• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii 2 (Project Cafe): Officially Announced, Playable At E3, Launching 2012 [Updated]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Instro

NeonZ said:
At this point, what do they have that sells better than Smash on consoles? There's basically only Mario Kart, New Super Mario Bros and some "Wii" series titles. I don't think Smash is a title likely to be put on hold for an entire generation.

Yeah there's no reason to skip a generation with a franchise that can sell upwards of 10 million units per entry.

MisterHero

Smash is being put on hold because Nintendo x Capcom and Capcom x Nintendo will be made instead

Nintendo vs Capcom vs Namco vs Tecmo vs Square-Enix vs Sega vs Marvel vs Tatsunoko vs SNK vs DC will be the final Smash entry for Cafe's generation

believe

Does a summary really need to be on every page? Stuff like that should be added to the OP, if anything.

If there's nothing new and nothing to talk about, why not just close the thread for now?

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
i used 50 ppp for like eight years but honestly it's just annoying when you're trying to jump into threads and follow conversations that have been going on for a while so i switched over a couple years ago and haven't looked back

Anth0ny

Sadist said:
Or Nintendo skips a generation with the franchise. Would be a good thing imo.

hellllllllllllllls no

they can't leave us with Brawl. If they make one now, with good online
and gameplay
, then I'd be fine with them skipping a gen.

AstroLad said:
i used 50 ppp for like eight years but honestly it's just annoying when you're trying to jump into threads and follow conversations that have been going on for a while so i switched over a couple years ago and haven't looked back

Or you could just use Autopager and then it's all one long page with the entire thread one continuous down scroll away.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
BlackNMild2k1 said:
Or you could just use Autopager and then it's all one long page with the entire thread one continuous down scroll away.
Come on now, it took me eight years to switch to 100ppp (granted 100 was only an option for a fraction of that time), let's not go all crazy now.

It's like . . . just b/c I'm cool with gay marriage now after reading OT GAF, doesn't mean I'm going to go audition for Glee tomorrow.

Cheesemeister said:
Does a summary really need to be on every page? Stuff like that should be added to the OP, if anything.

If there's nothing new and nothing to talk about, why not just close the thread for now?
To keep the excitement from spilling over into other threads of course.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
Sadist said:
^_^

I love Smash, I do but I can't honestly think of what they can add in a new iteration.

Better online, better balance in characters abilities, better tools for custom maps, better Adventure mode, new characters, new stages, even more remixes of classic musics, not to mention better textures and resolution, no fucking tripping.

There's a lot of stuff they can do to improve the serie with a new console. Have faith in Nintendo sir.

I can't see a new, much more powerful, Nintendo console without a Smash Bros game. It would be like having no Mario Kart game.

I just wonder who would be taking over the series from Sakurai, since I doubt he's coming back for a fourth game.

It'd be easier to know what the next game will be like with him on the helm though, since he already stated that he would never make Smash as complex as Melee again.

antonz

From The Dust said:
I like how this thread always reverts to Smash Bros somehow
In the end we all wanna see another trailer of the cast upgrading visually while Kirby remains a pink fluff ball

Cheesemeister said:

THIS!

I come here with no fucking clue if I'm on a different page then the one from yesterday or a few hours ago because Grandpa Simpson keeps posting that same half assed summary at the start of a new page >:/

Thats what the OP is for ... gaf aint babies.

linko9

I could always do with more characters in Smash Bros; that to me is more important than balance. I know there's a community of SSB tournament players, but unlike something like SF, the vast majority of players are not trying to emulate that sort of play. Here are some characters I'd like to show up:

Sigurd or Leif from FE
Custom Robo robot (prolly Ray MK-II)
Ganondorf that is not a CF clone
Samurai Goroh
Takamaru
Poo (from EB)
Fawful
Saki

3rd party:
Simon Belmont
Mega Man
Amaterasu

Also, I'd love to see them allow for alternate costumes that completely replace the character model with more obscure characters; Ganondorf > Black Falcon, Ice Climbers > Smithy brothers (LttP), Mewtwo > Alakazam, stuff like that.

Black-Wind said:
THIS!

I come here with no fucking clue if I'm on a different page then the one from yesterday or a few hours ago because Grandpa Simpson keeps posting that same half assed summary at the start of a new page >:/

Have you seen what happens when I don't post this? It degrades into a giant argument about pikmin. Kids.
LLShC.gif

If you can come up with something better, please do so.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
Black-Wind said:
THIS!

Wow, i never noticed this but you're right... This guy really is reposting a summary every ~50 posts haha.

