• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii Fit U | OT | Don't Forget to Breathe!

Nosgoroth

I just ordered a Fit Meter with a used Balance Board from Game, all for ~28€, which seemed like a good entry price for seeing what this is all about.

I'll be joining you soon!

mrklaw

MrArseFace
so is the consensus that this is pretty OK? My wife saw a thing on this on The Blurb and we already have a wii fit board gathering dust. I figure we could get a couple of the fit meters and the software is then free.

Chindogg

so is the consensus that this is pretty OK? My wife saw a thing on this on The Blurb and we already have a wii fit board gathering dust. I figure we could get a couple of the fit meters and the software is then free.

My fiancee loves it. The meter's pretty impressive for $20. It puts Fitbit to shame.

dkeane

How often do I need to sync the fit meter? Sort of a pain the get it every day. Will it same a weeks worth of data at least?

Sickbean

Just ordered the Fit Meter + Board bundle for one of my wife's Christmas Presents. Hope she sticks with it, maybe the fit meter will give her extra incentive as she moves around a lot in her job so probably burns a fair few calories.

Horseticuffs

Full werewolf off the buckle
I'm really enjoying it. It does potentially provide a pretty good workout. It's fun to use, too. An investment in keeping active is a wise investment :)
My fiancee loves it. The meter's pretty impressive for $20. It puts Fitbit to shame.
Could you go into more detail here? Earlier this year I was considering a Fitbit but went with Wii Fit U because the software was free, I had a Wii U already, and I'd heard so much about Wii Fit.

It seems like the Fitbit is so expensive that it must be on a whole other level of functionality. That isn't the case? I've never used one.

D-e-f-

Banned
How often do I need to sync the fit meter? Sort of a pain the get it every day. Will it same a weeks worth of data at least?

it starts overwriting data after 7 days for steps and 30 days for calories burnt, I believe? I will check the manual but you definitely do not have to sync it every day. I sync it every seven days to not lose steps for the Fit Meter challenges.

Robin64

According to NoE's Twitter, this is out in stores today!

(Though I can almost guarantee I could go visit all the stores in my town and not see it)

Anyone else hate doing pushups on the balance board? I can bang them out just fine normally, but when I'm on the board it does a number on my wrists. At that point I just don't bother doing that exercise.

Part of it is the pacing of the exercise, I think.

Horseticuffs

Anyone else hate doing pushups on the balance board? I can bang them out just fine normally, but when I'm on the board it does a number on my wrists. At that point I just don't bother doing that exercise.

Part of it is the pacing of the exercise, I think.
Sometimes I'll notice it hurts my palm but I just readjust and it's cool.

I got the Fit Meter mid Nov but I have to admit it is very tough to start exercising around this time. A lot of things to do, lots of food, desserts, will probably start in Jan 2014.

I got the Fit Meter mid Nov but I have to admit it is very tough to start exercising around this time. A lot of things to do, lots of food, desserts, will probably start in Jan 2014.

tbh that's how you don't get things started and keep putting it off. For food and desserts just watch out for excessive intakes of carbs+sugars and you'll be fine. At least keep the Fit Meter on to track that stuff

So, I went to gamestop to pick up Wii Fit U not knowing that the physical release had been pushed back. They had silently cancelled my preorder and left me with $50 on "Deleted Item". It's not the store's fault, but gamestop as a company needs to cut that shit out.

Kemal86

So is the Meter actually available to purchase from retail stores in North America?

I went to Target and Walmart, then called Best Buy, Toys R Us, and two GameStops. None of them had ever even heard of the thing. I see I can order it from Amazon, but I was hoping to just go out and pick one up today.

Miiow

Banned
So, I never had a Wii Fit but I want it now. And I have one question. If you buy only the Fit Meter you can unlock that Wii Fit U trial from the eShop. Can I do the same with this package?

I want a digital version, I don't want to swap discs every time I want to exercise.

Clefargle

Hey buffgaf! Just downloaded the trial, importing my old Wii Fit data was easy and Im looking forward to getting a meter. Any multiplayer in this game?

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
I tried Wii Fit Plus, and I really like it so I'm considering to pick it up when they release Wii Fit U Bundle next month.

I would like to know what games (activities) they dropped from Wii Fit Plus to Wii Fit U?

Birathen

Can I still activate the digital trial and turn it into the full version if I have used the fit meter with the disc version? I really would like to have it digitally instead so I won't have to switch discs :)

Robin64

Can I still activate the digital trial and turn it into the full version if I have used the fit meter with the disc version? I really would like to have it digitally instead so I won't have to switch discs :)

As far as I know, and this is mostly assumption based on what Nintendo said about save files, you would have to download the trial, reset the Fit Meter and basically start again.

iphys

The temperature will be biased by your body heat, so it isn't very meaningful except for when you haven't been wearing it for a while. The altimeter depends on air pressure, which varies over time due to weather, so I've given up re-zeroing it, but you just need to hit the centre button to wake it and then hold down both arrow buttons for a few seconds to do so.

cacildo

Now i have a fit meter

- should i wear it all the time?
- Does it still count steps even if im driving or on a bus?
- Do i need to do something with it, outside of trasfering info to the game?

Horseticuffs

Now i have a fit meter

- should i wear it all the time?
- Does it still count steps even if im driving or on a bus?
- Do i need to do something with it, outside of trasfering info to the game?
1) That's up to you. I wear mine constantly.
2) It doesn't even properly count cycling so I think you're cool.

Lkr

are there new activities compared to Wii Fit Plus? i have the board/game, just wondering if it is worth upgrading now that I have a Wii U

catabarez

I bought a fit meter at Fry's for ten bucks yesterday and the cleanest used balance board from Gamestop so I could play this game. It's actually giving me a decent workout. Definitely a game where the digital version is preferable over a physical version.

Steph_E.

I tried Wii Fit Plus, and I really like it so I'm considering to pick it up when they release Wii Fit U Bundle next month.

I would like to know what games (activities) they dropped from Wii Fit Plus to Wii Fit U?

A few games have been dropped. Off the top of my head they are:
Snowboarding
Skateboarding
Big Top Juggling
Segway
Marching band (I can't remember the real name of it)

wilflare

preordered on Amazon.com
this thing needs to come soon

bummed.. now that I read the thread in some detail... maybe preordering the Balance Board + Fit Meter + Game at 89.99 isn't that smart afterall...

maxcriden

A few games have been dropped. Off the top of my head they are:
Snowboarding
Skateboarding
Big Top Juggling
Segway
Marching band (I can't remember the real name of it)

Strange, I realized skateboarding was gone but forgot all about the others you listed. I did like Segway and Marching Band. The new additions do more than make up for the loss of the above activities, though.

Lkr

This page lists all the activities, showing which are new and which are returning (i.e., old).

http://wiifitu.nintendo.com/training-types/balance-games/

Look through the balance games and then click on the other tabs (dance, yoga, aerobics, and strength training) to see the rest. It shows you which controllers you need for each activity.
i'll probably wait and hope the meter goes on sale then.

I bought a fit meter at Fry's for ten bucks yesterday and the cleanest used balance board from Gamestop so I could play this game. It's actually giving me a decent workout. Definitely a game where the digital version is preferable over a physical version.

i wish i had a fry's nearby :(

Horseticuffs

Just got a notice saying NA FitGaf gym was gone? What happened?

EDIT: Seems it might be a Nintendo Network issue. I'm posting here just fine but can't get on Miiverse.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
LTTP

Just got my Wii U for Xmas... ordered a Fit Meter yesterday. UPS Tracking says it should be here Monday!

How legit is the meter? Is it cheap and kinda ghetto or is it really legit? I'm not expecting a fitbit or fuelband or anything of that quality but just was wondering.

maxcriden

LTTP

Just got my Wii U for Xmas... ordered a Fit Meter yesterday. UPS Tracking says it should be here Monday!

How legit is the meter? Is it cheap and kinda ghetto or is it really legit? I'm not expecting a fitbit or fuelband or anything of that quality but just was wondering.

I'd say it's pretty legit. The only wonky thing is the altimeter. On the whole, it's been great to have.

I found a Fry's 30 minutes from where I am and got the meter.
My brother already has the balance board so I can borrow it from him.

Horseticuffs

I'd say it's pretty legit. The only wonky thing is the altimeter. On the whole, it's been great to have.

I wear mine every day. I don't actually use the exercises in the app much but I like the pedometer, altimeter, and stat gathering but I would kill...KILL..KILL for a Fit meter that accurately measured bicycle riding. For Pete's sake, I bike at LEAST 12 miles a day and I get almost NO credit for it.

It's a cool concept, and a good starting point for someone interested in an activity-monitoring device, but I'm wondering how legit it is. If I were to invest in a fitbit or something would it chart all my shit realistically? I don't understand how it could but, hell, there's a world of things I don't understand out there.

For $10-$20 it's a fun tool to use but I'm really looking forward to a 2'nd generation Fit Meter that is a bit more robust. I'd be willing to pay more, too. It's a great concept.

EDIT: I've biked 15 miles today and, yes, I work on a computer but I do a bunch of running around in my day and it's saying I've taken 11,113 steps and burned 871 calories today. That may be fair, but I'd like some kind of acknowledgement of my cycling. I know from Runtastic that I've burned roughly 588 calories just from cycling today.

All I'm saying is, Nintendo, if you wanna go deep in this ol' fitness shit just go a bit deeper. Anyone know if the big-boy activity meter devices accurately measure all that kinds of jazz or is the Fit Meter relatively on-pace with it's competitors?

So, I went for a 5 mile walk yesterday with my Fit Meter on and when I did my body test today I gained 0.2 pounds (mostly from measuring at a different time of the day). Wii Fit U told me that perhaps I wasn't exercising enough and I needed to burn more calories. Um, did you not see that I walked 5 freakin' miles that day? I think their recommendations need to be improved or I really won't gain anything from them.

So, I went for a 5 mile walk yesterday with my Fit Meter on and when I did my body test today I gained 0.2 pounds (mostly from measuring at a different time of the day). Wii Fit U told me that perhaps I wasn't exercising enough and I needed to burn more calories. Um, did you not see that I walked 5 freakin' miles that day? I think their recommendations need to be improved or I really won't gain anything from them.
The recommendations given at weigh-in time seem pretty worthless. It's obvious that they didn't put much thought into that (just like the original wii fit would tell normal size kids they were obese based on the flawed BMI scale... does this one still do that?)

I wear mine every day. I don't actually use the exercises in the app much but I like the pedometer, altimeter, and stat gathering but I would kill...KILL..KILL for a Fit meter that accurately measured bicycle riding. For Pete's sake, I bike at LEAST 12 miles a day and I get almost NO credit for it.

It's a cool concept, and a good starting point for someone interested in an activity-monitoring device, but I'm wondering how legit it is. If I were to invest in a fitbit or something would it chart all my shit realistically? I don't understand how it could but, hell, there's a world of things I don't understand out there.

For $10-$20 it's a fun tool to use but I'm really looking forward to a 2'nd generation Fit Meter that is a bit more robust. I'd be willing to pay more, too. It's a great concept.

EDIT: I've biked 15 miles today and, yes, I work on a computer but I do a bunch of running around in my day and it's saying I've taken 11,113 steps and burned 871 calories today. That may be fair, but I'd like some kind of acknowledgement of my cycling. I know from Runtastic that I've burned roughly 588 calories just from cycling today.

All I'm saying is, Nintendo, if you wanna go deep in this ol' fitness shit just go a bit deeper. Anyone know if the big-boy activity meter devices accurately measure all that kinds of jazz or is the Fit Meter relatively on-pace with it's competitors?

Fitbit and similar devices arent going to measure bike riding accurately, because the technology doesn't have a way to measure distance travelled. They are accelerometer-based like the fit meter.

To measure biking with good accuracy you need something that actually hooks into the drive chain, see http://bicycles.stackexchange.com/a/4671 . Maybe a heart rate monitor might work too, if not quite as accurate?

Horseticuffs

Fitbit and similar devices arent going to measure bike riding accurately, because the technology doesn't have a way to measure distance travelled. They are accelerometer-based like the fit meter.

To measure biking with good accuracy you need something that actually hooks into the drive chain, see http://bicycles.stackexchange.com/a/4671 . Maybe a heart rate monitor might work too, if not quite as accurate?
I appreciate the information. Seems like the technology is still very young. That being said, even if it's not entitle accurate it is cool to get a data sheet at the end of the day.

Sickbean

You can get pretty close with something like Strava - it has fields for bike weight as well as your weight. The GPS tracks speed and elevation gain, with some sort of algorithm in there for estimating rolling and wind resistance.

Of course adding a GPS module to the fit meter would likely triple it's cost and destroy battery life.

Is there no way to even add activities in manually?

Griss

New to Wii Fit entirely, so I have a question.

Is the balance board for Wii Fit U the same as the one on the Wii? Are there any differences or improvements at all?

Birathen

New to Wii Fit entirely, so I have a question.

Is the balance board for Wii Fit U the same as the one on the Wii? Are there any differences or improvements at all?

I never used WiiFit or WiiFit Plus but the balance board I got with Wii Fit U says Wii on it so its probably the same.

Top Bottom