• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Playstation Portal |OT| From WC with Love

demigod

He's a Newcastle supporter apparently.

Does it say anything at all, does remote play work on your phone? Maybe it's your firewall blocking it. Where are you trying to connect from, your mobile provider?
It just says error something went wrong, won’t connect. I tried hotspotting it with my t-mobile phone. My ps5 isn’t wired.

Three

It just says error something went wrong, won’t connect. I tried hotspotting it with my t-mobile phone. My ps5 isn’t wired.
It's probably the connection timing out then but it's difficult to know what exactly is causing it. Have you tried remote play from the PS App directly on the phone? If that can't connect then it's not related to the Portal at least. If the PS App doesn't work either then it's likely network related and the PS5 isn't reachable, maybe due to your firewall (you have uPnP enabled on your router?) maybe try forwarding the required ports manually on your router

Last edited:

demigod

It's probably the connection timing out then but it's difficult to know what exactly is causing it. Have you tried remote play from the PS App directly on the phone? If that can't connect then it's not related to the Portal at least. If the PS App doesn't work either then it's likely network related and the PS5 isn't reachable, maybe due to your firewall (you have uPnP enabled on your router?) maybe try forwarding the required ports manually on your router

I tried the youtube and even your reddit images and still no work. UPnP is enabled. Even turned off router firewall, no go. Tried remote play on my iphone just now, no work.

Last edited:

Three

I tried the youtube and even your reddit images and still no work. UPnP is enabled. Even turned off router firewall, no go. Tried remote play on my iphone just now, no work.

I'm not sure then, sorry man. Maybe try another good wifi network to connect from other than tmobile, just to confirm it's something on your home network configuration. You don't have any subnets or anything, right?

FrankWza

Did you try connecting to a different wifi besides your hotspot? If it works then you know it's a setting with your mobile provider. Maybe try try the DNS change or hard wire your PS5 as last resort.

demigod

I'm not sure then, sorry man. Maybe try another good wifi network to connect from other than tmobile, just to confirm it's something on your home network configuration. You don't have any subnets or anything, right?

Did you try connecting to a different wifi besides your hotspot? If it works then you know it's a setting with your mobile provider. Maybe try try the DNS change or hard wire your PS5 as last resort.
New router, didn’t touch with any settings. What is the DNS stuff? Btw I’m using AT&T fiber, the modem is also a router. I’m using my Asus router mainly, not sure if this could be the issue by having 2 routers.

Three

New router, didn’t touch with any settings. What is the DNS stuff? Btw I’m using AT&T fiber, the modem is also a router. I’m using my Asus router mainly, not sure if this could be the issue by having 2 routers.
Yes it could be. You don't need to worry about domain names (DNS) these just basically change domain names like "someaddress.com" into ips, you don't need to worry about that.

You would need to route the traffic to the PS5 though through all routers. Can you draw/describe your network setup? Is the second router on a different subnet? Is the AT&T router in modem mode or does it also act as a router/access point too (ie do you have other devices connected to the At&T router other than your Asus router) ?

Last edited:

FrankWza

Start with trying a different wifi connection using your Portal away from home like public wifi or work. If it works then it's your hotspot if not then it's your wifi. Then I would connect the PS5 via ethernet. Start there before you start making changes to your settings.

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
Who here has gotten remote play setup away from home? I’m having issues and it won’t connect. Maybe I have to google this shit more. HeisenbergFX4 HeisenbergFX4 any special settings you did?
Its strange because the portal connects right away to my phones hotspot but watching some reviews many people having the same issue as you

I wonder if it has anything to do with certain carriers as you are the second person I have seen having trouble using T Mobile (not that that makes much sense)

I am using an IPhone 15 on FirstNet which is AT&T and don't have any issues especially when on 5G

demigod

Yes it could be. You don't need to worry about domain names (DNS) these just basically change domain names like "someaddress.com" into ips, you don't need to worry about that.

You would need to route the traffic to the PS5 though through all routers. Can you draw/describe your network setup? Is the second router on a different subnet? Is the AT&T router in modem mode or does it also act as a router/access point too (ie do you have other devices connected to the At&T router other than your Asus router) ?
Asus router is connected to the AT&T router. I use the AT&T’s wifi as well since the netgear I had previously wouldn’t play nice with the AT&T.

PS5 is connected thru the new Asus router wifi. I might have to fiddle with it later today and connect the PS5 thru AT&T router wifi. If that won’t work i’ll have to run the longass ethernet cable and try.

Three

Asus router is connected to the AT&T router. I use the AT&T’s wifi as well since the netgear I had previously wouldn’t play nice with the AT&T.

PS5 is connected thru the new Asus router wifi. I might have to fiddle with it later today and connect the PS5 thru AT&T router wifi. If that won’t work i’ll have to run the longass ethernet cable and try.
You need to check if it's on a different subnet. For example if devices connected on the Asus router have local IPs like 192.168.1.X while devices on your AT&T router have IPs like 192.168.0.X that means it's on a different subnet. Being on different subnets requires more configuration with port forwarding and isn't as simple as being on the same network. If your Asus is connected to the AT&T router via its WAN port you also need to set up your firewall to port forward, both on the Asus and the AT&T router.

demigod

You need to check if it's on a different subnet. For example if devices connected on the Asus router have local IPs like 192.168.1.X while devices on your AT&T router have IPs like 192.168.0.X that means it's on a different subnet. Being on different subnets requires more configuration with port forwarding and isn't as simple as being on the same network. If your Asus is connected to the AT&T router via its WAN port you also need to set up your firewall to port forward, both on the Asus and the AT&T router.
Different IPs, subnet is the same.

So I tried the at&t wifi. Had port forwarding on, at first it boot up the ps5 but would not remote connect. Went into at&t router and used the correct ip with the port forwarding and that fixed the issue. Tested it in a parking lot and it works, pretty impressive imo.

I still cannot get it to work with the asus router. Is there a way that i can bridge them and only use 1 router?

Three

Different IPs, subnet is the same.

So I tried the at&t wifi. Had port forwarding on, at first it boot up the ps5 but would not remote connect. Went into at&t router and used the correct ip with the port forwarding and that fixed the issue. Tested it in a parking lot and it works, pretty impressive imo.
That's good to hear you have it working with the AT&T router.

I still cannot get it to work with the asus router. Is there a way that i can bridge them and only use 1 router?
There is but it's difficult to troubleshoot since I'd only be guessing without rummaging around your router settings. It's good that they are on the same subnet at least, makes things a little easier.

I assume here that the AT&T is your main modem/router connected to the internet and you have the Asus set up as a switch and access point connected to the AT&T one:

I'm guessing you've correctly only enabled DHCP on the AT&T router and disabled on the Asus. Have you set up a static IP for the PS5 on the AT&T router settings so that it is always the same and doesn't break your port forwarding rules? Have you correctly completely disabled the firewall on the Asus and enabled it on the AT&T?
Those are where I would start.

Last edited:
Man I can't get this thing to work reliably from work. It wouldn't connect at all then it connected and it worked for a bit but wasn't that great. I can't deal with the inconsistency in connecting though. The app on my phone works fine, Steam deck works fine. It's just the portal that will sometimes not connect. Going to mess around with it a bit more but if by Friday I'm not impressed I'm just going to return it to BB and stick with my deck.

Ogbert

Think I’m going to flog my portal on Ebay.

The design is lovely and it’s a nice looking bit of kit. I just don’t think my internet is up to the task. I think they’re slighty underselling how quick it needs to be to get it working reliably.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives

The design is lovely and it’s a nice looking bit of kit. I just don’t think my internet is up to the task. I think they’re slighty underselling how quick it needs to be to get it working reliably.

They are! The minimum should be 15 MBs and the recommended should be 25 MBs given what I've seen from many people on Youtube and their tests.

demigod

Why go thru the trouble with ebay when you can just return it?

MrMephistoX

Why go thru the trouble with ebay when you can just return it?
THIS just return it you’re shipping anyway unless you bought it at retail and less likelihood of a dispute or being scammed. People are who buy used stuff on eBay are incredibly anal about quality in my experience which is frustrating because they’re getting shit at a discount used. I literally only sell electronics on GAF now because I’m frustrated at dealing with cry baby eBay buyers complaining about dust particles or a minor surface scratch on a package.

Last edited:

jm89

Looking at eBay scalper prices in the UK, portals are going for £60+ over RRP.

And people are bidding on it 🤦

I can't see why anyone needs to be this desperate for this device. I don't think it's a bad device, I'm wanting to get one myself. But if your that desperate just get a cheap dualsesne phone mount and play it like that until stock is sorted. Using a phone isn't pick up and play like the portal, but remote play performance at least will be similar.

Last edited:

Bojanglez

The Amiga Brotherhood

I can't see why anyone needs to be this desperate for this device. I don't think it's a bad device, I'm wanting to get one myself. But if your that desperate just get a cheap dualsesne phone mount and play it like that until stock is sorted. Using a phone isn't pick up and play like the portal, but remote play performance at least will be similar.
I want one, but yeah not going to go via scalpers. I can just wait.

I can imagine maybe some parents whose child really wants one for Christmas may be willing to pay a bit above RRP to not dissapoint their child. But I can't imagine it's got that level of traction yet that loads of kids have it on their Christmas lists. I know a couple of parents that are getting it for their kids, just to get their living room TV back though :LOL:

jm89

I can imagine maybe some parents whose child really wants one for Christmas may be willing to pay a bit above RRP to not dissapoint their child.
I was taking a look at the hotstock comments for the ps portal.

And yeah there is quite a few parents getting this for their children. I suspect a lot of frustrated kids as a lot of these people may even just be using their crappy ISP routers and running everything over 2.4ghz wifi.

Can this device be used without WiFi?

Does it support Ethernet (via adapter)? Or, better yet, can you directly connect via USB-C to your PS5 and fully use it?

mckmas8808

In America is going for $100 over RRP. It's crazy. I can't pay these prices. SONY GIVE US ANOTHER DROP!!!

Ozriel

M$FT
Bruh, the demand for these things seems to be really high. Literally going out of stock within seconds of showing up on NowInstock.

Think I’ll stop trying to snag one and wait until there’s most stock

Last edited:

demigod

Can this device be used without WiFi?

Does it support Ethernet (via adapter)? Or, better yet, can you directly connect via USB-C to your PS5 and fully use it?
What the hell, why would you want to be tethered to the ps5?

In America is going for $100 over RRP. It's crazy. I can't pay these prices. SONY GIVE US ANOTHER DROP!!!
Are you still trying? Dang just set up twitter and follow wario64.

People want it to gift to others for Christmas, once the holidays are over you will start to see the demand go down and Sony should have more in stores by Jan-Feb.

Last edited:

mckmas8808

What the hell, why would you want to be tethered to the ps5?

Are you still trying? Dang just set up twitter and follow wario64.
People say they sell out in minutes. No way I want to be that tied to my phone all day waiting on Wario64 posts.

Skifi28

Hasn't released in my country yet. In preparation I've been using remote play on a PS4 pro with both machines being on wifi and I've been quite impressed with how good it holds up. Even most 30fps games I've tried are very playable and the issues have been quite minimal with the occasional pixelation or stutter every 10-15 minutes or so which is understandable for my setup.

FrankWza

Ugh. So they don't have an Android app I'm guessing.....?
I believe that they do. I saw a lot of people get lucky with it. Target early morning is still a safe bet as well but you have to race to the electronics section in case anyone else is there. Supposedly there are sometimes people lined up before they open.

FrankWza

If anyone is interested in adding thumb grips, handle grips or both and having any issues with fit in a travel case this looks like a real nice option. It is almost twice as thick as some of the other cases but it has room for an AC adapter and headphone case. Maybe even Explore case. The Amazon listing is $20 cheaper but the Spigen site has dimensions and info.

This case is awesome. It does fit an AC adapter, cable, Pulse Explore and Portal with grips and some room to spare. High quality and looks nice too.

mckmas8808

If anyone is interested in adding thumb grips, handle grips or both and having any issues with fit in a travel case this looks like a real nice option. It is almost twice as thick as some of the other cases but it has room for an AC adapter and headphone case. Maybe even Explore case. The Amazon listing is $20 cheaper but the Spigen site has dimensions and info.

Even the best case is sold out. This is nuts.

FrankWza

Even the best case is sold out. This is nuts.
Yup. They actually had it priced at only $34.99 on Amazon when I posted the link. They corrected it and it still sold out on both sites. It's a steal at $35 because it's only 5-$10 more than most of these style cases on Amazon and it's far better.

I tried with this app but I'm finding out that it's impossible to use on Andoid. The iOS guys have the auto-buy turned on and the Portal sells out within 1 minute being on sale.
I guess best bet is getting a close friend/spouse or family member with iOS to do it for you?

Yea these things are selling out like hotcakes and honestly I’m even surprised how wildly successful it is.

I love mine tho ngl and I am a single dude in a 1br alone. Literally the Laystation now 😂

mckmas8808

Yup. They actually had it priced at only $34.99 on Amazon when I posted the link. They corrected it and it still sold out on both sites. It's a steal at $35 because it's only 5-$10 more than most of these style cases on Amazon and it's far better.

It's incredible to think that I have no idea which I'll be able to buy first.......the case or the Portal. :rolleyes:

Top Bottom