Log4Girlz

I wonder just how much cheapness on the part of Nintendo can be directly attributable to Miyamoto. Sure, Yamauchi was a cheap bastich, but Miyamoto has a philosophy that a piece of hardware should be as cheap as possible so it may attract the masses. Was the 3DS a grand experiment? Does Nintendo see the Cafe as a very long-term investment, a 10 year plan if you will? If so, it would make sense to price it high and add as many features as possible and allow economies of scale and design refinements to bring the price down over time.

sfried

Log4Girlz said:
I wonder just how much cheapness on the part of Nintendo can be directly attributable to Miyamoto. Sure, Yamauchi was a cheap bastich, but Miyamoto has a philosophy that a piece of hardware should be as cheap as possible so it may attract the masses. Was the 3DS a grand experiment? Does Nintendo see the Cafe as a very long-term investment, a 10 year plan if you will? If so, it would make sense to price it high and add as many features as possible and allow economies of scale and design refinements to bring the price down over time.
Wasn't cheapness established by Gunpei Yokoi?

Olaeh

linko9 said:
Also, I'd love to see them allow for alternate costumes that completely replace the character model with more obscure characters; Ganondorf > Black Falcon, Ice Climbers > Smithy brothers (LttP), Mewtwo > Alakazam, stuff like that.

Meh, I guess that'd be a good way to squeeze in more characters without having to make new movesets or tweaked clones, but then Mewtwo kinda fails to feel like Mewtwo if his alternate colors are Alakazam, Lukario, and Hypno or whoever... Would seem too messy and the whole thing starts to feel lazy.

Log4Girlz

I'm gonna repost this from another thread. With everything we know (Reference BMF's post), what do you expect from the Cafe:

Scenario 1: Xbox 360 level (not much more or less)

Scenario 2: Notch above 360 (running current gen games, regardless of complexity at 1080p)

Scenario 3: Significantly above 360 (running any current game games at 1080p, 60fps with improves textures and IQ)

Scenario 4: Next-gen .5 (Runs current-gen games as listed above, but in addition has just enough horsepower to create innovative new engines to provide graphics and performance never before seen at home, but below expectations for the next Xbox and Playstation)

Scenario 5: True Next-Gen (Xbox 720 or PS4 level, or just a hair or two below)

I'm expecting scenario 2. You will have developers who may want to show graphics beyond what the 360 can do by just lowering the resolution.

BMF said:
Have you seen what happens when I don't post this? It degrades into a giant argument about pikmin. Kids.
LLShC.gif

If you can come up with something better, please do so.

Posting the exact same thing every page is annoying. We aren't going to debate the same five rumored specs all day.

3 but with 1080 replaced with 720.

Not convinced it will have an enormous 1080p-friendly frame buffer, if they go with a similar architecture to the 360.

Boerseun

Banned
linko9 said:
I could always do with more characters in Smash Bros; that to me is more important than balance. I know there's a community of SSB tournament players, but unlike something like SF, the vast majority of players are not trying to emulate that sort of play. Here are some characters I'd like to show up:

Sigurd or Leif from FE
Custom Robo robot (prolly Ray MK-II)
Ganondorf that is not a CF clone
Samurai Goroh
Takamaru
Poo (from EB)
Fawful
Saki

3rd party:
Simon Belmont
Mega Man
Amaterasu

I just want a new Custom Robo!

Log4Girlz

comedy bomb said:
I wasn't talking about your post lol

I choose #1. Nintendo always manages to temper expectations with hardware performance by going cheap.

I know, but hey those are those possibilities :D

comedy bomb said:
Posting the exact same thing every page is annoying. We aren't going to debate the same five rumored specs all day.
Look at pages 96-98. Turning this thread into arguments about the merits of Sunshine, tripping in Smash Brothers, and awesome F-Zero GX is (no argument from me), and the injustice of Pikmin 2 never coming out with Wii controls in the US is the other end of it.

The upside is that we make Amir0x sleep deprived - which isn't a very good upside.

Seeing that it's top of page (totally coincidence, I assure you), here's the list:

So, at this point our semi-reliable rumor list is:

R700 based GPU
25 Gig Discs
8 Gig Flash
3-Core PowerPC processor
Traditional layout controller with a 6" screen.
Compatible with Wiimote

Speculation:

Name
Hard Drive/SD Card compatibility
Specifics on CPU/GPU
RAM (type and capacity)
Motion Control (new variation?)

Confirmed Things:

Partnering with an outside company for online. (source)
Spending more time fostering 3rd party relationships.

Common Sense:

Should support all HD resolutions
HDMI support and component/composite

Better than the alternative.

Also, this:

Log4Girlz said:
I'm gonna repost this from another thread. With everything we know (Reference BMF's post), what do you expect from the Cafe:

Scenario 1: Xbox 360 level (not much more or less)

Scenario 2: Notch above 360 (running current gen games, regardless of complexity at 1080p)

Scenario 3: Significantly above 360 (running any current game games at 1080p, 60fps with improves textures and IQ)

Scenario 4: Next-gen .5 (Runs current-gen games as listed above, but in addition has just enough horsepower to create innovative new engines to provide graphics and performance never before seen at home, but below expectations for the next Xbox and Playstation)

Scenario 5: True Next-Gen (Xbox 720 or PS4 level, or just a hair or two below)

I'm expecting scenario 2. You will have developers who may want to show graphics beyond what the 360 can do by just lowering the resolution.

My expectation is that it will be a 3 at launch, but a 5 when the PS4/720 are in the field and understood.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom