• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why is GAF so popular?

Amir0x

Banned
What brought me here was DarthWufei. He said one day that GAF gets all game news early. And I was like 'ok.' And then the whole PSP japan price leaked out, and I read it on GAF first. And I was like 'oh, cool.' And then I registered like a few days later!

callous

TNL has less idiots and usually a higher quality of discussion because of that. They also actually play games, but it's slow compared to GAF.

10$ to register for the SA forums? As if.

Bluecondor

Great community, and, this is the best forum on the net in terms of gaming-related news. I lurked for years, and have recently began posting....

Ruzbeh

Banned
Because GAFers are so fast with sales numbers and they always scan Japanese mags really fast. :D Also, there are a lot of GAFers that know the Japanese language, and a lot of people here like Anime, I wonder why...

Probably because GAF is the last of the golden-age forums left. The people that started this place started it because they were all geeks who liked to talk about games and this was the only place where you could do it back when it was wrong for 20 year olds to play videogames. Then after the dot com crash and all the other good sites died (i.e. Next Generation Online) this was the only one left.

Andy787

Banned
I post at GAF for the news and entertainment. Every time I visit GAF there's a plethora of new information to read about/look at/listen to/watch, from nearly every end of the spectrum. And nearly every thread manages to crack me up at least a little bit. It's just nice to have a place on the net where things move very quickly, and you're constantly entertained.

callous said:
TNL has less idiots and usually a higher quality of discussion because of that. They also actually play games...
I disagree with the latter.

TNL does have less idiots, though. But I don't know if that nessesarily raises the quality of discussion, considering most of those same people are either trolls or joke acounts, including myself a large portion of the time, regardless of whether or not we're the typical GameFAQs "idiots." :p

slayn

needs to show more effort.
I originally started lurking here because a friend who posts here told me about it

I started posting because of my hatred for SSX

I stayed because this place compiles all the news the interests me into one place, and of all the forums I've ever read this one has the least amount of stupid.

Gazunta

Turing99 said:
A lot of the "insider" vibe of this board has to do with the fact that it is has always had a strong association with the old #vidgames! IRC channel...

#VIDGAMES FOR LIFE

That's pretty much the #1 reason why I love GAF. Since i can't IRC from work (and am never home long enough to be on IRC anyway) I can use GAF to keep talking to my beloved #vidgames brothers and sisters. Exxy, Fowler, John_tv, Jackfrost, Darknight, Rugalz, Argyle, Chespace, Prisoner, Big_Man, Mark MacD, Milkman, Fenegy, Sam K, DaveT, SuperPac, Parisi, Yusaku, Mosaic, GG-Duo...there's loads more I can't recall right now. :) (Because it's late at night, not because there's no love)

Wait. Drinky Crow is Castellan? As in old school #vidgames Castellan?! How many other #vidgames crew are lurking here?!

Came here because ArcadeStickMonk suggested I do so. Also it's a good source for tidbits of information, reactions to games I'm on the fence about getting and the wit and comedy isn't too shabby.

I'm not really sure what criteria are used to decide who gets in or not, if there even are criteria or things such as that but once here you kind of feel a bit like it sets you apart from those acursed "casuals." :D

Within that vein.. maybe we should have shirts made or something, since we're all such great pals and the like. We can wear 'em around and people will be all like "GAF" what's that? And we can all just sort of nod to ourselves, our superiority over the rest of mankind confirmed once again.

DDayton

(more a nerd than a geek)
Excelion said:
if you only play japanese console games, worship sony and haven't updated your bookmarks in 3 years that is.

Boy, someone's bitter. I hate Sony and I love this place... then again, I also hate Microsoft, so that could explain why I fit in, eh?

I still think my account approval was funny... I was waiting for a month or two, then I happened to purchase a used copy of Tube Sliders off Amazon. The guy selling it sent me an e-mail, asking if I had recently applied for a GAF membership -- and I was in.

So folks, the trick is to GIVE THE MODS MONEY.

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
Because we invented the:

Megaton.01.jpg

Gattsu25

Banned
mashoutposse showed me this place, indirectly

nice news coverage (may not be the best but I'll live) some insiders and a managable number of idiots (getting worse, though)

I came because of the great MLB thread from last year in Off-Topic. :lol

I stayed because of the great gaming news and opinions.

Also, lol @ OpinionatedCyborg. God bless the BMB and their holy war with the EGM forums.
*salutes*

Lhadatt

Andy787 RE: TNL said:
I disagree with the latter.
Indeed.

Andy787 said:
TNL does have less idiots, though. But I don't know if that nessesarily raises the quality of discussion, considering most of those same people are either trolls or joke acounts, including myself a large portion of the time, regardless of whether or not we're the typical GameFAQs "idiots." :p
People at TNL stopped playing games long ago. True, they're smarter than your average forum wonk, but they've also developed quite the mean streak. The trolling here pales by comparison - even when you take into account Teh Drinky Brigade.

Andy787 said:
I post at GAF for the news and entertainment. Every time I visit GAF there's a plethora of new information to read about/look at/listen to/watch, from nearly every end of the spectrum. And nearly every thread manages to crack me up at least a little bit. It's just nice to have a place on the net where things move very quickly, and you're constantly entertained.
This is why this is my primary forum, even though I don't post much. That, and GN's forum is desparately trying to steal the slowness crown from Ye Olde Neomega. :)

I just like the fact that people who actually read the threads, post, and not just lurk so many other forums. I stumbled on this place when the n-philes forums let me down for having too few rational posts.

Feng Shui

About #vidgames, I never went there, but I remember reading about it. *Looks through old magazines, finds May 1996 Intelligent Gamer's Fusion* "IG Editors on IRC" includes such people as John_R and SuperPac. Then there are these minor profiles of "Gamers You'll See on #Vidgames"

Nickhname: Drknight
Nick Origin: Batman reference
Page: None
Fave Game: Street Fighter 2

Nickhname: Torgo_X
Nick Origin: From "Manos: the Hands of Fate"
Page: None
Fave Game: Final Fantasy 5 (JPN)

13-year-old JoshuaJSlone's limited IRC time taking advantage of a 1-800 number was spent hanging out with a different set of folks (a channel which interestingly for the purposes of this paragraph grew out of a small gaming message board), but I thought #vidgames sounded so cool. Scanning through these pages, though, I don't see that it mentions what server/network the channel is on. I wonder if splinter #vidgames ensued on various networks.

proud lurker of ~6 years i'd say.

i remember when the forums were still on the main GA page, red links and all.

i like the "up to the minute" video game news, though the i couldnt disagree more with the political views of most of the forum. either way, great community with some funny ass posts.

A lot of the "insider" vibe of this board has to do with the fact that it is has always had a strong association with the old #vidgames! IRC channel, which has spawned in some way or another what seems like a couple dozen magazine editors and even a few game developers. (Mark, John TV, etc) Playing with utmost funny, indeed.

I was an op on #vidgames back around '96 and this place definitely has a similar vibe to it. IMO #vidgames was, at the time, the best online community where being a serious adult console gamer was 'acceptable', outside of a few newsgroups and Genie/Compuserve boards that tended to be more specialized.

I belong to a few smaller boards that have equally 'mature' discussion, but GAF is certainly without peer among the larger boards in that respect.

JayFro

Banned
I remember coming to Gaming Age about 3 years ago but I can't remember exactly how I stumbled upon it. It was probably a direct link from a TXB post someone had made years ago. The reason I keep coming back is the more mature vibe in posting, sales numbers, and of course the insiders who always have things to say that you won't see anywhere else. They also do a great job of weeding out the people that would make this place a nightmare to be a part of. Like the poster above me said, I don't agree with most of the people on these forums politically but when it comes to gaming this is a great place.

milanbaros

Member?
I came here for the sales data initially but it turned out to that the posters here have a higher than normal level of intellect compared to other forums which made me want to post. You can actually discuss things on this forum.

MetalAlien

Banned
MrPing1000 said:
I still can't remember what brought me here. It was December 2002. Since then it has been a slow decent into Internet addiction. Thank you GAF may you long continue!

The Young Ones rock! I have the whole series on DVD...

viv.gif

Kiriku

SWEDISH PERFECTION
Not to derail the thread even further, but I still remember the time when I joined. After lurking for a couple of months, I decided to make my first post. My very first post started a new thread instead of replying in the correct thread though. :lol People got pretty upset, but I decided to stick around anyway.
Man, that was like 5 years ago...I actually found GAF through the Gaming Age front page, which I used to visit and enjoy back in the days. :D

Azih introduced me to this place back when it had its own anime section and stuff. I think in 99. Right around ***'s blow up over armada 2. Man such crazy characters back in the day...Cool8man, Lethargic Gamer, Gumby, gigadent and all the futamis.

The forums use to move insanely fast when OT and GAming were one.

john tv

JoshuaJSlone said:
Feng Shui

About #vidgames, I never went there, but I remember reading about it. *Looks through old magazines, finds May 1996 Intelligent Gamer's Fusion* "IG Editors on IRC" includes such people as John_R and SuperPac. Then there are these minor profiles of "Gamers You'll See on #Vidgames"

13-year-old JoshuaJSlone's limited IRC time taking advantage of a 1-800 number was spent hanging out with a different set of folks (a channel which interestingly for the purposes of this paragraph grew out of a small gaming message board), but I thought #vidgames sounded so cool. Scanning through these pages, though, I don't see that it mentions what server/network the channel is on. I wonder if splinter #vidgames ensued on various networks.
We were on good ol' EFnet for a long, long time before finally moving off to more stable ground. I forget the order in which it went, but we spent most of our post-EFnet time on Esper and ETG.

You'd be amazed how many industry people came and went through #vidgames. For many years it was far and away the best place on the net to hang around for the latest game news and insider info, much like GAF is today (though we were a bit more ruthless with the trolls and idiots). :)

Most of us regulars spent the better part of a decade hanging out in there pretty much every day. I'll never forget those days as long as I live. Good times, man, good times.

beermonkey@tehbias said:
I was an op on #vidgames back around '96
What was your nick?

SatelliteOfLove said:
OpinionatedCyborg said:
Counts for something, but it's not entirely unique, as my status as a member of the BMB attests to (short explanation: evil robot named Bubbleman joins EGM boards, calls people meatbags, gains following, breaks off from EGM, James Mielke threatens to IP bomb Bubbleman's followers, etc, etc, etc).

GAF's popular because it has the latest news, the most intelligent posters, and a lot of different people with different interests.

Ah, the good ol' days. /nostalgia

Ah, I miss gamers.com, 1up just isn't the same.

What was your nick?

Saintmick. You had me write a 'letter to the editor' for the first issue of IG. It's been a long time; I remember you, Marty, Sinz, Shory, Rugalz, Superpac, Mosaic, and some others, but there's got to be a ton that I don't.

I also remember the 4Play guys stopping by a lot and getting a lot of shit, especially Doug.

Eventually I was spending most of my time on #rgvc, where I was also an op and ran a bot, but later I quit IRC all together...I was allowing it to suck up way too much of my time.

Gazunta

*feels the #vidgames love*

There's still a #vidgames on irc.enterthegame.com, but it's pretty quiet a lot of the time. I think there's still a #vidgames on efnet, too. Not quite sure. I know for a while there were a few splinter #vidgames as everyone couldnt agree on server moves, op rules, etc. The mod bickering on GAF had nothing on us back in the day :)

And John's right about the number of industry people that moved through there - I'd also add that the channel created a lot of industry people. I know I wouldn't be working in the biz now if it wasn't for that damn channel :)

GAF is popular because we're usually the first place that gets the latest video game related news.

Pure and simple.

Oh, that, and GAF bans idiots.

Excelion

Banned
Damn....you Xbots or Ninty lovers have habitual hate and conspiracy theories
see this Sin2 thread, those screens are 1 day old and there are new screens out there since a few hours. This would have never happened 2 years ago. Everytime Klee posted something, the first reply was "old", it's not the case anymore but he is still as slow as before.

etiolate

Banned
It's a good information source.

I never went to #vidgames, but I remember #videogames and it being a den of retardation.

INTERNET

SERIOUS BUSINESS
sp0rsk said:
SA GAmes is more focused on playing games

were kinda more of a news site really
In an interesting parallel, industry insiders at SA tend to be developers, whereas here they are more likely to be 'journalists'. Hmmm...

callous said:
10$ to register for the SA forums? As if.

It's for the best, you would probably lose your :10bux: almost immediately anyway for using 15-year-old catchphrases.

Without a doubt though, GAF is the best place to find news almost immediately from any number of sources.

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
INTERNET said:
In an interesting parallel, industry insiders at SA tend to be developers, whereas here they are more likely to be 'journalists'. Hmmm...

It's for the best, you would probably lose your :10bux: almost immediately anyway for using 15-year-old catchphrases.

Without a doubt though, GAF is the best place to find news almost immediately from any number of sources.

oh we have our fair share of devs here.

D

dicklaurent

Unconfirmed Member
I like GAF simply because it's full of assholes. That's pretty much the only reason I read it, oh, and the scans from neo. Thanks, assholes.

Top Bottom