• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone |OT3| Apollo has landed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fox Mulder

Eh, somehow I don't mind paying for music but I don't think I will ever purchase an individual movie or TV show again. I can always listen to music while doing something else like driving to work, browsing the internet, or playing a game. But for movies and TV I have to devote all of my attention to it, and I don't have enough time/interest to do that more than once for any movie or TV show. And I'm not going to pay money to watch one episode of a TV show once.

I buy episodes on my iPad all the time, it's only like $2 or $3. I don't have cable, but a subscription costs way more than the money I spend on the couple of shows I give a shit about.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
I buy episodes on my iPad all the time, it's only like $2 or $3. I don't have cable, but a subscription costs way more than the money I spend on the couple of shows I give a shit about.

Now that every major platform has subscription services for music (iOS through 3rd party apps, lol Apple), video and music purchases are the same thing. You can stream 99% of what you want, and buy the 1% things you love. I can think of a few reasons to buy shows/movies digitally; travel, offline access, convenience, or it's something you know you will want to watch multiple times.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
Not true. The accessories are Android compatible!

The packaging is so much better than the crap we get here in the US. :(

Enjoy! Welcome to the master race of smartphone cameras. You will never look at phone photography the same way ever again.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member

The packaging is so much better than the crap we get here in the US. :(

Enjoy! Welcome to the master race of smartphone cameras. You will never look at phone photography the same way ever again.

Awesome.

Yeah, the US packaging is terrible. Glad Canada gets the nice packaging, however we miss several of the Lumia's. I guess we get the ones that matter though eventually.

KageMaru

After turning off automatic SkyDrive backups for photos, does manually uploading save the "good" or "best" quality version of the photo? I only have a 928, so I don't have to worry about the larger pictures from the 1020.

edit:

looks like it's the best version from my little test.

Guys im thinking of pulling the trigger on a $90 1020 with hairline crack that goes across the screen...hmmm its also on at&t and I'm on tmobile... will I be stuck on 2g or 3g or will I get lte....so tempting.

Treo360

Guys im thinking of pulling the trigger on a $90 1020 with hairline crack that goes across the screen...hmmm its also on at&t and I'm on tmobile... will I be stuck on 2g or 3g or will I get lte....so tempting.
if its not unlocked then it will only be a camera and an mp3 and personal media player.

Milchjon

If it was indeed coming, I'd be real happy. SA is one of my top 3 games of all time. Even a totally gimped version should be some fun. Although I guess they'd have to find a way to tone down the difficulty.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
If it was indeed coming, I'd be real happy. SA is one of my top 3 games of all time. Even a totally gimped version should be some fun. Although I guess they'd have to find a way to tone down the difficulty.

Yeah, speaking of games, where is the Rayman sequel for Windows Mobile?

Milchjon

Yeah, speaking of games, where is the Rayman sequel for Windows Mobile?

:-(

Rayman Jungle Run is stunningly good. It really did a lot to make me realize that Gaming side's hate for phone games is as misplaced as most of their hate is. Of course some games will need a controller, but good game design is universal and I love having this game in my pocket.

Edit: LOL, half the SA thread in Gaming is banned for port begging. We'll be gone too now that we've talked Rayman!

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member

Rayman Jungle Run is stunningly good. It really did a lot to make me realize that Gaming side's hate for phone games is as misplaced as most of their hate is. Of course some games will need a controller, but good game design is universal and I love having this game in my pocket.

Edit: LOL, half the SA thread in Gaming is banned for port begging. We'll be gone too now that we've talked Rayman!

There are safe bubbles on Gaf. I think this is one of them :)

Prettty sure the Rayman sequel was at least announced though.

Fox Mulder

I played the shit out of vice city on an iPad mini and didn't think it was gimped. The touch screen controls are about as good you're going to get and work fine. I even beat the flying rc plane mission on my first try.

I doubt it will be fun playing on a phone though. A tablet gives you more room for controls.

I'm not port begging, but it is disappointing that rockstar hasn't released these GTA games on 360/ps3. It's like how Sega only released Chu Chu Rocket for mobile platforms.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
This is definitely a safe place, the regulars here, including me, only get banned when they step out to other threads. Probably because there is little to no mod interest in the platform, plus we don't pm mods when we get trolled. I remember that one mod bought a windows phone and didn't like it.

Milchjon

This is definitely a safe place, the regulars here, including me, only get banned when they step out to other threads. Probably because there is little to no mod interest in the platform, plus we don't pm mods when we get trolled. I remember that one mod bought a windows phone and didn't like it.

Pretty sure both Bish and ThoseDeafMutes own Windows Phones. Bish was in the Instagram thread.

Also, does anyone own a 1520 yet? Any feedback on the software and Storyteller? It comes with the updated Glance Screen, right?

Wtf is port begging??

Half of the posts in this thread. : P

Where is my instagram? Snapchat? Vine? oh and that banking app by my local bank that 5 people are using. (Seriously the last one is actually the most annoying part about being on platform with low support).

I have a Moga pad and love playing console ports on my 8" android tablet. Sega has great mobile games that work amazing on the Moga; Virtual Tennis, Crazy Taxi, and Jet Set Radio.

San Andreas is great news but there's too many questions about the RT and Phone OS merging that gives me doubts investing in WP games. Perhaps Rockstar is confused too hence the "Windows Mobile" remark.

San Andreas is great news but there's too many questions about the RT and Phone OS merging that gives me doubts investing in WP games. Perhaps Rockstar is confused too hence the "Windows Mobile" remark.

Iirc, the graphics stack is virtually the same. Both support the same middleware engines as well.

Part of the windows mobile might mean that 512 devices can't run it. Or maybe you're right and they confused RT and phone.

Iirc, the graphics stack is virtually the same. Both support the same middleware engines as well.

Part of the windows mobile might mean that 512 devices can't run it. Or maybe you're right and they confused RT and phone.
same stack and engines, sure but MS is billing separately now for the same app in Phone and RT. How will this sort out with the merger? If MS makes me rebuy apps I may leave the platform for good.

gaming had such momentum with WP7 (weekly releases) but has since went to shit with WP8. Moga support was announced many months ago but yet only that Drift Mania game supports it.

KageMaru

same stack and engines, sure but MS is billing separately now for the same app in Phone and RT. How will this sort out with the merger? If MS makes me rebuy apps I may leave the platform for good.

gaming had such momentum with WP7 (weekly releases) but has since went to shit with WP8. Moga support was announced many months ago but yet only that Drift Mania game supports it.

All signs seem to point to WP OS expanding and taking over for Wrt, so I wouldn't worry about phone purchases. If MS did decide to screw over WP8 users like that, I'd probably drop the platform for good.

All signs seem to point to WP OS expanding and taking over for Wrt, so I wouldn't worry about phone purchases. If MS did decide to screw over WP8 users like that, I'd probably drop the platform for good.
sure all signs point to that but nothing has been confirmed yet.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
Held the 1520 today for the first time. It's absurdly huge. The screen is incredibly gorgeous, and the home screen comes alive with that many live tiles. It just looked incredible and I could see myself adjusting to a huge beast like that if WP Blue addressed some of the issues. Strike 1: aside from the home screen, there isn't much software taking advantage of the crazy amount of real estate. Strike 2: Nothing seemed generationally quicker or smoother than the processor in my 1020. Strike 3: the camera, while awesome, is not in the same class as the 1020 shooter. Nothing else is, which is why I would still buy the 1020 over any other phone today.

Held the 1520 today for the first time. It's absurdly huge. The screen is incredibly gorgeous, and the home screen comes alive with that many live tiles. It just looked incredible and I could see myself adjusting to a huge beast like that if WP Blue addressed some of the issues. Strike 1: aside from the home screen, there isn't much software taking advantage of the crazy amount of real estate. Strike 2: Nothing seemed generationally quicker or smoother than the processor in my 1020. Strike 3: the camera, while awesome, is not in the same class as the 1020 shooter. Nothing else is, which is why I would still buy the 1020 over any other phone today.
was the camera at least faster than the 1020?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom