• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone |OT3| Apollo has landed

Status
Not open for further replies.

SeanR1221

Damn, things looking a little gloomy on the gaming side. The trifecta of Angry Birds in Space, Angry Birds Star Wars and Cut the Rope gave me hope when W8 launched. Now it's been one botched release after another.

Here's hoping MS can get their shit together. Hopefully those 12 Gameloft games come out sooner rather than later.

SeanR1221

Well, two things coming from iOS...

There is an almost overwhelming amount of games on iOS.

I would buy everything and play nothing. It was a collection mindset. Very different with how I treat my Xbox, where I usually keep about 20 games at a time, and sell the ones I'm not playing.

An example is Cut the Rope. On iOS, I barely played the original, but on WP8 I almost have 600 stars.

The other factor is achievements. That definitely motivates me to keep playing games.

PG2G

WP8 version is Baconit is out. Adds fast resume and also the ability to update your lock screen wallpaper with images from the subreddit of your choice.

SeanR1221

Trying the Xbox music pass. How do I add songs to my collection through the phone? Its easy on the desktop but I can't figure it out on my phone.

edit: looks like its the download button. Is that then held on your phone or in the cloud?

ElNino

Trying the Xbox music pass. How do I add songs to my collection through the phone? Its easy on the desktop but I can't figure it out on my phone.

edit: looks like its the download button. Is that then held on your phone or in the cloud?
Downloading music saves it on your phone.

Your "collection" is songs you've purchased on Xbox Music and songs you've matched on Xbox Music. You can't really add to your collection via the phone unless you buy something.

I thought you could build playlists like Spotify without purchasing the actual music?

Quikies83

I thought you could build playlists like Spotify without purchasing the actual music?

Not on the phone.. sucks.
You can add songs/albums to a playlist - even title the playlist - but I'm not seeing how I can add songs to a existing playlist. You have to just keep on creating playlists... Doesn't seem right but that's how it is.
I hope Spotify is able to release a Windows 8 app in the next few weeks.

The HTC HD2 will never die!

Now, before people start pointing pitchforks towards Microsoft, keep in mind that user experience is not guaranteed to be smooth and error-free. Coming from someone who had flashed Cyanogenmod on his Galaxy S before he went WP, yeah. It's even below spec for WVGA WP8 devices, so app compatibility is already a concern.

SeanR1221

Not on the phone.. sucks.
You can add songs/albums to a playlist - even title the playlist - but I'm not seeing how I can add songs to a existing playlist. You have to just keep on creating playlists... Doesn't seem right but that's how it is.
I hope Spotify is able to release a Windows 8 app in the next few weeks.

That's terrible. Definitely makes me second guess if I want to use Xbox Music.

PG2G

Playlist management on the phone is pretty much a disaster. I don't know why they have had so much trouble with it. I guess they expect that people will primarily make playlists at home and use them on mobile. For my use, it is true for the most part, but I'd love to have the option to.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
Playlist management on the phone is pretty much a disaster. I don't know why they have had so much trouble with it. I guess they expect that people will primarily make playlists at home and use them on mobile. For my use, it is true for the most part, but I'd love to have the option to.

That would be fine if wouldn't stream songs that are already on your phone.

Jeels

I like the metro UI within apps, but damn do those live tiles look ugly. Especially when its all one color on a solid background.

I used to think the tiles looked nice, what happened. :(

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
I like the metro UI within apps, but damn do those live tiles look ugly. Especially when its all one color on a solid background.

Nah, think mine looks quite nice!

My home screen

start1.jpg

start2.jpg

start3.jpg

I had my doubts about the removal of the gutter, but I am a convert. WP8 Start screens look great--they really need to be seen to be appreciated.

PG2G

Yeah, having a bunch of tiles that just use the accent color as the background can get boring real quick. It is pretty easy to break the monotony though. Lots of apps have fixed colors, you have things like Photos, Music, People/Groups/Rooms that show dynamic content.

Lots of examples of interesting start screens here: http://mytil.es/

Heretic

I don't think you can, but you can change the setting in IE to open new pages in a separate tab and see if that allows the page you want to load.

I have that enabled.

In order to connect to wifi at work I have to bypass a firewall. when I login, a popup appears and I have to leave that open in order to surf the web.

When I try to login I get the following error message "To get access you will need to ensure that pop-ups are are not blocked"

Windows Phone sales up 300%

Sales of Windows Phone 8 handsets have taken off just one month after the devices were introduced, according to Microsoft.

Steve Ballmer, Microsoft's chief executive, told shareholders in a meeting on Wednesday that sales of Windows Phone-based handsets in the month since launch were 300-percent higher than the same period last year.

However, Ballmer did not say exactly how many devices have been sold, and the earlier generation of Windows Phone handsets, running Windows Phone 7 and Windows Phone 7.5, have not sold particularly well.

Analyst house Gartner estimates for the fourth quarter of 2011, Windows Phone sales were around 2.8 million. Should the platform see its fourth-quarter sales for 2012 remain 300-percent higher than those of 2011, Microsoft can expect to shift around 11 million devices.

Wow, you guys will complain about anything. Do you realize what date it is? Not to mention, testing a fix for a bug that is intermittent and only affects a subset of phones isn't necessarily that easy.

Fact is, this is an example of a quick response not a slow one. I understand the complaints that Microsoft is slow with feature updates, but they are normally pretty good about critical bug fixes.
I am the only one complaining. The same guy that complain about how slow NoDo was and how mess up Mango and the none existence of subsequence update.

I don't think Microsoft is moving fast enough with their platform. May be I am being unrealistic. With Apple they may deny the issue or minimize them but all company does that what they do however is follow up and fix it. They already release bug fix for iOS6 and the problem were not as pressing as the phone self rebooting of Windows Phone 8.

Well let hope rumor of December OTA update is true and not the usual schedule update that we probably won't see till sometimes in early 2013 and have this being replay of NoDo.

PG2G

I am the only one complaining. The same guy that complain about how slow NoDo was and how mess up Mango and the none existence of subsequence update.

I don't think Microsoft is moving fast enough with their platform. May be I am being unrealistic. With Apple they may deny the issue or minimize them but all company does that what they do however is follow up and fix it. They already release bug fix for iOS6 and the problem were not as pressing as the phone self rebooting of Windows Phone 8.

Well let hope rumor of December OTA update is true and not the usual schedule update that we probably won't see till sometimes in early 2013 and have this being replay of NoDo.

I know you're disappointed with how things have gone, but you should try and keep your expectations in check or you're going to just be more disappointed (even if not warranted).

1 week ago - Microsoft looking into the issue
2 days ago - Microsoft works with partners to identify the issue

December (which begins in 2 days) - their goal for releasing the update

Things that still need to happen

Fix the issue - which might involve Microsoft, HTC, and Nokia
Test the issue - which might involve Microsoft, HTC, and Nokia

You can't expect a turn around of a couple of days.

I know you're disappointed with how things have gone, but you should try and keep your expectations in check or you're going to just be more disappointed (even if not warranted).

1 week ago - Microsoft looking into the issue
2 days ago - Microsoft works with partners to identify the issue

December (which begins in 2 days) - their goal for releasing the update

Things that still need to happen

Fix the issue - which might involve Microsoft, HTC, and Nokia
Test the issue - which might involve Microsoft, HTC, and Nokia

You can't expect a turn around of a couple of days.

May be I am being unrealistic or may be I am just hoping Microsoft will realize how behind they are in this new post-PC world. NPD just report drop of 20% in Windows, I won't be surprise next year it will be 40-50% decrease as more and more people move computing to thing other than PC.

Anyway, I am just very sour (or more like disillusion) with the Windows Phone 8 I supposed. Just when I thought they get it, they turn around and do things like removing features, crappy Xbox support both games and the new music/video, and then the buggy Windows Phone 8, the very last thing they need.

Menelaus

Banned

Guess what sealed the deal on returning the 8X? The news blurb about the first feature add patch being 5 months away. You aren't alone, friend.

Pagusas

Elden Member
Nah, think mine looks quite nice!

If this is considered nice, then I'm completely removing W8 phones from my "think about" list when I upgrade, that's crazy bad.

I hope we are allowed to show our homescreens :)? Show me, what you got:

My Lumia 920:

This one isn't so bad. Why is there such a difference in quality here? the first one quoted makes my head hurt, the second one looks rather pleasing.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
If this is considered nice, then I'm completely removing W8 phones from my "think about" list when I upgrade, that's crazy bad.

This one isn't so bad. Why is there such a difference in quality here? the first one quoted makes my head hurt, the second one looks rather pleasing.

Maybe take your cheese head off. Anyways, everyone has different tastes. Nothing wrong with the one you quoted, but I find it a bit on the plain side.

Heretic

Quality is subjective. Make your phone look however you want it to. That's the beauty of it.

Edit: I agree with Schuey. Looks good but doesn't scream "me" to me. The thing about Schuey's is that no one else will ever have the same look of his screen.

Because personal preference is subjective? Beauty in the eyes of the beholder, yada yada...

I do agree the new Start screen can be "busy" looking. For me I enjoy the added customization and I prefer that they restrict color of tile. Have you seen some of the Windows 8 Start screen..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom