• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Will we ever see a Final Fantasy XIII trilogy remaster?

Swift_Star

Banned
Since we're at a point I believe all consoles will (hopefully) be BC due to the PC like architecture, will square make a remaster of this trilogy one day? I still have my PS3 and I could play it BC on series s/x but I really wanted them ported to modern consoles along with the new pixel remasters. This way, we'd have the whole series available to everyone for now on. Is that too much to hope for?

Last edited:

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
It's has to be the next one they release.
It's the only one they haven't, which is odd considering they loved Lightning so much 😂

EDMIX

Probably.

Knowing how Square loves to port, remaster etc, I see no reason not to have it put in some collection.

ManaByte ManaByte I mean to be that guy and I'm saying that has nothing to do with Square. lol

We'll see a remaster of that as its not Square's job to make sure you can play it thru BC, its Square's job to make money. Something like BC is completely irrelevant to them in this respect as a port or remaster isn't some service they are doing based on lack of BC or to provide some charity or service out of the kindness of their hearts etc lol

Last edited:

ANDS

King of Gaslighting
I had a post but I guess I was misremembering games: X-2 was the one with the costume changes that then (I think) was brought back for XIII? I'd play a X-2 remaster. I remember enjoying that game for some reason (never played FFX).

ManaByte

Gold Member
Probably.

Knowing how Square loves to port, remaster etc, I see no reason not to have it put in some collection.

ManaByte ManaByte I mean to be that guy and I'm saying that has nothing to do with Square. lol

We'll see a remaster of that as its not Square's job to make sure you can play it thru BC, its Square's job to make money. Something like BC is completely irrelevant to them in this respect as a port or remaster isn't some service they are doing based on lack of BC or to provide some charity or service out of the kindness of their hearts etc lol

Square upgraded the games. They were the ones to provide the 4K cutscenes.

93xfan

Banned
I hope they do, only because I would like to continue to see games playable on new systems that don't have BC - but these games aren't good. While 13-2 and LR can be enjoyable at times, 13-1 is just trash.

Why not push for Sony to do much better with BC. Shouldn’t have to be begging for a chance to spend your hard earned money again.

Looks amazing on Series X as do many BC games.

Last edited:

EDMIX

Square upgraded the games. They were the ones to provide the 4K cutscenes.

Yet they will also be the ones that provide the remaster with many more extras.

I agree with your point btw as its relevant that Square did those things, but I don't believe they did it in PLACE of a remaster or port or collection etc. In terms of business, never see this idea as in the company is um "full" as in they got all that they wish for or that they are satisfied etc, that simply doesn't exist in business. The goal is to make as much money as they can, not some, not to a degree, not until they are full and desire nothing else etc....its to keep making money.

Its why I always question why people bring up OTHER ports on why a company won't port to another system. Someone once said FFVII would not be ported to PS4 because they already did a port to PS3 and a port to PC, I gave the classic lolz. They ported FFVII to PS3, even with PS3 being fully BC with PS1... they remade FFVII on PS4, even with PS4 having a port in HD of FFVII....none of that shit matters to Square. They are not simply JUST doing a 4K update and like "ok everyone, our job here is done, no more money to be made" lol

Massively unlikely.

Let me remind you this is the same company that ported KH collection to PS3 and then to PS4 and then AGAIN to PS4 in ANOTHER PACKAGE Lol... we will very likely see some 4K collection, remaster, directors cut, definitive edition etc.

This update won't stop them from making a remaster as even the KH collection port didn't stop them from doing another port with KH3 thrown in, not sure why this update would ever be relevant in stopping a remaster on XB, the system they sell the fucking least on. Think about it, on PS4, a massive install base....that never stopped them from making several KH collection ports on the same system. but the worst selling system for Squares games having BC will make them feel "full" and be like "well we made all the money we can off of this"? unlikely. Even if PS4 had BC and that game had the same treatment on PS5 like some 4K update, I'd still say you will see a remaster. They want to make as much as they can make and I don't feel BC on XB is a limit to Square lol

93xfan 93xfan #1. That has nothing to do with Square, they are not Sony nor MS.
#2. What ever they add in some remaster, will likely not be anything they put in some update like 4K cutscenes, as in BC doesn't make new modesl appear and give extra content etc, BC also doesn't just magical make games appear that you NEVER OWNED, so someone who never played that collection of games, will likely buy a collection vs let me hunt down a bunch of used games for 4K cutscenes when this collection is giving an extra boss, new textures, new models etc.

I'd ask for a remaster even if I fucking owned those games lol I also don't own what ever Square would do that some remaster sir....

Last edited:

EDMIX

You'll get individual cloud releases for $60 each and like it.

lol whats so fucking crazy, is any other time we might just see that post as a joke.

Now....well that shit could happen with how Square is right now with Switch. I have no fucking clue why the KH collection is a cloud thing when that shit exist on PS3. Its not like it wouldn't sell either as it seems like such a concept is in the ballpark of what Nintendo fans even give a shit about. I have no clue whats going on with that. Maybe they have some deal with some cloud thing and want to push that before a real physical port or something.

[Sigma]

I would like a remaster for PS5. I didn't like FFXIII but fully enjoyed FFXIII-2. I never really got around to Lightning Returns so I would buy mainly for that although I would mess around with FFXIII-2 for a little bit again possibly if only for the ost and I just loved the atmosphere and gameplay of the game too. So would play that some until nostalgia wore off and then play and beat Lightning Returns.

xmagxus

Neo Member
It is basically inevitable we will at some point see each of those games remastered or altered and re-released in some form. Square does it with every single player mainline game eventually.

Banned
Since we're at a point I believe all consoles will (hopefully) be BC due to the PC like architecture, will square make a remaster of this trilogy one day? I still have my PS3 and I could play it BC on series s/x but I really wanted them ported to modern consoles along with the new pixel remasters. This way, we'd have the whole series available to everyone for now on. Is that too much to hope for?

so what would you expect from a remaster that the backwards compatible versions do not offer?
they are close to 4K resolution and even have higher quality FMVs in there than any other version.

Swift_Star

Banned
so what would you expect from a remaster that the backwards compatible versions do not offer?
they are close to 4K resolution and even have higher quality FMVs in there than any other version.
Revamped models, textures, new features like changing leaders in battles in xiii. There's a lot of improvement that can be done in a remaster. EA remastered mass effect and they are playable via bc in Xbox.

Banned
Revamped models, textures, new features like changing leaders in battles in xiii. There's a lot of improvement that can be done in a remaster. EA remastered mass effect and they are playable via bc in Xbox.

yeah but I would not expect that Square would actually do anything else outside what the back compat versions don't already do

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
I hope they do. It's the only mainline FF (post VI, not MMO) that hasn't been remastered.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
Why not push for Sony to do much better with BC. Shouldn’t have to be begging for a chance to spend your hard earned money again.

Looks amazing on Series X as do many BC games.

I push for everyone to do better with BC. Sony, MS, and Nintendo. MS is definitely the best out of the 3, but they are still doing a piss poor job with 360 and OG Xbox titles. As bad as Nintendo does with their NES/SNES release schedules.

Also I am absolutely not begging for a chance to spend more money.

Last edited:

YukiOnna

I think XIII would be fine, but XIII-2 and LR haven't aged well and really need it. The PC ports aren't exactly stellar either, especially LR's. Would be a good excuse to replay XIII-2 since it's a lot of fun.

I hope so. I don't do Xbox or PC, and my Ps3(s) are not going to last forever. I love that trilogy and I want them on Ps4 and Ps5. Could the Switch run them? If yes, then I want it on that as well.

Side note: Xenosaga Trilogy remaster when? I'm tired of losing for lack of a better term, my fave rpg trilogies.

TheInfamousKira

Reseterror Resettler
XIII with an expert Crystarium option paired with a hard mode to balance it out would be awesome. This goes beyond regular remaster, but I can dream. You could even incorporate the Thirteenth Ark and cut Nemesis/Titan/Gilgamesh bosses.

EDMIX

yeah but I would not expect that Square would actually do anything else outside what the back compat versions don't already do

"I would not expect that Square" Stop here man.

Before fucking stating what you expect Square will or won't do...ACTUALLY LOOK UP WHAT THEY DID IN THE PAST.

That is the best way to understand this instead of trying to force this argument just to bicker or win some argument etc.

Several times in the past they have remastered a game and made new character models....BC doesn't magically make new models.

Examples.

KH collections not only has new character models, they update some to fit the other titles that already came out, kinda like how MGS3S had MG1 and 2 ports, but had the images and models updated to fit MGS series NOW vs THEN, they also had updated controls for the camera.
Life Is Strange collection has new character models.
FFVII remastered has new character models
FFVIII remastred....has new character models
FFIX remastered has "improved" character models lol

Seeing a pattern here?

So how can we state what we expect Square to do, while ignoring what they've already done simply cause it doesn't fit some narrative? I'm saying Square will remaster this with some improved character models, fixes in controls or menu and UI etc not cause I want it, but because they have a history of this where we literally can list when they've remastered, ported, remake things. Its a bad bet to make man.

Its like saying Madden won't come out this year or no Call Of Duty next year etc lol

S Saint Boot Sir, I'm still shocked til this day that they did not make a collection with Xenosaga. I was surprised they didn't port them on PSN when they saw Atlus having massive success with putting the Persona games on PSN post PS2. smh. Its like they hate money lol

Last edited:

TidusYuna

Would love to replay FFXIII and FFXIII-2.

lightning-farron-lightning-ff13.gif

5abd3b540d09a473eb3f498d6eea2b9e.gif

tumblr_mo045tqLKy1s69mplo1_400.gif

93xfan

Banned
93xfan 93xfan #1. That has nothing to do with Square, they are not Sony nor MS.
#2. What ever they add in some remaster, will likely not be anything they put in some update like 4K cutscenes, as in BC doesn't make new modesl appear and give extra content etc, BC also doesn't just magical make games appear that you NEVER OWNED, so someone who never played that collection of games, will likely buy a collection vs let me hunt down a bunch of used games for 4K cutscenes when this collection is giving an extra boss, new textures, new models etc.

I'd ask for a remaster even if I fucking owned those games lol I also don't own what ever Square would do that some remaster sir....

I used to like rebuying every remaster. But sometimes I’m just happy with having t the same game and not needing to pay any extra. It’s even better when we get a 4K upgrade free as well.

Btw, consider that lazy Sony gets 30% off that remaster when they did no work and gave fewer options

EDMIX

I used to like rebuying every remaster. But sometimes I’m jus

Continue to do that then, its irrelevant to the thread though....the person is asking if we will ever see a FFXIII Trilogy remaster.

Btw, consider that lazy Sony gets 30% off that remaster when they did no work and gave fewer options

? but that is the case with 3rd parties in general as they are still using a platform they do not own. Its not only OT, its irrelevant to the whole thread and simply bait to argue about Sony vs MS etc.

Banned
Examples.

KH collections not only has new character models, they update some to fit the other titles that already came out, kinda like how MGS3S had MG1 and 2 ports, but had the images and models updated to fit MGS series NOW vs THEN, they also had updated controls for the camera.
Life Is Strange collection has new character models.
FFVII remastered has new character models
FFVIII remastred....has new character models
FFIX remastered has "improved" character models lol

Seeing a pattern here?

So how can we state what we expect Square to do, while ignoring what they've already done simply cause it doesn't fit some narrative?

these are all games that released before the HD era, that would look like ass on an HD screen.

FFXIII came out on PS360 and PC,
you can not compare this
LMplVZK.png

to PS2 and PS1 games being rereleased on consoles that are designed for a completely different kind of TV Display technology.
actually improving these graphics would be a gigantic undertaking... and improving character models here would not do much either as they are already really good and look absolutely fine on a 4K screen.

so you can't just take old PS2 games... and Life is Strange, which looked and ran like complete diarrhea in the original version, to FFXIII which was a graphical showpiece at the time and still looks very good.
those other Final Fantasy remasters you mentioned look like shit, even after all the improvements they still look like shit on a modern TV. so not even remotely comparable

Last edited:

EDMIX

LOL Tidus with these gifs made me a believer, I will likely purchase that collection..WHEN it comes out.

01011001 01011001 "these are all games that released before the HD era, that would look like ass on an HD screen." the lolz, I don't care, none of that is being debated sir. You stated that you would not expect Square to do anything else outside of what you saw from that update. You are free to feel that way, but history says otherwise.

More factual evidence shows that they tend to alter character models, improve them, change some controls etc.

Move on.

Stop trying to bicker over this shit. I'm no debating your personal view on how it will look like, I'm telling you FACTUALLY they have made new character models that proves they are more likely to do that with a remaster collection vs just leave it as you saw with that BC update or something. The fact that all the FF remasters have those updated character models or improved shows that when it comes to the main FF series or KH, they will improve that vs simply a BC update that fucking didn't.

Move on my guy, you don't even have much to say such a thing can't or won't happen as we don't even have a history of Square ever NOT porting a major FF simply cause BC, they didn't even fucking do that with PS3 having BC to PS1, you still saw a FFVII, FFVIII and FFXI port lol

" FFXIII which was a graphical showpiece at the time and still looks very good" Thats nice bud and the new character models will make them look even better and the control fixes will be even better and the new textures will be even better

Where the fuck did you get that they would NOT do more? Why are you even now making it sound like NOTHING ELSE could be done? The massive lolz

Last edited:

Banned
LOL Tidus with these gifs made me a believer, I will likely purchase that collection..WHEN it comes out.

01011001 01011001 "these are all games that released before the HD era, that would look like ass on an HD screen." the lolz, I don't care, none of that is being debated sir. You stated that you would not expect Square to do anything else outside of what you saw from that update. You are free to feel that way, but history says otherwise.

