• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tomb Raider Remastered Trilogy New Gameplay Videos Released

BigLee74

I remember thinking it was awesome back in the days, has it not aged well?
Overall, still an awesome game. Boss fights aside, the graphics were great for the time and the reimagining of most of the levels was spot on. In particular, they turned Cistern into a great level - who’d have thought that could be achieved?

Con-Z-epT

Live from NeoGAF, it's Friday Night!
Was there any update on trophies? Not sure whether to buy on ps4 or ps5

Would love to know if its confirmed no platinum on ps5

It should be dual entitlement for both versions. No Platinum for the PS5 version is confirmed.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Floaty controls, terrible use of DoF and Bloom. And some of the worst QTEs ever put in a videogame.
Also iconic music missing from iconic moments in the game.
Do you know how jarring it is to walk into a room and expect to be greeted by some grand music but instead get silence.

Anyway this looks great and it also great you get a wide-screen HD version of the original too with graphic fixes.
If you wanted to play it authentically.
But the Redone graphics looks great too, seems up to PS2 standard which is good enough.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Is this the revamp mode? Maybe HDR?

Quake Remastered have the same problem. I have the original and the remastered is extremely dark in comparison.
They switch back and forth. New mode is darker in some places.
I dont know if it supports HDR. I doubt it

TGO

Isn't there a torch or lighter in the TR series? I wonder if this is how it was actually supposed to be so that you would use them more, because I barely remember using any lighting methods due to the original's lighting.
Flares so yes
I'm just going to say it, this the dumbest post in history.
I agree

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Isn't there a torch or lighter in the TR series? I wonder if this is how it was actually supposed to be so that you would use them more, because I barely remember using any lighting methods due to the original's lighting.
yes there is. I forgot. Maybe now a reason to use it !!!

TGO

They've included moves Lara had in The Last Revelation.

Although I don't remember the crouching forward flip 🤔
Lara can also Jump Twist in TR1

Last edited:

cireza

To be fair in your first shot it made 0 sense
Video-games are not about making sense, they are about creating a context in which you can have fun. If everything is super dark and I can't see shit, then I am not going to have fun.

Nintendo World Report says the Switch performance is 1080p docked and 720p handheld at a solid 60fps!
We finally found the generation of games that the Switch can handle !

Last edited:

TGO

Their mouths actually move in in-game Cutscenes 😂

bender

What time is it?
I'm just going to say it, this the dumbest remake in history.
maxresdefault.jpg

TGO

Looks simple and ok. I’m more and more impressed with this remaster. They did a ton of work. Konami should be burned to the ground for how they rereleased MGS at double the price.
I can't disagree with that.

Sephimoth

I'm gonna say I'm probably gonna stick to classic controls as you can't backflip with modern controls it seems
Obviously haven't played it yet, but it'd be nice if pressing jump and a direction while holding the walk key jumps sideways/back. Have a feeling the modern controls will get tweaked in updates

Last edited:
Reactions: TGO

nkarafo

What i don't like is that the models have received a huge amount of extra polygons while the environments are pretty much the same. That makes the models stick out like they don't belong there.

Because of this i prefer the Openlara project over this. You get the HD graphics, up to 240fps, widescreen and some improved effects like the water and the result feels more even.

Last edited:
The modern controls are the main draw here. I tried playing these on emulator a while back and the tank controls were just painful. It was a temporary and awkward step on the path to 3d graphics. This basically makes these games playable again.

The modern controls are the main draw here. I tried playing these on emulator a while back and the tank controls were just painful. It was a temporary and awkward step on the path to 3d graphics. This basically makes these games playable again.
the more the merrier "in regard to new people that can play the games" but it does look like you might be in for a rough awakening "judging by how inaccurate streamers are playing with modern controls (as i always said they would do). :)

Last edited:

tommib

The awkward step is where we are now when Lara and Drake move in autopilot, following jumping scripts we have no control of. Tank controls is where it’s at.

LordBritish

This was the first game I tried when I got my first 3dFX card and it was a jawdropping experience...
Probably MS-Dos 6 and autoexec.bat and config.sys were kicking

Last edited:

JayK47

It is jarring to go back to these older games and play them. No way points, no hand holding. I do appreciate the updated graphics and controls for sure. I enjoyed playing through the older GTA games and 007 recently.

The awkward step is where we are now when Lara and Drake move in autopilot, following jumping scripts we have no control of. Tank controls is where it’s at.
To each his own. Older is usually better these days, but I don't think 3D tank controls are one of those examples.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
To each his own. Older is usually better these days, but I don't think 3D tank controls are one of those examples.
You cannot play the game as it was designed without tank controls. I have yet to play with a different scheme adapting to that level design and the intended gameplay experience as well as tank controls or better.

Last edited:

TexMex

I have such a huge soft spot for Tomb Raider 2. I remember playing the demo over and over in the 90s

Driving the boat through the glass bridge was the coolest thing I had ever seen in a 3D action game to that point.

The first two games here are wonderful. 3 gets a bad rep but I'd agree it's the weakest of the bunch.

I think this may have been posted but for trophy hunters, the PS5 versions do NOT have platinum trophies, but the PS4 versions do. If you've hunting for the plats, make sure you install the PS4 apps on your PS5.

TexMex

You cannot play the game as it was designed without tank controls. I have yet to play with a different scheme adapting to that level design and the intended gameplay experience.

This. And I will never, ever get the hate for the controls in these original games. They so mathematical, entirely grid based. Learn the system and you're doing some insane stuff. It's actual gameplay instead of just hit X without any fear of not making a jump whatsoever we get today.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Game looks great but the difference in lighting between original and new is a bit comical.

QDh5vQz.png

2LHwqQt.png
Helllooo designers (see the TR1 cave part at the beginning…). I get it cave = dark, no light shiny shiny = daaaark cave. Make something up… add some fixtures in the rock, add some reflective slabs of something… can’t see shit 😂.

I am starting to think they got a script to place light sources based on what it detected to be a light source and ignored any kind of ambient lighting that allowed you to know… move around :D.

It was eery and moody enough, it did not need to become dark and foreboding too :p.

Last edited:

bigdad2007

Much like with most PS1 games a “proper” remake as some are calling for would make it an entirely different game.

Might as well just make a sequel at that point. Unless you have some weirdness where you want to play “every” game in a series but dislike how the old ones play.

At that point just watch a let’s play because changing the mechanics in a game like Tomb Raider changes the game.

Christmas Eve 1996, we've had our dinner and opened presents, I'd already asked for Tomb Raider a couple of weeks earlier and sure enough it's there. I go up to my room, tuck in in front of my little CRT TV and begin one of the most enchanting gaming experiences of my entire life, magical is an understatement.

Looks like they did everything right with this remaster, TR fans rejoice! It's an extra 10% off with PS+ FYI so $27 for three stone cold classics, steal of the year. Annoyed there aren't any plats for the PS5 version but whatever, that's not why I'm buying it.

For these particular games though they're vital since the entire level design and platforming is based around tank controls. All the people buying this who play on "modern" controls are going to hate these games and regret their purchase. Platforming will be trivialized and broken with "modern" controls.

Top Bottom