• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why is Third Strike the end of Street Fighter's story?

cj_iwakura

No clue. As someone who skimmed through the unofficial compilation of SF canon before SFIV's release, there would be nothing truly problematic about a Street Fighter set in the 2010s, let alone the early 2000s.

Age of the most popular SF characters in 2010 (year of birth in brackets):

Ryu (1964) - 46
Ken (1965) - 45
Chun Li (1968) - 42
Guile (1960) - 50
Zangief (1956) - 54
Dhalsim - (1952) - 58
Sagat (1955) - 55
Balrog (1968) - 42
Vega (1967) - 43
Bison (unknown) - Who cares, dude swaps bodies at will and could look the way he did in SF2 for centuries.
Cammy (1974) - 36
Akuma (1945?) - 65, which is pretty old but just like other fictional martial arts masters, Akuma only gets stronger as he ages.
Sakura (1973) - 37
Karin (1973) - 37
Juri (25 in 1994) - 39

While some may be getting up there in age, remember that these are literally superhuman martial arts masters, and that they exist in a series where a 140 year-old man flies around the globe by riding on top of a commercial jet.

This is as of V or 3? Sakura and Karin should only be in their 20s, they were teenagers during Alpha.

Sheroking

You can even look to Overwatch. Sure it's not a fighter, but it the game succeeded in attracting both casual and competetive players.

It did so by being a shooter.

In the end, Overwatch will generate far more revenue as a competitive game than it will as a casual one. Competitive players will sink far more money and time and hardcore fans will generate far more for Blizzard as a competitive game.

That's why there won't be an Overwatch 2 any time soon. Selling more copies isn't worth as much as farming the games playerbase as pursuing it as an esport. It's no different with fighting games.

The best SF games from a competitive standpoint imo:

1) 3s
2) A2
3) USF4

Capcom has only released one game full of content and that was alpha 3, otherwise every other sf is pretty barebones unless some consider arcade mode a game seller. Granted, there's different type of players those that just want some arcade ladder with a cutsscene, press mindless buttons vs a friend or the dedicated player.

Eolz

lol.

SF4 and SF5's entire game design principle was to make the game more accessible to casual audiences. SF4 included comeback mechanics and brought the game back to a place that more closely resembled SF2. SF5 included an input buffer to remove execution barriers for shitty players who couldn't even comprehend hitting one frame links.

They tried to have the best of both worlds and got shit on mainstream audiences and press who didn't see enough content to justify the full retail price. Had it been a $30 release, marketed to the core and not to millions - it would have avoided early bad press and been perceived in an entirely different way.

The future of fighting games is in the esport realm. Not selling millions to casuals who will not buy all the DLC, who will not support the Pro Tour, who will not play the game past it's release window.

But in terms of marketing and features, SFV was a game for hardcore players at launch.
Casuals have seen that, and while it had a nice launch, a lot of casuals stopped playing quickly.
Do you think casuals read about those mechanic changes? They've seen the content wasn't for them, and that the game wasn't ready. The end.

If companies were going for esports only, their budget would be really different.

Fraeon

You can even look to Overwatch. Sure it's not a fighter, but it the game succeeded in attracting both casual and competetive players.

The story content for Overwatch is arguably even thinner than SF5.

I mean sure, they do have those really cool CG trailers that they do but none of that has anything to do what actually happens in the actual game.

But really, if Capcom really wanted to do something worthwhile with Street Fighter's story they'd just reboot the whole franchise and start from the first game. The lore isn't really that well crafted that there'd be much of a loss and they could actually start building the whole thing from scratch.

Kai

Without spoiling - SF6 if there is one will be post SF3 based on the story of SFV. Also, the argument of focusing on the more known cast of SF2 to appeal to a wider audience is now moot given that SF5 didn't sell beyond the hardcore fighting game community. If they want to build on the fighting game community now - they can pivot character wise and then use the fgc base to grow again rather than trying to capture the 90's SF2 audience that has aged out and the SF4 audience that has dwindled to the 2 million FGC now.

It did so by being a shooter.

In the end, Overwatch will generate far more revenue as a competitive game than it will as a casual one. Competitive players will sink far more money and time and hardcore fans will generate far more for Blizzard as a competitive game.

That's why there won't be an Overwatch 2 any time soon. Selling more copies isn't worth as much as farming the games playerbase as pursuing it as an esport. It's no different with fighting games.

It is different for fighting games. Because barely anyone plays fighting games.

Guile retired and came back like 3 times already, he could easily come back again after Third Strike, especially if there is really a connection between Remy and Charlie.

As for people dying... this shouldn't even be an argument after Gouken's appearance in SFIV.

I don't see what's so funny.

Story didnt make it so that sfv had 5000 entrants at evo.

Story isnt the reason sfv is on tbs now.

I hate that Capcom has to cater to casuals that play the game wrong.

Instead of story they should dedicate their resources to what actually matters, like the FGC.

FGC alone can't support the game. Also people can enjoy the game in other way. Not everyone takes things as seriously as you do. It's a video game after all

I find it surprising you say something like this after capcom did exactly what you suggest and focused on FGC instead of the general publish and the game sold like shit at launch.

Raging Spaniard

If they are Dutch, upright and breathing they are more racist than your favorite player
Why do you care about the story in a game that's designed for the multiplayer?

I see this in most fighting game threads and I just dont get why its so hard to understand.

This shit is not Theory Fighter, man, lots of people get into the franchise because they love the characters, the moves and the settings. Street Fighter II was so special because it gave each character a reason for being there and you could find one you could relate to due to his/her background and follow their story and get involved with it.

I care about the fighting and the MP of course, but moreso I care about the whole package, thats when SF really hits the spot for me, when the character cast, the story, the graphics, music and the gameplay all work well together to create an experience I care about top to bottom.

Instead of story they should dedicate their resources to what actually matters, like the FGC.

I've heard this argument a thousand times. But "play the game wrong". Woah, get over yourself.

antibolo

Banned

That shit again?

Ganondorfo

Its crazy to know that Third Strike is really the official 3 of this popular series. Most people outside of Gaf think that Alpha 3 is the real popular SF2 successor.

SargerusBR

I love Pokken!
Old Ryu in SF6 pls
old_ryu_concept_by_molee.jpg

Or at least go wild on character design like this concept art from SF5

Meanwhile Capcom is doing everything it can to make their next fighting game release friendly towards casuals

Evilisk

This thread seems to be packed with people who didn't play SFV and have some weirdly hard opinions on all this.

SFV is all about SF3 connections. They aren't shying away from it at all. Fall of Shadoloo, rise of the Illuminati is exactly where SFV sits. New and returning characters alike with lots of SF3 hooks. Story mode that straight up ends with
a Gill reveal
and Helen is revealed to be Kolin.

SF4 had to happen as it did but it was basically Alpha 4, way more about getting all the returning favorites in. SFV is very much part of the same continuity as the other mainline games with no caveats at all.

Why are people even talking about SF3 being retconned in here? So much fanservice for SF3 fans in V.

This post nails it.

SF4 turned out the way it did to bring back interest in the series. SFV is being used to bridge that gap between SF4/2 and SF3 (as well as Shadaloo to Illuminati). Ono and team have had the right idea so far, even if the execution hasn't been the best

Now if SF6 somehow ends up still being before SF3, then it'd be fair to call them out on avoiding SF3.

But the stories are so terrible and not even the focus of fighting games. If you want that type of experience why not play an action game instead?

The real stories are in esports. You guys are missing out.

I don't think most action game stories are any better

Also I enjoy both the actual fg stories, and esport stories just fine

It's not like they couldn't bring back m bison if they really wanted to.

I'm not sure at all why they're so bothered by M Bison being dead when they've already brought back fucking Gouken.

Do fans/Capcom actually care about Street Fighter's story? It's incoherent and full of retcons.

I still care, though it's a whole lot less than I used to

I kinda like Tekken's approach of replacing characters who are not really mentioned in the story with a fresh version, aka Bruce more or less being replaced by Josie in Tekken 7. Even if we don't really like Josie its hard to complain against seeing Bruce gone when the only real appeal is by his fans/users and not being an essential part of the lore/universe.

Like someone else mentioned in Soul Calibur 5, they basically replaced their Ryu and Ken's with their new roster choices, something that would never fly.

Neoxon

Don't Sakura and Ibuki's appearances in SFIV contradict the timeline?
Not really Sakura, but Ibuki may very well be a freshman or sophomore as of SFIV.

This thread seems to be packed with people who didn't play SFV and have some weirdly hard opinions on all this.

SFV is all about SF3 connections. They aren't shying away from it at all. Fall of Shadoloo, rise of the Illuminati is exactly where SFV sits. New and returning characters alike with lots of SF3 hooks. Story mode that straight up ends with
a Gill reveal
and Helen is revealed to be Kolin.

SF4 had to happen as it did but it was basically Alpha 4, way more about getting all the returning favorites in. SFV is very much part of the same continuity as the other mainline games with no caveats at all.

Why are people even talking about SF3 being retconned in here? So much fanservice for SF3 fans in V.
This post basically nails it. SFV opened the door for future SF games to continue past SFIII in the timeline.

LakeEarth

Charlie killed him? I remember he eventually triumphs over Bison near the end but for some reason I never came away thinking he was dead.

Nope, you see (SF5 spoilers)
Nash taking down Bison
would make narrative sense and complete Nash's character arc. Capcom can't be having that shit!
Nash jumps on Bison, sets himself off and explodes, sacrificing himself to take down Bison... but through the dust, Bison walks out with a smile on his face like nothing happened. Nash's first death, his resurrection, his progression through the entire story mode, being one of the main driving forces of the SF5 plot .... dies for nothing.

Of course, it would make a million times more sense if
they switched Bison to his battle damaged "story mode" outfit, which would explain why that costume is called his "story-mode" costume in the first place. But they didn't, so in the end, Nash is a useless loser who dies twice and no one cares. Oh, and Necalli loses almost every match he's in in the story mode, so he's a fucking loser too.

In the end, the only character that comes out of the story mode looking good is Rashid.

Zero-ELEC

Banned
Don't Sakura and Ibuki's appearances in SFIV contradict the timeline?

Nah, Ibuki is like 14-15 during USFIV, which makes sense if she's entering highschool. Sakura is ~22, she just wears her uniform as her battle outfit. Yes it's dumb, Sakura is dumb. I hope if she appears in V she gets her other official outfit as a gym teacher.

EDIT: Have official birthdates and mostly official plot dates. SFV would probably be the year after USFIV, though I don't remember if they ever mention how long it's been since S.I.N. fell.

Bison/Dictator has gotta be the worst example of writing in any fighting game ever.

The dude has literally had his soul sent straight to hell from Akuma, and in SFV
Nash blew both them up in an explosion that killed himself but didn't phase Bison
... yet "lol naw he's still alive"

Seriously, fuck this stupid Bison fanservice that makes Power Rangers look like Citizen Kane-level writing.

Garlador

they probably don't want to make their main characters old. people don't buy old people games i guess.
Hence why I love NRS games so much.

Mid-40s Sonya Blade, dad-jokes Johnny Cage, old man Liu Kang, "too old for this" Jax, master sifu Sub-Zero...

It's great. Japanese fighters flee in terror at the idea of a sexy female character sticking around to middle age (short of "magic youth serums or time travel" solutions), while grumpy middle aged mom Sonya is better than ever.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
Or at least go wild on character design like this concept art from SF5

screen.jpg
This looks so cool, why didn't they go with these designs!?

Metzhara

I think it's because way too many characters get killed off before SF3?

Capcom should probably just do a full reboot of the canon. It's too complex for its own good and no one cares any way.

Hmm...
Totally doable with MVC Infinite right? Reality Gem sorta... rerolls... the Universe?
Secretly leaves threads to unravel when they need another reboot.

Pompadour

The answer is very few people played SF3 so if Capcom's goal is to focus more on SF's story with V, and they stated as much, they can't just start the game off after III. They could but the different SF games don't feel that connected to begin with.

I don't think it matters that much, personally, because it's not like SF3 said that every SF fighter not in that game is dead. They really don't touch on what happened between the games, mostly because the majority of the cast is brand new. They could have started after 3 and handwaved most of the stuff that happened there. The story in SF is mostly the same thing over and over anyway, only with 3 being a real departure (and they just replaced one evil organization with another).

This looks so cool, why didn't they go with these designs!?

Because they look terrible. It literally looks like what I came up with in junior high when I was trying to envision a gritty sequel to SF3 (this was before SF4) and what Ryu and Bison would look like older.

Also, I'm glad everyone loves Hot Ryu but I got so sick of people saying an older Ryu needed a beard. He had gone through puberty already in every Street Fighter. He also was equally homeless. If the guy can find the time to shave then I'm not sure what would have changed in his life to suddenly sprout a full beard.

Cepheus

Because Bison is dead by Third Strike, so is Gill, practically half the old fighters have retired (characters like Honda/Fei Long/Dee Jay just entered a couple of tournaments to advertise stuff, and other characters like T. Hawk only really story-relevant for one game and they don't have a reason to be hanging around anymore), and Capcom had no idea what to do story-wise next short of making old-man Akuma the final boss of the next Street Fighter. Coupled with the fact that 3S bombed, unfortunately, I don't blame them for being afraid to try new things after 3 even though it messed up the timeline with so many 3 characters who were supposedly entering SF tournaments for the first time in that game series suddenly showing up in 4 which was set before it. Hugo, Ibuki, Dudley, Elena, the twins etc.

And not going past 3 has made things awkward story-wise in later games, for example in Street Fighter 4 the tournament couldn't be the 4th World Warrior tournament since it's set before 3, which was the 3rd World Warrior tournament, so they just wrote it off as a random one organised by SIN, and there is no tournament in Street Fighter 5.

I think SF5 was them trying to see how much they could get away with in progressing the storyline without making it set after 3. There's no way that SF6, if there ever is one, will be set before 3 now.

Because SFIII isn't very popular for various reasons and a game set after it would need acknowledge it happened. If anything they seem to be picking some good bits and retconning the rest.

I hope the next game takes place after 3rd Strike.

I gotta see how Ryu looks after dat Oro training.

I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of stuff is disregarded, though. Akuma's SnH transcended into demonic levels in SFV whereas he's still relatively normal in SF3. He's just a bit older there.

Village

They are trying to ease people into sf3 instead of dropping them in the deep pool with wildly unknown dudes like in 3s. Particularly in 5 with story canonical 3s characters

This is as of V or 3? Sakura and Karin should only be in their 20s, they were teenagers during Alpha.

IIRC Alpha games took places in the late 80s maybe early 90s. Hell, 89-90 seems about right since Sakura is supposed to be 16 at the time. She'll be in her 40s if they do a SF in the 2010s.

Still want one with her and Karin in the Ryu/Ken roles with Mel and Dhalsim's daughter and who knows else in there.

Top Bottom