More factual evidence shows that they tend to alter character models, improve them, change some controls etc.

Move on.

Stop trying to bicker over this shit. I'm no debating your personal view on how it will look like, I'm telling you FACTUALLY they have made new character models that proves they are more likely to do that with a remaster collection vs just leave it as you saw with that BC update or something. The fact that all the FF remasters have those updated character models or improved shows that when it comes to the main FF series or KH, they will improve that vs simply a BC update that fucking didn't.

Move on my guy, you don't even have much to say such a thing can't or won't happen as we don't even have a history of Square ever NOT porting a major FF simply cause BC, they didn't even fucking do that with PS3 having BC to PS1, you still saw a FFVII, FFVIII and FFXI port lol

and I tell you that improving PS1 and PS2 graphics is easy, improving Xbox 360 graphics without it looking weird is not. and simply comparing the original PS360 version to the One X version of these games, even tho they "only" run in enhanced back compat, is already improving the graphics to such a degree that I highly doubt much would be done to further improve things from there.

and I'm not saying it won't happen btw. I actually expect it to happen at some point, simply because it is not back compat on Playstation, and of course there's the Switch they can profit off of as well. but THESE will be the reasons such a collection will be made, not because they actually will improve much. maybe a 4K ai upsampled version of the FMVs that are in the back compat versions or something... and 4K HUDs etc. but that will be about it.

EDMIX

and I tell you that improving PS1 and PS2 graphics is easy, improving Xbox 360 graphics without it looking weird is not

Doesn't matter bud.

You saw Square do new models and change controls and add textures etc on games regardless if they are from PS1, PS2, PS3 or even fucking PS4 to PS4 lol At the end of the day , from PS1 to PS2 is no different then from PS2 to PS3 and yes from PS3 to PS4. We are not even talking about this shit coming to PS4, we are saying fucking PS5, several generations different. OP legit said modern consoles as I believe they mean the current Series X and PS5. So if Square will port from PS1 to PS2 or PS2 to PS3, I don't know why you really think nothing will really be done outside of resolution and frames and it would legit be on PS5. Doubtful bud.

Stop.

Its not asking you fucking opinion on how you feel, if you like it or if you feel it will be weird, its telling you from 1 gen to another and even within the same gen....they have made remasters, different editions etc that have those updates that go beyond res and frame.

This is telling you it will happene cause it has happened, not how you feel about it with your feelings man.

is already improving the graphics to such a degree that I highly doubt much would be done to further improve things from there.

Your "doubt" offers no examples and very little evdience that Square would do that. Like I stated...they have done this in the past and most times it is with improved character models, fixing control stuff etc. Its not simply JUST what you saw from that update for BC, no evidence even exist to argue they'd do that with a major FF title, they didn't do that with what we saw with those remasters before, I see nothing arguing that would happen here.

I actually expect it to happen at some point, simply because it is not back compat on Playstation

The lolz continues lol Sir, it will happen because Square wants money. Thats it. They literally ported to systems with BC before, its irrelevant to them as they are looking to make money, not provide you with the game out of the kindness of their hearts cause lack of BC as watch that same fucking remaster show up on Series X too, shit why on Earth do you even think you STILL see remasters come to XONE and Series X? I mean it has BC right? Why would those publishers still make a remaster on those systems if their goal is to just give you the version cause you can't play it otherwise cause they are saints and stuff? /s This is literally why people think that a remaster or port will or won't happen, they think its happening based on BC and I've seen little to no evidence that a publisher even gives a shit about that as their goal is to SELL YOU GAMES, not fucking care if you can or can't play a version of a game they already sold you before or something. We've even seen MS and Nintendo port or remaster something on a system its literally BC to, as in its to sell you a game, not provide you some service based on the lack of this or that etc.

not because they actually will improve much

You can debate the degree of how much that will really impove the game, its irrelevant to the fact that they have changed character models, improved controls and other things in the past. On all fronts, your original post is a massive no, unlikely and I see nothing here to expect them to simply just ONLY do resolution and frames etc. You can feel Life Is Strange looks like shit, but if they did that within a generation, I'm doubtful on a mainline FF they would just ignore adding more, regardless of how you personally feel about that improvement. That is irrelevant to anything in this thread btw.

Have a good one =)

Exede

Guess i'm a minority here, i liked 13, platinumed 13-2 but man i hated all of Returns. Tryed it 3x to play through it but never got me to finish it couse i disliked it a lot.

Last edited:

TidusYuna

I hope they do a physical remaster trilogy, X-2 and lightning returns had a bunch dlc, would be nice to have dlc on disc or cart.

Last edited:
Top Bottom