on the internet. It's a very good forum IMO.

Truelize

Steroid Distributor
Fifty said:
Because Greg Kasavin posts here.

Because Daniel Schwartz posts here :D

The quality of conversation is better at GAF. And the average age has to be much higher than what is found at most of the other forums.

Dr_Cogent

Banned
It's popular because a lot of breaking news shows up here first.

It's all about the games, that apparently according to Matlock, we don't play :lol

Turing99

Neo Member
A lot of the "insider" vibe of this board has to do with the fact that it is has always had a strong association with the old #vidgames! IRC channel, which has spawned in some way or another what seems like a couple dozen magazine editors and even a few game developers. (Mark, John TV, etc) Playing with utmost funny, indeed.

http://vidgames-club.1up.com/

Whether or not it is a good thing or not to have so many editors whom are essentially obsessed with Japanese culture and games, is another argument all together. Some people, like myself, are more akin to things like RTS games and western dungeon hacks. I would like to see some of these western developers really bring this stuff to consoles, like the new NCSoft division formed by former-Blizzard employees...

I've been around since it started(mainly as a lurker back then) and I think the fact it brought in people who weren't all socially devoid playground punching bags together to talk about shit like games and music and news is why it is so popular. It's certainly one of the best places for fast news than anywhere else. Frequently, you can even have a thoughtful intelligent discussion which I think is very rare at other gaming forums.

Ruas

Banned
i dont know.ive been here since 97 but ive mostly lurked.i kept getting banned(ive been powder,kingmagus,jeffjohn,ghaleon26) when i tried to get involved so now i dont post so much.

MC Safety

I came because Fatbabies.com died a horrible death, and Chet and Erik from Oldmanmurray.com stopped bringing the love.

I stayed, however, because of the love we all feel for each other: the guys who pretend to be women, the women who pretend to be other women, the people who sell naked pictures of their girlfriends for electronics, the intellectuals who come to debate why Nintendo rulz!!!!, and the people with deep emotional problems who come to the off-topic forum to ask whether they should put the guy out they just lit on fire ... it's all one, big happy family.

Seriously. This site makes me laugh and think. That's not all bad.

Ranger X

New are fast here. I remember once there was an announcement made by Ubisoft and i was reading it on GAF. 5 minutes later i'm receiving the email at the job. GAF = faster than our internal news. lol

Lonewolf

Probably because IGN made their forums Insiders-only a couple years back. It made lots of people migrate here, and thus GAF became the most influencal gaming forum in the world.

Instead of going to other gaming sites, the forums pretty much cover everything. Some gaming news comes up and people wanna discuss? A thread will be made and then I just click and look at what people have to say. In my opinion, GAF is a great source for gaming news and a lot of random OT stuff (like I found out a lot more about Tom Cruise and Scientology than I ever cared to know)

The forums are usually really humorous too :)

CO_Andy

Iamthegamer said:
only 3 emoticons?! There's not many forums out there with so little.
I'm w/ Iamthegamer. We need mor smiley faces!

Oh, and possibly a third forum to make our own polls.

Brannon

We need the "OMGWTF" icon (wide eyed).

Everything else has been said, so now more vanity; they come because of me.

I first came here because of the C-

*shakes fist*

BTW, is somethingawful's games forum pay-to-read? I didn't think it was but it won't come up for me.

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
GAF is the best because some of the threads and some posts in the OT are just hilarious sometimes, and of course the Gaming Discussion becuase of all the news(best place for news IMO) and analizes. What I like the most here is that there not 12 or 13 year olds all over the forum which is one of the main reasons I stop posting at GFaqs, you just couldn't have a discussion there like you can here.

JoDark

MS Viral Marketing
Because the site used to be dominated by Nin fanboys... and has now matured into KICK ASS GAMES fanboys... with only a touch of evil system bias here and there... generally towards Nintendo; Neutral with Sony, and a bit against MS.

Making this, believe it or not, one of the least system biased sites on the planet.

Gotta love it, GAF forever.

maharg

idspispopd
Ghost said:
You think GAF is popular, go take a look at the number of users on TXB...7,000 members is nothing.

:lol over ten times as many users have only produced 4 times as many posts and threads. Clearly all those users are significant contributers. Never mind that our record on at once is higher.

Lhadatt

Angelus said:
I like this forum for the news and rumor speculation,thats about it.

I seriously miss the old PSX Nation forum from the late 90's,Dimension-S for the Sega stuff, and Daves Sega Saturn board where everyone spoke about multiple consoles back in the day.
Check out Sega-16. The locals there seem pretty intelligent. They just changed forums, so there isn't a backlog of topics yet, but the site itself is a very good Sega resource.

OpinionatedCyborg said:
Counts for something, but it's not entirely unique, as my status as a member of the BMB attests to (short explanation: evil robot named Bubbleman joins EGM boards, calls people meatbags, gains following, breaks off from EGM, James Mielke threatens to IP bomb Bubbleman's followers, etc, etc, etc).

GAF's popular because it has the latest news, the most intelligent posters, and a lot of different people with different interests.

Ah, the good ol' days. /nostalgia

Amir0x

Banned
Chiggs said:
Ah, so this is an example of your italic wit, eh, Amir0x? I like it... it's good.

Google makes italics for me when I'm bored. But my annoying habit is just like... this.

DDayton

(more a nerd than a geek)
GAF encompasses and overshadows (nearly) all other web gaming resources. If you want any information or news, it can be found here.

Along with the Drinky Puppy club.

I still can't remember what brought me here. It was December 2002. Since then it has been a slow decent into Internet addiction. Thank you GAF may you long continue!

Top Bottom