• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why Sony Will Never Make The PS Vita 2

This was and interesting watch and follows much of what I have been thinking.
The Portal was the only real option for Sony. Even Nintendo understood this with the Switch.

analog_future

Resident Crybaby
Traditional handhelds like the Vita 2 just don't make any sense any more. Consumers are no longer interested in having to purchase a completely different subset of games just to be used speciically on a single mobile device. They want to take their console/PC/big screen games with them on the go.

That's why the Switch, Steam Deck, and streaming handhelds are the future.

Colin Farrell Reaction GIF

I don't know

I actually disagree entirely with the premise here, that premise being either they could put a stand-alone Vita 2 or a PS5 portable.

They could put out a "PS4 Pro" Portable that plays ALL PS4 games and having an NVME SSD and a bit more horsepower could play scaled-down PS5 games.

The question is around the timing of this and the price. As gaming moves forward, I expect Sony will keep scalability in mind across the PlayStation portfolio.

sinnergy

Sony never made good portable games .. oops i said it .

They made portable PS games .. Nintendo for example tailors their portable experiences.. if they want , they can make a dedicated portable .

Last edited:

AmuroChan

Now that all their games are going to PC (eventually), a Steam Deck basically fills the space of a "Vita 2". The days of a dedicated handheld with its own dedicated games library are gone. It's not financially viable and Sony currently can barely support the PS5 with enough 1st party games.

Last edited:

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
Don't care, we have Steam Deck that spawned entire PC handheld market. Plus there's shit ton of less powerful handhelds for emulation. Oh, and then there's Switch and inevitable Switch 2.

Handheld gaming is better than ever and getting better with every day.

Last edited:
I actually disagree entirely with the premise here, that premise being either they could put a stand-alone Vita 2 or a PS5 portable.

They could put out a "PS4 Pro" Portable that plays ALL PS4 games and having an NVME SSD and a bit more horsepower could play scaled-down PS5 games.

The question is around the timing of this and the price. As gaming moves forward, I expect Sony will keep scalability in mind across the PlayStation portfolio.

Absolutely not. lol. What's your essentially describing is a portable Series S, which would just piss off developers. And even if your saying PS4 only games, I seriously doubt Sony would be interested in that due to the backlash of people buying this and complaining about never getting any "new" games.

Don't care, we have Steam Deck that spawn entire PC handheld market and shit ton of less powerful handhelds for emulation. Oh, and then there's Switch and inevitable Switch 2.

You don't care, yet you still post something in the thread that has absolutely nothing to do with the video?

SHA

Mobile is getting more accessible content wise, it has been proven technologically, Nintendo took the risk already before anyone else.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Vita could have been successful but they didn't have the foresight, it could have been Switch before the Switch but it just got second rate first party games and even though they had TV out with PSP GO they instead had the Vita TV crap as a whole separate device for it. Just missed the mark.

If you are Sony, you don't want gamers stuck playing old PS4 games. Also, game development is becoming more and more a finite business. Resources are precious and you don't want Sony spending billions of dollars that would be spent elsewhere on experimental devices. We don't need another PSVR/2. Stick to consoles

Absolutely not. lol. What's your essentially describing is a portable Series S, which would just piss off developers. And even if your saying PS4 only games, I seriously doubt Sony would be interested in that due to the backlash of people buying this and complaining about never getting any "new" games.

How would this piss off developers any more than developing for the Series S or Switch 2?
If you are Sony, you don't want gamers stuck playing old PS4 games. Also, game development is becoming more and more a finite business. Resources are precious and you don't want Sony spending billions of dollars that would be spent elsewhere on experimental devices. We don't need another PSVR/2. Stick to consoles
Did you ignore the part where it would play scaled PS5 games?

This would no doubt expand their market share in Japan tremendously.

fart town usa

Gold Member
It makes zero sense to make a dedicated handheld with watered down PS5 games. I get why people would want one, I would too. The outcry over the Portal though...Come on now, it's a handy device for people who have a use for it. Any type of R&D and resources that could have been utilized for a new PSP is being utilized for PSVR and even then, the support isn't really there in the way that people want it to be.

I'm just glad that Sony is offering these options. I love PSVR2 and I'm stoked to get the Portal at some point. I barely play flat games anymore and the Portal is going to be my outlet to catch up on my flat backlog.

How would this piss off developers any more than developing for the Series S or Switch 2?

Did you ignore the part where it would play scaled PS5 games?

This would no doubt expand their market share in Japan tremendously.
Then you have even more developers being forced to scale their games to a less powerful PS5. The portal is a perfect middle ground. Sony should not be in the handheld business. It's already a very competitive market, and it will surely just make things harder for its studios

fart town usa

Gold Member
PSVR2 is dope though. I don't necessarily want Sony to have 1st party studios making games for it but Sony funded RE7, Village, and RE4 VR modes, I want more of that. PSVR2 also allows access to some absolute gems from indie studios. People dump on it but it's a great platform for gaming.

BlackTron

Gold Member
I didn't watch the video, but my driveby is: Sony does not want to be hampered with supporting another platform. Already, you get the impression they're annoyed having to worry about PSVR.

Nintendo ninja'd out of the problem and I don't see them welcoming it back either.

In regards to a portable PS4 that connects to your TV: it could compete with the PS5 and make many content playing old cheap games instead of buying new ones. Just being a "Sony Switch" will be enough for a massive chunk of people and it encourages them away from where the new games are being pushed. There is also a bad chance that just running PS4 games will make it look rough graphically compared to Switch 2 and it's not a favorable matchup. Imagine if Sony's heralded portable comeback is overshadowed with superior graphics by...Nintendo. Not to people on this board who see the false equivalence in a second, but to the teeming casuals who are just comparing two portable systems, it would be murder.

Then you have even more developers being forced to scale their games to a less powerful PS5. The portal is a perfect middle ground. Sony should not be in the handheld business. It's already a very competitive market, and it will surely just make things harder for its studios

They're already scaling on PC. The idea that we're going to get games that aren't scaled anymore is delusional. Even First Party PS5 games are going to be on PCs with minimum requirements significantly lower than what this machine would consist of.

They're already scaling on PC. The idea that we're going to get games that aren't scaled anymore is delusional. Even First Party PS5 games are going to be on PCs with minimum requirements significantly lower than what this machine would consist of.

The only PS5 games going to PC day one are GAAS titles. Everything else is 1 to 2 years out minimum. Its not as simple as it seems. You cannot create a less powerful platform and "magically" scale down.
Typically you start with the lowest common denominator and scale up.......which would lead to PS5 and the potential PS5 Pro being held back, games taking longer to deliver, etc.
It adds additional strain to development teams. We have all the evidence in the world that Series S is causing the same bottleneck for Xbox. Sony is being smart and not putting themselves in that situation.

For a good reason they won’t make one.
It is not that it won’t sell but more to do with if they make one the buyers the gamers expect that they get first party games for it.but Sonys first party is busy making ps5/6 games.If they would make both simultaneously I would take ages to get games for both systems and if they would just release a dumped down version of console games, gamers would rightfully say we didn’t bought this system to play the same games we already play on the big screen.And also a vita 2 would be as powerful as a ps4 pro that means games would cost as much as ps4/5 games to make.And if they would make games for it then they would also release them for ps5 with better resolution and again gamers would be pissed playing the same games again.
The only way this would work if Sony would create 20 new studios with 10 to 50 people working there.making only indie games and AA games.this would make Sony lots of money the games would be cheap because smaller bugdet and would sell a lot.

The only PS5 games going to PC day one are GAAS titles. Everything else is 1 to 2 years out minimum. Its not as simple as it seems. You cannot create a less powerful platform and "magically" scale down.
Typically you start with the lowest common denominator and scale up.......which would lead to PS5 and the potential PS5 Pro being held back, games taking longer to deliver, etc.
It adds additional strain to development teams. We have all the evidence in the world that Series S is causing the same bottleneck for Xbox. Sony is being smart and not putting themselves in that situation.

Whether a game comes out day one or 2 years later... it's still scaled down on other platforms.

Look at the PC requirements for TLOU P1, it'll run on PC hardware that was released in 2014.

The Series S causes a bottleneck because of the parity clause Microsoft implemented.

SABRE220

They simply dont have the studios nor the output to support a dedicated handheld while keeping up momentum for the main console. They closed down several studios including most of their Japanese studios, even their first-party studios have barely released a next-gen game this gen, and look at the amazing support they were able to provide the psvr2 that just launched a year back, they basically left it to die. The ps5 is all they can manage sadly and even halfway into the gen we are honestly still waiting for their main output compared to earlier gens.

Last edited:

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
Who would want another $300 device that wouldn't get support but a few first party titles with a bunch of niche, third party games in the first place?

Exactly this. The handheld market has improved significantly after Sony gave up and quit the handheld industry entirely.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
It can happen, but it wont get much first party support. So it'll die off fast. For Vita they even publicly stated they were moving first party resources to PS4 when PS4 launched..

coffinbirth

I just want a portable PS4 to take my digital library around with me on my travels. I don't require any bespoke software.
A portable Series S would also be amazing.

coffinbirth

Who would want another $300 device that wouldn't get support but a few first party titles with a bunch of niche, third party games in the first place?
That's not exactly how they would be promoting it, so you know, millions.
And even knowing what you say is absolutely true, I would buy it day one....and probably most people here would too.

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
I just want a portable PS4 to take my digital library around with me on my travels. I don't require any bespoke software.
A portable Series S would also be amazing.

More or less impossible now considering that means each and every developers has to go back to their released games to create a bespoke version. And all of them doesn't cater any budgets and resources for that.

sendit

I don't care about Sony making another handheld console ever again. It's better that way. I care about handheld gaming. It's awesome.
Eh. Handheld gaming isn't awesome, its actually a pretty subpar experience in comparison to playing on a PC or a TV. It's there if someone absolutely cannot wait until get they home to play video games.

Last edited:

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
It makes way more sense now than it ever has, similar architecture, easy to port day and date games. I shake my head every day sony doesn't release a handheld now. (And ms too)

sendit

It makes way more sense now than it ever has, similar architecture, easy to port day and date games. I shake my head every day sony doesn't release a handheld now. (And ms too)
Series S. Now you want to bring an even weaker hardware with a handheld device in to the equation?

Last edited:

lh032

I cry about Xbox and hate PlayStation.
Handheld is not the problem, software is the main issue here.
Sony does not have enough studio to make handheld 1st party games, its just not possible.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
They could have used PVita 2 to make more interesting and experimental AA games like...
Soul_Sacrifice_NA_boxart.jpg
freedom-wars.4674153522.cover.jpg

These days Sony's big focus is only on high budget AAA western games.....Sony has become so boring this gen.

Last edited:
Perhaps that saying is for you, but I STILL use my Vita pretty regularly. Amazing console.
I still use mine too, mostly for PSP bc since I never owned one of those, sadly. Bought it for P4G and it still amazes me today how much Yukiko's red blouse pops on that OLED screen.

Phase

Traditional handhelds like the Vita 2 just don't make any sense any more. Consumers are no longer interested in having to purchase a completely different subset of games just to be used speciically on a single mobile device. They want to take their console/PC/big screen games with them on the go.

That's why the Switch, Steam Deck, and streaming handhelds are the future.
Soooo... why can't the Vita 2 have a dock?

Top Bottom