• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone |OT3| Apollo has landed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, if you need anyone to beta test, this thread should help you find people.
If I had to put an estimate, I should have the game ported over after 2 weeks; after that I just have to fix up some minor bugs. Then I'm all set to start adding in the features I never got time for in the original version (things like particle effects, extra enemy types and the highscore)

Too bad it seems MS is canning XNA :/
Sadly, although there is still hope that it's just on the backburner until the next Xbox comes out, Its what XNA was made for in the first place. If not, I can take my skills onto MonoGame while slowly building up my C++ skills.

I've wondered how XNA is like compared to C++ to a new programmer.

And finally, after the factory reset, wireless syncing now works. I wonder why it didn't work before that.

Also, while installing marketplace apps, if something messes up, seems like there will be temporary files for that taking up space. Seems like that's all the unaccounted space...

I've wondered how XNA is like compared to C++ to a new programmer.
XNA (though what you're thinking of is C#) Is extremely easy compared to C++, to a new programmer C++ is the equivalent of shooting yourself in the foot multiple times until you get that "a'ha moment" whereas with C#+XNA you can jump in and have images+sprites flying around the screen within 30 minutes.

XNA (though what you're thinking of is C#) Is extremely easy compared to C++, to a new programmer C++ is the equivalent of shooting yourself in the foot multiple times until you get that "a'ha moment" whereas with C#+XNA you can jump in and have images+sprites flying around the screen within 30 minutes.

Hmm

Do you think I should still try out C# anyway these days?

Also, wireless sync can be liberating. One more free USB slot and faster charging through AC?

Hmm

Do you think I should still try out C# anyway these days?

I'd say go for it. C# will always be around and I personally find it the easiest of the 3 to work in (the three being C, C# and C++). Not to mention XNA is still a great tool to develop with, even if it does disappear forever (and when it does, you can move onto MonoGame which allows you to port to IOS/Android/Playstation/Mac simply without any major code rewrites)

Just make sure that you really get down the fundamentals of Object Oriented Programming, For loops (foreach loop is best loop) While Loops, Ifs, Declaring Variables, Lists and Arrays...Or basically the first 10 episodes of any "Tutorial" Series on youtube; before you move onto XNA.

If you stuck with it, you should know everything you needed to start with XNA after a week, then its just fun from there on. You just have to remember that you need Visual Studio 2012 Express Edition and the WP SDK to make things for WP8, but to actually deploy to your phone you need a $99 developer subscription (unless you're a student, in which case its free).

If you don't want to do that, I would install Visual Studio 2010 Express+Standard XNA and make Windows Desktop Games instead.

derFeef

Great OT.

I find it pretentious, like the commercial for Surface with all the skinny jean wearing models jumping around and dancing with tablets. I'd like less "style" and more substance. It's like they are aiming for the Xbox demographic and don't care about adults.

ms-surface-commercial-300x167.jpg

"Im gonna make this one and only post in this thread so my stand is clear, and I am not going to discuss or answer any questions because duh"

Cipherr

RIM loses patent suit to Nokia

Research In Motion (RIM) lost a contract dispute over the use of Nokia (NOK) patents in a case which could stop the sales of its BlackBerry phones if it doesn't reach a deal to pay royalties to Nokia, reports Reuters. A Swedish arbitrator ruled that "RIM was in breach of contract and is not entitled to manufacture or sell WLAN products without first agreeing royalties with Nokia," according to Nokia.

Has WP8 and by extension the Lumia's even been launched in Belgium? Because I sure as hell can't find any yet in stores.

I know this thing is in high demand, so I'm wondering when I'll eventually get to hold one in real life...

maeh2k

I'd really want a Windows Phone but they are really lagging here in in Europe. I assume that by the time the 920 is over here, a new and vastly superior mobile will be due to launch in the States. I really don't like buying a weak cell when there is a better option out there.

There won't be a new and vastly superior phone for quite some time. There may be phones with higher specs on paper, but Windows Phone has never been about the specs race. The OS is optimized for the dual-core snapdragons and since they are in every WP8, so are the apps.
Not sure what the situation with the 920 is where you are, but in large parts of Europe it's available and if you wanted to buy one off-contract they could surely ship to you.

got about 20 "no sim card" errors today on my 8X that ive had for a week. Only way to fix it is to reboot it. Thinking about returning it and going back to my HD7 :( :( :(

Probably won't work, but may be worth a try: when you get the error activate and then deactivate airplane mode. I have an issue with my prepaid card where it loses the network from time to time (no sim error; limited to emergency calls) and going in and out of airplane mode works.

PG2G

Sadly, although there is still hope that it's just on the backburner until the next Xbox comes out, Its what XNA was made for in the first place. If not, I can take my skills onto MonoGame while slowly building up my C++ skills.

Have you looked at sharpdx? http://www.sharpdx.org/

If you're gonna learn something, might as well get familiar with DirectX, even if there will be some differences from the native version.

hwalker84

That says they are distributing it and references the digitimes rumor about Foxconn producing it.

I'd love to see what Microsoft can do with the hardware. After the build quality of my Surface :drools:

All I need to switch is a solid camera along the lines of Lumia 920. Nokia Drive. Best build quality and specs.

Ghost

Chili Con Carnage!
I'd love to see what Microsoft can do with the hardware. After the build quality of my Surface :drools:

All I need to switch is a solid camera along the lines of Lumia 920. Nokia Drive. Best build quality and specs.

The only point to MS making their own hardware I can see is trying to compete with Google selling Nexus devices at cost. Nokia are already making great hardware and charging less for it than Samsung & Apple.

JaggedSac

The only point to MS making their own hardware I can see is trying to compete with Google selling Nexus devices at cost. Nokia are already making great hardware and charging less for it than Samsung & Apple.

More great hardware is more likely to tickle the fancies of more people. Different strokes for different folks and all.

Have you looked at sharpdx? http://www.sharpdx.org/

If you're gonna learn something, might as well get familiar with DirectX, even if there will be some differences from the native version.

A little bit, though I sort of want to hold off on SharpDX for a bit; mainly because i'm not in a hurry. Actually I'm within my first year at College within their Game Programming program (Which should really just be called Advanced Graphical Programming) with 2 more years to go. We are wrapping up C# and starting XNA in Janurary, so I'm mainly just getting a headstart for the class. Then over the summer I'll prep myself for C++ for year 2 and we'll be doing C++ and actual Direct X.

AnkitT

Lumia 800 reporting in. Probably going to rough it through this upgrade cycle before deciding on next phone. Still waiting for 7.8™.

kazinova

One week in and the Windows Phone xbox live release schedule has died. Damnit Microsoft, you're sitting on a bunch of games, just release one.

One of the things that I've noticed that download sizes tend to be smaller than installation size, especially for games.

Crimson Dragon? Yeah, 150 MB download, seemed to unpack to almost a gigabyte. Anyone else notice the same?

PG2G

There are still niches to fill when it comes to WP. There are no good small screen phones for instance, which a lot of people aren't too happy with. If you want a 4" phone you have to sacrifice build quality, HD, storage, camera, everything. If Microsoft could build a TRUE iPhone competitor that'd probably be pretty nice.

thirty

Banned
One of the things that I've noticed that download sizes tend to be smaller than installation size, especially for games.

Crimson Dragon? Yeah, 150 MB download, seemed to unpack to almost a gigabyte. Anyone else notice the same?
wait, there's no Crimson Dragon on WP8 right?

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
Is it possible to have Xbox Music not read my Zune Pass collection? The reason is if I create a playlist on Xbox Music using matched songs from my Zune Pass, the playlist on my phone has the songs streaming even though they are on my phone. So I was thinking I may have to redownload all my songs in Xbox Music and then make the playlists.

JaggedSac

No, that along with Dodonpachi. I hope they fix it soon to work with WP8 but I don't have much hope the way Microsoft is handling the platform.

BTW, you can use Bing points to buy Microsoft card to use on Windows Phone Marketplace. Bought couple games with it.

Wait, so there are some WP7 apps that do not work with WP8?

Wait, so there are some WP7 apps that do not work with WP8?
Several, mostly games. I thought everyone knew this. They kinda gloss over it during Windows Phone 8 announcement and there was rumor about many incompatibility between WP7 and 8. I wasn't expecting 100% compatibility considering they switch the kernel but damm if it still not annoying. I don't play much mobile game but Dodonpachi is one I enjoy a lot.

PG2G

Is it possible to have Xbox Music not read my Zune Pass collection? The reason is if I create a playlist on Xbox Music using matched songs from my Zune Pass, the playlist on my phone has the songs streaming even though they are on my phone. So I was thinking I may have to redownload all my songs in Xbox Music and then make the playlists.

I haven't seen a way to prevent Xbox Music from streaming everything on a cloud playlist unfortunately.

hwalker84

Several, mostly games. I thought everyone knew this. They kinda gloss over it during Windows Phone 8 announcement and there was rumor about many incompatibility between WP7 and 8. I wasn't expecting 100% compatibility considering they switch the kernel but damm if it still not annoying. I don't play much mobile game but Dodonpachi is one I enjoy a lot.

Yep my girl was really angry about three things.

1.) Navigation got worse since she went with HTC (I'm talking the tap to speech). She had a 710 but never used Nokia Drive because it wasn't integrated enough.

2.) No TuneInRadio (She's still pissed)

3.) No Bing Translate (Resolved)

The single thing that annoy's me is that there's no counters app now that it's rolled in with data sense (Verizon Exclusive).

Fjolle

I thought that Tune in was Nokia supported somehow?

And the 920 isn't out in Denmark yet, even though they have commercials for it everywhere...

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
What does everyone think of the IE10 browser? Good? Bad? Otherwise? Is it that much difference performance wise from IE9?

And the 920 isn't out in Denmark yet, even though they have commercials for it everywhere...
No, tune in is gone, I don't know if it is because they got rid of FM feature, but I thought the stations were streaming.

The problem us no words from Microsoft regarding the fix.

Doffen

One or two online retailers here in Norway already sent out their stock, and I’ve heard of people being surprised over unannounced packages in their mail.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom