• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Will Nintendo/GameFreak patch Pokemon Scarlet/Violet?

Will Nintendo/GameFreak patch Pokemon Scarlet/Violet technical issues in a meaningful way?

• Yes

Votes: 27 20.9%
  • No

Votes: 102 79.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

supernova8

Banned
So we've already had lots of discussions about precisely how bad the technical issues are for Pokemon Scarlet and Violet, but I think more important now is whether Nintendo/GameFreak will make any meaningful effort to patch said technical issues.

For context, I did a search for the last couple of games and found that (according to some videos and some articles) they never really fixed the most glaring technical issues in Sword and Shield. Also doesn't look like they did much to patch Arceus.

What strikes me this time, though, is the almost unanimous panning of Scarlet/Violet's technical performance by reviewers. Hell, even Nintendo Life said the technical issues were "too much for me to be able to ignore".

With all that said, Pokemon SV has sold a fucking megaton (as usual) so I personally don't think they will bother fixing it.

Also, Gamefreak and Nintendo are practically joined at the hip (they're physically located in Nintendo's building if I'm not mistaken) so I don't think it would be a stretch to say that Nintendo would happily allocate some engineering to Gamefreak if they asked for it to help fix Pokemon SV. Perhaps its a pride issue or perhaps TPC/Nintendo will not give them the budget to fix it?

What say you all?

also for comparison

Nintendo is still patching BOTW in 2022. That game came out in 2017.

Last edited:

lh032

I cry about Xbox and hate PlayStation.
Captain America Lol GIF by mtv

supernova8

Banned
Will they release a patch to address some glitches? Sure.

Will it fix the overall problems? No, because it's due to the Nintendo Switch literally being weaker than last gen consoles from Microsoft and Sony. The Switch can't handle the scope of the games Nintendo needs to make.

This argument is debunked by the fact the very existence of Xenoblade Chronicles 3.

That game does have some half-framerate animations but overall the visuals are much better AND the performance is more consistent. Plus, I think it would be incorrect to claim that Pokemon games are larger in terms of scope compared to Xenoblade games.

supernova8

Banned
No patches used to be a philosophical stance for Nintendo: let's make sure this shit is polished as fuck so we'll never need a patch.

No patches now comes from a place of pure laziness.
Should be clear that these games are made by GameFreak and merely funded (part funded?) and published by Nintendo, as opposed to actual first party titles developed in-house.

I think you'll agree that a real Nintendo-developed Pokemon game would look and run far better than what GF puts out.

Then again I guess that gold Nintendo seal of approval doesn't mean anything anymore.

Last edited:

jigglet

Banned
Should be clear that these games are made by GameFreak and merely funded (part funded?) and published by Nintendo, as opposed to actual first party titles developed in-house.

I think you'll agree that a real Nintendo-developed Pokemon game would look and run far better than what GF puts out.

Then again I guess that gold Nintendo seal of approval doesn't mean anything anymore.

Well that's fair, but in order to vent I'm going to make a few perhaps unfair generalizations. It's in my blood as a Neogaf member to do so.

Kataploom

Gold Member
Hope so, reimbursements are a pain in the ass for companies and even if they're not too many, Nintendo that is the publisher and platform holder are probably pressuring game freak... Also Nintendo is too proud to make this go unattended, they charge full price for whatever but take pride on their games being premium experiences and working well on release, the fact that they can charge full price is based on reputation and consumers trust in the brand, I can imagine them seeing this situation as a risk for their whole business model

Methos#1975

This argument is debunked by the fact the very existence of Xenoblade Chronicles 3.

That game does have some half-framerate animations but overall the visuals are much better AND the performance is more consistent. Plus, I think it would be incorrect to claim that Pokemon games are larger in terms of scope compared to Xenoblade games.
Hell forget Xenoblade 3, Breath of the Wild is now five years old and better polished than Pokémon.

Doczu

No, they most likely won't. Not until enough players bitch and whine constantly without giving it a rest.
They didn't patch the 3DS technical issues.
They pretended the n3DS didn't exist with sime extra performance sause.
They might patch out exploits or game braking glitches, but that's it.

Nintendo isn't CD projekt red, they don't care enough to do that and know their massive consumer base of kids and adult kids will buy whatever they pump out next time no matter how bad it is.

Impotaku

People in the thread still not knowing nintendo didn't make this game LOL.

Gamefreak lack the skill to make competent games on newer gen consoles, you could give them the most powerful console out to work on & it would still look & feel like a game from 5 generations back.

Last edited:
Nah, why would they? Fools already handed over their money to Game Freak so they are happy and have no incentive to do shit. They'll be moving onto next years game and people will pre order that blindly too.

People in the thread still not knowing nintendo didn't make this game LOL.

Gamefreak lack the skill to make competent games on newer gen consoles, you could give them the most powerful console out to work on & it would still look & feel like a game from 5 generations back.

Game Freak couldn't handle the transition to 3D / HD graphics. They've been so used to working with 2D sprites at very low resolution. 3DS had 800x240 resolution on the top screen :messenger_neutral:

The games really went downhill after Black + White (2). Those were the last really good Pokemon games. X + Y seemed promising but then we got Sun + Moon :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Last edited:

Doczu

Game Freak couldn't handle the transition to 3D / HD graphics. They've been so used to working with 2D sprites at very low resolution. 3DS had 800x240 resolution on the top screen :messenger_neutral:

The games really went downhill after Black + White (2). Those were the last really good Pokemon games. X + Y seemed promising but then we got Sun + Moon :messenger_tears_of_joy:
That's also what i say. The moment they had to make the transition from sprites and tilesets to true 3D issues started piling up

Saber

Gold Member
Depends on the amount of backlash.

