• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone |OT3| Apollo has landed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Klocker

OSorry but is anyone else having issues with windows phone 8 and connecting to Facebook from any app? OS and apps are not connecting going on 13 hours

Milchjon

Reliable notifications for Facebook messages just means getting two of them everytime... Good thing I can turn them off selectivel.

Paganmoon

Has anyone in here ever run into problems with Facebook Beta? Or can I safely replace the normal app with it?

I've had batterydrain issues on my 920 with the Facebook Beta app before, and the only time I had batterydrain on my 1020 was as I recall when I started the Facebook app also. Not sure if it's an issue that's been fixed, or if it's all in my head though.

Which sync software is better? The desktop version, or the one in the Windows Store?

I found the Windows store one better for syncing Music, as the interface for the desktop version wouldn't let me select folders etc. Think they're both a bit incomplete though, in their own ways.

I've had batterydrain issues on my 920 with the Facebook Beta app before, and the only time I had batterydrain on my 1020 was as I recall when I started the Facebook app also. Not sure if it's an issue that's been fixed, or if it's all in my head though.
Yeah there was a build of the beta Facebook from probably a couple months ago that drained the shit out of my 920 battery, had to uninstall.

Speaking of battery stuff, didn't Nokia unveil smaller, cheaper Qi charging pads quite some time ago? I want to get an extra charging pad for the office, but it appears the Nokia is only selling the ones that came out when the 920 did.

I found the Windows store one better for syncing Music, as the interface for the desktop version wouldn't let me select folders etc. Think they're both a bit incomplete though, in their own ways.
I've only used the sync app for music and I've had a pretty solid experience with the Store app for that purpose.

Sometimes I don't get album art, but I think that's an "Xbox Music refuses to recognize all the my perfectly named tracks on an album" issue that happens way more than it should.

hadareud

The Translator

Good stuff.

Though I hate it that journalists, especially at the beeb, have got to be so bloody "hard hitting" in their interviews and cut people off to ask the supposedly tough questions.

All that ensures is that we're getting corporate, safe answers, when with a bit of skill you could actually get some much more interesting and revealing answers out of people.

Same goes for politics. The only one that is good at the hard hitting stuff is Paxman because he simply doesn't give a fuck.

Paganmoon

I've only used the sync app for music and I've had a pretty solid experience with the Store app for that purpose.

Sometimes I don't get album art, but I think that's an "Xbox Music refuses to recognize all the my perfectly named tracks on an album" issue that happens way more than it should.

My biggest issue with the store app is that I can't select songs and tag them as "part of this or that artist/album" if my files aren't named or tagged perfectly. Makes for alot of extra work to get a workable view while in Xbox Music.

About the album art, there's an app called MPATool for WP8, works great for adding album art.
There's a short tutorial for it here aswell, very simple and fast to use. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SljF1-OqQqA

Thanks for the feedback! The (now wonky) little stick on my k800i has pushed me to my limits, so I'll be joining Team Super tomorrow if/when my 520 gets delivered. I was hoping for the 525 to be released over here before Christmas, but it doesn't look like that's going to happen if the rumours are true. :(

About the album art, there's an app called MPATool for WP8, works great for adding album art.
There's a short tutorial for it here aswell, very simple and fast to use. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SljF1-OqQqA

I find that if I have cover art in WMP and sync using WMP, I always have correct cover art on WP8.

Is it normal that the album library disappears every time my phone is rebooted (ie when the battery is empty). I still have the songs, but no albums. When I sync again, it says "already on the device" for every song, but then the albums are back.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
That isn't normal at all. Never happened to me on 3 different WP8 devices. Though I always just use drag and drop

Speaking of, how many windows phone have the regulars here owned?

I started with a Samsung Focus, then Focus S, Lumia 920, now 1020.

MCD

Omnia 7 (destroyed thanks to Apple Juice), Focus, Lumia 800, Lumia 920 and now Lumia 1020.

Edit: Oh yeah, I also bought Lumia 620 but gifted it later.

ElNino

Focus, Lumia 900 and Lumia 1020.

