• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why is Third Strike the end of Street Fighter's story?

Scotia

Banned
He's not wrong about certain characters, though. How many people would be excited to see Twelve as the next SF V character?

It all comes down to personal preference really. I don't like Twelve and I'd rather not see him playable again (note playable) but if someone out there really likes him then who are we to say he should never be in a Street Fighter game again?

NEO0MJ

It all comes down to personal preference really. I don't like Twelve and I'd rather not see him playable again (note playable) but if someone out there really likes him then who are we to say he should never be in a Street Fighter game again?

I like Gen but I know he's not a priority for Capcom

When Dhalsim was revealed in SF5, people weren't exactly jumping for joy...

Dhalsim at the very least has legacy on his side and is a fighting game icon.

erlim

yes, that talented of a member
The characters are in their 50s now, but you could set it right after 3S. Also, they are all straight edge martial artists, so they would be closer to Tom Cruise than Johnny Depp.

If you set a game post-SF4 but pre-SF3 you basically have access to the entire roster (including most if not all of 3S itself). Pretty much a no-brainer option, especially when you're shifting into a completely new release paradigm/monetization in terms of additional content (the Season DLC model vs. full release revisions) and don't really know how many characters you're going to be adding post-release initially.

leroidys

The most popular characters being like 4 or 5 out of the dozen.

I can believe people would be hype for Q or Makoto, but Necro? Twelve? Remy? Not a chance. I actually think people would be pissed about the twins or Elena right now.

I want Necro and Twelve in. But human Necro, and maybe Ten or Eleven instead of twelve. I've seen this sentiment elsewhere too.

Have to be honest, wouldn't be that excited to see Remy come back, but he fit well in the 3S roster.

D3VI0US

SF story is garbage, not that MK9 is great but it really set the bar for fighting game story even though MKX wasn't a great follow up.

ZdkDzk

Just to be clear, no one is dead in 3, who wasn't already dead in 2Alpha. Nobody who was retconned back to life in 4/V are ever mentioned in 3.

The reason characters don't show up in 3 is because they just aren't in the game. 3 is like Alpha, where a bunch of random fighters wander around doing their own thing, and sometimes some of them meet each other. In a theoretical 4th Strike, every character in the franchise (except Gen/Charlie because of V) could show up without retcons.

The most popular characters being like 4 or 5 out of the dozen.

I can believe people would be hype for Q or Makoto, but Necro? Twelve? Remy? Not a chance. I actually think people would be pissed about the twins or Elena right now.
I would hate for Elena getting that kind of collateral damage due to how terrible 4 was.

I'd be pretty hyped for Necro though. He's more interesting a design than either Dhalsim or Blanka. People can hate some of the 3S additions, but 2 still had the likes of freakin' T. Hawk and Deejay.

Sheroking

I would hate for Elena getting that kind of collateral damage due to how terrible 4 was.

Aside from people admiring her idle animation, she was basically a complete non-entity during 3. Nobody cared. Nobody celebrated her return in SFxT or her port over to USF4.

She is hated now because she was broken in the later days of 4, but Chun Li isn't hated and she was way more broken for the entirety of 3S.

Snakeyes

No clue. As someone who skimmed through the unofficial compilation of SF canon before SFIV's release, there would be nothing truly problematic about a Street Fighter set in the 2010s, let alone the early 2000s.

Age of the most popular SF characters in 2010 (year of birth in brackets):

Ryu (1964) - 46
Ken (1965) - 45
Chun Li (1968) - 42
Guile (1960) - 50
Zangief (1956) - 54
Dhalsim - (1952) - 58
Sagat (1955) - 55
Balrog (1968) - 42
Vega (1967) - 43
Bison (unknown) - Who cares, dude swaps bodies at will and could look the way he did in SF2 for centuries.
Cammy (1974) - 36
Akuma (1945?) - 65, which is pretty old but just like other fictional martial arts masters, Akuma only gets stronger as he ages.
Sakura (1973) - 37
Karin (1973) - 37
Juri (25 in 1994) - 39

While some may be getting up there in age, remember that these are literally superhuman martial arts masters, and that they exist in a series where a 140 year-old man flies around the globe by riding on top of a commercial jet.

Aside from people admiring he idle animation, she was basically a complete non-entity during 3. Nobody cared.
I cared. He had fun juggles and man did he excel with 3's rubbery animation style. His stylistic melding of Blanka and Dhalsim were much cooler than either of those characters individually. He also had some good themes and had a lot of personality.

Oops, somehow I completely read the first version of the post with Necro in mind.

I still cared about Elena. She was a lot of fun to play but didn't translate well into how stiff and rigid everything about 4 was. She was like a less creepy Cammy, and her stage was great (2I, not the one from 3S).

mindsale

If they really need to get a character in after everyone has supposedly aged too much (and don't want an Overwatch "All Old Dudes" scenario), oh no, Shadaloo swapped their body with a pupil. Or, before it's destruction, Shadaloo made a robot version of that character's fighting style.

Roboculus

Well SF5's story feels like it's bridging the gap to SF3 so I think the possibility of them going past SF3 storywise is a lot more likely nowadays compared to a decade ago.

mindsale

Do you think an Ultra Street Fighter III: Third Strike would sell better on the Switch than Ultra Street Fighter II because of its graphical and mechanical enhancements, or worse because it doesn't play nearly to the level of nostalgia as 2?

Edit: swapped perform with sell. Edited hypothetical title.

Third Strike took place in 1998, so there's tons of time to have fighters reappearing after it without being too old. Although I don't think they'll even bother with years anymore.

Neoxon

Is Bison actually dead by the time SF3 happens? People keep saying that but isn't that just based on the outdated idea that he canonically died in SF2?

Actually, is anyone even dead? SF4 shows that Rose and Gen are still kicking too.
Yup, Bison is legit dead as of the SFV General Story. Also, it seems like Gen dies in Akuma's SFV story.

.la1n

Capcom is like Ridley Scott; afraid to move forward so they keep plugging gaps. At least the season structure of SF V means we might finally get past third strike.

zenspider

Why do you care about the story in a game that's designed for the multiplayer?

I think it's more that the roster is hamstrung by the timeline rather than anyone (most) caring about the story.

SFV has done a good job so far of bringing in SFIII elements and setting up a post-3S future should they want.

zenspider

Do you think an Ultra Street Fighter III: Third Strike would sell better on the Switch than Ultra Street Fighter II because of its graphical and mechanical enhancements, or worse because it doesn't play nearly to the level of nostalgia as 2?

Worse now with where the fanbase is, but down the road? Wow. Didn't even know how bad I'd want that. Evil Yun and Violent Yang incoming.

I actually laughed out loud at this.

I don't see what's so funny.

Story didnt make it so that sfv had 5000 entrants at evo.

Story isnt the reason sfv is on tbs now.

I hate that Capcom has to cater to casuals that play the game wrong.

Instead of story they should dedicate their resources to what actually matters, like the FGC.

Sheroking

I cared. He had fun juggles and man did he excel with 3's rubbery animation style. His stylistic melding of Blanka and Dhalsim were much cooler than either of those characters individually. He also had some good themes and had a lot of personality.

Oops, somehow I completely read the first version of the post with Necro in mind.

I still cared about Elena. She was a lot of fun to play but didn't translate well into how stiff and rigid everything about 4 was. She was like a less creepy Cammy, and her stage was great (2I, not the one from 3S).

Anecdotally, you'll find people who cared for every character in every fighting game ever.

People just weren't playing much of these characters, and when it came to demand for these characters to join new games, most of them don't have tons of people pushing for their inclusion.

Blues1990

If they really need to get a character in after everyone has supposedly aged too much (and don't want an Overwatch "All Old Dudes" scenario), oh no, Shadaloo swapped their body with a pupil. Or, before it's destruction, Shadaloo made a robot version of that character's fighting style.
People seriously have an issue with playing fictional characters that are 50+ years of age? I find that to be one of Overwatch's more admirable traits, and would be fine if the veterans of SFII's cast reflect their age.

Eolz

USF3 wouldn't sell more, mainly due to nostalgia and the mainstream appeal, but it would still sell, just to a different audience.
Although I fear a lot of those hardcore fans would snob it for being on Switch.

Instead of story they should dedicate their resources to what actually matters, like the FGC.

No, but it's the reason that SFV is a sales failure for Capcom. They've been trying for a year to make the game more appealing to a mainstream audience again.

Your post is making me upset. I really hope this is sarcasm.

Sheroking

No, but it's the reason that SFV is a sales failure for Capcom. They've been trying for a year to make the game more appealing to a mainstream audience again.

lol.

SF4 and SF5's entire game design principle was to make the game more accessible to casual audiences. SF4 included comeback mechanics and brought the game back to a place that more closely resembled SF2. SF5 included an input buffer to remove execution barriers for shitty players who couldn't even comprehend hitting one frame links.

They tried to have the best of both worlds and got shit on mainstream audiences and press who didn't see enough content to justify the full retail price. Had it been a $30 release, marketed to the core and not to millions - it would have avoided early bad press and been perceived in an entirely different way.

The future of fighting games is in the esport realm. Not selling millions to casuals who will not buy all the DLC, who will not support the Pro Tour, who will not play the game past it's release window.

lol.

SF4 and SF5's entire game design principle was to make the game more accessible to casual audiences. SF4 included comeback mechanics and brought the game back to a place that more closely resembled SF2. SF5 included an input buffer to remove execution barriers for shitty players who couldn't even comprehend hitting one frame links.

They tried to have the best of both worlds and got shit on mainstream audiences and press who didn't see enough content to justify the full retail price. Had it been a $30 release, marketed to the core and not to millions - it would have avoided early bad press and been perceived in an entirely different way.

The future of fighting games is in the esport realm. Not selling millions to casuals who will not buy all the DLC, who will not support the Pro Tour, who will not play the game past it's release window.

Mortal Kombat and Injustice take a massive shit all over your argument.

- J - D -

Because Capcom in 90's and early aughts was a much different company than Capcom a decade later. They were in a place that allowed them to experiment. The 90's bubble was nothing if not experimental.

Top Bottom