Since their fans are dumb as fuck and pretend those problems don't exist, chances are low.

Last edited:

Nautilus

Banned

Will it fix the overall problems? No, because it's due to the Nintendo Switch literally being weaker than last gen consoles from Microsoft and Sony. The Switch can't handle the scope of the games Nintendo needs to make.
This is just straight up wrong.

Wether Nintendo patches things up or not, its not because the Switch can't handle it lol

diffusionx

Gold Member
I just don’t understand why S/V is in this condition when Arceus came out this year and looks and runs better in every way. This just doesn’t make sense. I don’t think they’re going to patch it because the problem isn’t just frame rate, it’s everything.

Ecotic

They have got to be having conversations (or already had them) about bringing in some outside party to optimize the code. Unless management is just unbelievably insulated from the happenings of the industry - which could very well be the case, being Nintendo.

ebevan91

Maybe? They got burned in a lot of the professional reviews (IGN gave the game a 6) so maybe they'll take notice this time around and actually attempt to fix the game.

Glitches? Maybe.

Your comment around the Switch hardware is absolute bollocks though. The game looking like shit has nothing to do with the hardware and everything to do with Gamefreak not being very good at developing games (that or sheer laziness).

If the Switch can play games like Doom Eternal, Skyrim and the Witcher 3 and still look passable, this game has no fucking excuse.

Fbh

The top Gamefreak executives first have to get fax explaining what a patch is before they can get to work on one
(yeah yeah I know they've patched games before)

Spaceman292

Banned
I just don’t understand why S/V is in this condition when Arceus came out this year and looks and runs better in every way. This just doesn’t make sense. I don’t think they’re going to patch it because the problem isn’t just frame rate, it’s everything.
Arceus looks just as dogshit as S/V. Also what other problems are there other than frame rate? Everything? What does that mean? The actual game is really fun and a huge step up from all the others.

ARK1391

Doubt it, but I'm still loving the game so far and I probably will continue to love it even if a patch doesn't come.

Kataploom

Gold Member
Damn, got dyslexic when reading the title again like "Nintengo/GameFreak Will patch..." and thought "Damn, finally we can buy it" :(

CuNi

Besides possible crashes, bugs and game breaking glitches, I don't see any way or reason they will fix this.
With how bad the game is performing compared to how it looks, I think the performance issues are not some minor fixes, but already start at the very core of the game and just cascade and pile up as the code runs.
They would most likely have to heavily invest into making performance optimizations to the point that it would most likely end up in a patch that is half, if not even as big as the game itself.

As bad as this sounds, the only way I realistically see is for them to learn from this and commit more time and manpower to optimizations of the next game. This ship has sadly already sailed.

Doczu

Arceus looks just as dogshit as S/V. Also what other problems are there other than frame rate? Everything? What does that mean? The actual game is really fun and a huge step up from all the others.
Yeah after reading that i'll just pass on all your pkmn comments.
You could have said Arceus looks and runs the way it does cause it's not open world, but you had to say it's just as bad when it's clearly not.

I really hope the reviews and (biggest yet) backlash will force them to at least TRY next time

jaysius

Banned
Game Freak doesn't know how to fix it, if they did they'd ship it less broken.

It's fucking disgraceful that Nintendo didn't force them to come out and say they'd fix it.

jaysius

Banned
I know the game is an ugly buggy mess but everyone seems to actually love the game.
It is the best Pokemon game to date.

People need to justify their purchases to themselves.

No I bought it super cheap, split with my g/f so I'm only "out" $28 CND because I bought it from the amazon.co.jp store.

This is genuinely a fun Pokemon game, and I hated Sword/Sheild, enjoyed Arceus and also enjoyed Moon Ultra.

MLSabre

Will it fix the overall problems? No, because it's due to the Nintendo Switch literally being weaker than last gen consoles from Microsoft and Sony. The Switch can't handle the scope of the games Game Freak make.
I'm still amazed people to this day people don't realized Nintendo themselves don't make Pokemon. The Switch, like any hardware, is a tool box for developers to use and if they don't know (or worse, don't have the drive) to use it to its fullest, the final end product will be subpar.

Last edited:

Whitecrow

Banned
It is the best Pokemon game to date.

No I bought it super cheap, split with my g/f so I'm only "out" $28 CND because I bought it from the amazon.co.jp store.

This is genuinely a fun Pokemon game, and I hated Sword/Sheild, enjoyed Arceus and also enjoyed Moon Ultra.
I'm sorry from being so bitter. Honest words.

Nintendo usually patch its games.

Both games will look like shit anyway.
This isn't a Nintendo game.

A Nintendo game never would have released in this state.

Pokémon will sell regardless. It's already over 10 million despite all the bad press. The Pokémon Company doesn't give a crap. And as long as their games sell anyway and, more importantly, pushes merchandise and cards, why would they?

If the games sell regardless of quality, nothing will change. And Nintendo won't force them to do anything because they recognize what TPC is doing is working and making them a ton of money.

Last edited:
Top Bottom