My mother is using my Focus, although it has battery issues (seems Samsung used a shitty battery for the Focus and Galaxy phones then), so she wants to upgrade to a new phone. She likes the price of the 520 but she wouldn't mind a bigger screen. I'm hoping she'll just get a 920 since it will cheap (likely free) on-contract anyways.

My son (who is 7) is now using my 900, but it has no SIM so he just uses it with WiFi around the house and for music/games on the go.

Lucius86

Banned
Still can't believe Facebook notifications are working. Gobsmacked.

What are the best normal sized handsets (4-5") out there atm would people say? I'm on a Lumia 920, my gf is looking to buy a new phone and now Facebook actually works I can finally recommend WP to her.

Lumia 1020 is too expensive.
Lumia 1520 is too big.
925 seems to be the only one that's an upgrade from the 920 that I have, but I would hardly call that a jump. Has Windows Phone new handsets really been that stale?

Else I'm going to have to recommend her a HTC One.

kharma45

Still can't believe Facebook notifications are working. Gobsmacked.

What are the best normal sized handsets (4-5") out there atm would people say? I'm on a Lumia 920, my gf is looking to buy a new phone and now Facebook actually works I can finally recommend WP to her.

Lumia 1020 is too expensive.
Lumia 1520 is too big.
925 seems to be the only one that's an upgrade from the 920 that I have, but I would hardly call that a jump. Has Windows Phone new handsets really been that stale?

Else I'm going to have to recommend her a HTC One.

Nothing will appear until MWC I'd imagine. What's the rough budget?

hwalker84

Quantum (Briefly wanted the Focus but couldn't find one on craigslist)
Focus
Titan
Does my newly ordered 520 count if I'm using it as an MP3 player?

this_guy

HTC Radar, Nokia 920, HTC 8X, Nokia 925. I've also been called a troll whenever I post a criticism of Windows OS by antiquegamer who trolls this thread by calling people trolls just because they don't love MS as much as he does.

qnK64Ux.jpg

I wonder how long it will take to kill the 520.

maeh2k

qnK64Ux.jpg

I wonder how long it will take to kill the 520.

It doesn't look good for Windows Phone as a whole. Now that both cheap and great Android devices like the Moto G are arriving, Windows Phone might lose market share in the budget segment. I doubt many who are looking for a cheap phone choose the phone because of the OS and therefore Windows Phones recent growth may not be stable.
And the more expensive Windows Phones don't sell. Here's the 1020 not selling: http://wmpoweruser.com/nokia-lumia-1020-fails-to-gain-traction/

However, I don't think the Moto G will single-handedly bring down Windows Phone. The 520 (and now the 525) may have started out with an RSP of $200, but now there are offers for as little as $50 to $80. I don't think the Moto G will go down that far.

So Windows Phones will probably continue selling for a while. It's just that Microsoft isn't going to make any money off them. Especially now with sinking billions into Nokia.

maeh2k

Just being realistic. MS would probably be better served if they applied their resources somewhere else instead of fighting a war they've already lost...

Of course I'll continue recommending/buying Windows devices :)

PG2G

I could see a new low end device (53X or 63X) that is similar to the 1320 but with smaller screen (but still 720p) and battery, with removed FFC selling for $150-199.

Don't think there is any need for soon and gloom. If anything the fact that Microsoft will own Nokia means that they could accept even lesser margins than Nokia could.

Just being realistic. MS would probably be better served if they applied their resources somewhere else instead of fighting a war they've already lost...

Not competing in mobile would pretty much be surrendering one of their core businesses (Windows) to the competition. Not to mention they are showing steady gains outside of the US so it is definitely not a fight they have already lost. Overtaking iOS isn't really as far fetched as it seems.

Doffen

I really don't miss anything for Windows Phone at this very moment.

Except more Xbox games. I hope Lift London will fix that issue soon.

It's rare that people lose their doom, it's usually their belief they lose.

Nah, I didn't lose it at all. I'm just too busy to really care right now. It's silly season at work, just like every year around this time. I mean, it's 11 pm and I'm still posting from work. I couldn't care less about any market share, phones, video games or console wars. :lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom