• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why Sony Will Never Make The PS Vita 2

coffinbirth

Video Game Judge GIF by CAPCOM

That doesn't mean I'd fall for Sony's marketing a second time though.
Think About It GIF by Identity
Fun fact: there are more Vita exclusives than PS5 exclusives:)

200w.gif

Last edited:

mothball

Sony never made good portable games .. oops i said it .

They made portable PS games .. Nintendo for example tailors their portable experiences.. if they want , they can make a dedicated portable .

Hilarious considering Nintendo's "tailored" portable experiences are now just full-on console games on a handheld. Reminds me of this ancient funny post...

8aXT3a4.png

I actually disagree entirely with the premise here, that premise being either they could put a stand-alone Vita 2 or a PS5 portable.

They could put out a "PS4 Pro" Portable that plays ALL PS4 games and having an NVME SSD and a bit more horsepower could play scaled-down PS5 games.

The question is around the timing of this and the price. As gaming moves forward, I expect Sony will keep scalability in mind across the PlayStation portfolio.
I agree with a PSforGO, that will be advertised as a portable PS5.
PS4/PS4 Pro hardware with a 500gb SSD that can stream PS5 games.

It will be released after the PS5 Pro and when their PS5 cloud streaming can take the user stress.

sendit

Things have evolved over the past 2 years a lot, and your typically running at 800p, so yep.

Nah. You aren't going to see a handheld in 2 years pushing PS5 level graphics with respect to battery life and thermals, even at 800p.

Also, you will never see a dedicated handheld gaming device again. Playstation Portal is a low effort test product to see if there is a market for streaming games.

Last edited:

coffinbirth

Nah. You aren't going to see a handheld in 2 years pushing PS5 level graphics with respect to battery life and thermals, even at 800p.

Also, you will never see a dedicated handheld gaming device again. Playstation Portal is a low effort test product to see if there is a market for streaming games.
I mean...isn't a Switch Lite exactly that?

I agree with a PSforGO, that will be advertised as a portable PS5.
PS4/PS4 Pro hardware with a 500gb SSD that can stream PS5 games.

It will be released after the PS5 Pro and when their PS5 cloud streaming can take the user stress.

I think that is the next evolution here.

I think it's hilarious that people think Sony has no interest in the mobile/handheld market when they've always had interest and games are now scalable to the point where you can have the same games and take up significantly less resources.

You sell the handhelds for profit and it's just about further pushing engagement and building the ecosystem.

It's a no-brainer that once they can package PS4 Pro with SSD into a handheld framework they'll revisit this.

People think that the Switch 2 will be cheaper than the PS5 Digital but more powerful than the PS4 AND sold for a profit and the ability to play multiplatform games in line with PS5 but that Sony couldn't put out their own handheld more powerful than the PS4 AND sold for a profit and that the ability to play multiplatform games in line with the PS5.

If anything I'd say advantage Sony here in the sense that they're already going to have much more support available.

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots

I expect that the switch 2 will surprise you.
It doesn't have to run high to ultra settings on such a small screen. We basically already see it on current aaa pc games on asus ally.

Killer8

I mean...isn't a Switch Lite exactly that?

It sells enough to justify its existence in the market but its numbers only make up about 15% of Switch hardware sold.

x3rM9R5.jpg

It's clear that the majority of people want the hybrid functionality that the main (and OLED) model provide.

coffinbirth

It sells enough to justify its existence in the market but its numbers only make up about 15% of Switch hardware sold.

x3rM9R5.jpg

It's clear that the majority of people want the hybrid functionality that the main (and OLED) model provide.
It also released two and a half years after Switch.

Point being, Nintendo could (won't) release their next console without any T.V. connectivity and it would probably do pretty well.

With Nintendo, it's the portable aspect propping up the home console aspect in the sense that had they released yet another ho-hum power home console it would probably not do nearly as well as an even more underpowered handheld, ala 3DS vs. Wii-U. That doesn't work both ways.

A portable PS4 that can play your PS4 digital library would sell like crazy. Same with Xbox. A dedicated gaming handheld doesn't need a bespoke library to exist, nor to be profitable. See; SteamDeck, Rog Ally, Lenovo Legion Go,etc...

This all goes without mentioning we are in the middle of a dedicated gaming handheld renaissance, lmao.

The only way Sony makes another dedicated handheld is if it's the PS6 and operates like a Switch. Other than that, it ain't happening.

x3rM9R5.jpg

It's not just hybrid functionality. The Switch has a 7-inch screen. Switch-Lite has a 5.5-inch screen. I think if there was a cheaper dock-free 7-inch Switch, you might see some serious difference, but you only save 100 dollars (150 in case of the OLED model) and get much less screen real estate.

I think these are lessons Sony is learning and why they released the PlayStation Portal at 200 dollars. They can now introduce an OLED model at 250 and they can probably release a Portable PlayStation for between 400-500, maybe with LCD and OLED versions as well.

diffusionx

Gold Member
I think that is the next evolution here.

I think it's hilarious that people think Sony has no interest in the mobile/handheld market when they've always had interest and games are now scalable to the point where you can have the same games and take up significantly less resources.

You sell the handhelds for profit and it's just about further pushing engagement and building the ecosystem.

It's a no-brainer that once they can package PS4 Pro with SSD into a handheld framework they'll revisit this.

People think that the Switch 2 will be cheaper than the PS5 Digital but more powerful than the PS4 AND sold for a profit and the ability to play multiplatform games in line with PS5 but that Sony couldn't put out their own handheld more powerful than the PS4 AND sold for a profit and that the ability to play multiplatform games in line with the PS5.

If anything I'd say advantage Sony here in the sense that they're already going to have much more support available.
Repackaging the PS4 Pro is just not happening. They're not making those chips anymore, in any form, and they're ludicrously bad for what they are. They are also, unlike the Switch, x86 and as such totally out of step with where the mobile market is going.

I do agree with you that it's crazy to think that Sony is fine just to cede this entire massive growing market to Apple and Google, but they would have to approach it deliberately, like designing a handheld and console in tandem.

Repackaging the PS4 Pro is just not happening. They're not making those chips anymore, in any form, and they're ludicrously bad for what they are. They are also, unlike the Switch, x86 and as such totally out of step with where the mobile market is going.

I do agree with you that it's crazy to think that Sony is fine just to cede this entire massive growing market to Apple and Google, but they would have to approach it deliberately, like designing a handheld and console in tandem.

It doesn't need to be the PS4 Pro's chipset. The PS5 isn't using the same chipset as the PS4, it's using the same architecture.

Sony can work with AMD on a custom mobile architecture with the appropriate power delivery equivalent of that of the PS4 Pro adjusted for resolution.

It doesn't even actually have to play PS4 games, it needs to be able to play scaled-down PS5 games. PS4 would just be a benefit. Maybe Sony will take a look at doing a custom Ryzen Z2 Extreme. There are a lot of advantages for AMD and Sony once you're mass-producing these.

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots

x3rM9R5.jpg

Not clear, if you had an 8" portable only oled, it would still sell well. They could easily position it still as a hybrid with an optional dock. In addition, it's not clear exactly what numbers play just on handheld mode. At least none that I have seen lately from nintendo themselves. For all we know, over 50% of the average switch owner at this point plays 95% + handheld.

Last edited:

sinnergy

Hilarious considering Nintendo's "tailored" portable experiences are now just full-on console games on a handheld. Reminds me of this ancient funny post...

8aXT3a4.png
Nintendo just makes better games than both Sony and MS.. 🤣 there is your difference . But that is not my point, when they had both a portable and a console, their portable games where portable games , Sony’s portable games where just the same games as on consoles . Now you are playing with power!

Nintendo actually puts effort in what they release, and are daring , could back fire , see , Wii U. But they go full in most of the time, if you look at the other 2 they play it save .

Last edited:
Top Bottom